Superfine Taiwan Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Hay, Nutty, Roasted Barley, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Grass, Honey, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Orchid, Popcorn, Toast, Cream, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Village, Nantou, Taiwan.

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: September 10, 2014

Taste: smooth and soft, full and profound flavor with sweet roasting taste.

This Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong Tea is made of the tea leaves from Qing Xin Oolong tea tree. By roasting the tea, this Dong Ding Oolong has thick and soft leaf, smooth and brisk tea liquid. Meanwhile the strong floral fragrance makes it taste rich. This is the reason that High Mountain tea is more excellent than low altitude tea. What’s more, this brings more opportunities for tea lovers to try different flavors.

About Teavivre View company

I think I would have to say this is one of the best oolongs teas I’ve had!
The reason for this is I was able to get amazing flavor steep after steep. It was also my first time trying a roasted oolong.

wow….am I really the first to rate this??

ok…. no pressure or anything…

Ok well hot….it’s pretty strong in flavor…little spinach…vegetal?…but def smooth. Sort of a thick mouthfeel if that makes sense. It smells slightly sweet and floral. The main taste is that strong spinach leafy taste…but then it develops into more of a floral….

Letting it cool a bit more…

hmm….it’s allright…nothing too special. Maybe I’m just expecting more for some reason. It IS brisk tho.

Second steep. Less spinach taste but now it seems almost bitter. It’s odd.

It’s not a bad tea…but nothing I think I HAVE to have.

I’ll have to give it a couple more tries before I can rate it

The dry leaf aroma is awesome! It smells like a mix between Tie Guan Yin and Houjicha, both of which I love so I’m excited about this one. The brewed tea has a lovely roasted aroma. Now that I think about it, I think this is my first roasted oolong! Yay for fun new things!

The flavor is less roasted than the aroma. This is really interesting tasting! It’s not as roasted as a Houjicha. It’s softer and greener with a lovely nutty, toasted hay profile. I really like this a lot! It does seem a bit astringent, especially as it cools. Second infusion is for 2 minutes 45 seconds. I ate a fortune cookie in between infusions, so that’s kind of confused my taste buds, hahaha. I think this cup tastes a little more like minerals and a little less like toasted hay. This cup is good but I liked the first infusion better.

I think I’m going to have to look into more of these roasted-type oolongs. This is called “moderately-roasted” so I assume there are more roasted versions available. I think this was a good tea to start with, and I can confidently recommend it to others. Big thanks to Angel and Teavivre for the free sample!

On a completely unrelated note, why do cats sleep on their faces? How do they breathe?! http://instagram.com/p/wW3LyOF-gi/

Flavors: Hay, Nutty, Roasted Barley

caile

Haha, cute pic!

Silly cat!

A sample with my order – also a sipdown! I think I’ve been lucky enough to try most of the oolong offerings from Teavivre, and though I wouldn’t usually choose a roasted oolong, as they aren’t my favorite, I wanted to try the roasted oolong Teavivre had in stock, as it was bound to be a delicious one. And it is!

Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // rinse // few min after boiling // 1 min steep
Two teaspoons in the sample for an eleven ounce mug. The leaves are darker bundles than most of the other Teavivre oolongs, but that is to be expected. The fragrance of the leaf is very vegetal. The flavor is the best roasted oolong I’ve tried: a nice balance of a typical green oolong but also with a roasted flavor, just enough charcoal to make it unique. I think the first roasted oolong I tried actually tasted like I steeped a piece of charcoal, so I think that one was too much for me. But this is the perfect flavor. Underneath is a lovely smooth buttery base.

Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 2 min steep
Another tasty cup – almost exactly like the first. The flavor has slightly deepened but to the perfect level of flavor. Not any more or less charcoal flavor to the oolong flavor than I’d prefer. Delicious!

Steep #3 // couple minutes after boiling // 3 min
Another consistent cup – the flavor of this is addictive… very shocking to me for a roasted oolong. They are usually my least favorite types of tea. I could keep steeping this one – the leaves seem like they will be this flavorful for many steeps. I think I’ve steeped it perfectly so far too. If I wanted a roasted oolong to stock in my cupboard, I would certainly pick this one! This one is tempting to buy!

6/10 sipdowns until 1,500 tasting notes

Kittenna

I’ve been debating stocking up on this one as my go-to roasted oolong, but can’t justify stocking up on a readily-available tea quite yet! (Too many others to sipdown).

Tea Sipper

Good to know you’d also consider this as your go-to roasted oolong.. I’m sure you’ve tried more than I have. :D

Kittenna

I don’t think I’ve tried a ton of the roasted rolled oolongs, but this was definitely a standout for me. :D I’ve had some from Verdant, which were also pretty good, but I’ve had a couple others (I believe), that weren’t as flavourful.

This was a free sample provided in exchange for review by the lovely and sweet Angel over at TeaVivre. I really enjoyed the other Dong Ding sample that I tried, so I’m pretty excited to try this one as well, especially since I tend to love the medium-roast style oolongs. The irregular pellets are a dark olive green in color, with a lot of brown tones from the roasting process. They smell very sweet in a clear, sugarcane kind of way, and I can also smell nutty and grassy notes.

Wow, the steeped liquid smells amazingly sweet and nutty with slight grassy or vegetal undertones. This tea tastes super nutty and comforting, with a bit of that autumn leaf flavor I often find in roasted teas. There’s also a mellow sweetness throughout the sip, and it’s somewhat honey-like but I think it reminds me more of some type of fruit. In fact, there’s definitely a slight fruity note that’s especially clear in the aftertaste, I’m thinking starfruit or apples. I can definitely see similarities between this tea and the Gui Fei that I have in my cupboard. Yum!

Flavors: Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Grass, Honey, Roasted nuts, Sweet

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 205 degrees, 3minutes, French Press

Dry Leaf Aroma: Smells like sweet florals. Very pretty

Brewing Aroma: Roasty, like toasted rice. It smells like a genmaicha!

Flavor: This tastes roasty with a light floral tone. It’s interesting. I’m picking up the same kinds of flavors that I’d find in a genmaicha. It wasn’t astringent or bitter. This was a nice, smooth breakfast tea. Yum!

I am such a nerd. I, thanks to trading in some unwanted books to amazon and hoarding credit thanks to doing bing searches, have saved up about $30 worth of amazon credit. Well almost, I am waiting for my book trade-ins to finish processing, the wait is agony! Of course I am spending it on the expected origami paper, but I am most excited about the one of the books I will be procuring. Soon I will have a (2013) college textbook to Meteorology to peruse for light reading. There is also a Geology textbook I am getting, but I admit, I am practically bouncing in excitement for the Meteorology book. Yep, total nerd.

Today’s tea is another one of Teavivre’s oolong teas, specifically Superfine Taiwan Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong Tea. Phew, that name is a mouthful, but very descriptive, we know this tea is an oolong, specifically a Dong Ding (or Tung Ting) from Taiwan (Nantou to be exact), and that it is moderately roasted. This will be my first ever dance with a moderately roasted Dong Ding, I like that I am gathering all aspects of the roasting spectrum in my constant quest to try all the teas. The aroma of the dried leaves is really neat, it is a blend of roasted and floral. You get notes of sweet roasted popcorn and barley, this fades to orchid and honeysuckle, which in turn fades to a subtle chestnut. The dried leaves smell delicious, I really like the balance between floral and roasted.

After the leaves have had a bath in the gaiwan the aroma of the now wet leaves is much more roasty-toasty. It has a sharpness to it that I associate with roasted oolongs. There is a blend of roasted barley and legit toast. There is also a hint of floral, but it is more of a memory than a strong aroma. The liquid is toasted and buttery with notes of yeasty toast, roasted barley, and a finish of subtly sweet popcorn.

The first steep is subtle yet tasty, you can tell this tea has not fully ‘woken up’ yet so the flavors present are not very strong. Oh the joys of short steeping and watching a tea’s flavor bloom. The taste is roasted with notes of toast and popcorn, it has a finish of subtly sweet chestnut.

On the second steep, the tea’s aroma stays toasty, but it is more on the popcorn and barely notes and not so much the toast. There is also a hint of cream in the aroma as well, right at the finish. The mouthfeel is a bit dry which really highlights the popcorn sweetness. There are also notes of chestnut and a hint of yeasty toast, these come to a delicate, floral finish. Much like a wisp of flower’s being brought in on a breeze.

The aroma of the third steep is quite richly toasted and sweet, it vaguely reminds me of kettle corn, with a tiny hint of toast. The taste starts out with a sweet yet bold blend of roasted barley and toast, this fades to a fresh vegetation taste. There are no notes of floral this time, but there is a molasses aftertaste which is quite tasty. The mouthfeel is dry, much like the previous steep.

Fourth steeping time! The aroma is much like the previous steep with strong notes of toast and roasted corn, but with a sweetness. The taste is quite sharp and distinct, it has a slight bitterness similar to coffee with a quick transition to roasted barley. This steep is not very sweet, in fact it is more on the savory side with an almost salty quality. It has a great refreshing and moisturizing effect in my mouth and is cooling. This steep was very rich!

For the fifth steep we have a different aroma, there is, of course the rich toasted aroma, but there is also an alpine fresh vegetation aroma and a finish of distant flowers. The taste is a contrast as well, there is no bitterness, instead the taste is like sweet corm and roasted chestnuts with a finish of yeasty toast. The mouth is dry that changes to a salivary effect at the end, very refreshing.

The aroma of the sixth and final steeping is buttery and sweet, very little toasted aroma left, just a bit of chestnut and fresh vegetation. The taste is like a much milder version of the fifth steep, it is a very soothing finish to a nicely toasted tea. I admit I was expecting a bit more of a floral and roast blend from the initial aroma of the dry leaves, but I am not too sad because I love roasted oolongs. They always remind me of autumn days and rainy evenings while snuggled up under a warm blanket.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/teavivre-superfine-taiwan-moderately.html

Flavors: Orchid, Popcorn, Roasted Barley, Toast

This is a sample I picked up from Nicole_Martin at a meet-up a few months back. It’s okay, but a little too green for me—that floral oolong note is just a little too strong, and there’s not as much roastiness as I’d like. It’s a little bit sweet, more so than most oolongs I’ve had. This is a perfectly good tea; it’s just that the flavor profile doesn’t really match up with my oolong preferences.

Thank you to Teavivre for this sample!!
Delicious , slightly creamy and floral. I do catch a subtle amount of roastiness but it is moderate as the title says. There is also a cleansing astringency if you steep it longer. I thought three minutes was perfect and then I steeped the tea for one more minute and I wished I had stopped at three minutes but that’s why I like to taste at every minute when I am sampling so I learn!! :)
The aroma of this tea is smelling so lovely!!!!!!!!

Flavors: Cream, Flowers

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Medium Oolong that is light amber in color and has a mild hay aroma. I taste the roasted flavor with a slight sweetness and a little bit of floral flavor at the end. This tea tastes pretty good but I am not the biggest fan of its aftertaste.

205 °F / 96 °C