Fengqing Old Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake Tea 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Apricot, Bok Choy, Dates, Menthol, Tobacco, Honeysuckle, Plums, Stonefruits, Winter Honey, Black Pepper, Hay, Orchid, Raisins, Rum, Spices, Astringent, Fruity, Melon, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I’m pretty sure this just cured whatever ailment I may have had! I havent had a sheng session in quite some time, so I decided I should sit down and go for it. This was waaayy better than I...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 180 tasting notes
  • “This was yet another generous free sample from Teavivre. I’ve spent the day drinking this and really enjoying it. Upon opening the packet I was hit by a waft of hay and...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 260 tasting notes
  • “Fruity and sweet with a hint of smoke and green pepper. Quietly gentle, and very delicious! Rinsed twice, and then drank with many steeps 10-20 sec. Made a lot of tea! Thank you Angel and...” Read full tasting note
    caile 228 tasting notes
  • “It’s been a long time since I have sipped sheng. I have almost forgotten how enjoyable tea it is. Steeped in a Yixing pot of course. So, this is my third (or fourth) Fengqing raw puerh I have...” Read full tasting note
    Riimu 49 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 300 to 800 years Tea Trees

Harvest time: April 10 – 28, 2013

Taste: powerful, typical raw pu-erh’s strong flavor; quick sweet aftertaste, aromatic and lively.

The Old Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake is made of the leaves from old tea trees in Fengqing, which are mostly 300 to 800 years old. Old tree refers to the tea trees have been lived for very long time, just like ancient trees. The old trees for this pu-erh cake were planted long time ago, and are still producing fresh leaves for making. Our Old Tree Raw Pu-erh is made of leaves from these trees. The Old Tree Pu-erh tea leaves were processed into raw materials during April 10 to 28, 2013, right after the leaves were harvested from the tea trees. This cake is finely made, has rich taste, strong with nice aroma. The sweet and mellow aftertaste will capture your tongue.

About Teavivre View company

I’m pretty sure this just cured whatever ailment I may have had! I havent had a sheng session in quite some time, so I decided I should sit down and go for it. This was waaayy better than I last remember it. The flavors were definitely more prominent than before.

I opened the package and revealed an array of colors. The dry leaves ranged from a forest dull green to silver and gold tips. They carried the aroma of sweet pipe tobacco. I brewed this in my yixing pot. I washed them once and then flash steeped the rest of the session. This tea packs a punch! It has a powerful body encompassing qi and has an incredibly menthol bitter taste. This tight sensation did not dissipate for quite some time. I went well into steeping before the smoother flavors appeared. These flavors were of crystallized sugar and sweet stone fruit.The best thing about this brew is the after taste. These small twigs leave a succulent honeysuckle and plum taste in the back of your throat that you can taste long after drinking. These leaves had a greater expansion than last time; they nearly burst out of my pot! I love Teavivre shengs and this is just what my body needed. A powerful brew with an assortment of flavors and expansive depth to explore. I’m very happy to be feeling like myself again!

Flavors: Honeysuckle, Plums, Stonefruits, Tobacco, Winter Honey

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
mrmopar

Yay! Feeling better is good!

Haveteawilltravel

May the power of Tea compel you! hahah xD

This was yet another generous free sample from Teavivre.

I’ve spent the day drinking this and really enjoying it. Upon opening the packet I was hit by a waft of hay and spice. The dry leaf looked to be in large pieces if not whole leaves. Upon steeping the leaves turned green and it became clear that my initial impression was correct. The liquor was a light amber colour and gave off a floral aroma, like orchids. The taste was light and yet full, being peppery with fruity rum and raisin notes. I got little in the way of astringency, except when the cats distracted me by demanding attention and I steeped it for a tad too long. Even that was pleasant and left a peppery aftertaste on the tongue. It has lasted me all day, amounting to about twelve steeps, so the tea has pretty good legs. Overall, this is a good tea that I would be happy to drink more of. Good job I have a second sample pack, eh? I might try the next packet at a higher temperature and with a longer steeping time to see how that fares, given that Teavivre recommends 100 degrees C and a steep time of 5 to 10 minutes. Yes, 5 to 10 minutes! That seems like an awfully long time when I am in the habit of brewing shengs for 10-15 seconds at a time.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Hay, Orchid, Raisins, Rum, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Red Fennekin

Mmm, this one sounds really good! One for the wishlist.

Fjellrev

Wow, you actually make me want to retry pu-erh again.

Kirkoneill1988

i think i’ve tried this tea before. some teas i can steep for over 5 minutes like this one :) http://steepster.com/teas/yunnan-sourcing/48693-2006-nan-jian-phoenix-ripe-pu-erh-tea-mini-brick

others become extremely bitter :(

Roughage

Indeed, some teas are more tolerant of excessive steeping. I tried this one with a five and ten minute steep. It turned out to be quite drinkable when I did this, with no bitterness. However, and it is a big HOWEVER, it really lacked the character of the gong fu brewing, and few of the notes I got from cooler brewing were present when I drank it.

Kirkoneill1988

some teas can be steeped long and not be bitter but gets bitter when cooled down

Roughage

I found this tea had more character when brewed at 85-90 degrees C. When brewed at a higher temperature it seemed to have less going for it. I usually brew young shengs cooler anyway because they can be quite bitter at higher temperatures.

Rinsed twice, and then drank with many steeps 10-20 sec. Made a lot of tea!

Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

So, this is my third (or fourth) Fengqing raw puerh I have been tasting and this differs from those other ones and also other younger shengs I have tasted.
I used 4-6g of tea instead of 10g since it seems so much tea won’t fit into my teapot. Anyway dry leaves are quite big, some of them have yellow hair, dark brown to almost black color and the best thing is, they are all whole! I don’t see any leaf particles around like some of those cheaper cakes have. (It has some stems) Dry tea smells smooth with sweetness and bit like raisins.
Liquid has pale yellow to yellow coloring and has mild, but sweet aroma. Quite like oolongs or green tea. Don’t stick to ‘mild’ word, I may have used too few leaves next time I will use more. Leaves have turned into dark green/green and continue to ‘lose color’. At the end leaves were yellowish green in color, typical sheng. Wet leaves have sweet, mellow, fruity aroma.
In the taste I can detect some fruits, grapes maybe, and woodiness. first steeps had a bit astringency but not too much. Very pleasant sweet and grapy aftertaste that lingers long on the tongue. I really liked that this hadn’t any smokiness or similar aromas. I managed to get 12 steepings, last one was 1min 30sec. I believe this will taste really good when aged by couple of years, acquiring stronger taste. I can recommend to try this young sheng puerh, for beginners and puerh veterans.

Flavors: Astringent, Fruity, Melon, Raisins, Sweet, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

I really like this sheng. It was my first sheng, and really, the first puerh I enjoyed. I feel like it’s really accessible. I don’t detect any bitterness, and the flavor transforms from the smooth tobacco-like smokiness to a very sweet fruitiness. So good! I would definitely consider picking up some more of this one.

ashmanra

This one made me fizzy with energy! LOL!

Tealizzy

It did that to me the first time, but not as much today!

Method: 6 g, 6 oz, 200 degrees, rinse-15-15, sheng yixing

Aroma: Smells like a grapey cave!

Flavor: lightly grape and also savory. It starts to get really good around the 3rd steep. This has a bit of astringency to pucker the mouth, but it’s nice!!!

Thanks to Angel for the sample! It’s lovely!!!

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Veronica

Love your description of the aroma!

Cameron B.

I want to live in a grapey cave… :D

Sarsonator

Lol… Mmmmm grape caves!!!!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

yummmmm grapey cave sound awesome

Sarsonator

You’re all invited!

Lariel of Lórien

I want to visit a grape cave.

1979 tasting notes

I had this tea twice yesterday so I will include both reviews in this one note, as they were made differently and I had a different companion each time.

My first cupping was Sunday morning. I had a gong fu session with my dog, Sam, and a wheel of Camembert. It was my first time having Camembert, and when I first opened the package I kept looking for the broccoli in the garbage can, wondering who had cooked broccoli without me knowing about it, and noting how remarkably clean the can was and oh my goodness was that smell coming from the cheese???? Yes, yes, it was. It smelled like Panera’s broccoli soup and since I love broccoli soup I figured I would like the cheese. I did. Sam did.

Hubby stumbled in about thirty minutes later, all stuffed up. As far as I know it was his first time having a sheng puerh. It was also his first having Camembert, but he loved it.

The tea was quite yellow, a really lovely color, and we made about a liter all told. It really could have gone longer but we couldn’t drink anymore and hubby had to leave. We were drinking from Teavivre’s double walled glass cups. I love them! A friend saw them and handed me money and said, “Get some for me!” Next I want to get the bat cups!

It paired nicely with the food. My first steep was short and the golden liquid was smooth, lively, and had nice woodsy flavor. The second steep was left a bit longer and was brisk, but pleasantly so, and was perhaps a better steeping time considering how strongly flavored our cheese was.

The second time I had this tea was with my bestie who came over for tea and cookies. This time it was prepared western style, using a 22 ounce Beehouse pot. We made two steeps. Again, the liquor was golden-amber. I am pretty sure it was my friend’s first sheng, although she has had a lot of shu and loves it. We were having this time instead of savory but the tea was quite good paired with cookies. There was not a terribly noticeable difference between the first and second steeps. I saved the leaves and will most likely be making a third lot western style later today.

Thank you, Teavivre, for the opportunity to try this tea!

TheTeaFairy

I have Gongfu sessions with my dog as well :-) Sometimes the tea smells so good, I see his nostrils going like a radar!

ashmanra

LOL! Sam was very intense about the cheese but he really freaks out when I offer him tea. I don’t know why. (I fostered his family from the time he was one day old.) His sister got to some of my shu puerh when she was about nine weeks old and just lapped it up!

TheTeaFairy

Aww, puppies and tea, adorable!!!

ashmanra

TeaFairy: does your dog drink the tea or watch?

carol who

Not only does your significant other like your tea and cheese, your hubby does, too. ;-) Lucky girl!

ashmanra

Oh, Carol Who, that is too funny! Last weekend I was looking in an antique shop that has a section for spoiled dogs and the lady asked me in front of my husband who I liked snuggling with more, him or the dog. My husband said, “No contest, definitely the dog!” (I can force him to cuddle!)

Hubby used to drink only cheap black tea with tons of sugar and milk, but joyful, joyful, now loves green, white, and oolong tea sans additions and doesn’t even touch black tea anymore except iced!

looseTman

Teavivre’s double walled glass cups +1
“… smooth, lively, and had nice woodsy flavor.” – Sounds good!
Raw Pu-erh Western style? I only read about pu-erh Gongfu-style.

TheTeaFairy

Ashmanra, yes he does drink it, pu’erh being his favourite it seems…probably due the smell!

TheTeaFairy

An antique shop with a spoiled dogs section, awesome :-)

ashmanra

LooseTman: we frequently go western for puerh! Bonnie taught me one of my favorite summertime ways to drink it. Make one western style pot hot to drink, save the leaves and put them in cold water in the fridge for a day or two, and drink cold. Delicious and ultra-refreshing! I have only done this with shu thus far, but might give it a try with sheng.

The Leaf: Very long and mostly unbroken with some stems present. The scent is light but is reminiscent of a green tea or oolong more so than a pu-erh. Almost a light fluffy texture to the pile, with no compression marks visible.

The Brew: The color is unlike pu-erh showing a fairly light brownish green hue much like a highly roasted green tea or oolong. The aroma is nice and apparent with a slight sweetness; woody and roasted tones mixed with dry grass. The flavor is overly bitter, making it difficult to distinguish any of the other characteristics. However, I can taste roasted straw, slight smokiness, and bitter melon.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Note: This was the first time dealing with this type of pu-erh. When I opened the package, I was very surprised as to how the leaves looked. Considering this, I decided to brew the tea according to the package instructions, 100C for 5 to 10 minutes. I feel this was too long, and resulted in the overly bitter flavor. For a better brew I think 2 minutes would suffice.

Flavors: Wood

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Light amber in color with a a very inviting aroma. This tea is slightly sweet with a soft wood flavor and a hint of plum flavor. It is similar to Teavivre’s Fengqing Ancient Tree Spring Chun Jian Raw Pu-erh 2012, but I like the 2012 much more than this tea.

Flavors: Plums, Wood