Fengqing Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Grass, Green, Hay, Smoke, Tobacco, Dried Fruit, Eucalyptus, Menthol, Mineral, Mushrooms, Pepper
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “A huge thanks to *Angel* at *Teavivre* for this free sample! Sorry it has taken me so long to get to reviewing it - the weather got cold and I haven't been in the mood for sheng lately with the...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 944 tasting notes
  • “I started drinking this yesterday afternoon. It started of with a rich creamy texture, developing into a fruity taste, at least to me. I did a rinse today to freshen the leaves & then drank several...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3008 tasting notes
  • “Another hearty thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this sample! When it comes to Pu-erh tea, people in my realm seem to be divided into two main camps: those who love it and those who (to put it...” Read full tasting note
    Stoo 161 tasting notes
  • “~Tea provided by Teavivre for review~ Dry leaf in the package smells sweet, like chocolate (didn't expect that!) First steep had a rush of flavours that I did not anticipate. It was a bold, heavy...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 318 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan

Ingredients: wild tree leaf; one bud with two leaves.

Harvest time: March to May, 2013

Taste: newly made tea with strong and powerful taste; can have better flavor after one year’s storage.

This raw pu-erh cake is grown and produced in Fengqing, Yunnan, which is the origin place of DianHong black tea. This Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Cake is harvest in spring of 2013. Between March to May, after harvesting the fresh leaves, tea workers will process them: fixation, rolling, drying, sifting, and then store the leaves in carton boxes.

About Teavivre View company

A huge thanks to Angel at Teavivre for this free sample! Sorry it has taken me so long to get to reviewing it – the weather got cold and I haven’t been in the mood for sheng lately with the weather, but today is warm and sunny, and I was reading sheng is good for allergies on a review somewhere so I will give it a shot, as mine are bad right now (well, lungs anyways).

Anyways, onto the tea review! The dry smell of the pieces of the cake (nice large ones I might add, perfect for a few brews) smells strongly of hay with some honey and crystallized sugar notes. I am going to try this first cup for 3 mins with boiling water, no rinse. As it steeps the cake piece breaks apart into lovely leaves.

Hmmm, the steeped smell to me is quite weird lol, almost a tobacco note in there! Strong almost grassy tones, and yes, that is definitely a tobacco note, at least to my messed up nose from allergies it is lol. I have never got that in a pu’erh before! We will see how it tastes!

Ah, the taste is much more pleasing :) very grassy, a strong green note, some green hay, and a tiny bit of honey. Also there is a smoky flavor kicking around in there too, maybe that’s where the tobacco smell was coming from. The flavors kind of go together but I am also finding it a bit tough to wrap my head around a green yet slightly smoky flavor. It actually reminds me of the days back in high school when I worked at a greenhouse/vegetable garden, on the days it rained – a lot of the ladies smoked there, so there was a hint of smoke in the air usually, mixed with that wet dirt and vegetables smell, along with wet hay from the nearby fields. I can actually picture it just like when I was there from this tea! Crazy, I love how teas can evoke good memories :) Oh and a sense of a tea buzz is definitely coming on, I will go slow with this cup lol.

Overall, this is a heck of an interesting tea! I have never had a sheng or any variety of tea for that matter that is like this. I’m also at a loss for how to rate this, I can’t decide if I like it or if it’s too weird for my tastes lol. But I am happy I got to try it as always!! I love broadening my tea tastes :)

Flavors: Grass, Green, Hay, Smoke, Tobacco

Cheri

So did it help with your allergies? Mine are awful right now.

MissLena

Haha it actually didn’t too much unfortunately :( but I was cleaning all day stirring up every allergen in the house, so that didn’t help. My new air filter is helping more though however!

ashmanra

I need to start drinking more sheng if it will help! I cleaned out our very dusty storage room yesterday and was worried about aggravating a sinus headache but I got out of it. I did use some essential oils immediately after that are supposed to help with allergies,s o maybe they did.

I started drinking this yesterday afternoon. It started of with a rich creamy texture, developing into a fruity taste, at least to me. I did a rinse today to freshen the leaves & then drank several more steepings this evening. I’d like to give a much more in depth review, but I’ve been doing desk work this whole time & although I thoroughly enjoyed each steep & am enjoying the good energy, I just don’t really have much else to say.

I’d like to thank Angel & Teavivre for the generous sample, & there is enough that I can drink it again, so I’ll try to be more focused next time :)

Another hearty thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this sample!

When it comes to Pu-erh tea, people in my realm seem to be divided into two main camps: those who love it and those who (to put it kindly) detest it. Personally, I am a proud card carrying member of the first group so I was anxious to try this new offering from Teavivre. My wife, however, is almost sickened by anything Pu-erh. She hates the smell and taste of it and doesn’t even like to be in the same room when I am brewing or drinking it.

I will start this review by warning you that if you are already predisposed to disliking Pu-erh tea, the initial opening of the package of this one will probably not miraculously endear you to it. The consistency of the dark brown Pu-erh “cake” reminded me of the two-day-old cut grass that becomes dried and jammed in the chute of my lawn mower. The unbrewed aroma is also a little reminiscent of compost. However, do not give up on it at this point! You’ve come this far. Be brave! Steep it!

I brewed the cake and remaining loose leaves for two minutes at 212 degrees. The color was like no Pu-erh that I had ever experienced. Instead of the dark muddy brown that I was used to with the Pu-erhs of my past, this one had a very light gold color. It was almost as light as green tea. The aroma had a grassy attribute that was, again, like green tea. Nowhere to be found was the strong earthy odor that seems to accompany many Pu-erh selections.

The taste of this tea was completely devoid of the expected leathery and earthy flavors that I usually find in the Pu-erh teas that I have tried. The taste of this one was light, smooth, and grassy. The flavor again reminded me more of green tea than either black or Pu-erh. At that point, I decided to stop comparing it to my Pu-erh acquaintances of days gone by and began enjoying it on its own merit.

This tea is quite tasty. The flavor is without astringency and is light and airy. I would liken the taste to a meadow of freshly mowed grass. The aftertaste is very mild and quickly diminishes.

I like this new product from Teavivre. It may be a good alternative to reintroduce the Pu-erh haters to this variety before they attempt to jump back on the traditional robust Pu-erh wagon.

I wonder if the untraditional characteristics of this tea are related to it being advertised as “raw” Pu-erh. It just goes to show you that, as in most areas of life, when you think you’ve seen (or tasted) it all, you haven’t.

Flavors: Grass

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

Dry leaf in the package smells sweet, like chocolate (didn’t expect that!)

First steep had a rush of flavours that I did not anticipate. It was a bold, heavy liquor with the flavors of mushrooms, wood, dark veg, moss and reminded me a bit of unsweetened chocolate. I expected it to be bitter (due to its age), but it was tolerable and somewhat went with the other flavors.

Second through third steeps increased in flavor but otherwise were similar in taste.

On my fourth through eighth steeps brought out a strange aftertaste. It’s hard to describe the exact flavors but the aroma brought back the memory of drinking dan cong oolongs. The aftertaste flavor took a while to develop, but on each subsequent steep (since fourth), the flavor was brought on sooner and stronger. It’s really weird for me to connect the flavor with dan cong oolongs, but that is where my memories of tea flavor keep pointing to.

Ninth to eleventh steeps were much weaker and less bitter than the rest, but the aftertaste flavor only increased. I don’t usually care to drink all of my later steeps, but I really enjoyed them with this tea.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this puerh. It’s very different from the other sample I was provided (Fengqing Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2014). I found the bitterness to be much more tolerable, and it dropped off significantly in the later steepings. Having experienced the aftertaste present from the fourth steep onward, I can’t imagine steeping this western style. Each short steep brought out many different flavours that I wanted to savour. If I were in a better situation to keep/store/age puerh I’d considering getting some of this tea. Admittedly I’m a fairly inexperienced raw puerh drinker, but this is one of the better puerhs I have tried.

Boiling 10 g 3 OZ / 85 ML

So after having a nice little conversation with Sarsonator, I decided to break open one of my many puerh samples from TeaVivre. She recommended a pseudo-gong fu method of combining three steeps into one mug and then repeating that. The dry leaves are in small chunks and flakes from being broken off of a cake. The color ranges from dark evergreen to slightly purple. Dry scent is rather strong smoke, which surprised me! Also eucalyptus or menthol and slightly mushroom notes.

So, I did a 10s rinse. Then 10s, 15s, 20s steeps combined into one cup. After that I did 30s, 40s, and 50s combined. I found then to be quite similar so I’m just going to consider both cups as one experience.

Brewed aroma was pretty much the same as dry, but much milder on the smoke and methol. The taste was much lighter than I expected it to be. There’s a mild hay or grassy flavor that forms the base, and I can definitely see the “barnyard” descriptor here, but in a good way. The smoke and the menthol hit at the back of my tongue and throat, along with a slight peppery taste. All three are quite mild. There’s a definite dried fruity flavor, comparable maybe to dried apricot or prune.

I got an interesting tingly feeling in my mouth that I wasn’t expecting! I wasn’t sure whether I enjoyed it or not, to be honest. It somewhat made my tongue feel like I’d eaten too many sour candies… And I could definitely feel it making a difference in my heart rate and a little bit in my head. Interesting! Now my chest kind of hurts, so not sure what that’s about…

Thanks Sars for all the advice! :) I’m really unsure how to rate this, so I guess I’ll just go for it?

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Eucalyptus, Grass, Hay, Menthol, Mineral, Mushrooms, Pepper, Smoke

200 °F / 93 °C 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Sarsonator

I’m not expert, but I kinda know what I like :)

I enjoy the tongue tingle. It may not be for everyone! Feel free to join me on the sheng side as often as you like!!!!

Method: gongfu-style with gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 5, 5, 10, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 45, 60

Dry leaf aroma has notes of cooked mushrooms and various spices (I could make out cumin, paprika, cloves, and coriander). Wet leaf smells like green beans. First infusion is light, tastes of sweet grass with a peppercorn finish. Second infusion is similar, though the aroma of the wet leaf at this point has changed to peppersteak. Third infusion is sweeter and grassier, very sheng-like.

I can’t discern any change in taste in the fourth and later infusions. I do know for certain that I like this one more than the other shengs I’ve had from Teavivre.

I actually have no idea how I got a sample.

Boiling 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Heh, mystery sample :)

KiwiDelight

It finally happened to me.

cavocorax provide me with this sample which i’m willing to bed was the second package from samples she would have picked up from Angel heh. teavivre really is generous when it comes to their samples. I’d be happy with ONE package as a sample and they nearly always send at least 2!

This reminds me of Wild Monk from Mandala but without the smoke that i adore. this is more of a green sort of puerh than an earthy one – leaning towards coming across as vegetal. It reminds me a little of some of the green teas that i’ve had recently from teavivre but without the juiciness. Instead this is more subdued..bordering on almost nut like versus snap peas or something similar. Over all, quite lovely through a few steepings!

Stephanie

I really like this one too :)

Sarsonator

I believe I have a sample of this on the way! Woo!

Backlog:

A very faint dry leaf aroma, almost to the point of being non-existent. Normally I smell something with a pu-erh, but this is very, very faint. The wet leaves, on the other hand, have a very strong vegetal note, like peas.

This very young Pu-erh is more vegetal than earthy, so those who tend to shy away from Pu-erh because it’s overly earthy … this would be one for you to try. It’s much more like a green tea than a Shu Pu-erh.

Sweet, vegetal, buttery, notes of mushroom and steamed veggies with hints of nut. The analogy that I made on my full-length review (see it here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/04/06/fengqing-wild-tree-yesheng-raw-pu-erh-tea-cake-2013-teavivre/ ) is a plate of extra-mild, freshly steamed, sweet spinach topped with lightly sauteed mushrooms (sauteed in butter, of course!) and then topped with thinly sliced almonds – raw almonds.

Quite a lovely pu-erh experience!

The Leaf: Multicolored, with black, brown, light-brown, tan, and red leaves throughout. Very nice but light scent much like a black tea; not too earthy like some pu-erh. It is a mix of malty and earthy tones. Most of the mass is leaf, but there are some stems present.

The Brew: The liquor is very lightly colored; a greenish brown tinge. The aroma is very unlike the dry leaf; fruity and grassy. The taste is an amplified version of the aroma with an added slightly sweet note. The flavor is much stronger on the back of the tongue, and it reminds me of standing in a greenhouse. The mouthfeel is soft while drinking, but leaves a bit of a dryness in the mouth. There is also a very long, and very light, aftertaste that has more of a nutty or roasted overtone to it. The brewed leaf scent has an even stronger impression of a greenhouse atmosphere.

I drink all of my teas cold.

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

It was only a couple years ago that I had my first taste of puerh. A lot of people seem a little freaked by the experience but I found it instantly accessible. At first I could only tell by taste if it was raw or ripe. Slowly I am beginning to grasp the wide range of flavor of each. This one gets my award as the best aroma ever from the dry leaf. It is hay, green tea, and citrus. Really nice. The steeped leaf is minty, anise, citrus, and deep green steamed vegetal. Again, really nice. The sip reveals the youth of this cake. It is not the bright metallic taste I usually expect. This is dusty and musty. The taste is very earthy like fresh clean damp soil. It reminds me of digging potatoes as a kid with my dad. So mega-points for memory association. I very much enjoyed this cup and look forward to seeing how it changes with age.

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stephanie

I reaaallly enjoyed this one as well :)

Terri HarpLady

I think I may have a sample of this waiting to be sampled. :)

K S

If you don’t let me know. I think I have more.

Stephanie

Looking forward to your notes on it Terri. I wish I could afford a cake!

TheTeaFairy

I loved reading this note..,

Terri HarpLady

That’s cuz you’re awesome, KS!

ashmanra

I am getting low on puerh. I might need to put this one on my next order. Sounds excellent.