Superfine Taiwan Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Roasted, Soap, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Melon, Sugarcane, Vegetal, Grain, Roasted nuts, Toast, Earth, Grass, Nutty, Hay, Roasted Barley, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Sweet, Orchid, Popcorn, Cream, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan.

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: September 10, 2014

Taste: smooth and soft, full and profound flavor with sweet roasting taste.

This Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. By roasting the tea, this Dong Ding Oolong has thick and soft leaf, smooth and brisk tea liquid. Meanwhile the strong floral fragrance makes it taste rich. This is the reason that High Mountain tea is more excellent than low altitude tea. What’s more, this brings more opportunities for tea lovers to try different flavors.

About Teavivre View company

I think I would have to say this is one of the best oolongs teas I’ve had!
The reason for this is I was able to get amazing flavor steep after steep. It was also my first time trying a roasted oolong.

wow….am I really the first to rate this??

ok…. no pressure or anything…

Ok well hot….it’s pretty strong in flavor…little spinach…vegetal?…but def smooth. Sort of a thick mouthfeel if that makes sense. It smells slightly sweet and floral. The main taste is that strong spinach leafy taste…but then it develops into more of a floral….

Letting it cool a bit more…

hmm….it’s allright…nothing too special. Maybe I’m just expecting more for some reason. It IS brisk tho.

Second steep. Less spinach taste but now it seems almost bitter. It’s odd.

It’s not a bad tea…but nothing I think I HAVE to have.

I’ll have to give it a couple more tries before I can rate it

From the purchased sample pack. Impressions leave an okay thought, an expensive price tag thought and not much steeps before the flavours just fades to an ordinary tea tree bush vegetal taste thought. To be honest I am not impressed and is no where near the taste and quality of the xing xiang oolong. Don’t get me wrong, it’s okay but not for $26 /100g

Roast is okay. Leaves are a bit tattered.

Tea is between light and creamy. A distinct smoke note though not very interesting. I ended up throwing the rest of the sample in the garden.

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 75 ML
TeaVivre

If you don’t mind, would you please let me know your brewing method?

benefit

3.5g / 75ml 90-85 degrees celsius 10s rinse, 30s,30s,45s,60s

benefit

spring water used -

TeaVivre

Thanks for your information about the brewing methos. Here is our GongFu way for your reference, please kindly check it as below:

110 ml / 100 ℃
Use 7 Grams Tea
7 steeps : rinse,15s,15s,20s,30s,40s,60s,80s

Except the roasted flavor, the fruity taste and slight floral fragrance can be also found in this tea, as well as notes of caramel in aftertaste. The taste of this tea is balanced by a very sweet roast which brings out mellower taste.

Sometimes, we may need to try several times until we find a best cup. If you prefer, I can arrange free samples for Roasted Doing Ding Oolong for your next order to taste.

Honestly just a really solid Dong Ding. Tastes about like you expect, but it’s such a reliably good tea!

Update: Realised I hadn’t de-scaled my kettle after about a month of use, wondering if this might have contributed to the mineral / metallic taste. Will try again in the future with good water.

1st & 2nd infusions:
Maybe a bit too roasty for me. In the 2nd infusion I smelled notes of cream and burnt sugar, but no hint of sweetness in its austere taste at all. This tastes to me like that Ito En bottled chilled Golden Oolong.

4th infusion:
I’m getting a bit nauseous / headachey. My partner pointed out that this tea tastes a bit soapy. It’s probably not entirely the tea’s fault, but this is just not a good experience for me today. I might try the 2016 harvest at some point to give it another shot.

Brewed at 203˚F.

Flavors: Roasted, Soap

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

The dry leaf of this smells like roasted seaweed. Unfortunately, I got distracted and stopped taking notes soon after starting this sipdown gongfu session, so my impressions are pretty sparse. I have no idea how many steeps I ultimately got out of it or whether the flavor profile changed over time. I do know that this brews up a very pale yellow, to the point that it almost looks like water. The dominant flavor note is roasted seaweed, but it’s light enough to still be pleasant. The trick to this one is definitely short steep times, though. I distinctly remember making it Western-style a while ago and finding it too salty to drink.

This was a beautiful treat! I opened my package and revealed only a few little vibrant green glossy orbs. They carried a strong milky and vegetal aroma; moreover, I could hint a slight floral background. I placed these little gems in my warmed gaiwan and gave them a shake. This smooth scent became of creamy dried fruit with floral nectar sweetness. I began brewing right away. I washed these emeralds, and I brewed a few cups. The steeped leaves scent dropped to a deep vegetal tone with a sweetness of squash and melon. The flavor was simply amazing. This brew had a smooth and light body. The vegetal tone combined well with a refreshing sweetness and honey soothing quality. The leaves of this brew were unbelievably beautiful. The steeped long slender steeped leaves in my gaiwan were my favorite part of this tea session. The liquor was a pale jade, and it kept strong and soothing for 10+ steepings. The small amount that I had (5g) overfilled my gaiwan and lasted for a long tea session. This was definitely a treat for me, and I will be getting more of this someday!

Flavors: Creamy, Dried Fruit, Floral, Honey, Melon, Sugarcane, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

Oh no! I’m so sorry TeaVivre! I was generously given this sample for review ages ago and apparently lost it until just now. It was a nice surprise to find though because I really enjoyed drinking it today. It was very sweet and slightly vegetal with a slight roasty flavor to round it all out. There are some mineral notes as well. Extremely nice oolong and so sorry again for the very late review!

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this sample!

I used about 6g of leaf in my 100ml Gaiwan. This was a light roasted green oolong. It was nice for the cold afternoon. Even though this was a roasted oolong there were still hints of fruit and floral that seeped through the roasty flavor. I haven’t had too many oolongs that were moderately roasted. This was enjoyable tea, but not my favorite flavor profile.

When it is snowing, I drink more tea. Makes it nice to watch from inside if I have a nice warm beverage. Today, I decided to try this. Mostly for warmth and because this is my first mug of oolong tea this year. The dry leaves have a sweet, dried fruit scent, with some roasted nuts. Brewed, I get more roasted nuts. That comes out more in the flavour, along with something toasted grain bread. Thanks to Teavivre for this sample.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Grain, Roasted nuts, Toast