Superfine Taiwan Qing Xiang Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Floral, Nuts, Vegetal, Astringent, Honeysuckle, Milk, Apple, Butter, Flowers, Nectar, Oats, Pear, Sweet, Peach, Spinach, Thick, Beany, Salty, Cream, Fruity, Grass, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hmmm, I could have sworn I wrote a tasting note about my first session with this tea. But it’s not on the page. My earlier sessions of it were light and floral, without much roasting. This...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “I drank 36oz of this yesterday – and will probably continue on with it later today. I was a bit surprised when I opened the packet. I’ve had a dong ding before and had my mind set on...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1580 tasting notes
  • “It’s the perfect day to relax with some green oolong. I love this lightly floral and summer flower flavor. It tastes like youthful innocence. Definitely is one of the loveliest green...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 521 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Sweet and lush with a very satisfying, soft and silky mouthfeel. Exotic floral notes and hints of fruit. I can taste notes of peach as well as a creamy note. A slight grassy tone in the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: April 22, 2015

Taste: high aroma, sweet and mellow taste with obvious osmanthus fragrance; has strong sweet aftertaste.

The tea is planted in the area at the altitude of 1000 meters. So this is also a High Mountain tea, which is known as its obvious floral fragrance. This Dong Ding Qing Xiang Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. This tea has thick and soft leaf, refreshing tea liquid, with strong osmanthus scent. Meanwhile it has strong sweet aftertaste, which makes High Mountain tea more excellent than low altitude tea.

About Teavivre View company

Last tea in my Teavivre oolong tasting. Then it’s back to tasting random things, I guess!

The little leaf nuggets of this tea are tiny this time. Itty bitty, super tightly rolled leaves. They still expanded to reveal they were mostly complete, however. As they steep, the water turns bright greenish yellow. A very cheerful color!

The scent is pungent and a little nutty, but the flavor is neither. It’s so creamy! Buttery, even, with a sort of slow-cooked vegetable taste. However, in the exhale and aftertaste, I’m getting flowers. Maybe gardenia or hyacinth. Even after four minutes there is no astringency or bitterness. Just lovely summery notes.

This oolong has a lot going on, but it’s a harmony. I keep saying “this is my new favorite oolong” when I try these teas, but I feel that way each time I try a new one! Sad to see my Teavivre oolongs go. Maybe once I get through more of my stash, I’ll reward myself with more.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Vegetal

Red Fennekin

Mmm, this sounds like the type of oolong I’m really into at the moment. I love that kind of floral, creamy, vegetal combo that they have :D

If you haven’t tried any of Teavivre’s oolongs, I highly recommend them! They taught me just how great oolongs can be after years of thinking I didn’t like them. Also, I’ve been meaning to say that I love your username. I took my Fennekin all the way to the Elite Four.

I last drank this last mid-November of 2014. This note is for educational purposes. Ratings won’t be deleted to keep the integrity of my first tasting note.

Gongfu session with a ceramic gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 30, 30, 45, 45, 60, 90, 120, 180, 240.

The leaf post-rinse has a light and sweet floral fragrance. Early spring-like, leaves still “flowers” on trees. The liquor is light yellow and has a light body. Fuzzies float around. The texture starts off as creamy, then becomes soft and thick. The flavor profile does not change throughout the session. Instant yum! with the first sip. Very sweet, delicately floral, fruity (mostly peaches and apricots) aftertaste.

How it differs from the first time: definitely not vegetal and seaweed-y (clearly wanted to have more Japanese greens in my life back then). Not as floral, certainly no roasted vegetables or tartness or berries. I’m able to discern more sweetness and appreciate its gentle qualities. I changed my mind from mid-summer to early spring. It’s because this Dong Ding is not roasted. These leaves were plucked from a kind of bush mostly used for pouchong. A lovely non-roasted Dong Ding, not quite every day, but not incredibly special.

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Another TeaVivre oolong! This was one of the free samples that Stephanie chose, and she was sweet enough to share a sample packet with me. I had such a good time trying my free oolongs, I figured why not one more? This one is not roasted, and the pellets are a lovely medium olive green with their usual widely varying size. Dry scent is very sweet with strong peach presence, light grassy notes, and a bit of floral.

The steeped liquid shares the strong peach aroma, and the floral aspect is now a bit heavier. I must admit, this is not my favorite flavor profile, and this is the reason I have been avoiding green oolongs for a while now. It’s heavily floral and it me, it sort of tastes like perfume. There’s a background flavor of steamed greens and butter, and the texture is quite thick, as I have come to expect from greener oolongs. I don’t get much peach here, surprisingly, perhaps a bit in the aftertaste. Not my style!

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Peach, Spinach, Thick, Vegetal

ok….def vegetal….earthy. Spinach. But smooth yet sharp. A little buttery but not creamy. More earthy. Earthy is the word. Strongest flavor upfront is the spinach or leafy green flavor. It’s a good sip tho. Classic oolong for me.

Thanks to Angel and TeaVivre for the sample!

This is a very nice oolong! Super buttery and vegetal, with some nice sweetness and faint floral highlights on top. I always forget how much I like oolongs like this one until I drink one again. Quite good! :)

Dry leaf aroma: buttery, squash, ver lighty light pepper note, seaweed, floral, sweet
Brewed tea aroma: Floral, honey, spinach

Thick mouthfeel, slight salty on finish, floral throughout, buttery top note, quick sharp sweetness, bean-like flavour, hint of spinach at the end of the sip

Flavors: Beany, Butter, Floral, Salty, Spinach, Sweet

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

Additional notes: I’m just now breaking into this one that I bought (after trying a sample – so there is another tasting note for this one!) Teavivre teas are so well packaged! I know packaged like this, the freshness will last for a while. I wanted to use less than the 2 1/2 teaspoons I used last time, so I went with 1 1/2 teaspoons. The leaves unravel very quickly after a minute steep! The aroma and flavor is divine – somehow the flavor is creamy, a little spicy and peachy all at once. It’s a very unique oolong – and it’s rare that I find this peachy flavor with oolongs. Last steep session I was tasting mostly pineapple in the first cup, but that is missing here (probably because I used so many leaves last time). The second steep is exactly the same. The third steep is the same as well, but there is a little more bite to it. After the first two steeps being so sweet and creamy, the bite isn’t really a problem though. I’m surprised this one doesn’t change with flavor more over the course of steeping it, but with such a tasty flavor, I’m glad it doesn’t change too much. It’s nice to know that I can’t really ruin oolong… it tastes great no matter which way I steep it!
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for 11 ounce mug // rinse // 5 minutes after boiling // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 1 1/2 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 minutes
Harvest: May 10, 2014

Flavors: Cream, Peach

According to Teavivre this tea was picked in August 1, 2013 so the tea has been sleeping for a long time. So first I breathed on the dry tea to wake it up and was promptly greeted with a milky, interesting smell.
With the tea now awoken I steeped half the 7g free sample pack I received in hot water. Upon sipping my cup I loved the sweet taste, like honey, and how creamy it was. It was perhaps less creamy than the Superfine Taiwan Ali Shan that I also sampled prior, the Qing Xiang Dong Ding I thought had a very subtle “harshness” to it, that i associate more with green tea. Overall, the taste is very kind and forgiving.
After two hot steepings like this I put the wet leaves in a sport shaker with cold water and put it in the fridge. At this point I took the time to appreciate how pretty and large the green leaves had become.
After a few hours cold steeping, I got a luscious ice tea out of the already-used leaves. I’m impressed by how much flavor there is within this oolong tea! The round, sweet and mild taste really lends itself to making ice tea in my opinion, and there is a mild hazelnut taste as an added bonus. Because the leaves are so large, it was really convenient for me to sip on the tea straight out of my shaker without the need to strain the tea. I also got a second similarly heavenly cold brew out of the leaves.
Overall I’m really pleased with this tea, it is now my favorite oolong tea so far. Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Honey

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I drank this oolong a few weeks ago and forgot to review it. But thanks to the three pack sample I received from the generous Angel at Teavivre, I am able to drink some again tonight.

You know when you eat a nice dish and there’s that taste you like but can’t quite put your finger on? Well for me, it’s often the same ingredient, I always go, «oh, yes, that’s what it is» once I find out.

Well again, here’s that “secret” ingredient, but this time it is so obvious to me that I can identify it quickly: nutmeg!

Yes, big nutmeg and strong floral notes. It’s got that buttery feel as well and with the spiciness, it makes it an almost savoury oolong. There’s a fresh astringency cutting through the thickness of this tea. I like that.

The leaves are perfect, large and unbroken with many stems still attached to them.

This will be my last tea of the night, as I’m only at my second steep and it will go on forever, I can tell.

Angel, thank you for giving me the opportunity to try this wonderful tea, much appreciated!

This was another green oolong that TheTeaFairy so generously sent me.
Are my tastes changing? Can she choose green oolong more to my tastes than I can? Dunno but this is the second one in two days that I’ve liked. Again, a hint of floral but not in your face. Nice, light green oolong. I still don’t think that these are my favorite type of tea, but they may be growing on me, especially with the weather starting to warm a little.
I need to keep looking at these as the opportunity arises……

So glad you liked it. I think you are right, this one isn’t overly floral at all, that would explain why you’re not turned off by it.

LOL two in two days – I’m surprised too at how much I’m liking them. These weren’t too floral and they weren’t “grassy” so it was all good for me. :)