Fengqing Raw Pu-erh Cake Tea 2006

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Thank you *Teavivre*, from this sample! Not using a rating because I'm inexperienced with sheng pu'erh and don't have the proper palate. Gongfu method with 4oz gaiwan. 10 second rise. Steepings...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 90 tasting notes
  • “Sample sipdown! I decided to brew it gongfu style because I have a teensy Japanese soy sauce dispenser that holds 3 oz. As per their website for the paddy flavoured tea (because this one is no...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1369 tasting notes
  • “I had this tea two days ago and never left a review. I definitely picked up the chocolate notes in the dry and brewed. It did have that slightly smokey pu-erh taste. Somehow nothing stood out...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 191 tasting notes
  • “This tea provided a pleasant accompaniment to my afternoon. The dry leaf smelled of a powdery chocolate smell with a hint of sugar and raisin as well as a hint of sweet aging straw. The tea never...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 342 tasting notes

From Teavivre

This Raw Pu-erh Cake Teavivre choose is from the representative Pu-erh production area Fengqing. Fengqing is the original place of the world-wide famous Dian Hong Tea. And it is also a classic place of Yunnan Pu-erh. It is a place in Lingcang which is one of the four famous Pu-erh production areas. The taste of Fengqing Pu-erh is mellow and sweet, deeper than Pu-erh in other production area. And it usually has the flowery flavor of Dian Hong Tea.

This Raw Puerh Cake is special for the two seasons resource from the same Arbor Tea Trees. Some are picked on March which we called “Ming Qian” or “Chun Jian” leaves. This is the best tea leaves in Spring Tea because it contains more nutrition and tastes mellow. Some are picked on September which we called “Gu Hua” or “Paddy Flower”. This is the best leaves for Autumn Tea because the aroma is stronger lasting longer. The Autumn Tea (Paddy Flower Tea) also has special flower fragrance. This Raw Puerh Cake is made by the two kinds of tea resource which were carefully blended by certain proportion.

About Teavivre View company

Thank you Teavivre, from this sample!

Not using a rating because I’m inexperienced with sheng pu’erh and don’t have the proper palate. Gongfu method with 4oz gaiwan. 10 second rise. Steepings time were 10, 15, 3, 30, 45, 60…

The dry leaf aroma consists of mushrooms, smoke, sweet spices, and peppercorns. After the rinse, the aroma was savory. I picked out sauteed mushrooms, BBQ’d London broil (medium rare), honey, and honey mustard BBQ sauce. I thought I felt my stomach rumble…

The liquor has a pale peach color and is clear and full-bodied. The first infusion was earthy and sour and had a hint of mushroom. At the second infusion, the aroma resembled cherries and the texture became creamy. Still could only taste earth and sourness. The texture went back to being clear for the third. Sourness waned a little, fruity note appeared. I could have probably gone for more infusions for the sake of the review, but I had to stop at the fifth. The flavor notes – earth, sour – pretty much remained the same. I tried my darndest detect flavors beyond what I was already tasting. Props to me for smelling those weird notes in the aromas (I have a crave now).

2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Sample sipdown!

As per their website for the paddy flavoured tea (because this one is no longer)…
Dry, the tea smells really sweet and carby.
2 rinses – A bit smoky, as well as sweet and carby (like cooked potatoes or pasta or something).
20s – Umm. Huh. I don’t like this at all. It smells sweet and carby with a tinge of smoke, but it tastes extremely astringent and bitter, a bit fishy, and just. No. Like a green darjeeling that’s been boiled and oversteeped.
30s – Even stronger and more astringent and bitter.
40s 5s – Nope.

Ok, I’m calling it quits. This is not a tea for me, the flavours are not good. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong (entirely possible!), but I do not like. It was my first raw puerh, too. I have a couple others that I’ll eventually get to. :)

205 °F / 96 °C 7 tsp 3 OZ / 88 ML

I had this tea two days ago and never left a review. I definitely picked up the chocolate notes in the dry and brewed. It did have that slightly smokey pu-erh taste. Somehow nothing stood out with the taste but I’m still new to pu-erh teas. I think this tea deserves another chance before I rate it as I was pretty distracted on the day I had it and never noticed if there was any change in my cha qi either.

This tea provided a pleasant accompaniment to my afternoon.

The dry leaf smelled of a powdery chocolate smell with a hint of sugar and raisin as well as a hint of sweet aging straw. The tea never developed the sweetness apparent in the smell.

I brewed this tea 12 times after the rinse and used half a sample packet. ( 10, 20, 25, 30,35,40,45,50,60,80,120,180s). The broth was a brownish red tinged gold.

The first third of the steeps were dominated by a coffee like bitterness created by tones of leather, dried bitter greens, dry fall leaves, dark cocoa and charred dried aged wood. This was tempered by unsweetened cream, plum, warm lemon, and a hint of vanilla orchid.

In middle steeps the leather and bitter greens slowly dissipated and the wood developed a charred aged cedar tone. Honey became apparent underneath the fruit. Tones of sultana and licorice appeared briefly among the cocoa, charred wood, fruit and cream.

The later steeps were dominated by plum charred cedar, cocoa, honey and hints of vanilla orchid.
The tea produced a bright tingling at the front of the mouth and a warmth in the throat.

Thanks Angel I enjoyed this tea very much and appreciate the opportunity to really begin my education in puerh teas!

Once again thanks to the ever generous TeaVivre for their generous samples.

SimpliciTEA

The flavors and aromas you get from this tea is astounding. Do you have a background as a tea sommilier, or did you get some other kind of training to be able to identify the flavors so distinctly?

yyz

Thanks. I actually don’t have any formal training. Informally I grew up in a very multicultural environment and have had exposure to a wide variety of environments. I started cooking by taste when quite young and my mom and I used to go on wine tours from when I was a young teenager. Some of the vintners used to lay out samples from their entire production and I guess my education in discerning tastes and tones began there. I’ve generally had a pretty good sense of taste though! I have travelled a lot as well and it is sometimes interesting how different culinary traditions combine the same ingredients and obtain very different results. Or in some cases use small amounts of a simple ingredient to create a bold transformation in flavour.

SimpliciTEA

Thank you for posting here about your tasting history.

I don’t feel I have a very good sense of taste myself, but it may be in part due to my racing mind, and my hope is that in slowing down I will be better at discerning flavors. I’ve already slightly better at it; I hope my ability to taste continues to improve as I continue to slow my life down.

I also appreciate that last sentence you posted, as it reminds me how the right changes in the right place at the right time, no matter how small, can transform lives.

Thank you Angel for sending me this (and other ) samples! (192)

I haven’t had a lot of experience drinking pure puerh so I was hesitant to try this, yet excited. It’s complicated. I steeped it for 3 minutes as a play-it-safe way to start. I figure I can always re-steep it for longer if I get brave enough!

And so I sip! And it’s quite nice! It’s not OMG It’s lightly earthy and slightly sweet and there’s just a little bit of smoke too. Am I imagining that? Interesting! I’m starting to get used to puerhs!

Stephanie

This is a great into to sheng!

Backlog:

Hey, Sil! Guess what? I’m getting closer to getting caught up!

A really enjoyable Puerh. My first cup was dry and light, with vegetative notes. Mellow with notes of brine … slightly salty. Not so much “fishy” kind of briny taste, more like the salty kind of briny, like a liquid you might marinate a piece of meat in.

I notice an earthy, mushroom-y sort of flavor to this … a barely there note. In subsequent infusions, the earthiness begins to subside and there is more vegetal notes instead. A mellow, well rounded taste that is both savory and sweet.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/06/fengqing-raw-pu-erh-cake-tea-2006-teavivre/