Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Butter, Floral, Sweet, Vegetal, Mineral, Grass, Smooth, Salt, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Teavivre

Origin: Nantou (南投), Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2014

Taste: fragrant and brisk, with sweet aftertaste

Although Taiwan originates from Fujian, China, its flavor is quite distinct with Fujian Oolong tea. Like this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea, it is recommended for beginners of Taiwan oolong. Different from the high aroma of Fujian Oolong, this tea has light floral fragrance.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks again, Angel, for this sample!

I don’t have a handle yet on what makes a fine oolong tea. Until I do, I’ll continue to focus on taste.

When I opened the sample packet, the aroma was familiar. It took me a few seconds to identify it. And then I got it: snickerdoodles!

I steeped the twisted little dark leaves for two minutes at 212 degrees as recommended. The brewed color was a pale yellow. The smell was slightly syrupy and airy.

The flavor was light, a bit sweet, and extremely smooth. One thing I’ve noticed about all of the oolongs that I’ve tried so far is that this category seems to be devoid of the earthy and grassy flavor characteristics that I’ve grown accustomed to with black and green teas. This selection was no exception.

The flavor was not powerful but it was sweet, pleasing, and refreshing. No “tea taste” was present and not even a whisper of bitterness could be found.

This is an engaging oolong tea with a faintly sweet and pleasant aftertaste. I wouldn’t add it to your list of robust blends, but if you are looking for a light, sweet, and silky smooth brew, this one can’t be beat! Oh, and did I mention it is sweet?

This is a quite floral smelling and tasting oolong on the first steep (in a good way). On the second steep it balances out more with earthy/minerally notes. I originally only intended to have one mug of this while watching a movie, but I was enjoying it and drinking it down so fast, I kept pausing the movie to go make more.

I tried brewing this two different ways today, in a porcelain gaiwan and a terracotta clay teapot; I’ve always found a bitter taste to (most) oolongs, and a friend suggested I try brewing them in clay to reduce that, which I think works, but I’ve not tested side-by-side with the same tea ’til now.

Gaiwan-Brewed
3g-4g in a gaiwan using 95C water at about 30 seconds per steep. I re-infused the leaves about five times, and both my housemate and I tasted the liquor of each infusion. He found it pleasant, mild and sweetly vegetal; I found it mouth-puckeringly, nose-wrinkling bitter, and getting worse with each infusion until I couldn’t drink any more of it.

Clay Teapot-Brewed
7g in 500ml of 95C water in a terracotta clay teapot, 5-minute steeps for 3 infusions. Again, my housemate and I shared the liquor. This time we both found it mildly grassy with a pleasant sweetness, a faint earthy undertone, and a slightly spicy aftertaste. The final infusion was brighter and milder than earlier steeps, and it had lost the earthy undertone entirely.

I’m rating this tea on my clay-brewed experience of it because the extreme bitterness is something I seem to get with a lot of porcelain/glass brewed oolongs, and which most people don’t seem to find (or at least not to the same extent).

Brewed to my own peculiar tastes, this is an oolong I’d drink day-to-day; it’s not astonishingly captivating, but it’s nicely refreshing with mild flavours.

Very reminiscent of a Chinese Tin Kuan Yin, yet with different complexities. This is my first Taiwan high mountain tea and it will certainly not be my last. I love how the taste varies over many steepings. The aromas are very nice and refreshing. Definitely recommend!

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Sweet, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 85 ML

What is that soggy-leaf flavor that some teas have? If I could pinpoint this, I think I’d be much better able to identify my own tea preferences. Is it the ‘floral’ note?

Definitely sticking to oolongs with a ‘roasted’ flavor profile in the future.

Flavors: Floral

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 45 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

I get a lot of vegetal and mineral with this one. I like oolongs a lot, but this isn’t my favorite style. It would be a good summer oolong, very crisp and fresh tasting.

Backlog:

I do love Teavivre. One of the best companies out there. Seriously. Especially if you’re looking for a top-notch Oolong.

I mention in my full-length review of this tea, found here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/11/20/taiwan-high-mountain-oolong-tea-from-teavivre/ that the wording of the description of this tea sounds as though this is a ‘beginner’ type of Oolong. I certainly don’t consider myself a beginner since I’ve had quite a lot of Oolong teas over the past six years or so as a tea reviewer, but I think that this is a tea that even a more advanced Oolong drinker can enjoy.

It isn’t as creamy as some High Mountain Oolong teas and I also found this to be less floral than most green Oolongs. This has more of a delicate flavor to it and I do understand why this is considered a ‘beginner’ Oolong because sometimes those new to Oolong teas are somewhat put off by the strong floral qualities of green Oolong teas.

This tea is soft, sweet, and subtle. It has a silky texture. Hints of melon in the background. Later infusions proved to be a little more floral than the first, but was still a very pleasant, easy drinking tea.

The texture of this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea from Teavivre is exceptionally smooth and silken, reminding me of milk oolong except that this one is more floral. I like it a lot!

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for the free sample! This is an all right oolong. It’s vegetal and buttery. I’m not getting anything floral. There’s maybe a hint of minerals, but that’s about it. The aftertaste fades quickly. I think I should have gone for a longer infusion because the flavor doesn’t taste entirely developed yet.

Second infusion for 2.5 minutes is surprisingly not very flavorful either. The aftertaste is weird and mineral-y and just not good. I’m confused. This tea seems like a dud and Teavivre isn’t known for producing duds. I tried a third infusion for 5 minutes before giving up on this one. The initial flavor was slightly better but the aftertaste is still mineral-y and unpleasant. I can’t say I recommend this one, though their other oolongs have been much more enjoyable.

Flavors: Butter, Mineral, Vegetal

Ysaurella

wasn’t my fav neither

CHAroma

My husband thought it tasted fine but I was pretty underwhelmed.

Yesterday I went to the post to take what I thought was a letter (that is that the postman had written on the document ) and they brought me a small package … cute with Chinese inscriptions . It was my packet of Oolongs samples generously sent by Angel at Teavivre .

I get nice little oxidized leaves, from an emerald green. After 5 minutes into a boiling water , the leaves swell very impressively.

The liquor is of an exceptional transparency, very pale yellow/ green.

The texture of this tea is very light. It has no velvety body, it’s not smooth at all . Sometimes we get small spikes of bitterness that soar … and immediately fall , caught up , channeled through a certain sweetness .

This is an extremely floral and green tea. The aftertaste is essentially herbal. It leaves an intense feeling of purity . An extremely green and pure tea.

It will delight fans of Oolongs with a low oxidization. I’m more a fan of semi and highly oxidized oolongs , but I must recognize that this tea is from very high quality and very pleasant to taste .

Thank you again to Angel for allowing me to test this tea and to take me out of my comfort zone. It ’s thanks to Angel I am knowing by now I am really enjoying pu- erh teas. I need to be a little pushed and shoved in my convictions and preferences sometimes .

you can see some pics of my session with this Oolong here : https://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/taiwan-high-mountain-oolong-tea-teavivre/

tunes&tea

Very nice pics & nice tea ware as well. I wish I spoke French. I also love the generosity of Teavivre with their samples. I just made a nice sized Black Friday purchase with them I’m excited to be getting soon.

tunes&tea

I was going to send you a PM about trying a lower temp but I guess you’re not following me, not that I’ve been around for 2 years to ‘follow’.

Ysaurella

resolved ! you’re followed :) I had problems with steepster during the last 4 months and it seems some of the people I was following were no more…probs with messages too..

Kittenna

^^ Steepster has been so buggy lately. Sigh.