Superfine Taiwan Qing Xiang Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Floral, Peach, Spinach, Thick, Vegetal, Beany, Salty, Sweet, Fruity, Grass, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hmmm, I could have sworn I wrote a tasting note about my first session with this tea. But it's not on the page. My earlier sessions of it were light and floral, without much roasting. This one was...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes
  • “I drank 36oz of this yesterday - and will probably continue on with it later today. I was a bit surprised when I opened the packet. I've had a dong ding before and had my mind set on what I was...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1384 tasting notes
  • “It's the perfect day to relax with some green oolong. I love this lightly floral and summer flower flavor. It tastes like youthful innocence. Definitely is one of the loveliest green oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 520 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Sweet and lush with a very satisfying, soft and silky mouthfeel. Exotic floral notes and hints of fruit. I can taste notes of peach as well as a creamy note. A slight grassy tone in...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May 10, 2014

Taste: high aroma, sweet and mellow taste with obvious osmanthus fragrance; has strong sweet aftertaste.

The tea is planted in the area at the altitude of 1000 meters. So this is also a High Mountain tea, which is known as its obvious floral fragrance. This Dong Ding Qing Xiang Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. This tea has thick and soft leaf, refreshing tea liquid, with strong osmanthus scent. Meanwhile it has strong sweet aftertaste, which makes High Mountain tea more excellent than low altitude tea.

About Teavivre View company

Dry leaf aroma: buttery, squash, ver lighty light pepper note, seaweed, floral, sweet
Brewed tea aroma: Floral, honey, spinach

Thick mouthfeel, slight salty on finish, floral throughout, buttery top note, quick sharp sweetness, bean-like flavour, hint of spinach at the end of the sip

Flavors: Beany, Butter, Floral, Salty, Spinach, Sweet

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

I snagged a sample pouch of this one from the HH teabox! I fully plan on reviewing it to get my Teavivre triple rewards! :D These rewards will make it very tough not to place an order. So thank you to whomever included it in the teabox. Other oolong instructions from Teavivre (I don’t like the new instructions since they mention 17 ounces of water):
One tablespoon, eight ounces of water, boiling, rinse, 1,2,3 min

Steep #1 // just boiled // rinse // 1 min
The sample had 2 1/2 teaspoons of leaves, so I went with them all! The green little bundles of leaves have the fragrance of a sweet milk oolong. Very scrumptious. But the flavor is much different. I probably should have waited a few more minutes for the water to cool for the first steep, but the parameters said otherwise! The boiling didn’t ruin the tea, but it was on the brink for being a little too oversteeped. It does have a hint of astringency. But the flavor profile here, instead of being the milk oolong it smells like, is actually pineapple flavored! Front and center, it’s all pineapple. As it cools, it tastes even better. This might make for a very nice iced oolong.

Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 min steep
The second steep has mellowed to a lingering peaches & hint of cream flavor! Wow, this is better than the peach tea I steeped at the same time (yes, I do that, it extends the lifetime of my tea kettle a little bit, I figure). I haven’t had a peach flavored oolong in a long time! So this is primarily a fruity oolong to me: pineapple and then peach.

Steep #3 // couple mins after boiling // 2 min
This cup was also very nice, though it had a hint of astringency. Still peachy but less so. The first two steeps were better, but I think two teaspoons of leaves would have worked better or switching some parameters.

Not the best oolong I’ve tried from Teavivre (Iron Goddess is the best ever), though that is a pretty high standard, but also not the worst oolong! If you’re looking for a fruity oolong, this is a great one!

Sidenote: I just ordered six things from puerhshop.com so I’d like to have at least six sipdowns of things in the next handful of days. It shouldn’t be difficult, as a ton of my teas are nearing their end.

According to Teavivre this tea was picked in August 1, 2013 so the tea has been sleeping for a long time. So first I breathed on the dry tea to wake it up and was promptly greeted with a milky, interesting smell.
With the tea now awoken I steeped half the 7g free sample pack I received in hot water. Upon sipping my cup I loved the sweet taste, like honey, and how creamy it was. It was perhaps less creamy than the Superfine Taiwan Ali Shan that I also sampled prior, the Qing Xiang Dong Ding I thought had a very subtle “harshness” to it, that i associate more with green tea. Overall, the taste is very kind and forgiving.
After two hot steepings like this I put the wet leaves in a sport shaker with cold water and put it in the fridge. At this point I took the time to appreciate how pretty and large the green leaves had become.
After a few hours cold steeping, I got a luscious ice tea out of the already-used leaves. I’m impressed by how much flavor there is within this oolong tea! The round, sweet and mild taste really lends itself to making ice tea in my opinion, and there is a mild hazelnut taste as an added bonus. Because the leaves are so large, it was really convenient for me to sip on the tea straight out of my shaker without the need to strain the tea. I also got a second similarly heavenly cold brew out of the leaves.
Overall I’m really pleased with this tea, it is now my favorite oolong tea so far. Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Honey

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I drank this oolong a few weeks ago and forgot to review it. But thanks to the three pack sample I received from the generous Angel at Teavivre, I am able to drink some again tonight.

You know when you eat a nice dish and there’s that taste you like but can’t quite put your finger on? Well for me, it’s often the same ingredient, I always go, «oh, yes, that’s what it is» once I find out.

Well again, here’s that “secret” ingredient, but this time it is so obvious to me that I can identify it quickly: nutmeg!

Yes, big nutmeg and strong floral notes. It’s got that buttery feel as well and with the spiciness, it makes it an almost savoury oolong. There’s a fresh astringency cutting through the thickness of this tea. I like that.

The leaves are perfect, large and unbroken with many stems still attached to them.

This will be my last tea of the night, as I’m only at my second steep and it will go on forever, I can tell.

Angel, thank you for giving me the opportunity to try this wonderful tea, much appreciated!

This was another green oolong that TheTeaFairy so generously sent me.
Are my tastes changing? Can she choose green oolong more to my tastes than I can? Dunno but this is the second one in two days that I’ve liked. Again, a hint of floral but not in your face. Nice, light green oolong. I still don’t think that these are my favorite type of tea, but they may be growing on me, especially with the weather starting to warm a little.
I need to keep looking at these as the opportunity arises……

TheTeaFairy

So glad you liked it. I think you are right, this one isn’t overly floral at all, that would explain why you’re not turned off by it.

Dexter

LOL two in two days – I’m surprised too at how much I’m liking them. These weren’t too floral and they weren’t “grassy” so it was all good for me. :)

This is a free sample that was sent by Teavivre for review. Thank you!

I was a bad girl. I took this packet out with the intention of having it later with a student. The more I looked at it, the more I wanted it NOW! I told myself I would just make one steep and save the rest. You see where this going, right?

So…for the first steep I ignored the package directions. I gave the leaves a ten second rinse, then steeped for about two minutes with cooler water than they recommend, around 204F. I was having this with some cantaloupe after a light lunch of ciabatta bread, toasted, and smeared with goat cheese, then topped with seasoned, diced tomatoes and pesto. My first thought was how much I was tasting a melon flavor in the tea apart from the cantaloupe I was eating. I think it was more honeydew than cantaloupe, though.

I love Dong Ding teas and usually purchase moderately roasted ones, but this one was good enough to keep on the shelf.

I made two steeps at a low temperature and then for the third steep increased to boiling and two minutes. Now it has a little astringent kick at the end of the sip. There is a light nutty aroma as I lift the cup but mostly….flowers! I am really enjoying this. I thought it would probably go about three steeps, but I am thinking I will get a fourth and possibly fifth out of this. Poor student. Ah, well, perhaps I will offer him a different tea…

Not a huge fan. Compared to the Li Shan Oolong I’ve been drinking, this just doesn’t hold up in my opinion. I used a whole 7 gram sample in my 5oz Finum. Found it ultimately unremarkable. Pale color. Pale on flavor. Maybe I’m missing something here? I won’t be coming back to this one. Making this note so I’m more dialed into what I don’t like, rather than what I do.

Steep times started at about 1 min, thereafter increasing the time by roughly 1/2 − 1, 1 1/2, 2 1/4, 3 3/8, etc).

Light Oolong that is golden yellow in color and has a nice floral aroma. This tea has a pleasant floral taste with a little bit of honeydew flavor. I found this Oolong to be quite enjoyable.

205 °F / 96 °C