Aged Chenpi Ripened Tangerine Pu-erh

Fruit Pu-erh Blend
Pu Erh Tea Leaves, Tangerine
Orange, Orange Zest, Pine, Sweet, Wood, Bark, Citrus Zest, Citrus, Mint, Molasses, Thyme
Edit tea info Last updated by Rumpus Parable
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 oz / 174 ml

• “I got a sample of this with my last Teavivre order, & I have to admit, it's pretty nice, especially lightly sweetened. The sweetening really brings out the flavor of the tangerine peel. ” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes
  • “I'm loving the mulled and mellow taste of this. I got it as a free sample with my last order, used half the sample last night, and I've been steeping the other half this morning. It's deliciously...” Read full tasting note
    janchi 16 tasting notes
  • “I love the idea of a orange pu-erh. I think pu-erh would be a nice base for a TON of different flavors. I'm a little hesitant on having an orange filled with pu-erh around, it seems like it would...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1330 tasting notes
  • “This tea was intruiging from the moment I opened the foil packet. It seemed there was just as much dried tangerine rind as there was tea leaf inside! Now, this is my second flavored puerh. Before,...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 471 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Heart of Pu-erh within peel of Tangerine
Original Place: Yunnan (云南), China
Harvest Time: the pu-erh tea was harvested on Apr 25, 2009.
Appearance: dried at high temperature and formed into the shape of orange.
Process: aged ripened pu-erh tea is filled inside of the orange peel, making the tea mixed with the fragrant of orange.
Tea Liquid: dark red color, thick and bright.
Flavor: you can taste both the brisk fragrance of orange, and the mellow taste of pu-erh.
Meet this creative pu-erh tea: it is made of ripened pu-erh tea leaves with Chenpi. Dig out the pulp in the orange, then fill in the empty space with aged ripened pu-erh tea leaves. After drying and shaping, the Chenpi tea was made in the appearance of tangerine, with unique taste. Chenpi is a Chinese phrase means the dried peel of orange or tangerine. It can be used in food, as well used as drugs in tradition Chinese medicine.

Fermented Pu-erh tea is changed to tender and warm nature. While according to the theory of Chinese medicine, Chenpi is warm, too, and is good for stomach and digestion. By combining these characters of the two different things, the tea maker created this unique and rich flavor. This Aged Chenpi Ripened Tangerine Pu-erh would be nice choice if you like rich teas.
If you prefer a stronger flavor of orange in the tea, you can break 3 or 4 small pieces of Chenpi off from the whole peel, and brew the tea together with small Chenpi pieces. This can bring more taste to the liquid. Each small piece can be similar to the size of the first knuckle of your thumb.

About Teavivre View company

I got a sample of this with my last Teavivre order, & I have to admit, it’s pretty nice, especially lightly sweetened. The sweetening really brings out the flavor of the tangerine peel.

Stephanie

Sweetening this one is a good idea… I’ll have to try that!

I’m loving the mulled and mellow taste of this. I got it as a free sample with my last order, used half the sample last night, and I’ve been steeping the other half this morning. It’s deliciously woody with a muted tang of orange in the aftertaste – there are pieces of dried orange rind in the sample, which I put in along with the leaves when I steeped, and as the rind softened, more orange taste came through so later steeps were more ‘mulled’ tasting.

It’s very warming and soothing; I drank this right up until bedtime last night and felt very cosy. I think I’ll be buying more of this before winter comes, and then hoping for snow so I can sit by the fire sipping it snugly.

Flavors: Orange, Orange Zest, Pine, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

I love the idea of a orange pu-erh. I think pu-erh would be a nice base for a TON of different flavors. I’m a little hesitant on having an orange filled with pu-erh around, it seems like it would me messy, but I most certainly wanted to try the sample!

Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // rinse //15 min after boiling (accidentally) // 3 min steep
I love the look of these pu-erh leaves, chocolate brown twisty leaves. I scooped two teaspoons out from my sample, leaving a decent amount left for next time. There was a big piece of orange peel in this, but somehow to me it seems more like pine trees to me than orange. I’ve never had a pu-erh smell like pine trees to me before, and the taste is there as well. Hints of orange in the background, even with this huge piece of orange, it isn’t much. The three minute steep time seems like a long time, but Teavivre actually suggests more than five minutes, and I had waited for the water to cool to long after boiling anyway.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 min
Another delicious pine cup… if you’re in the market for teas that taste like pine trees, go for this. I mean that in the best way possible. It’s very unique.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 10 min
Another intriguing cup that hasn’t lost the flavor yet. Very sweet, not bitter or astringent of course, since this is a pu-erh and the good ones don’t get bitter. There is a flavor here that is intriguing but I couldn’t tell why… it seems like all of the pu-erh teas over at Teavivre are all very unique. I’ve loved all of the ripened that I’ve tried so far.

This tea was intruiging from the moment I opened the foil packet. It seemed there was just as much dried tangerine rind as there was tea leaf inside! Now, this is my second flavored puerh. Before, I had tried a chocolate one by The Tea Spot, but I didn’t care for it much.

The scent is very interesting. The fruit is in the forefront, but it isn’t so much a fresh fruit aroma. It smells more like the tangerine tree itself. Sure, there are notes of citrus in it, but I also smell wood, dried leaves, and something very sweet.

As the tea steeps, it comes to a dark shade of brown, almost like coffee. The tangerine peels float to the top and rest there. The flavor of the tea is “cooked” for lack of a better word. The fruit tastes the way it would in a cobbler, sort of. There’s also a hint of something that reminds me of cereal. While this is very new and interesting, I can’t say I’m a huge fan. Maybe I still need to grow into puerhs.

Flavors: Bark, Citrus Zest, Wood

Nice natural flavored puerh. The citrus notes blend nicely with the woody flavor of the ripe puerh; a little earthy as is typical of puerh; no offensive fishy or “barnyard” smells found. All in all a very pleasant cup.
I began with what has become my routine process with puerh (both sheng and shou): boiling water; two 5s rinses; then let it sit for 15m to open up the leaf. Tea liquor is quite dark; very smooth and fairly mellow but there is a bit of light astringency (which is quite pleasant in my opinion). I made sure that there were several small pieces of the tangerine rind mixed in with the dark leaf because I wanted to enhance the fresh taste of citrus. This is an easy way for those new to puerh to begin to explore.

Boiling 5 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

I haven’t had any tangerine-stuffed Pu Erh since 2013 New Year’s Eve. I remember getting questions by my friends in a “what in earth is that” fashion but as I explained them how the tea got inside the tangerine they gladly accepted to try it. Some expected full flavour of tangerine, but in the end everyone was at least glad to have tried it.

About two months ago I saw this tea introduced at Teavivre and I didn’t wait long to order a sample along with some other recently introduced teas. I got this Pu Erh with some broken tangerine peel and it was quite unusual to me that the label said ‘steep 6 to 8 minutes’. My guess was that it’s meant for western-style steeping, in a large tea pot. I used one sample bag (10 gr) with my 250ml borosilicate glass teapot and set timer for 6 minutes.

First steep had a really deep black tone to it (due to 6-minute steep) with red-brown rim in my white porcelain cup. At the top there was a certain herbaceous, thyme-like note. With first sip I got a mild sweetness head on, which soon dissipated and morphed into very thick and mouthful molassy sensation with tad bitter end. Not long after swallowing the sweetness reemerge and sits for a short period. After a few sips the senses get acquainted with the bitter element which blends in with the rest and gets almost unnoticeable. Tangerine element is present, blends in very nice but can’t catch up with the rest when it comes to intensity.

As the brew cooled down I noticed more of freshness along with minty aftertaste, and what makes this tea uncommon when it comes to Pu Erh is that it didn’t had any elements associated to earth or dirt, but wood.
Second infusion (8 minutes) came out a bit weaker but with more balanced elements – tangerine was more prominent and minty aftertaste was ever-present.

In conclusion, a very good tea for it’s type (Tangerine-stuffed Pu Erh), which can get pricey and fishy in taste depending of where you get it (this one wasn’t).

Flavors: Citrus, Mint, Molasses, Sweet, Thyme, Wood

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 10 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
ashmanra

I turned a friend on to puerh before Christmas and she in to got her mom hooked on it. They exchanged puerh and tea paraphernalia for Christmas. Now for her mom’s birthday she asked me if I knew of a citrusy one her mom would like. I sent her to this one and she is really excited about her order.

kOmpir

Hey ashmanra, I got my parents hooked to tea too! My dad mostly drinks Turkish black tea and my stepmother drinks almost anything that I bring her to try. I noticed that they drink less coffee lately and are less jittery :)

Aroma: Citrus, woody
Liquor Color: Deep rusty red
Liquor Flavor: Juicy citrus, followed by a light woody taste that lingers
Notes: I was a little shocked at the steep time, but I followed the directions and it came out just fine. I actually kind of enjoyed this. The citrus notes really shined and the pu-erh was light but woody. Overall the tea was very smooth. There were chunks of tangerine which gave it a really nice dry leaf aroma.
Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

Flavors: Citrus, Wood

My first tea of the day. It smelly like I’m having citrus fruit salad in the forest. I liked the dark orange colour of the .liquor. The flavour is woody, with the tang of tangerine.

Flavors: Citrus

TheTeaFairy was kind enough to send me a sample of this.
I was quite intrigued by this one. It looks good – pu’erh with huge chunks of tangerine skin – it smells good. Steep instructions on the package says 6-8 minutes (hmmmm that seems like a long time for a pu’erh). I choose to ignore that recommendation, gave it a quick rinse and steeped about two minutes. Hmmmm maybe I should have listened to the steep instructions. I don’t like this – the pu’erh is nice enough, but the citrus is really acidic (almost bitter), not balanced with the pu’erh. OK I can admit I was wrong, added more leaf and steeped for 7 minutes. This is better, there is more pu’erh to cover the citrus – the citrus isn’t so “in your face offensive”, but I still don’t like it.
I don’t think this is a BAD tea, I just think the flavor profile doesn’t work for me. It was interesting – I would recommend anyone that is interested to try it – really happy to have had the chance to try it, but It’s just not for me.

The earthiness some puerhs have is light in this one on first steeping, not deep or strong. The tangerine aspect doesn’t come across as fruit at all, that sweetness the is still in the rings usually… Instead it gives a pure rind hint to it where the fact that it’s tangerine is in no way clear. It’s just that hint of rind that very vaguely comes from them.

It’s a light and subtle puerh on first steep. Nifty but nothing special to me.

Second steep, much earthier. There’s no clear tangerine influence of any kind detectable unless that bit of bitterness in the back of the throat is it….

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 2 g 2 OZ / 59 ML
TeaVivre

Did you brewed this tea together with small Chenpi pieces? If you prefer a stronger flavor of orange in the tea, you can break 3 or 4 small pieces of Chenpi off from the whole peel, and brew the tea together with Chenpi.

Rumpus Parable