Nonpareil Taiwan DaYuLing High Mountain Cha Wang Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea. I am excited to try Teavivre's new Taiwanese high mountain oolongs; this one I had a gongfu session with this afternoon. The first steep was light and...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1929 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Beautifully fragrant Oolong! Sweet, floral and fruity! My first cup was sweet and creamy. Lighter than the subsequent infusions which is par for the course. Faint vegetal notes,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4359 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Teavivre for the oolong samples. Sweet, floral, fruity, vegetal are the words that come to mind on this one. Reminds me of a Tieguanyin-maybe a little sweeter. I am more of a black tea...” Read full tasting note
    djahls 163 tasting notes
  • “Tastes and smells mostly vegetal to me, with some sweet buttery notes in the background. A hint of floralness in here as well. Has a lingering sweet aftertaste that I found quite enjoyable. ...” Read full tasting note
    TheePopulist 153 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dayuling Mountain (大禹岭), Taiwan

Appearance: tight and full particles, glossy, in dark green color.

Harvest time: May 29, 2014

Taste: high and strong floral aroma; tastes sweet and smooth, refreshing and fragrant; has obvious sweet aftertaste and long-lasting flavor.

The Nonpareil Taiwan DaYuLing High Mountain Cha Wang Oolong Tea is grown in the area at the altitude of 2500 meters, in which the climate is cold and forests grow well. This cold and moisture condition is suitable for tea trees’ growth. In addition, the soil here is fertile, meanwhile performs well in drainage. Thus the tea leaves carry a natural scent of flower and fruit.

About Teavivre View company

1929 tasting notes

Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea. I am excited to try Teavivre’s new Taiwanese high mountain oolongs; this one I had a gongfu session with this afternoon.

The first steep was light and floral, slightly buttery and a hint of sugary sweetness. In the second and third steeps, more of the vegetal flavor came out, spinachy and generally leafy. Also the sweetness abated, leaving mostly floral and vegetal. As I have noticed with Taiwanese high mountain oolongs in the past, this is crisp and clean, without the really buttery and fruity notes that characterize tieguanyins. I tried each steep then dumped the remainder into one cup to drink later. It’s more floral and a touch sweeter when all are combined, but otherwise pretty similar to the individual steeps. This is a very nice example of these high mountain oolongs, nicely fresh and floral.

Also I had only one pack of this so sipdown, 137. Thanks again to Teavivre for the sample.

TeaVivre

This tea is grown in the area at the altitude of 2500 meters, in which the climate is cold and forests grow well. Thus the tea leaves carry a natural scent of flower and fruit. After brewed, the tea liquid is clean, bright and light, with high and strong floral aroma, refreshing and fragrant; has obvious sweet aftertaste and long-lasting flavor.

Backlog:

Beautifully fragrant Oolong! Sweet, floral and fruity!

My first cup was sweet and creamy. Lighter than the subsequent infusions which is par for the course. Faint vegetal notes, prominent floral notes.

My subsequent cups were much stronger in flavor. Not quite as creamy as the first cup, though. More floral notes to dance upon the palate. Notes of apple begin to emerge in later infusions.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/29/nonpareil-taiwan-dayuling-high-mountain-cha-wang-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Thanks to Teavivre for the oolong samples. Sweet, floral, fruity, vegetal are the words that come to mind on this one. Reminds me of a Tieguanyin-maybe a little sweeter. I am more of a black tea lover but enjoy an oolong once in awhile for a change. This one is pretty good, but so far my favorite Teavivre sample has been the Superfine Taiwan Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong. Still have a few more to go though.

Tastes and smells mostly vegetal to me, with some sweet buttery notes in the background. A hint of floralness in here as well. Has a lingering sweet aftertaste that I found quite enjoyable. Great tea, I wish it was a little less pricey though.

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

I’ve been wanting to try the sample for quite some time now. Unfortunately I caught a cold and it impaired my tastebuds and I really couldn’t taste anything. :(
With that out of the way, I’m ready to jump back into my daily gong fu tea sessions. Anyway, onto the tasting notes:

The first steep had a really nice balance of vegetal, sweet, and buttery characteristics. It’s really smooth and nothing seemed bitter of off-putting.

Some nice spice/cinnamon came out during the third steep.

Onward down to the eighth steeps, it maintained a nice flavour that was true to the initial steep’s aroma. It finishes off somewhat weak, but not so much that I only taste the water and not the tea.

Overall I’m impressed with how well it steeped, the balance between the flavours, and that I couldn’t taste any bitterness or off-putting flavours. It never seemed too dry or overpowering either. The price is a bit steep, so I could see it as a nice gift. I think the flavours justify trying it out if you have a discerning palate for quality.

Steep parameters (as suggested by Teavivre)
85ml water in a gaiwan, sample (7g?), rinse and 8 steeps (30s, 50s, 70s, 90s, 120s, 120s, 150s, 180s)

195 °F / 90 °C

Light Oolong that is yellow with a hint of green in color and has a floral and steamed veggie aroma. This tea is light with a floral flavor mixed with a sweet edamame taste.

205 °F / 96 °C

Backlog.

Lately it’s been too hot for tea, especially the black tea which seems to have finally completed it’s aggressive conquest of my shelf space. Under an Everest of unopened black and puerh samples I found this stranded oolong- originally a smuggled sample from Amariel’s giant Teavivre swap bag (you gave me so much tea, Amariel!).

I’m glad I decided on this one; the minty floral profile is a refreshing thing in a house with no air conditioning. The first steep of the first serving had an interesting curry leaf aroma (I have witnesses that can vouch that this cup smelled distinctly of that plant), but this quality never resurfaced on the subsequent steeps. Probably for the best; mint and flowers are good enough.

Flavors: Floral, Mint

I’m sad cause this is the last tea of the free sample pack I received from the generous Angel at Teavivre…thank you! It’s been a wonderful experience.

Oh, I think I just died and went to Tea Heaven on a Wednesday night!

(This happens every time I drink Da Yu Ling oolong it seems…)

I mentioned it before, Da Yu Ling is my favourite high mountain oolong. I keep two other brands in my cupboard, and was very curious to try Teavivre’s.

It doesn’t disappoint.

The nuggets are lustrous and super green, very tightly rolled. They smell like wintergreen!

The taste is light and “fluffy”, buttery and creamy like any typical green high altitude oolong, but it has that little extra je ne sais quoi, a certain spiciness that could be similar to nutmeg with a fresh spearmint finish. Yum!

I do prefer the ones I usually buy, but this was very enjoyable.

It’s an expensive tea and I’m so glad I got to try it for free.

Thanks again Teavivre for the opportunity.

7 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Kirkoneill1988

awesome! :)

Let it be said, I have the best mom ever. Yesterday I found out that Enjoying Tea is having a sale on some of their Yixing pots, and I mean a massive sale. I really wanted the lovely Purple Clay Bamboo teapot (it has a similar theme to my current Oolong Yixing) but had absolutely zilch when it came to money. So she totally surprised me and bought it for me, of course the hard part will be deciding what to season it with while waiting for it to arrive. Roasted Oolong, Fujian Blacks, Sheng Pu Erh, Shou Pu Erh? So many decisions, any suggestions?

Today is another offering from Teavivre: Nonpareil Taiwan DaYuLing High Mountain Cha Wang Oolong Tea, and what a mouthful that name is! Let’s break it down, shall we? Nonpareil is French for without equal (or it is those amusing sprinkles used in baking, but that is another meaning) Da Yu Ling Mountain is mountainous region in Taiwan, and High Mountain refers to the impressive height the tea is grown at. A whopping 2,500 meters above sea level, the highest of the High Mountain teas, nestled in the cold clouds. I believe that Cha Wang means Tea King, and since I have seed Da Yu Ling Oolong referred to as the King of Teas, that makes sense. The aroma is, well, it is a Da Yu Ling, the aroma is spectacular. It is very rich, blending heady orchids and honeysuckle nectar with roasted chestnut and a hint of spinach. At the finish there is a slight sweet bread quality, specifically fresh yeasty bread drizzled with honey.

After I finally manage to pull my nose away from the dried leaves and give the tea its much desired bath time in the gaiwan, the aroma hits my face and I drift off into a happy place. Oolongs just have that affect on me, their aroma is hypnotic, especially High Mountain Oolongs. The wet leaves are sweet, blending honeysuckle nectar and orchids, with a hint of spinach and chestnuts. Very similar to the dry leaves but without the yeasty quality and mostly heady floral. The poured off liquid is very sweet, primarily the aroma of honeysuckle with a hint of orchid and mineral water.

Strap yourself in (if your desk chair has that function, mine sadly does not) because the Teavivre website recommended eight steeps with the gaiwan, and you can bet I put this tea through its leafy paces. Oh that velvety mouthfeel, it just fills up the mouth. The taste is faintly sweet and floral with a mild vegetal midtaste and a faint mineral aftertaste. The first steep is very much so a prelude of greatness to come.

The aroma of the next steep is very heady, mostly honeysuckle and orchid, with hints of vegetal and chestnut. The mouthfeel is more buttery than velvety this time around. The taste starts more vegetal and then pretty quickly fades to honeysuckle sweetness with a mineral aftertaste.

Round three, the aroma is much sweeter and with stronger notes of honeysuckle. As with the previous steep the mouthfeel is still quite buttery and smooth. Also in common with steep two it starts with vegetal (I would venture a blend of spinach) with chestnut notes and fades to honeysuckle sweetness that stays until the aftertaste.

The fourth steep’s aroma is very sweet, pretty much entirely honeysuckle nectar and a hint of orchids. The taste is sweet and creamy all the way through, fading from honeysuckle nectar to sugar cane juice with a finish of chestnut. This steep seems to be the most intense so far, it is quite incredible and worth savoring.

The fifth steep’s time to shine, the leaves have thoroughly unfurled and cause the lid of my gaiwan to rest on a nest of leaves, it is quite pretty. The aroma is pretty much identical to the previous steep. The taste is also very similar but with more of a cane sugar sweetness than floral sweetness. The finish has a hint of fresh plum juice that is just delicious. This one rivals the fourth steep for favorite

Steep number six’s aroma has a surprise for me, it is still very sweet and floral but instead of being mostly honeysuckle and orchid there is also a bit of gardenia, it is such a heady blend. The taste starts off sweet and floral and mostly stays that way until the end where mineral finishes it off. Even though the end is mineral the aftertaste is floral.

The seventh steep’s aroma is faintly floral and sweet, a ghost of its previous glory with orchid and gardenia. The taste starts off delicately sweet and floral and fades to mineral which stays for the aftertaste. The previous buttery mouthfeel is much subdued as well, it is still soft but not as smooth. The tea is certainly on its last legs.

Time for the finish, like any good symphony, it ends gracefully. In fact, I think I will compare this steeping experience to Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony (first movement), because the colors of the music match the colors of the taste. Synesthesia is hard to explain sometimes. The aroma is faint, the whisper of flowers carried in on a breeze. The taste is gently sweet with just a hint of a smooth mouthfeel and a very delicate floral finish. I am not sure if I can say this Da Yu Ling is now my favorite Da Yu Ling, it is certainly a contender! Clearly I need a side by side battle between the two, but regardless the experience was heavenly and I certainly recommend giving it a try if you can!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/04/teavivre-nonpareil-taiwan-dayuling-high.html