Fengqing Arbor Tree Ripened Pu-erh Cake Tea 2010

Pu-erh Tea
Wet Moss, Wet Wood, Earth, Nuts, Wood, Leather, Autumn Leaf Pile, Loam, Pine
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “ugh i hate steepster somedays. and my computer. lost my notes on this one…suffice it to say that again, angel is awesome. However, i prefer the other teavivre puerh that i had today over...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6050 tasting notes
  • “You can tell this is an Arbor tree by its bold and muddled flavor. Its not as bold and deep as an ancient tree or old tree but still it has a very distinct flavor. It starts with a dark underbrush...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 136 tasting notes
  • “Another sample, thank you so much Teavivre! I feel like I’m getting a handle on the general flavor profiles of pu-erh, at least by types if I’m going by Fengqing and Menghai. But of...” Read full tasting note
    tea-sipper 1663 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Angel for this sample. I enjoyed this tea. I thought it was good. I also have reason to beleive my taste buds are a little off lately. Luckily, I have enough sample left for at least one...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 594 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 50 to 100 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: Leaves Hand-picked on 2008

Taste: Mellow earthy sweet taste with flowery flavor

This Ripe Pu-erh Cake Teavivre choose is from the representative Pu-erh production area Fengqing. Fengqing is the original place of the world-wide famous Dian Hong Tea. And it is also a classic place of Yunnan Pu-erh. It is a place in Lingcang which is one of the four famous Pu-erh production areas. The taste of Fengqing Pu-erh is mellow and sweet, deeper than Pu-erh in other production area. And it usually has the flowery flavor of Dian Hong Tea .

About Teavivre View company

ugh i hate steepster somedays. and my computer. lost my notes on this one…suffice it to say that again, angel is awesome. However, i prefer the other teavivre puerh that i had today over this one, while this one is still a decent enough tea…it’s just not what i would prefer given the choice between the two :)

Final Count: 167

looseTman

“ugh i hate steepster somedays.”
Please share your specific frustrations with Jason so they can be addressed.

Please keep things friendly and .

You can tell this is an Arbor tree by its bold and muddled flavor. Its not as bold and deep as an ancient tree or old tree but still it has a very distinct flavor. It starts with a dark underbrush taste and continues as mellow and fungal. The aroma is one of newt and wet granite. Its almost as a walk through the forest after a rainstorm. The liquor brews into a dirty red liquor, which is a fantastic Shou. The wet leaves let out an encompassing aroma of moss and stone. Arbor tree tea usually has a very consistent taste profile and keeps a very stable brew. I’m sure to get steeps well into the night with these leaves.

Flavors: Wet Moss, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Another sample, thank you so much Teavivre! I feel like I’m getting a handle on the general flavor profiles of pu-erh, at least by types if I’m going by Fengqing and Menghai. But of course every pu-erh is different, so I could be wrong, especially if I’m not steeping it entirely the same way. I used an entire 10 gram sample pouch. The reddish leaves do have marine-like scent to them, and the first burgundy steep tastes a little like that, so this one may have more pu-erh characteristics than some of the other pu-erhs that Teavivre has in stock. The flavor isn’t as deep as the coffee & dark chocolate pu-erh I tried the other day. It’s a little difficult to say what this one actually does taste like. Just a standard pu-erh flavor, I guess. This is a good one, but some of the pu-erhs from Teavivre are perfect.
Steep #1 // few minutes after boiling // rinse // 1 1/2 min steep
Steep #2 // couple minutes after boiling // 3 min
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 min

Please keep things friendly and .

Thank you Angel for this sample. I enjoyed this tea. I thought it was good. I also have reason to beleive my taste buds are a little off lately. Luckily, I have enough sample left for at least one more gongfu session. This tea was slightly sweet and had a very, very slight bitterness. It also had a slight sourness, very slight. But I believe that the sourness may have been my taste buds, because all puerh tea has been tasting slightly sour to me lately. So I do not take that into consideration unless the taste reappears when I sample this again. While I did notice some complex notes in this tea I did not pin them down as specific things. There was a certain amount of fermentation flavor that disappeared by the fifth steeping, but not too much.

I brewed this 6 times in a 220ml gaiwan with boiling water and 9.6g leaf. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, and 2 min.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 7 OZ / 220 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

The dry leaf scent scared me. It smelled smokey and meaty, like bacon. And I hate bacon. So I double rinsed it, and smelled the wet leaf. Woodsy, earthy, foresty, and maybe a touch smokey. A definite improvement from the bacon dry leaf aroma.

10g, 8oz water, boiling, 2 10 sec rinses, 10,15,20,25,30 second steeps. Sweetened with stevia.

I don’t know if it’s do to the rinsing, but I definitely don’t get any smoked meat taste here, thankfully. Very earthy and forest like in flavor. Almost soupy in texture, coats the throat and lingers nice and long. Sweetening it, takes it from rustic wild forestry, to sweeter and mellower. The earthiness becomes soft and muted, and theres a sort of caramel like note laying on top. Second steep unsweetened, I can sort of taste pine, and maybe some leather added to the previous notes. Sweetening has a similar effect as the last time, but also kinds of makes the cup bland. While I liked the first steep sweetened, this steep seems to have suffered from the addition of stevia. As it cools, the flavors improve, bring it back on par to the first steep. Third steep has an almost smokey note at the end of the sip that lingers in the aftertaste pre-sweetened. Again, sweetening it hurts more than helps this pu-erh. Usually I like the sweet earthy caramelly dark complex raw cocoa types of flavor that emerge when I sweeten a ripe puerh, but this one is so rustic and earthy that sweetening does it an injustice. The problem is that while some people love those earthy, loamy, forest flavors, they don’t do it for me. So while I don’t care for it, if those are your thing, I’d definitely recommend giving this a shot.

Please keep things friendly and .

Thank you for the samples, Angel!

Brewed gongfu method with a gaiwan. 10 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 5, 5, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120.

The dry leaf smells like…fish. I tried to make out something else, but that’s all there was. Fortunately, my experience improves thereafter. The wet aroma is complex, changing as the temperature cools and the leaf is steeped more: cooked vegetables, maple syrup, brown sugar, cooked meat with honey BBQ sauce, pork in teriyaki sauce, and – near the end – chocolate.

Throughout the session, the liquor is full-bodied, smooth, thick-textured, and, as *Teavivre*’s website says, mellow and sweet. The first infusion is damp earth and leather. The second tastes more like wood, reminding me of a pine forest whose trees and ground are coated with moss. (Infusions three and four, similar). The liquor becomes more broth-like and smoother at the fifth and sixth infusions. Seven’s flavor is lighter, though still sweet, and now a bit chocolatey. The eight infusion has bitterness, but this disappears in the ninth, which resembles hot cocoa (very dark chocolate). Lastly, the 10th infusion tastes weaker and the leathery note returns.

A relaxing and thorough shou. It says, “Take it easy, bro.”

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

The Leaf: Very dark leaves compressed together with fairly light brown leaves spotted throughout. The scent is typical of a pu-erh, earthy, soil, and slightly woody. However, I detect a slight musty or moldy tone; it’s very faint, but still there.

The Brew: The liquor is a golden brown. The aroma is faint but has tones of wood and walnut. The taste is also very earthy, woody, but quite nutty as well. I get a very distinct walnut essence from this tea. The mouthfeel is nice and light with very little aftertaste, mostly nutty as well, and no dryness really.

The Spent Leaf: The spent leaf was the most interesting of this tea. Just after brewing the leaves present a very strong undeniable scent of walnuts. Walnut was the overtone, while there were undertones of wood, and earth.

I drink all of my teas cold. *my comments are from the first brewing

Flavors: Earth, Nuts, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

And another thank you to Angel and Teavivre for this sample!

I really enjoyed the last Pu-erh sample from Teavivre so I was very much looking forward to taking this one around the block. I don’t think I’ve met a Pu-erh that I haven’t liked so far.

When I opened the sample packet, a typical leathery Pu-erh smell materialized. I steeped the dark cakes and pieces at 212 degrees for eight minutes (Teavivre recommends 3 to 10 minutes for the first steeping).

The color of the brewed liquor was a dark chocolate brown. The aroma was surprisingly mild but common for Pu-erh.

The flavor of this tea was quite robust and contained the full-blown leathery Pu-erh taste attributes that I personally find delicious. The taste was smooth, consistent, and vigorous throughout the cup. Although eight minutes of steeping does give you a strong cup of tea, I did not detect any bitterness whatsoever. The aftertaste was also surprisingly mild and cordial.

This is a tasty and very fine Pu-erh selection. It has everything that I look for in my favorite teas:

savory, robust, and consistent flavor
smoothness
no astringency

Normally, if I were asked to sum up this beverage in one word, I’d say, “Bravo!” But, since this is Chinese tea, I’ll say 精彩

Flavors: Leather

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

I had quite the spider related adventure yesterday, sitting at my desk I noticed a leggy specimen scuttling up the curtain, so I snagged a jar and popped it in. Turns out I had no idea what this spider was, it had legs like a crab spider and the body of a baby fishing spider and the coloring of a fishing spider. I was stumped so I posted photos on facebook which made my mom and grandmother worried it was a brown recluse (I live in the Brown Recluse Belt apparently, yikes) and I was pretty sure it wasn’t (what with it being black and gray and not matching in other aspects) but to be sure I posted photos of it on Bug Guide, a great place to get mystery buggies and arachnids identified. They were able to ID him as the Running Crab Spider (I knew those legs looked crabby!) from the family Philodromidae. I think that my basement lair will be seeing a lot more spiders as it warms up.

Today’s tea only has one thing in common with spiders, they both are found in trees. Fengqing Arbor Tree Ripened Puerh Cake Tea 2010 is made from the leaves of arbor trees that are 50-100 years old, I find that pretty awesome. Hailing from the Puerh home of Yunnan, China, this tea was picked in 2008 and given a nice dry storage for two years. The aroma of these compressed leaves has a great blend of loam, wet pine wood, and leather. There is a sweetness about the leaves that resembles sap, specifically pine sap, and a touch of caramelized sugar. I think my favorite thing about Puerh tea is how they seem to frequently remind me of forests, this one has a forest floor quality.

Once the tea is given a double rinse (first time I have ever done that) and steeped the aroma is much sweeter with notes of caramelized sugar and molasses with warm woody quality and a finish of loam. The liquid also has a sweet quality with notes of cocoa and molasses, and finishes on a warm loam and earthy notes.

The first steeping starts off quite strong with a mix of earthiness and loam. The midtaste is like leather and a hint of pine wood. The finish is molasses like and has a sweet aftertaste. This tea has a very smooth start and is quite tasty.

The aroma of the leaves for the second steeping is sweet and loamy, there is a tiny hint of mushroom at the finish really tying in the forest floor imagery in my head. The liquid also is quite loamy but it also has notes of pine wood and leather. The taste is quite strong, rich leather and loam with a warm finish of pine sap that leaves a lingering sweetness in the mouth.

For the third steep the aroma of the leaves is all loam all the time, it is very foresty and quite nice. The liquid however is mostly pine themed, with a blend of wet pine wood and pine needles. The taste of this steep has a bit of bitterness, a bitter earthiness to be exact, but it fades to loam pretty quickly. The aftertaste is sweet and piney.

I should apologize, according to Teavivre’s website this tea can be steeped up to eleven times, but I only got to four because yours truly decided to leave the tea lair for a snack and then promptly got distracted and then fell asleep. I was going to start all over and redo the steepings today, but with my throat being so sore I worry I could not do it justice. The aroma of the leaves is much the same as the previous steeping, as is the aroma of the liquid. The taste however has much stronger pine qualites giving it a woody sweetness that is fantastic. I have become rather enamored of Puerh tea that tastes like a pine forest and strongly recommend this tea if you are a fan of all things pine. I can certainly see this tea lasting for much longer.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/teavivre-fengqing-arbor-tree-ripened.html

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Leather, Loam, Pine, Wood

Nicole

Oh, yeah. Spiders would be one sure way to keep me out of a basement lair. :)

Anna

Bug Guide are the best.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’m so excited to be the first person to review this puerh. Thank you Teavivre for the generous samples for review!

My first steep is extremely creamy and nutty, and just a little mushroomy. It is earthy but not at all dirty tasting. Very full bodied and rich!

2nd steep is woodsy and brighter…this steep is clean but still very rich.

Very nice shu! Glad I have the opportunity to drink it a couple more times :)