Rose Dian Hong Black Tea

Malt, Rose, Sweet Potatoes, Floral, Flowers, Black Pepper, Pepper, Spices, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I went to fix myself this tea this morning and realized I had TWO cups' worth left, not just one like I thought. This morning I put the tea through my accidental "steep it way longer than 5...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 299 tasting notes
  • “This was my 2nd 'long hot bath' tea, because face it, one cup of tea is not enough! Lovely rose black, gentle & soothing. Just the right amount of rose, & yes, there was a sweet full rosebud...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2855 tasting notes
  • “I can't believe that I'm still the only person who has reviewed this tea. I guess it's still pretty new! I had a cup of this earlier, this time my water was for sure fine. The tea did turn out a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1909 tasting notes
  • “Waking up so early is starting to take its toll on me. I drank green tea all morning because I was awake. Chugged a Mtn Dew with lunch but it has since faded. I need go-go juice. Reached in the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1247 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Tea from Fengqing (凤庆), Yunnan. Roses come from France

Ingredients: Rose and Dian Hong Black Tea

Harvest time: 23 April, 2013

Taste: It has strong rose fragrance, companioned by the sweet flavor of Dian Hong.

Health Benefits: Black teas contain antioxidants, which help in the prevention of some cancers and help reduce the affects of aging that is caused by free radicals. They can also reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks due to natural chemicals that reduce cholesterol.

About Teavivre View company

The rose taste is present but not strong nor does it taste like you are drinking a bottle of perfume. The tea is not bad, just not for me. I have determined I just don’t like the flower taste in a black tea.

I don’t like flavored teas. I usually end up burping the added flavor for hours after I’m done with the tea, which is about as pleasant as the picture I just forced into your head by typing that first sentence. (ew) So I have put off trying this tea. This is my last Teavivre tea left to try. I couldn’t put it off any longer, so here I sit, staring into the cup.

Dry there wasn’t a blast of rose, only a rose scent (which for me translates to a floral mustiness) that actually blends well with the scent of the dian hong leaves. I DID get a full wee rosebud (about the size of a mini marshmallow) in the sample pack. It was kind of…well… lovely! Hmmmm… maybe this wasn’t going to be as bad as I expected! And guess what?

I almost love this tea! I’ve finished half the cup and I’ve not burped once. I adore TeaVivre’s Dian Hong, and this cup is no exception… the tea is lovely, smooth, no astringency, nice healthy mouthfeel…. and that is usually enough for me. But today it feels like I got the piece of birthday cake with a letter from someones name on it….you know…that sugary hard letter that sometimes had part of the cardboard still stuck to it? Yeah, that! That is what I’d compare this tea to. Getting the cake is great, but when you get something unexpectedly extra, like a letter or a flower on the piece of cake, you feel special. TeaVivre’s dian hong is lovely by itself, but adding the rose (though not something I would want to do every day) made it feel special. I don’t think I’d drink it every day, but I most certainly won’t be giving away the other sample packets I receive, because, hey, sometimes you need to be the one that gets the sugary letter on the birthday cake. And it always makes you smile when it’s you.

Flavors: Malt, Rose, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
Terri HarpLady

This really is a lovely tea, & all the more so because it’s just tea & roses.

The first thing I notice about this tea is how pretty it is! Gold and chocolate-colored tea leaves rolled into narrow strips, decorated with bright pink rose petals. My sample even included a perfect, whole rose bud. I admit, I plucked it out and sniffed it. Dried roses smell a lot like fresh ones, only a tad more peppery. It had also absorbed some of the decadent Fujian black tea flavor. Mmm.

The tea itself is a little more mellow than I expected, but I like it. Unlike some rose teas I’ve tried in the past, this one isn’t too peppery with the rose flavor. It’s mild and comforting. In the black tea I taste notes of sweet potato and dinner rolls. I know dinner rolls is sort of a weird descriptor, but it’s good! I love the fact that Teavivre never skimps on the quality of the black teas they use for flavored teas. It’s always something that would be fantastic on its own.

There’s something very relaxing about it. I would love to try this again during the winter, to enjoy the summery rose contrasted against the cold.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Rose, Sweet Potatoes

Last of my samples from Teavivre. So I saved this one. Had a cup with lunch and an episode of Ounce Upon a Time. (Which doesn’t have enough genies.)

Anyway… this has a great scent. I so enjoy the smell of roses. There is a really good floral black tea flavour as well. Would be a good tea for a tea event.

Flavors: Flowers

Lariel

I made this for my mom yesterday (to go with the Mother’s Day bread), and she really liked it.

Thank you so much for these samples, Angel!

I’m always up for a rose tea. I’m impressed with the base right off the bat. Lightly malty. The first couple sits are disappointingly mostly base with almost no rose whatsoever. But wait for this to cool and the rose blossoms. Love it!

Stephanie

Angel is awesome. I love Teavivre!

Fjellrev

I know, right? I can’t get over how generous she is.

TheTeaFairy

This tea sounds just lovely! I have also some generous samples coming my way, can’t wait, she is the greatest :-)

Time for a full review :)

the leaves look almost like black pine tree needles :D

when i smell the dry leaves/flowers, it smells like a very good black tea should :) nice and peppery :)

when i smell the liquid it smells nice and peppery :)

when i drink the tea its peppery and spicy :)

the best black tea i have ever tried! thank you angel teavivre for selling me this great black tea! :D

I’m adding 5 points to the score

Flavors: Black Pepper, Pepper, Spices, Spicy

TheTeaFairy

Sounds lovely…

It is rare that one finds a rose tea in which the rose isn’t overpowering, but distinctively there. Props to having an excellent rose flavor without even touching perfumeyness. The tea leaf (dry) smells like chocolate and roses! Lovely.