Nonpareil Taiwan DaYuLing High Mountain Cha Wang Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea. I am excited to try Teavivre's new Taiwanese high mountain oolongs; this one I had a gongfu session with this afternoon. The first steep was light and...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2031 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Beautifully fragrant Oolong! Sweet, floral and fruity! My first cup was sweet and creamy. Lighter than the subsequent infusions which is par for the course. Faint vegetal notes,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Teavivre for the oolong samples. Sweet, floral, fruity, vegetal are the words that come to mind on this one. Reminds me of a Tieguanyin-maybe a little sweeter. I am more of a black tea...” Read full tasting note
    djahls 166 tasting notes
  • “Tastes and smells mostly vegetal to me, with some sweet buttery notes in the background. A hint of floralness in here as well. Has a lingering sweet aftertaste that I found quite enjoyable. ...” Read full tasting note
    TheePopulist 153 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dayuling Mountain (大禹岭), Taiwan

Appearance: tight and full particles, glossy, in dark green color.

Harvest time: Oct 8, 2014

Taste: high and strong floral aroma; tastes sweet and smooth, refreshing and fragrant; has obvious sweet aftertaste and long-lasting flavor.

The Nonpareil Taiwan DaYuLing High Mountain Cha Wang Oolong Tea is grown in the area at the altitude of 2500 meters, in which the climate is cold and forests grow well. This cold and moisture condition is suitable for tea trees’ growth. In addition, the soil here is fertile, meanwhile performs well in drainage. Thus the tea leaves carry a natural scent of flower and fruit.

About Teavivre View company

2031 tasting notes

Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea. I am excited to try Teavivre’s new Taiwanese high mountain oolongs; this one I had a gongfu session with this afternoon.

The first steep was light and floral, slightly buttery and a hint of sugary sweetness. In the second and third steeps, more of the vegetal flavor came out, spinachy and generally leafy. Also the sweetness abated, leaving mostly floral and vegetal. As I have noticed with Taiwanese high mountain oolongs in the past, this is crisp and clean, without the really buttery and fruity notes that characterize tieguanyins. I tried each steep then dumped the remainder into one cup to drink later. It’s more floral and a touch sweeter when all are combined, but otherwise pretty similar to the individual steeps. This is a very nice example of these high mountain oolongs, nicely fresh and floral.

Also I had only one pack of this so sipdown, 137. Thanks again to Teavivre for the sample.

TeaVivre

This tea is grown in the area at the altitude of 2500 meters, in which the climate is cold and forests grow well. Thus the tea leaves carry a natural scent of flower and fruit. After brewed, the tea liquid is clean, bright and light, with high and strong floral aroma, refreshing and fragrant; has obvious sweet aftertaste and long-lasting flavor.

Backlog:

Beautifully fragrant Oolong! Sweet, floral and fruity!

My first cup was sweet and creamy. Lighter than the subsequent infusions which is par for the course. Faint vegetal notes, prominent floral notes.

My subsequent cups were much stronger in flavor. Not quite as creamy as the first cup, though. More floral notes to dance upon the palate. Notes of apple begin to emerge in later infusions.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/29/nonpareil-taiwan-dayuling-high-mountain-cha-wang-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Thanks to Teavivre for the oolong samples. Sweet, floral, fruity, vegetal are the words that come to mind on this one. Reminds me of a Tieguanyin-maybe a little sweeter. I am more of a black tea lover but enjoy an oolong once in awhile for a change. This one is pretty good, but so far my favorite Teavivre sample has been the Superfine Taiwan Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding Oolong. Still have a few more to go though.

Tastes and smells mostly vegetal to me, with some sweet buttery notes in the background. A hint of floralness in here as well. Has a lingering sweet aftertaste that I found quite enjoyable. Great tea, I wish it was a little less pricey though.

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

I’ve been wanting to try the sample for quite some time now. Unfortunately I caught a cold and it impaired my tastebuds and I really couldn’t taste anything. :(
With that out of the way, I’m ready to jump back into my daily gong fu tea sessions. Anyway, onto the tasting notes:

The first steep had a really nice balance of vegetal, sweet, and buttery characteristics. It’s really smooth and nothing seemed bitter of off-putting.

Some nice spice/cinnamon came out during the third steep.

Onward down to the eighth steeps, it maintained a nice flavour that was true to the initial steep’s aroma. It finishes off somewhat weak, but not so much that I only taste the water and not the tea.

Overall I’m impressed with how well it steeped, the balance between the flavours, and that I couldn’t taste any bitterness or off-putting flavours. It never seemed too dry or overpowering either. The price is a bit steep, so I could see it as a nice gift. I think the flavours justify trying it out if you have a discerning palate for quality.

Steep parameters (as suggested by Teavivre)
85ml water in a gaiwan, sample (7g?), rinse and 8 steeps (30s, 50s, 70s, 90s, 120s, 120s, 150s, 180s)

195 °F / 90 °C

Light Oolong that is yellow with a hint of green in color and has a floral and steamed veggie aroma. This tea is light with a floral flavor mixed with a sweet edamame taste.

205 °F / 96 °C

Thank you Angel for these samples!

I absolutely positively LOVE oolong teas. I cannot say that enough. This one is great! It is a green oolong. I love how it is all balled up then unravels as it is steeped. It is fragrant and floral and green. I love it. It steeps to a nice pale yellow. The flavor is light and floral. There is just the right amount of natural sweetness to it and there is no astringency that I can detect. Delicious!! This can be steeped several times.

Ost

What is your favorite type of oolong? I love floral ones-if you have any recommendations, hit me up (:

This tea starts out with a heavenly delicate floral scent, especially if you dump into a preheated gaiwan & let the leaf warm up. I went with a series of short steeps, which started out a comforting creamy vanilla pudding with a gentle floral overlay, & gradually became rice crispies (the flavor, not crunchy).

This is a lovely soothing oolong. Thank you to Angel & Teavivre for the generous sample.

Cheri

sounds delicious!

Thank you, Angel, for the samples and including me in the oolong flight!

Brewed with the gongfu method in a gaiwan. Followed the website’s instructions. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 30, 30, 50, 70, 90, 120, 150, 180.

The session begins with a seaweed-y and sweet dry aroma, followed by a buttery wet aroma with a note of sugar snap peas. Wonderfully flagrant – one of the pleasures this tea offers. And the leaf itself is another. It has such a beautiful shade of green, and the leaves appear so lively as they float in the gaiwan.

The liquor is light greenish gold in color, clear and clean, and full-bodied yet light, like water from a small pristine pond. Though the flavors are not fully developed, the first infusion offers a creamy texture and a buttery sweetness reminiscent of kukicha.

The creaminess disappears in the infusions thereafter, though the smoothness doesn’t. The second infusion is very sweet with a creamed spinach aftertaste. Three, four, and five have a stronger floral note. Five in particular tastes of spring flowers that entice bees excited for fresh nectar after a long winter. Additionally, the texture is thicker, and the buttery note returns. I am reminded of shincha.

The sixth and seventh infusions have fewer flowers and more sweet candies. Ending the session, the eighth is the fruitiest and juiciest, with an aftertaste of strawberries, blueberries, and bananas.

This is only my second Da Yu Ling. A good one to end this oolong flight!

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Dry leaves smell lovely. Floral, creamy, and green.

First impression is very floral. I unfortunately scalded my tongue so now I need to wait awhile until I can taste this.

After it cooled a bit, this tea is very much like other high mountain oolongs I’ve tried. Long lasting floral aftertaste, going down green and creamy. It also resteeped really well.

Thank you Angel for this tasty sample!

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML