Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2009

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 10 g 4 oz / 118 ml

• “From the *Unflavored TTB*. No yixing teapot of my own, so ceramic it is! 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 10, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 120. I'm inexperienced with shu pu-erh. So what did I get?...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 140 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Teavivre for the awesome contest! I won a whole cake of pu-erh and I don't think many other people would be hoping for a pu-erh among those other amazing teas they could have won! ...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1415 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Man’en Village (曼恩村), Mengzhe, Menghai, Yunnan

Ingredients: Yunnan large leaf species

Harvest time: September 9, 2009

Taste: carries a typical strong aroma of ripened pu-erh, tastes mellow, smooth, thick with sweet aftertaste.

This Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake tea is made by Ding Lanxian, a descendant of Mabang people, who has over thirty years of experience in making tea. Using the tea leaf of Yunnan Large Leaf Species from Lantsang basin as material, the cake was properly fermented, carefully compressed after high temperature sterilization.

About Teavivre View company

From the Unflavored TTB.

I’m inexperienced with shu pu-erh. So what did I get? Mostly EARTH. All around. The wet leaf aroma, however, also contained gentle notes of plums and grapes. Such a lovely combination! I kept sticking my nose into the bowl.

At first the color of the liquor was copper, which then deepened to dark orange. The intensity of the flavor throughout the session was basically shaped like a percentile graph. The first infusion was light-bodied and a little astringent, and the earth was muted. The second and third infusions were more developed: full-bodied, flavorful with coffee and bitter notes. These notes in subsequent infusions became softer, and inevitably weakened.

I like this. I wish I were more experienced to get more than just earth and coffee. Also, I think I prefer shu to sheng (is that weird?). Mostly for the taste, but especially for the effect. As soon as I finished the first infusion I felt as if this tea were giving me a hug. And then halfway through the session I felt serene yet energetic. Every time I heard the water boil for the next infusion I ran to the sauce pan like a puppy.

“Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee I like teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea”

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Stephanie

Mmmmm puerh

TheTeaFairy

Tea hugs. The best.

Thank you Teavivre for the awesome contest! I won a whole cake of pu-erh and I don’t think many other people would be hoping for a pu-erh among those other amazing teas they could have won! Actually, I’m pretty sure it’s Teavivre’s fault that I’m almost addicted to pu-erh as much as black tea and I REALLY love my black tea. I love that this came wrapped and then in a manila envelope type thing with a string to close it.

Steep #1 // rinse // few minutes after boiling // 2 min steep
It looked like a teaspoon and a half or so of leaves that I broke off. There are hints of gold in these black leaves. At first taste: Oh this is a good pu-erh. I’m already very happy with it! The flavor is already very deep with no astringency – it has hints of the pond flavor when first sipping, but then it’s hints of dark chocolate and even the things I like about coffee. I feel like I’ve tried a pu-erh like this before, probably from Teavivre that tastes very similar. I have sampled a FEW pu-erhs from Teavivre, so it’s tough to tell which one.

Steep #2 // 2 min after boiling // 2 1/2 min steep
Another really lovely cup, of course. More chocolate, more coffee. I really love this pu-erh.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 min
I’m surprised at the sweetness of this cup! I didn’t expect a longer steep time to make it sweeter! I think these leaves could keep steeping, and it seems like if it’s a longer steep time it will just keep getting sweeter? It seems like a sweeter pu-erh rather than a deeper, darker tasting pu-erh, if that makes sense. Very delicious! If I had sampled this before I won it for the contest, I probably would have bought it. I think Teavivre’s Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Pu-erh Brick 2006 is still my favorite pu-erh from Teavivre by a tiny bit over this one though.