Ripened Cube Tuocha Pu-erh Mini Brick 2006

Pu-erh Tea
Sweet, Clay, Mint, Molasses, Orchid
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 7 g 11 oz / 339 ml

• “A sample from Angel at Teavivre. I feel like I’ve said this a fair bit recently, but Pu’Erh is a variety of tea that’s very new to me, and which I’m still...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1230 tasting notes
  • “I enjoyed this a lot. It was earthy without tasting rotten or weird like some puerhs can. I found it to be moderately sweet, getting sweeter with later infusions. I infused it for probably ten...” Read full tasting note
    Zimaleah501 557 tasting notes
  • “Picked this this morning because I wanted a new puerh but didn’t want to go to the trouble of breaking a cake. This is very tasty and sweet. I am not sure just how sweet because I added sugar...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 669 tasting notes
  • “Got back really late last night from a quick work trip to Arizona and found my BF/CB teas had arrived! It was a nice sight to see after a flight that was delayed three hours. Ugh! Anyway, still not...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 787 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Yunnan, China

Ingredients: made of ripened pu-erh leaves

Harvest time: April 10, 2006

Taste: soft and mellow

This Ripened Cube Tuocha Pu-erh Mini Brick 2006 is the type of aged pu-erh, made of ripened pu-erh leaves. It is fully fermented which makes the tea taste rich, mellow and earthy. The fermentation also make the Ripened Cube Tuocha can be stored permanently. And the longer it is stored properly, the richer and mellower the flavor will become, much like a fine wine.

About Teavivre View company

A sample from Angel at Teavivre. I feel like I’ve said this a fair bit recently, but Pu’Erh is a variety of tea that’s very new to me, and which I’m still learning about. I’ve tried a good few different ones now, and some common characteristics have emerged – probably enough to know that it’ll never be my favourite type of tea, but by no means enough for me to rule it out completely. Some Pu’Erhs I’ve loved, some I’ve hated. In any case, the adventure continues!

This is the latest installment. I used one tuocha, discarded the first steep as a rinse, and then gave it approximately 3 minutes in fresh boiling water. 3 minutes sits right in the middle of the recommended parameters, so I figured it was a fair place to start. The scent is of earth with a slight hint of manure, and the resulting liquor is very dark brown (almost black), and I feared for a moment that the flavour would be far too intense for my tastes. Not so, apparently. This Pu’Erh is actually fairly mellow, with an initial soil-like earthiness (I’m thinking wet soil after a heavy rain shower), which intensifies a little towards the end of the sip and then fades away. A mild orchid note emerges in the aftertaste, lending this tea a fresh and fragrant profile. It just goes to show that a strong-looking dark liquor doesn’t necessarily equate to overpowering flavour, which was a useful lesson for me when it comes to Pu’Erh. Another small piece of my Pu’Erh fear has been dispelled! The thing I like most about this is its almost soft-tasting smoothness. It’s so silky and easy to drink – a real pleasure.

Second steep, again for 3 minutes in boiling water. The liquor is, again, a very dark (almost black) brown. While brewing, it took on a brothier scent (almost reminiscent of beef oxo, although obviously nowhere near as strong!) The underlying earth/manure scent is still present. The taste is much the same, although marginally milder – wet earth, a light orchid floral, but this time with a hint of nuttiness and a fleeting flash of caramel. The second steep is as smooth as the first, but with an even creamier mouthfeel. It’s absolutely delicious, and it’s not often you’ll hear me say that about a Pu’Erh!

Third steep, again for 3 minutes in boiling water. The liquor is a dark golden-ish brown this time, so noticeably paler than previous steeps.The scent while brewing is less pungent now as well – hardly there at all, in fact. The taste is very mellow, with hardly any earth/manure notes to be found. There’s a lot more orchid-like floral in the mid-sip, and an almost camphor like coolness in the aftertaste that I can feel at the back of my throat. An interesting progression from steeps one and two.

Fourth steep, again for 3 minutes in boiling water. The liquor is paler still at this stage, now a medium orange-brown. The scent is about level with the previous steep, barely there but still mildly earthy with a hint of manure. The taste is broadly similar to steep 3, although with stronger cooling notes. I’m thinking peppermint rather than camphor now, although very mild. The orchid note is still there in the aftertaste, although it’s fainter and less noticable overall.

Fifth steep, this time for 4 minutes in boiling water. The liquor is again noticeably paler – a medium red-orange with only mild notes of earth and no manure! The taste this time is really barely there. There’s still a coolness, although even that is less intense than previous steeps. The earth, manure and floral notes are all but gone as well, although there’s a mild nuttiness that sets this apart from just warm water. I’m impressed at how smooth this one has remained throughout all of my steeps, including this one. There’s absolutely no bitterness or astringency, even though the leaves have been dunked in boiling water for a combined total of 16 minutes.

I imagine this one could probably go on a bit longer, although I suspect it’d need much longer steeps to really eek out any flavour. This one tuocha has lasted me all day, though, so I’m happy to leave it here for now. There comes a point in the day when I really just want to drink something different, anyway! I’m impressed with this one, though. It’s a great quality tea, and the resteeps make it excellent value. There are very few Pu’Erhs that I can say outright that I enjoyed drinking, but this is one of them! Another excellent offering from Teavivre.

I enjoyed this a lot. It was earthy without tasting rotten or weird like some puerhs can. I found it to be moderately sweet, getting sweeter with later infusions. I infused it for probably ten seconds, then the next couple fifteen, and the couple after that closer to twenty or thirty seconds. The flavors were all similar, they just took turns being center stage. It could have gone much longer, but I really tire of drinking the same tea all day sometimes. It does make dog sitting a little bit easier if I am going to be here all day, as I only needed to bring this one sample packet with me. Of course I brought three full sized tins as options and had ten samples here a few days ago. Because flavor ADD.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Picked this this morning because I wanted a new puerh but didn’t want to go to the trouble of breaking a cake. This is very tasty and sweet. I am not sure just how sweet because I added sugar so it is very sweet. I’m afraid I am not getting the specific notes in the steepster write up but it is good.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 7.1g leaf and boiling water for 30 sec.

Flavors: Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 18 OZ / 532 ML
Stephanie

Been curious about this one!

AllanK

This tea was really good, on par with a good cake or loose puerh, not the low quality mini tuocha are supposed to be. It had only moderate fermentation flavor.

Got back really late last night from a quick work trip to Arizona and found my BF/CB teas had arrived! It was a nice sight to see after a flight that was delayed three hours. Ugh! Anyway, still not sure where I’m going to put everything, as my cupboard is exploding now!

I have a bit if a scratchy throat, so didn’t want to try anything too complex, this Shou really hit the spot. These little cubes are convenient and are very clean and smooth-tasting. The tea page mentions a clay taste, and I think I get that in most ripe puerhs. It was evident here, but the flavor was nice and uncomplicated, and sweetened upon further steeps. It steeps out fairly quickly. Overall, it’s a great everyday Shou.

I was going to try and make this one in a gaiwan but I got a last minute notice that prevented me from that and instead I did a single long steep in a 250ml teapot. What’s interesting with this ‘mini’ type of pressed Pu Erh is that it’s really convenient for trips and I use that advantage to the fullest. The disadvantage with this type of Pu Erh is that the leaf is coarsly broken (I’ve seen the fragments from few millimeters to an centimeter or two) which in return results in less steeps and sometimes more bitter taste than the usual pressed ripe Pu Erh.

A good part of these ‘mini’ Pu Erhs are pressed really hard and it takes some time for the leaf to expand and release its active components, but this particular one did it in a minute or so. I wanted to strain it to the cup at that moment but I really didn’t have time to steep the leaves again since I was in a hurry. After five minutes of steeping I got a deep black infusion with brown-red rim and a wet clay-like note at the top mixed with molasses. The first sip revealed a full body with a freshness and element of clay. The finish is more complex with notes of orchid and molasses. As the liquor cools down the elements are getting harmonized and there’s a certain smooth and oily feel in the mouth and lips (actual oil from the leaf, I guess). At this point the aftertaste gets a minty element to it as well. What’s really nice about this tea that it doesn’t develop bitterness or briskness that’s present in some of the ‘mini’ types of Pu Erh.

All in all, very nice and balanced tea for its ‘kind’, the only potential turn away is that it has a certain clay accent that some people don’t like.

Flavors: Clay, Mint, Molasses, Orchid