Jasmine Bi Luo Chun Green Tea

Green Tea, Jasmine
Jasmine, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 134. I actually sipped this one down the other day but completely forgot to log it! I do like this one a lot, in part because the jasmine is so inobtrusive. Sometimes you don't want to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2035 tasting notes
  • “This is really good. I love how I drink my light spring teas now that it's Autumn. And I think I was drinking Pumpkin Chai in the Spring. Anyway, this is very light and floral but.. not in a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Backlog - I tried this tea in my gaiwan last night. Eeep, first review too! Thanks to *Angel* at Teavivre for this free sample! The dry smell is wonderfully jasmine, so yummy smelling! I am pretty...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 991 tasting notes
  • “This is worth trying a sample just for the dance of the leaf. The unscented bi lou chun is long twisty curls of delicate silvery and dark leaf. This jasmine version rolls it into balls resembling a...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1415 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Bi Luo Chun is grown in Fuding (福鼎), Fujian, China. Jasmine comes from Hengxian County (横县) in Guangxi Province, China

Ingredients: Jasmine and Bi Luo Chun Green Tea

Harvest time: April 26, 2014

Taste: Smooth and sweet, has brisk flavor with long-lasting jasmine fragrance

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

2035 tasting notes

I do like this one a lot, in part because the jasmine is so inobtrusive. Sometimes you don’t want to be drinking a bouquet of flowers (for many of you that is all of the time, but for me it is only sometimes). This is light and fresh and green, with some sweet snap pea notes to it. The kind of jasmine green I would want for an everyday jasmine tea, if my stash ever got low enough that I needed such a thing. Glad to have gotten a chance to try this sample! Thanks Teavivre!

This is really good.

I love how I drink my light spring teas now that it’s Autumn. And I think I was drinking Pumpkin Chai in the Spring.

Anyway, this is very light and floral but.. not in a bad way? Sometimes I think Jasmine = YUCK, but it’s good. It’s not in your face, and it’s also nice and sweet too. I would definitely drink more of this, and I think that this would help promote more enjoyment of teas that aren’t just black. I should drink at least one tea per day that isn’t black… I have so much of it. :P

(SIPDOWN)

Thank you Angel for the sample!

Backlog – I tried this tea in my gaiwan last night. Eeep, first review too! Thanks to Angel at Teavivre for this free sample! The dry smell is wonderfully jasmine, so yummy smelling! I am pretty sure I overleafed a bit lol, as I put in my whole sample package when I probably should have only used half.

I did a quick rinse, then made the first cup for 30s and the second for 50s. I had the second, and it was wayyyy tooo strong. Probably from overleafing though! My boyfriend got the first cup, and he said it was one of the best teas he’s had!! So for the next cups, I further reduced steep times to around 15-20s, and they were much better. Still a bit on the bitter side from overleafing, but next time I will be wiser.

Overall, this is a nice tea if steeped correctly. I wish I had had a sip of the first cup, because I’m sure it was perfect! Ah well, I have two more sample packs to try and find the sweet spot :) I will probably try around 10s steeps as well.

This is worth trying a sample just for the dance of the leaf. The unscented bi lou chun is long twisty curls of delicate silvery and dark leaf. This jasmine version rolls it into balls resembling a cross between dragon pearls and tieguanyin. It is highly jasmine scented dry. In the water the pellets drop to the bottom and bubble. Then like Godzilla rising out of the ocean, the expanding and relaxing whole leaves begin to slowly rise from the bottom. Most fun I have had steeping in a while. Best viewed from the front row.

The tea is delicious. It is fairly heavy on the jasmine up front along the lines of Silver Jasmine Green rather than the more delicate grapey premium dragon pearls. The tea flavor comes in later and is quite nicely brisk and somewhat grassy. I found it a touch drying. In the aftertaste it adds on a fruity element, that I think it was Kitty Loves Tea, compared to melon.

I love jasmine tea and so it’s my goal to try all different types of jasmine tea! I gave this particular one a try and I would have to say it tastes pretty good. Maybe a little bit more bitter than the pearls I’ve tried, but it’s still really delicious with good jasmine accent.

Flavors: Jasmine

I was craving jasmine this evening, so I threw caffeine caution to the wind and brewed up a small pot of Teavivre Jasmine Bi Luo Chun Green tea. The dried leaves are of all different shapes and sizes, with silver striations woven throughout.

The liquor is pale greenish yellow, and the taste is very smooth. I really like the jasmine used by Teavivre in both this tea and the Jasmine Pearls. Which do I prefer? I’ll have to do a steep-off one of these days.

For now, my jasmine craving has been satisfied!

(Blazing New Rating #61)

Flavors: Jasmine

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
lolainred

I have so many jasmine teas right now. I am definitely considering a massive steep off to compare them all.

sherapop

great idea, lolainred: just do it! ;-)

If you like Jasmine, then you’ll love this tea. I’ve experimented with a few different brands, and so far this has the best Jasmine flavor.

It took me 3 or 4 times to get it how I like it. I didn’t like it Gaiwan style. It just loses the flavor too soon and the base tea isn’t strong enough on its own.

The best way for me was to brew in pot, lower temp like 170ish, and go about 3.5-4 minutes. If you go a little more on the leaves, you can probably come down to 3 minutes, and then get a nice 2nd steep out of it.

Very nice tea, quality leaves, great price.

Flavors: Jasmine, Sweet

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 30 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
SimpliciTEA

I really appreciate you including your results of trying different brewing methods. Silly, but being new to using gaiwans, and assuming using them gongfu style is ALWAYS better than than Western style, I was shocked to read your notes. Then I realized how simplistic my view of steeping was. Duh?!

weegeebee1

thanks. So many factors in the flavor, I mean these are very delicate things. Temp to me is most important. You can blast out the flavor too hot, or not extract enough too low. Then length of time. Lastly amount of tea. Really a science and there are no general rules. Each tea is different. And yes. I love my gaiwan, but it’s not for everything.

Well, I overleafed it, but I still want to reorder this wonderful sample. It has a briskness that appeals to my inner Earl Grey drinker and still with a delicious sweet/savory creamy green underneath. I’ve been hunting for a jasmine anything to keep on hand, and I think I’ll stop here. We have a winner!

Happy Wednesday!

I have a job interview later on this morning, so I thought that something new and fresh would perk me up. I really liked the plain Bi Luo Chun from last week, so I thought I’d try the jasmine-flavoured version this time.

First off, the scent of jasmine is very strong in the leaf. I remember the unflavoured tea smelling very vegetal and seaweedy, but this one is just straight up jasmine. The leaf looks very different as well – the plain Bi Luo Chun was very fluffy, with lots of long threads and lots of fuzz/down visible. This version looks like nuggets/beads – like pearls or a rolled-up oolong.

I ended up using about 2.5 tsp of leaf for 24 oz, but because of the rolled-up nature of the leaves, that used up at least 2/3 of a single sample packet. The leaf was quite dense, and that led to a very strong jasmine flavour in the cup, so be warned: it’s better to slightly underleaf this one.

The taste: jasmine, and a of very straight, no-nonsense kind, too. It’s not quite soapy, but it’s heading in that direction, with very little of the vegetal greenness of the base coming through.

This was ok, but I think that once I finish off my samples, I’ll stick with the unflavoured Bi Luo Chun, which seems like it would be an excellent “comfort” green tea.

Many thanks to Angel for letting me try this!

Sami Kelsh

High fives for the job interview! Hope it goes well :)

Christina

Interview just finished. I’m nervous, but when I talked to someone else about it, they told me that it sounds like the interview went longer than expected, which to them was a good sign. Fingers crossed!

yyz

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, sounds good so far!

I was pretty excited to see a new jasmine in the Teavivre lineup because they do jasmine so very well. Bi Luo Chun is one of my husband’s favorite teas to drink with Chinese takeout so I am eager for him to try it, too.

This is a free sample they sent to me for review, and many thanks to Teavivre!

Since my daughter made the tea for our tea time yesterday I didn’t get to smell the dry leaves yet, but when I gave the pot a sniff I knew it was Teavivre’s classic jasmine. Just smelling it made me relax and sigh.

Since Bi Luo Chun is an oat-y tasting tea I wondered how it would blend with jasmine. No worries. It is beautiful. With our food, I did not pick up on the briskness, but when I had some later I did. Not sour, not mouth-puckeringly astringent, just brisk. And really, really nice.

Hubby hasn’t tried it yet as he came home from work exhausted and literally went to bed as soon as he had supper! Maybe tonight he can try it and I can give him a sample. My youngest, who doesn’t really drink greens, tried it and said it was very good.

TeaVivre

This tea is produced by adding jasmine flower petals to the Bo Luo Chun Green Tea during processing, so infusing this tea with a subtle fragrance and taste of jasmine. After scented with jasmine flower for 8 to 10 hours, the flower petals are removed, leaving the tea with its unique taste and fragrance.

Tealizzy

Thanks for sharing how it’s processed! That’s neat!