Jasmine Bi Luo Chun Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 134. I actually sipped this one down the other day but completely forgot to log it! I do like this one a lot, in part because the jasmine is so inobtrusive. Sometimes you don't want to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1850 tasting notes
  • “This is really good. I love how I drink my light spring teas now that it's Autumn. And I think I was drinking Pumpkin Chai in the Spring. Anyway, this is very light and floral but.. not in a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1392 tasting notes
  • “Backlog - I tried this tea in my gaiwan last night. Eeep, first review too! Thanks to *Angel* at Teavivre for this free sample! The dry smell is wonderfully jasmine, so yummy smelling! I am pretty...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 820 tasting notes
  • “I was pretty excited to see a new jasmine in the Teavivre lineup because they do jasmine so very well. Bi Luo Chun is one of my husband's favorite teas to drink with Chinese takeout so I am eager...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Bi Luo Chun is grown in Fuding (福鼎), Fujian, China. Jasmine comes from Hengxian County (横县) in Guangxi Province, China

Ingredients: Jasmine and Bi Luo Chun Green Tea

Harvest time: April 20, 2013

Taste: Smooth and sweet, has brisk flavor with long-lasting jasmine fragrance

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

I do like this one a lot, in part because the jasmine is so inobtrusive. Sometimes you don’t want to be drinking a bouquet of flowers (for many of you that is all of the time, but for me it is only sometimes). This is light and fresh and green, with some sweet snap pea notes to it. The kind of jasmine green I would want for an everyday jasmine tea, if my stash ever got low enough that I needed such a thing. Glad to have gotten a chance to try this sample! Thanks Teavivre!

This is really good.

I love how I drink my light spring teas now that it’s Autumn. And I think I was drinking Pumpkin Chai in the Spring.

Anyway, this is very light and floral but.. not in a bad way? Sometimes I think Jasmine = YUCK, but it’s good. It’s not in your face, and it’s also nice and sweet too. I would definitely drink more of this, and I think that this would help promote more enjoyment of teas that aren’t just black. I should drink at least one tea per day that isn’t black… I have so much of it. :P

(SIPDOWN)

Thank you Angel for the sample!

Backlog – I tried this tea in my gaiwan last night. Eeep, first review too! Thanks to Angel at Teavivre for this free sample! The dry smell is wonderfully jasmine, so yummy smelling! I am pretty sure I overleafed a bit lol, as I put in my whole sample package when I probably should have only used half.

I did a quick rinse, then made the first cup for 30s and the second for 50s. I had the second, and it was wayyyy tooo strong. Probably from overleafing though! My boyfriend got the first cup, and he said it was one of the best teas he’s had!! So for the next cups, I further reduced steep times to around 15-20s, and they were much better. Still a bit on the bitter side from overleafing, but next time I will be wiser.

Overall, this is a nice tea if steeped correctly. I wish I had had a sip of the first cup, because I’m sure it was perfect! Ah well, I have two more sample packs to try and find the sweet spot :) I will probably try around 10s steeps as well.

I was pretty excited to see a new jasmine in the Teavivre lineup because they do jasmine so very well. Bi Luo Chun is one of my husband’s favorite teas to drink with Chinese takeout so I am eager for him to try it, too.

This is a free sample they sent to me for review, and many thanks to Teavivre!

Since my daughter made the tea for our tea time yesterday I didn’t get to smell the dry leaves yet, but when I gave the pot a sniff I knew it was Teavivre’s classic jasmine. Just smelling it made me relax and sigh.

Since Bi Luo Chun is an oat-y tasting tea I wondered how it would blend with jasmine. No worries. It is beautiful. With our food, I did not pick up on the briskness, but when I had some later I did. Not sour, not mouth-puckeringly astringent, just brisk. And really, really nice.

Hubby hasn’t tried it yet as he came home from work exhausted and literally went to bed as soon as he had supper! Maybe tonight he can try it and I can give him a sample. My youngest, who doesn’t really drink greens, tried it and said it was very good.

Thank you Angel for this sample. Bi Luo Chun is a favourite of mine but I have never tried it mixed with jasmine before.

The little tea balls/pearls are a mixture of brown, dark green and silver coloured leaves with a few pieces of twig/stick present. The silver leaves shine beautifully and have tiny hairs. They have a fresh and sweet jasmine scent that is very pure with a hint of grass.

4 steeps : rinse,30s,50s,70s,90s

First Steep – 30 seconds
I can taste the sweet jasmine which lingers wonderfully in the after taste. Also hints of roasted grass and perfume with a little dryness and astringency. A very flavourful first steep.

Second Steep – 50 seconds
Strength is vastly increased as has it’s toasted grass quality. Sweetness and jasmine still linger in the after taste and still only a hint of astringency. It is a little dryner now too.

Third Steep – 70 seconds
Reduced in thickness from the previous steep but carrying it’s flavour nicely still. Very similar to the first steep and it’s beautiful sweet jasmine dominates once more. Still only a hint of astringency.

Fourth Steep – 90 seconds
Still lots of flavour is present. and though the jasmine is toned down from the previous steeps it is still very much present and dominant. A little more astringent now but still at an acceptable and pleasant level.

Overall I found this tea to be: pure, sweet and full of flavour. It had the thickness of Bi Luo Chun (which I love) but the jasmine adds a sweetness lingers and perfumes my breath. If I were to note something I didn’t like then it would be the dryness in-between steeps, though it started subtly it increases rather rapidly, though remains pleasant.

185 °F / 85 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Anna

This sounds beautiful and complex. And a great note – I love when you do these multi-steep reviews, they’re so helpful.

KittyLovesTea

Thank you Anna :) This Bi Luo Chun cheered me up a little, inspired me to make an orange and ginger cake (which is one of my specialities). Goes very well with custard.

Anna

Well done, you should only have your fave teas and treats today. =)