Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Floral, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “We had a few people absent from our writers' group tonight, and since several of the attendees have really been loving the tea, I offered to use the extra time to do a gong fu tasting of this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1812 tasting notes
  • “A huge thank you to *Angel* & *Teavivre* for sending me some oolong samples! It was perfect timing, since I have just been refining my ability to taste the differences between different oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I don't drink oolongs often. It isn't that I don't like them because I definitely love them. The problem for me is they resteep so well that I feel like I am abandoning them if I stop before the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1293 tasting notes
  • “And here's another sipdown! That puts me at 100 tea! (And sadly, I look at my cupboard and think I need more. Maybe 10 different samples from DAVIDsTEA? /o\) Anyway, this was from one of the...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1672 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Nantou (南投), Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2013

Taste: fragrant and brisk, with sweet aftertaste

Although Taiwan originates from Fujian, China, its flavor is quite distinct with Fujian Oolong tea. Like this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea, it is recommended for beginners of Taiwan oolong. Different from the high aroma of Fujian Oolong, this tea has light floral fragrance.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks again, Angel, for this sample!

I don’t have a handle yet on what makes a fine oolong tea. Until I do, I’ll continue to focus on taste.

When I opened the sample packet, the aroma was familiar. It took me a few seconds to identify it. And then I got it: snickerdoodles!

I steeped the twisted little dark leaves for two minutes at 212 degrees as recommended. The brewed color was a pale yellow. The smell was slightly syrupy and airy.

The flavor was light, a bit sweet, and extremely smooth. One thing I’ve noticed about all of the oolongs that I’ve tried so far is that this category seems to be devoid of the earthy and grassy flavor characteristics that I’ve grown accustomed to with black and green teas. This selection was no exception.

The flavor was not powerful but it was sweet, pleasing, and refreshing. No “tea taste” was present and not even a whisper of bitterness could be found.

This is an engaging oolong tea with a faintly sweet and pleasant aftertaste. I wouldn’t add it to your list of robust blends, but if you are looking for a light, sweet, and silky smooth brew, this one can’t be beat! Oh, and did I mention it is sweet?

This is a quite floral smelling and tasting oolong on the first steep (in a good way). On the second steep it balances out more with earthy/minerally notes. I originally only intended to have one mug of this while watching a movie, but I was enjoying it and drinking it down so fast, I kept pausing the movie to go make more.

I tried brewing this two different ways today, in a porcelain gaiwan and a terracotta clay teapot; I’ve always found a bitter taste to (most) oolongs, and a friend suggested I try brewing them in clay to reduce that, which I think works, but I’ve not tested side-by-side with the same tea ’til now.

Gaiwan-Brewed
3g-4g in a gaiwan using 95C water at about 30 seconds per steep. I re-infused the leaves about five times, and both my housemate and I tasted the liquor of each infusion. He found it pleasant, mild and sweetly vegetal; I found it mouth-puckeringly, nose-wrinkling bitter, and getting worse with each infusion until I couldn’t drink any more of it.

Clay Teapot-Brewed
7g in 500ml of 95C water in a terracotta clay teapot, 5-minute steeps for 3 infusions. Again, my housemate and I shared the liquor. This time we both found it mildly grassy with a pleasant sweetness, a faint earthy undertone, and a slightly spicy aftertaste. The final infusion was brighter and milder than earlier steeps, and it had lost the earthy undertone entirely.

I’m rating this tea on my clay-brewed experience of it because the extreme bitterness is something I seem to get with a lot of porcelain/glass brewed oolongs, and which most people don’t seem to find (or at least not to the same extent).

Brewed to my own peculiar tastes, this is an oolong I’d drink day-to-day; it’s not astonishingly captivating, but it’s nicely refreshing with mild flavours.

This is a very floral and slightly sweet oolong. It’s not as exciting as other floral oolong teas I’ve tried but it’s nice in a simple way. The broth leaves the sensation of a buttery coating on the tongue- that’s something I usually appreciate!

Flavors: Butter, Floral

So I agreed to play grandpa style tea trial today. And in my hurry this morning, I picked this one because it was already measured out. I just dumped the whole sample packet into my carry mug, added some water, and out the door I went.

I probably should have rinsed this one first, but oh well.

The first bit was a little strong, but after I added more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, every time I got to about 2/3 or half full of tea and leaves, it was delicious.

I can see doing this a lot more often.

It’s a nice, easy way to enjoy tea, and it’s tasty.

I wish I’d tried this oolong a different way since it was my only sample of it, but c’est la vie. I would drink this again, for sure.

Oh, I decided to keep my water temperature lower, under 170°F because I wanted it at a temperature I would never have a problem drinking. (Especially since I did this in the carry mug and it doesn’t cool off.)

This is the last of the oolongs I needed to try from Teavivre’s oolong pouch. They have all been amazing. I used an entire pouch of these leaves: two flat teaspoons and not even half of another teaspoon. Another gorgeous green leaf color and the fragrance is mostly creamy vegetables with a hint of flowers.

Steep #1 // just boiled // rinse // 1 min
As usual, the flavor is amazing. This one is mostly butter. Not cream or milk… just BUTTER. Hints of floral in the flavor as well. A little savory like the oolong I tried the other day, but not as much. Very delicious.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 1 3/4 min
I was going for one minute on this steep too, but it ended up steeping more than I would have liked. It didn’t ruin the cup though! Another flavorful cup with just a touch of astringency to it. Otherwise, the flavors are identical to the first cup, just stronger. I think I’ll try all of these oolongs again with just one teaspoon, to see if they don’t get just that hint of astringency. They are very flavorful with two teaspoons though. So much oolong flavor!

Steep #3 // just boiled // 1 3/4 min
Another delicious buttery cup… still extreme amounts of flavor! I could probably steep this one 30 more times.

All five of the oolongs in this sampler have been the highest quality, most flavorful oolongs I’ve ever had the honor of steeping up. They are all slightly different and I loved brewing them all with the same parameters to make sure I could tell the differences. I have loved all of the oolongs that I’ve tried in general from Teavivre… except for the Anxi Monkey King for some reason (That one isn’t to my tastes unless I steeped it incorrectly the one time I had it.) My absolute favorite is the Iron Goddess TiGuanYin. Just mentioning it makes me want to steep up a cup right now! I’m so glad I started drinking tea. It’s something small that adds happiness to each and every day. There is always tea!

Flavors: Butter

Cheri

I got a sample of this with my last order. I’m planning on trying it today, if all works out as planned.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 195 degrees, grandpa style

Dry Leaf Aroma: Surprisingly non-floral. I didn’t smell much of anything.

Brewing Aroma: Buttery and floral.

Flavor: This is a great oolong! I have found that lightly oxidized oolongs tend to be my faves. I love picking out floral notes when I know the tea has not been scented with petals. I oversteeped this, because I forgot to set a timer and got distracted, but the tea was forgiving. There wasn’t bitterness in the first cup. I added more water, and the floral was there, but there was also fairly pronounced bite. Not the tea’s fault!

Thanks to Angel @ Teavivre, who provided very generous samples. Because of that, I can try this again and steep it properly. I think this may benefit from short steeps and/or gong fu brewing. I’ll update when I try it again!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, those high mountain buttery oolongs just rock my world :-)

Sarsonator

Then this would be right up your alley! It’s very good. I am steeping my special dark from Mandala now. I’ll be writing it up soon! Yay!

I’ve decided this an oolong weekend. This one smells floral, and a little green. It has a smooth, sweet flavour, more towards the floral side.

Green oolongs are my home tea. From here I go out and explore other teas, but I always come back to green oolongs, my first and true love. :)
I love to floral green aroma. Just like spring! That luscious hydrating liquid. Better than water for thirst. :) This tea makes me happy. It is not remarkable, but it is excellent.

I finally feel relaxed enough to get out my gaiwan and my oolongs to play with. My fiance is here too and is enjoying helping me taste my teas. We are putting each steep in my little ceramic tea pot and using that as a fair share so we get a nice even flavor. (Have I said thank you Teavivre often enough yet?)

Now, I haven’t had any tea in a while so I am out of practice picking out notes in tea, but this is nice and comforting. It tastes flowery but not overly flowery. There is a slight buttery taste at the back of the tongue, but it is just a hint. It tastes more green than a roasted one.

There is just something very complex and very simple about this at the same time. It is very nice and with the super short steeps it is very smooth. This would be a really nice oolong to introduce to someone that didn’t know oolongs and is very comforting right now.

I used one little sample packet to fill my oolong and it looks like I have a little forest in my gaiwan. I used boiling water for my second round of three steeps.

Flavors: Flowers

Boiling
__Morgana__

So sweet that your fiancé is “helping” taste your teas. :-)