Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “We had a few people absent from our writers' group tonight, and since several of the attendees have really been loving the tea, I offered to use the extra time to do a gong fu tasting of this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1798 tasting notes
  • “A huge thank you to *Angel* & *Teavivre* for sending me some oolong samples! It was perfect timing, since I have just been refining my ability to taste the differences between different oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I don't drink oolongs often. It isn't that I don't like them because I definitely love them. The problem for me is they resteep so well that I feel like I am abandoning them if I stop before the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1250 tasting notes
  • “And here's another sipdown! That puts me at 100 tea! (And sadly, I look at my cupboard and think I need more. Maybe 10 different samples from DAVIDsTEA? /o\) Anyway, this was from one of the...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1633 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Nantou (南投), Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2013

Taste: fragrant and brisk, with sweet aftertaste

Although Taiwan originates from Fujian, China, its flavor is quite distinct with Fujian Oolong tea. Like this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea, it is recommended for beginners of Taiwan oolong. Different from the high aroma of Fujian Oolong, this tea has light floral fragrance.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks again, Angel, for this sample!

I don’t have a handle yet on what makes a fine oolong tea. Until I do, I’ll continue to focus on taste.

When I opened the sample packet, the aroma was familiar. It took me a few seconds to identify it. And then I got it: snickerdoodles!

I steeped the twisted little dark leaves for two minutes at 212 degrees as recommended. The brewed color was a pale yellow. The smell was slightly syrupy and airy.

The flavor was light, a bit sweet, and extremely smooth. One thing I’ve noticed about all of the oolongs that I’ve tried so far is that this category seems to be devoid of the earthy and grassy flavor characteristics that I’ve grown accustomed to with black and green teas. This selection was no exception.

The flavor was not powerful but it was sweet, pleasing, and refreshing. No “tea taste” was present and not even a whisper of bitterness could be found.

This is an engaging oolong tea with a faintly sweet and pleasant aftertaste. I wouldn’t add it to your list of robust blends, but if you are looking for a light, sweet, and silky smooth brew, this one can’t be beat! Oh, and did I mention it is sweet?

This is a quite floral smelling and tasting oolong on the first steep (in a good way). On the second steep it balances out more with earthy/minerally notes. I originally only intended to have one mug of this while watching a movie, but I was enjoying it and drinking it down so fast, I kept pausing the movie to go make more.

I tried brewing this two different ways today, in a porcelain gaiwan and a terracotta clay teapot; I’ve always found a bitter taste to (most) oolongs, and a friend suggested I try brewing them in clay to reduce that, which I think works, but I’ve not tested side-by-side with the same tea ’til now.

Gaiwan-Brewed
3g-4g in a gaiwan using 95C water at about 30 seconds per steep. I re-infused the leaves about five times, and both my housemate and I tasted the liquor of each infusion. He found it pleasant, mild and sweetly vegetal; I found it mouth-puckeringly, nose-wrinkling bitter, and getting worse with each infusion until I couldn’t drink any more of it.

Clay Teapot-Brewed
7g in 500ml of 95C water in a terracotta clay teapot, 5-minute steeps for 3 infusions. Again, my housemate and I shared the liquor. This time we both found it mildly grassy with a pleasant sweetness, a faint earthy undertone, and a slightly spicy aftertaste. The final infusion was brighter and milder than earlier steeps, and it had lost the earthy undertone entirely.

I’m rating this tea on my clay-brewed experience of it because the extreme bitterness is something I seem to get with a lot of porcelain/glass brewed oolongs, and which most people don’t seem to find (or at least not to the same extent).

Brewed to my own peculiar tastes, this is an oolong I’d drink day-to-day; it’s not astonishingly captivating, but it’s nicely refreshing with mild flavours.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 195 degrees, grandpa style

Dry Leaf Aroma: Surprisingly non-floral. I didn’t smell much of anything.

Brewing Aroma: Buttery and floral.

Flavor: This is a great oolong! I have found that lightly oxidized oolongs tend to be my faves. I love picking out floral notes when I know the tea has not been scented with petals. I oversteeped this, because I forgot to set a timer and got distracted, but the tea was forgiving. There wasn’t bitterness in the first cup. I added more water, and the floral was there, but there was also fairly pronounced bite. Not the tea’s fault!

Thanks to Angel @ Teavivre, who provided very generous samples. Because of that, I can try this again and steep it properly. I think this may benefit from short steeps and/or gong fu brewing. I’ll update when I try it again!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, those high mountain buttery oolongs just rock my world :-)

Sarsonator

Then this would be right up your alley! It’s very good. I am steeping my special dark from Mandala now. I’ll be writing it up soon! Yay!

I’ve decided this an oolong weekend. This one smells floral, and a little green. It has a smooth, sweet flavour, more towards the floral side.

Green oolongs are my home tea. From here I go out and explore other teas, but I always come back to green oolongs, my first and true love. :)
I love to floral green aroma. Just like spring! That luscious hydrating liquid. Better than water for thirst. :) This tea makes me happy. It is not remarkable, but it is excellent.

I finally feel relaxed enough to get out my gaiwan and my oolongs to play with. My fiance is here too and is enjoying helping me taste my teas. We are putting each steep in my little ceramic tea pot and using that as a fair share so we get a nice even flavor. (Have I said thank you Teavivre often enough yet?)

Now, I haven’t had any tea in a while so I am out of practice picking out notes in tea, but this is nice and comforting. It tastes flowery but not overly flowery. There is a slight buttery taste at the back of the tongue, but it is just a hint. It tastes more green than a roasted one.

There is just something very complex and very simple about this at the same time. It is very nice and with the super short steeps it is very smooth. This would be a really nice oolong to introduce to someone that didn’t know oolongs and is very comforting right now.

I used one little sample packet to fill my oolong and it looks like I have a little forest in my gaiwan. I used boiling water for my second round of three steeps.

Flavors: Flowers

Boiling
__Morgana__

So sweet that your fiancé is “helping” taste your teas. :-)

Eager to provide my gaiwan with a tea session (and to benefit myself from said exercise), I eagerly open the package of tea and breathe in the aroma of the dry leaves. The smell is decidedly subtle but not weak. Above all, it actually reminds me a bit of the smell of a Ti Kwan Yin, yet with marked difference. The floral aromas coming from the leaves are as far as that comparison goes. The leaves do not smell strongly vegetal, but they have a touch of sweetness. I hesitate to term it a fruitiness, but is almost as though the sweetness is partially (or wholly) apart from the floral notes. Light and bright are good descriptors.

After preheating my teaware, I rinse the leaves to begin to open their flavor and aromas more. Taking a whiff of the now-wet leaves in the gaiwan, I find it interesting that this high mountain oolong is even more floral than initially thought. Steeping the leaves for thirty seconds, the brew is eagerly poured from gaiwan to fairness pitcher to cup. My first sip is…unexpected! Now, I certainly mean this in a good way.

Based on the aromas that had been dancing from the dry and wet leaves, as well as the freshly steeped tea itself, I anticipated a light and perhaps sweet taste. What I got was bolder, a veritable flood of flavor across one’s mouth, yet it remained true to the original aromas.

The body of the taste is a certain floral greenness, yet not so green as to taste like one is drinking green tea. Natural sweetness laces the edges of the tea, but it seems that there is only enough sweetness to override any hints of astringency. Unsuspectingly, there are very few, if any, notes of creaminess about this oolong. The flavor is deep, though; my description making it sound far too simple. From sip to sip, it shows off a fully body of tastes, literally altering flavor as one sips, holds the tea in one’s mouth for a moment, and then swallows. This oolong has a mostly-green aftertaste. Hints of the floral profile stick around to remind the drinker of what they just experienced. It leaves one’s mouth feeling clean.

Over several more steepings, the flavors become more pronounced and a bit more bold in the green-area.

Despite the Teavivre description of their Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea being a beginner Taiwanese oolong, I think it is much, much more than that, eager and willing to show its complexities. I would definitely recommend giving this tea a try, and, unlike some of the teas that I recommend, I do not think that I shall say “if you like such-and-such a tea, give this oolong a try.” No, just give this oolong a try, unless you are adamantly opposed to floral oolongs. I think you will enjoy it. On my personal enjoyment scale, I rate this tea an 83/100.

Flavors: Flowers

Sipdown (118)! I have definitely had this tea before, but I don’t see a previous note about it, so I guess I just forgot to log it last time. Anyway, this is a perfectly nice, light, floral green oolong. It is a bit weaker in flavor than other oolongs that I’ve had, so I don’t think this one would be a restock for me. However, I’m really enjoying it.

On a side note, I’ve found that lately all of my green oolongs have had this damp flavor to them. Not sure if that has always been there and I’m just becoming more sensitive to it or if I need to store them better or they’re just getting old (but they’re not THAT old!). Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if this happens when I buy fresh tea. I hope not because oolongs are my favorite, and this damp-ish flavor is hindering my enjoyment a bit.

Edit: The steeped leaves are also really beautifully full when they’re unfurled.

Light Oolong that is yellow in color and has a steamed vegetable aroma. The tea is light, it’s not too sweet, and it has a floral and steamed spinach taste. This tea is pretty good, but it does not stand out as anything special.

205 °F / 96 °C