Superfine Taiwan Qing Xiang Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Chestnut, Creamy, Floral, Sweet, Vegetal, Cream, Fruity, Milk, Butter, Roasted, Grass, Baked Bread, Nuts, Astringent, Honeysuckle, Apple, Flowers, Nectar, Oats, Pear, Peach, Spinach, Thick, Beany, Salty, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hmmm, I could have sworn I wrote a tasting note about my first session with this tea. But it’s not on the page. My earlier sessions of it were light and floral, without much roasting. This...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2184 tasting notes
  • “I drank 36oz of this yesterday – and will probably continue on with it later today. I was a bit surprised when I opened the packet. I’ve had a dong ding before and had my mind set on...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1695 tasting notes
  • “It’s the perfect day to relax with some green oolong. I love this lightly floral and summer flower flavor. It tastes like youthful innocence. Definitely is one of the loveliest green...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 525 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Sweet and lush with a very satisfying, soft and silky mouthfeel. Exotic floral notes and hints of fruit. I can taste notes of peach as well as a creamy note. A slight grassy tone in the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4846 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: April 22, 2015

Taste: high aroma, sweet and mellow taste with obvious osmanthus fragrance; has strong sweet aftertaste.

The tea is planted in the area at the altitude of 1000 meters. So this is also a High Mountain tea, which is known as its obvious floral fragrance. This Dong Ding Qing Xiang Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. This tea has thick and soft leaf, refreshing tea liquid, with strong osmanthus scent. Meanwhile it has strong sweet aftertaste, which makes High Mountain tea more excellent than low altitude tea.

About Teavivre View company

This is one of those teas that tastes better when you combine all of the infusions. I brewed it gongfu style following TeaVivre’s instructions (rinse, 30s, 30s, 35s, 45s, 1m, 1.5m). I poured all of the infusions into a pitcher and tasted them as I went along. The individual steeps were unimpressive. Flat and slightly bitter with some unexpected milky notes. Combined though, a honeysuckle sweetness began to emerge. The milkiness was no longer there but some bitterness remained in the after taste. This was a meh sorta green oolong for me. Palatable, but nothing to write home about. Glad to have finished my sample so I can move on to other teas.

Flavors: Astringent, Honeysuckle, Milk

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This was an incredible tea session! I opened my package to reveal these massive forest green nuggets. These beauties carried a creamy watercress scent. I placed them in my warmed gaiwan and shook them up. I removed the lid and took in a fantastic aroma. The warmed leaf smelled exactly like apple oatmeal. It was unbelievable! I knew that this would be a treat. I washed the leaf once and prepared for gongfu brewing. The steeped leaves gave off a complex fuji apple and pear scent. The liquor was a pale translucent jade. The taste was phenomenal! It was a heavy soup with a creamy finish. I could taste butter beans wrapped in magnolia nectar. The aftertaste was sweet with a warming sugared undertone. The leaves are massive! This session began in my gaiwan, and then I moved to my Zisha. Afterwards, the leaves continued to expand, so I moved to my cha hai and brewed grandpa style. The flavor became more floral and more sweet. I loved this so much. I was tea drunk and laughing throughout the session.

Flavors: Apple, Butter, Flowers, Nectar, Oats, Pear, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g
Nicole/Tea-Historic

Wow. That sounds impressive!

Haveteawilltravel

I loved it :) This will be a definite top 5 oolong for me.

I forgot I had a sample of this tea, so finding it was a nice surprise on this otherwise lame day. The flavor is very complex. There are pea notes, floral notes, a touch of honey flavor — it’s sort of fruity and vegetal at the same time. Has a lovely and slightly spicy smell — I don’t actually get spices in the flavor though.

Last tea in my Teavivre oolong tasting. Then it’s back to tasting random things, I guess!

The little leaf nuggets of this tea are tiny this time. Itty bitty, super tightly rolled leaves. They still expanded to reveal they were mostly complete, however. As they steep, the water turns bright greenish yellow. A very cheerful color!

The scent is pungent and a little nutty, but the flavor is neither. It’s so creamy! Buttery, even, with a sort of slow-cooked vegetable taste. However, in the exhale and aftertaste, I’m getting flowers. Maybe gardenia or hyacinth. Even after four minutes there is no astringency or bitterness. Just lovely summery notes.

This oolong has a lot going on, but it’s a harmony. I keep saying “this is my new favorite oolong” when I try these teas, but I feel that way each time I try a new one! Sad to see my Teavivre oolongs go. Maybe once I get through more of my stash, I’ll reward myself with more.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Vegetal

Red Fennekin

Mmm, this sounds like the type of oolong I’m really into at the moment. I love that kind of floral, creamy, vegetal combo that they have :D

Tabby

If you haven’t tried any of Teavivre’s oolongs, I highly recommend them! They taught me just how great oolongs can be after years of thinking I didn’t like them. Also, I’ve been meaning to say that I love your username. I took my Fennekin all the way to the Elite Four. <3

I last drank this last mid-November of 2014. This note is for educational purposes. Ratings won’t be deleted to keep the integrity of my first tasting note.

Gongfu session with a ceramic gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 30, 30, 45, 45, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240.

The leaf post-rinse has a light and sweet floral fragrance. Early spring-like, leaves still “flowers” on trees. The liquor is light yellow and has a light body. Fuzzies float around. The texture starts off as creamy, then becomes soft and thick. The flavor profile does not change throughout the session. Instant yum! with the first sip. Very sweet, delicately floral, fruity (mostly peaches and apricots) aftertaste.

How it differs from the first time: definitely not vegetal and seaweed-y (clearly wanted to have more Japanese greens in my life back then). Not as floral, certainly no roasted vegetables or tartness or berries. I’m able to discern more sweetness and appreciate its gentle qualities. I changed my mind from mid-summer to early spring. It’s because this Dong Ding is not roasted. These leaves were plucked from a kind of bush mostly used for pouchong. A lovely non-roasted Dong Ding, not quite every day, but not incredibly special.

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Another TeaVivre oolong! This was one of the free samples that Stephanie chose, and she was sweet enough to share a sample packet with me. I had such a good time trying my free oolongs, I figured why not one more? This one is not roasted, and the pellets are a lovely medium olive green with their usual widely varying size. Dry scent is very sweet with strong peach presence, light grassy notes, and a bit of floral.

The steeped liquid shares the strong peach aroma, and the floral aspect is now a bit heavier. I must admit, this is not my favorite flavor profile, and this is the reason I have been avoiding green oolongs for a while now. It’s heavily floral and it me, it sort of tastes like perfume. There’s a background flavor of steamed greens and butter, and the texture is quite thick, as I have come to expect from greener oolongs. I don’t get much peach here, surprisingly, perhaps a bit in the aftertaste. Not my style!

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Peach, Spinach, Thick, Vegetal

ok….def vegetal….earthy. Spinach. But smooth yet sharp. A little buttery but not creamy. More earthy. Earthy is the word. Strongest flavor upfront is the spinach or leafy green flavor. It’s a good sip tho. Classic oolong for me.

Thanks to Angel and TeaVivre for the sample!

This is a very nice oolong! Super buttery and vegetal, with some nice sweetness and faint floral highlights on top. I always forget how much I like oolongs like this one until I drink one again. Quite good! :)

Dry leaf aroma: buttery, squash, ver lighty light pepper note, seaweed, floral, sweet
Brewed tea aroma: Floral, honey, spinach

Thick mouthfeel, slight salty on finish, floral throughout, buttery top note, quick sharp sweetness, bean-like flavour, hint of spinach at the end of the sip

Flavors: Beany, Butter, Floral, Salty, Spinach, Sweet

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

Additional notes: I’m just now breaking into this one that I bought (after trying a sample – so there is another tasting note for this one!) Teavivre teas are so well packaged! I know packaged like this, the freshness will last for a while. I wanted to use less than the 2 1/2 teaspoons I used last time, so I went with 1 1/2 teaspoons. The leaves unravel very quickly after a minute steep! The aroma and flavor is divine – somehow the flavor is creamy, a little spicy and peachy all at once. It’s a very unique oolong – and it’s rare that I find this peachy flavor with oolongs. Last steep session I was tasting mostly pineapple in the first cup, but that is missing here (probably because I used so many leaves last time). The second steep is exactly the same. The third steep is the same as well, but there is a little more bite to it. After the first two steeps being so sweet and creamy, the bite isn’t really a problem though. I’m surprised this one doesn’t change with flavor more over the course of steeping it, but with such a tasty flavor, I’m glad it doesn’t change too much. It’s nice to know that I can’t really ruin oolong… it tastes great no matter which way I steep it!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for 11 ounce mug // rinse // 5 minutes after boiling // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 1 1/2 minute steep