Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Butter, Mineral, Vegetal, Floral, Grass, Smooth, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “We had a few people absent from our writers' group tonight, and since several of the attendees have really been loving the tea, I offered to use the extra time to do a gong fu tasting of this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “A huge thank you to *Angel* & *Teavivre* for sending me some oolong samples! It was perfect timing, since I have just been refining my ability to taste the differences between different oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2606 tasting notes
  • “I don't drink oolongs often. It isn't that I don't like them because I definitely love them. The problem for me is they resteep so well that I feel like I am abandoning them if I stop before the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1412 tasting notes
  • “And here's another sipdown! That puts me at 100 tea! (And sadly, I look at my cupboard and think I need more. Maybe 10 different samples from DAVIDsTEA? /o\) Anyway, this was from one of the...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Nantou (南投), Taiwan

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: May, 2014

Taste: fragrant and brisk, with sweet aftertaste

Although Taiwan originates from Fujian, China, its flavor is quite distinct with Fujian Oolong tea. Like this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea, it is recommended for beginners of Taiwan oolong. Different from the high aroma of Fujian Oolong, this tea has light floral fragrance.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks again, Angel, for this sample!

I don’t have a handle yet on what makes a fine oolong tea. Until I do, I’ll continue to focus on taste.

When I opened the sample packet, the aroma was familiar. It took me a few seconds to identify it. And then I got it: snickerdoodles!

I steeped the twisted little dark leaves for two minutes at 212 degrees as recommended. The brewed color was a pale yellow. The smell was slightly syrupy and airy.

The flavor was light, a bit sweet, and extremely smooth. One thing I’ve noticed about all of the oolongs that I’ve tried so far is that this category seems to be devoid of the earthy and grassy flavor characteristics that I’ve grown accustomed to with black and green teas. This selection was no exception.

The flavor was not powerful but it was sweet, pleasing, and refreshing. No “tea taste” was present and not even a whisper of bitterness could be found.

This is an engaging oolong tea with a faintly sweet and pleasant aftertaste. I wouldn’t add it to your list of robust blends, but if you are looking for a light, sweet, and silky smooth brew, this one can’t be beat! Oh, and did I mention it is sweet?

This is a quite floral smelling and tasting oolong on the first steep (in a good way). On the second steep it balances out more with earthy/minerally notes. I originally only intended to have one mug of this while watching a movie, but I was enjoying it and drinking it down so fast, I kept pausing the movie to go make more.

I tried brewing this two different ways today, in a porcelain gaiwan and a terracotta clay teapot; I’ve always found a bitter taste to (most) oolongs, and a friend suggested I try brewing them in clay to reduce that, which I think works, but I’ve not tested side-by-side with the same tea ’til now.

Gaiwan-Brewed
3g-4g in a gaiwan using 95C water at about 30 seconds per steep. I re-infused the leaves about five times, and both my housemate and I tasted the liquor of each infusion. He found it pleasant, mild and sweetly vegetal; I found it mouth-puckeringly, nose-wrinkling bitter, and getting worse with each infusion until I couldn’t drink any more of it.

Clay Teapot-Brewed
7g in 500ml of 95C water in a terracotta clay teapot, 5-minute steeps for 3 infusions. Again, my housemate and I shared the liquor. This time we both found it mildly grassy with a pleasant sweetness, a faint earthy undertone, and a slightly spicy aftertaste. The final infusion was brighter and milder than earlier steeps, and it had lost the earthy undertone entirely.

I’m rating this tea on my clay-brewed experience of it because the extreme bitterness is something I seem to get with a lot of porcelain/glass brewed oolongs, and which most people don’t seem to find (or at least not to the same extent).

Brewed to my own peculiar tastes, this is an oolong I’d drink day-to-day; it’s not astonishingly captivating, but it’s nicely refreshing with mild flavours.

The texture of this Taiwan High Mountain Oolong Tea from Teavivre is exceptionally smooth and silken, reminding me of milk oolong except that this one is more floral. I like it a lot!

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for the free sample! This is an all right oolong. It’s vegetal and buttery. I’m not getting anything floral. There’s maybe a hint of minerals, but that’s about it. The aftertaste fades quickly. I think I should have gone for a longer infusion because the flavor doesn’t taste entirely developed yet.

Second infusion for 2.5 minutes is surprisingly not very flavorful either. The aftertaste is weird and mineral-y and just not good. I’m confused. This tea seems like a dud and Teavivre isn’t known for producing duds. I tried a third infusion for 5 minutes before giving up on this one. The initial flavor was slightly better but the aftertaste is still mineral-y and unpleasant. I can’t say I recommend this one, though their other oolongs have been much more enjoyable.

Flavors: Butter, Mineral, Vegetal

Ysaurella

wasn’t my fav neither

CHAroma

My husband thought it tasted fine but I was pretty underwhelmed.

Yesterday I went to the post to take what I thought was a letter (that is that the postman had written on the document ) and they brought me a small package … cute with Chinese inscriptions . It was my packet of Oolongs samples generously sent by Angel at Teavivre .

I get nice little oxidized leaves, from an emerald green. After 5 minutes into a boiling water , the leaves swell very impressively.

The liquor is of an exceptional transparency, very pale yellow/ green.

The texture of this tea is very light. It has no velvety body, it’s not smooth at all . Sometimes we get small spikes of bitterness that soar … and immediately fall , caught up , channeled through a certain sweetness .

This is an extremely floral and green tea. The aftertaste is essentially herbal. It leaves an intense feeling of purity . An extremely green and pure tea.

It will delight fans of Oolongs with a low oxidization. I’m more a fan of semi and highly oxidized oolongs , but I must recognize that this tea is from very high quality and very pleasant to taste .

Thank you again to Angel for allowing me to test this tea and to take me out of my comfort zone. It ’s thanks to Angel I am knowing by now I am really enjoying pu- erh teas. I need to be a little pushed and shoved in my convictions and preferences sometimes .

you can see some pics of my session with this Oolong here : https://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/taiwan-high-mountain-oolong-tea-teavivre/

tunes&tea

Very nice pics & nice tea ware as well. I wish I spoke French. I also love the generosity of Teavivre with their samples. I just made a nice sized Black Friday purchase with them I’m excited to be getting soon.

tunes&tea

I was going to send you a PM about trying a lower temp but I guess you’re not following me, not that I’ve been around for 2 years to ‘follow’.

Ysaurella

resolved ! you’re followed :) I had problems with steepster during the last 4 months and it seems some of the people I was following were no more…probs with messages too..

Kittenna

^^ Steepster has been so buggy lately. Sigh.

Got this one from Sarsonator in our swap a few weeks ago. She surprised me and gave me a whole lot of Teavivre samples. ^^ Because she is just awesome like that!
Now unlike Oriental Beauty, this one actually is floral-y.
It’s smooth and strong. Kinda grassy but really floral-y.
So it’s definitely a win in my mind! Woo!
Thanks, Sarsonator! :D

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Smooth

Sarsonator

Yay!!! Swap tastings!

Ost

Thanks so much for the samples! you da best! :P

This is a very floral and slightly sweet oolong. It’s not as exciting as other floral oolong teas I’ve tried but it’s nice in a simple way. The broth leaves the sensation of a buttery coating on the tongue- that’s something I usually appreciate!

Flavors: Butter, Floral

So I agreed to play grandpa style tea trial today. And in my hurry this morning, I picked this one because it was already measured out. I just dumped the whole sample packet into my carry mug, added some water, and out the door I went.

I probably should have rinsed this one first, but oh well.

The first bit was a little strong, but after I added more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, and more water, every time I got to about 2/3 or half full of tea and leaves, it was delicious.

I can see doing this a lot more often.

It’s a nice, easy way to enjoy tea, and it’s tasty.

I wish I’d tried this oolong a different way since it was my only sample of it, but c’est la vie. I would drink this again, for sure.

Oh, I decided to keep my water temperature lower, under 170°F because I wanted it at a temperature I would never have a problem drinking. (Especially since I did this in the carry mug and it doesn’t cool off.)

This is the last of the oolongs I needed to try from Teavivre’s oolong pouch. They have all been amazing. I used an entire pouch of these leaves: two flat teaspoons and not even half of another teaspoon. Another gorgeous green leaf color and the fragrance is mostly creamy vegetables with a hint of flowers.

Steep #1 // just boiled // rinse // 1 min
As usual, the flavor is amazing. This one is mostly butter. Not cream or milk… just BUTTER. Hints of floral in the flavor as well. A little savory like the oolong I tried the other day, but not as much. Very delicious.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 1 3/4 min
I was going for one minute on this steep too, but it ended up steeping more than I would have liked. It didn’t ruin the cup though! Another flavorful cup with just a touch of astringency to it. Otherwise, the flavors are identical to the first cup, just stronger. I think I’ll try all of these oolongs again with just one teaspoon, to see if they don’t get just that hint of astringency. They are very flavorful with two teaspoons though. So much oolong flavor!

Steep #3 // just boiled // 1 3/4 min
Another delicious buttery cup… still extreme amounts of flavor! I could probably steep this one 30 more times.

All five of the oolongs in this sampler have been the highest quality, most flavorful oolongs I’ve ever had the honor of steeping up. They are all slightly different and I loved brewing them all with the same parameters to make sure I could tell the differences. I have loved all of the oolongs that I’ve tried in general from Teavivre… except for the Anxi Monkey King for some reason (That one isn’t to my tastes unless I steeped it incorrectly the one time I had it.) My absolute favorite is the Iron Goddess TiGuanYin. Just mentioning it makes me want to steep up a cup right now! I’m so glad I started drinking tea. It’s something small that adds happiness to each and every day. There is always tea!

Flavors: Butter

Cheri

I got a sample of this with my last order. I’m planning on trying it today, if all works out as planned.