Superfine Taiwan Qing Xiang Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Fruity, Grass, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hmmm, I could have sworn I wrote a tasting note about my first session with this tea. But it's not on the page. My earlier sessions of it were light and floral, without much roasting. This one was...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1915 tasting notes
  • “I drank 36oz of this yesterday - and will probably continue on with it later today. I was a bit surprised when I opened the packet. I've had a dong ding before and had my mind set on what I was...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1251 tasting notes
  • “It's the perfect day to relax with some green oolong. I love this lightly floral and summer flower flavor. It tastes like youthful innocence. Definitely is one of the loveliest green oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 500 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Sweet and lush with a very satisfying, soft and silky mouthfeel. Exotic floral notes and hints of fruit. I can taste notes of peach as well as a creamy note. A slight grassy tone in...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2013

Taste: high aroma, sweet and mellow taste with obvious osmanthus fragrance; has strong sweet aftertaste.

The tea is planted in the area at the altitude of 1000 meters. So this is also a High Mountain tea, which is known as its obvious floral fragrance. This Dong Ding Qing Xiang Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. This tea has thick and soft leaf, refreshing tea liquid, with strong osmanthus scent. Meanwhile it has strong sweet aftertaste, which makes High Mountain tea more excellent than low altitude tea.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks Angel for this sample!
Sorry everyone that I kind of fell off the planet. I basically got into a school-induced rut. But here I am, with a new review for the tea I just received today and I’ll be brewing in the precious little gaiwan that Teavivre also sent me.
The dry leaf smelled surprisingly fruity to me. I’ve only had one other dong ding and it was much more roasted smelling than this one. The leaves are rolled into large balls, maybe even a bit larger than what I’m used to seeing.
I managed to use the gaiwan without burning myself too badly! It was my first time using one and I’m surprised it was this simple. I think that the leaves are gorgeous when brewed in this fashion. I had been worried about using the wrong amount of leaves, but it turned out just like all the photos I’ve seen!
The aroma of the tea is very floral and green. I love lighter oolongs, so this is right up my ally. There is a very light roast to this as well. I enjoy that it is there, but not so upfront that it overpowers the other smells and flavors. There seems to be a lot of flavors in this cup. Sweet, green, floral, roast, and something else that is a bit elusive; pepper?
Either way, this is a pretty brilliant tea that I’m going to continue enjoying tonight.

TeaVivre

Gaiwan is the traditional Chinese teapot. It may burn finger for first time using. As long as you control the method, it’s easy and simple to use Gaiwan.

From my experience this summer, the light sweet grass dry scent and subdued cane sugar and fruity, malty notes in the dry leaves’ heated scent seemed promising for a great session. The first steep confirms my expectations. Strong gao shan flavor with a potent, lingering aftertaste and rear-mouth cooling in addition to what seems like a unique Dong Ding character, distinct from other high mountain Taiwan oolongs I have tasted previously.

Although it isn’t entirely impressive flavor-wise, the development was smooth and interesting. There was a nice “green” bite in the introduction of each sip with a tart finish felt on the roof of the mouth. Complexity was relatively straightforward, but the balance was excellent. The scent remaining in the empty cup was weak and nearly monotonous. However, the gaiwan lid’s scent was well-developed, if perhaps a bit too grassy.

I missed some it the deeper bass notes common in some gao shans in this tea, leaving the first few steeps to feel somewhat unbalanced. The lack of depth is odd considering this is another autumn harvest, yet, when the session lasts upwards of 7 steeps, I cannot complain.

Thanks Teavivre!

205 °F / 96 °C

This was a sample sent to me from the lovely folks at Teavivre. Dong Ding (sometimes Tung Ting or “Frozen Summit”) is a very beautiful tea mountain in Nantou county near the west coast of Taiwan. They produce a lot of rolled oolongs in the Taiwan/Fujian style. “Qing Xiang” (清香) means “Fragrant” or “Aromatic”.

The dry leaves lived up to their name with a very pleasant sweet aroma. As expected for a Dong Ding, the leaves are rolled into balls, but somewhat unexpectedly they are many different sizes. Some are quite a lot larger than my usual Dong Ding (indicating a lot of stems, which doesn’t mean anything in itself), while some balls were more like fine gunpowder green tea in size. The variation in leaf size had me on my guard, as such inconsistency can make infusing a tea difficult. The color was a mix of bright green mixed with gunpowder gray, like an evergreen forest in the spring.

The first three infusions did not impress me too much, having a little too green and sharp a taste for my palette. However, as the flavor that was present hadn’t become noticeably weaker I tried a fourth and was very surprised at the improvement. A hint of saltiness crept into the flavor, which changed everything. There was still the bright spring quality, but it became subdued and gentle. The aroma was delicate but unmistakably that of the wonderful sweetness you will find in an oolong withering room. Somehow a bit of cream entered the texture, mellowing the sharpness of the previous infusions. The effect was still there but now it manifested as a dryness on the front of the tongue in the aftertaste, not marring the mouthfeel. My mind wandered away to a green mountainside in Lugu, looking across the lake at the tea fields of Dong Ding. It’s really a reminder that, particularly with a rolled oolong, there can be layers of flavor that lie hidden away behind the initial taste.

A hot rinse of the leaves at the start or possibly beginning with a cooler temperature water might have made for a different beginning entirely for this tasting. Tea is a living creation, and while I love to find a Dong Ding that really wows on the first sip, I very much enjoy a tea that makes me taste and experiment to find its beauty. I’m glad to have had this chance!

(Read the full review here: http://someteawith.me/2013/11/27/teavivre-2013-qing-xiang-dong-ding/)

The last of our “Superfine”s, the dry Superfine Taiwan Quing Xiang Dong Ding Oolong Tea keeps to itself, smell-wise. You get hints of possibili-teas; some petals, some mineral salt, some herbyness in the sage-y vein, but otherwise nada. In the cup, this steeps to an interesting effect: someone’s been cooking veggies all day–zucchini, celery, and bok choy–but then decided to blast the room with Febreeze and the veggies came out on top.

Definitely the greenest of our oolongs so far in the first infusion, when you get down to the sip-’sperience. Meadow-green, hot-sun-on-wet-grass green, Fifty Shades of Green. With a similarly faint yellow liquor as the Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea, this stuff is tailor-made for… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/10/15/snooty-tea-review-teavivre-round-3/

This is a rich tasting, good tea. It kind of reminds me of a milk oolong. It has some floralness to. It is also vegetal, but not in a boiled spinach-like kind of way like I experience in some other teas. This is more nuanced and sweet. I’d buy more of this.

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

Sniffing the wet leaves after the rinse stage, I picked up on butter, spices and a sweet flavour (like corn). This scent is very noticeable and not subtle or boring in any way.

Tasting the first steep, the aroma is much more toned down than I imagined. It’s mellow, floral, and slightly sweet. None of the flavours overpower my senses, and I didn’t taste any bitterness.

From the second to seventh steeps, it held a consistent flavour.

My husband and I had very different opinions on this tea. He really enjoys non-roasted oolongs and I do not. That’s my bias, but I can still appreciate the tea (I’m just not crazy about it).

Overall, I think it’s a nice mellow oolong. Its quiet nature is enjoyable. In comparison with cheaper oolong teas, this has a good long lasting flavour that resteeps well.

Tea parameters (Teavivre’s website suggestion):
100ml gaiwan, 7g sample, rinse and 7 infusions (30s, 30s, 35s, 45s, 60s, 100s, 120s)

200 °F / 93 °C

I snagged a sample pouch of this one from the HH teabox! I fully plan on reviewing it to get my Teavivre triple rewards! :D These rewards will make it very tough not to place an order. So thank you to whomever included it in the teabox. Other oolong instructions from Teavivre (I don’t like the new instructions since they mention 17 ounces of water):
One tablespoon, eight ounces of water, boiling, rinse, 1,2,3 min

Steep #1 // just boiled // rinse // 1 min
The sample had 2 1/2 teaspoons of leaves, so I went with them all! The green little bundles of leaves have the fragrance of a sweet milk oolong. Very scrumptious. But the flavor is much different. I probably should have waited a few more minutes for the water to cool for the first steep, but the parameters said otherwise! The boiling didn’t ruin the tea, but it was on the brink for being a little too oversteeped. It does have a hint of astringency. But the flavor profile here, instead of being the milk oolong it smells like, is actually pineapple flavored! Front and center, it’s all pineapple. As it cools, it tastes even better. This might make for a very nice iced oolong.

Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 min steep
The second steep has mellowed to a lingering peaches & hint of cream flavor! Wow, this is better than the peach tea I steeped at the same time (yes, I do that, it extends the lifetime of my tea kettle a little bit, I figure). I haven’t had a peach flavored oolong in a long time! So this is primarily a fruity oolong to me: pineapple and then peach.

Steep #3 // couple mins after boiling // 2 min
This cup was also very nice, though it had a hint of astringency. Still peachy but less so. The first two steeps were better, but I think two teaspoons of leaves would have worked better or switching some parameters.

Not the best oolong I’ve tried from Teavivre (Iron Goddess is the best ever), though that is a pretty high standard, but also not the worst oolong! If you’re looking for a fruity oolong, this is a great one!

Sidenote: I just ordered six things from puerhshop.com so I’d like to have at least six sipdowns of things in the next handful of days. It shouldn’t be difficult, as a ton of my teas are nearing their end.

According to Teavivre this tea was picked in August 1, 2013 so the tea has been sleeping for a long time. So first I breathed on the dry tea to wake it up and was promptly greeted with a milky, interesting smell.
With the tea now awoken I steeped half the 7g free sample pack I received in hot water. Upon sipping my cup I loved the sweet taste, like honey, and how creamy it was. It was perhaps less creamy than the Superfine Taiwan Ali Shan that I also sampled prior, the Qing Xiang Dong Ding I thought had a very subtle “harshness” to it, that i associate more with green tea. Overall, the taste is very kind and forgiving.
After two hot steepings like this I put the wet leaves in a sport shaker with cold water and put it in the fridge. At this point I took the time to appreciate how pretty and large the green leaves had become.
After a few hours cold steeping, I got a luscious ice tea out of the already-used leaves. I’m impressed by how much flavor there is within this oolong tea! The round, sweet and mild taste really lends itself to making ice tea in my opinion, and there is a mild hazelnut taste as an added bonus. Because the leaves are so large, it was really convenient for me to sip on the tea straight out of my shaker without the need to strain the tea. I also got a second similarly heavenly cold brew out of the leaves.
Overall I’m really pleased with this tea, it is now my favorite oolong tea so far. Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Honey

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I drank this oolong a few weeks ago and forgot to review it. But thanks to the three pack sample I received from the generous Angel at Teavivre, I am able to drink some again tonight.

You know when you eat a nice dish and there’s that taste you like but can’t quite put your finger on? Well for me, it’s often the same ingredient, I always go, «oh, yes, that’s what it is» once I find out.

Well again, here’s that “secret” ingredient, but this time it is so obvious to me that I can identify it quickly: nutmeg!

Yes, big nutmeg and strong floral notes. It’s got that buttery feel as well and with the spiciness, it makes it an almost savoury oolong. There’s a fresh astringency cutting through the thickness of this tea. I like that.

The leaves are perfect, large and unbroken with many stems still attached to them.

This will be my last tea of the night, as I’m only at my second steep and it will go on forever, I can tell.

Angel, thank you for giving me the opportunity to try this wonderful tea, much appreciated!

This was another green oolong that TheTeaFairy so generously sent me.
Are my tastes changing? Can she choose green oolong more to my tastes than I can? Dunno but this is the second one in two days that I’ve liked. Again, a hint of floral but not in your face. Nice, light green oolong. I still don’t think that these are my favorite type of tea, but they may be growing on me, especially with the weather starting to warm a little.
I need to keep looking at these as the opportunity arises……

TheTeaFairy

So glad you liked it. I think you are right, this one isn’t overly floral at all, that would explain why you’re not turned off by it.

Dexter

LOL two in two days – I’m surprised too at how much I’m liking them. These weren’t too floral and they weren’t “grassy” so it was all good for me. :)