Xi Gui Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 6 g 6 oz / 177 ml

• “So the first time I ever tried green pu-erh I said never again. I thought it was bitter and tasted like a latex glove. Then I realized it was operator error because I brewed it too long. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 356 tasting notes
  • “Final sample from Angel and *Teavivre*. I'm a beginner at Pu-erh, and a nobody when it comes to Raw Pu'erh. This will be the first one I've ever, ever tried. I've heard good things, though, so I'm...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1031 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from last night. I brewed multiple steeps of this in my gaiwan, but I think I underleafed it, as the flavour was extremely light throughout. The liquor was mostly pale gold, and while I...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 533 tasting notes
  • “Hello, hello, hello.... Is anybody in there? Broken Steepster is not much fun. I had this one yesterday. This is a really nice young sheng. The first cup is almost subdued. Sure it is slightly...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1358 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Xigui (昔归), Bangdong, Lincang, Yunnan

Ingredients: Yunnan Large Leaf Species

Harvest time: April 18, 2013

Taste: full and strong flavor, nice and smooth taste; high aroma, with lingering, strong sweet aftertaste, along with a heavy secretion of saliva.

Xi Gui Raw Pu-erh 2013 is quite changeful in taste. Maybe you are familiar with the typical bold and unconstrained features of raw tea, or have tasted the mild and gentle characteristic brought by our Wild Tree Pu-erh. But this Xi Gui tea is a combination of both.

About Teavivre View company

So the first time I ever tried green pu-erh I said never again. I thought it was bitter and tasted like a latex glove. Then I realized it was operator error because I brewed it too long. I’m huge fan of pu-erh. It is my favorite type of tea to drink. So with that said I have a new perspective on the greens. I was pretty excited about trying this one. I’ve experienced buttery on a green, but the first brew was buttery. It’s pretty much a straight up green. There’s not really any hidden nuances that come out due to it being a pu-erh. It’s pretty good but as far as pu-erh goes there’s not much that can touch black pu-erh. It’s good though.

Final sample from Angel and Teavivre. I’m a beginner at Pu-erh, and a nobody when it comes to Raw Pu’erh. This will be the first one I’ve ever, ever tried. I’ve heard good things, though, so I’m actually pretty excited to dive straight in.

Fresh from the packet, the dry leaves smell of apricot and grape. There’s a deep, winey scent which is really appealing. The recommended parameters are 6-10 minutes at 212, and I’m going to go for the bottom end of the range for my first steep. I gave the leaves a short rinse before preparing my first cup proper.

First cup, and the liquor is bright golden yellow. The scent is very fruity; stonefruit generically, but I think apricot more specifically. To taste, it’s a completely odd duck. Initially, I’m getting quite a strong flavour of mushroom; quite nutty , a little damp-tasting. Then a smooth, sweet apricot note develops, which, frankly, is more than a little weird next to the mushroom. There’s a light astringency in the aftertaste, but nothing overwhelming.

Second steep is very similar to the first. The mushroom notes are a bit milder, but the same (quite jarring) contrast with the apricot is still there. The astringency is increasing, to the point where my mouth and throat feel quite dry after taking a sip.

I know this one is good for multiple resteeps, but I’m going to leave it here because I’m not really enjoying it. I have another sample of this one to try at a later date, so hopefully I can analyse what I’m doing and make some amendments. I think perhaps western style brewing is not the way with this one.

Tealizzy

I’ve found puerh is best suited to the short steeps of gong fu brewing. You might give that a try.

also… if you don’t like the first few steepings if you do them gong fu, just toss out the first few… haha

Terri HarpLady

Welcome to the wonderful weird work of Sheng :)

TeaBrat

I would agree with tealizzy, I steep shengs for around 10 – 30 seconds. 6 minutes is way too long.

Backlog from last night.

I brewed multiple steeps of this in my gaiwan, but I think I underleafed it, as the flavour was extremely light throughout. The liquor was mostly pale gold, and while I did get stonefruit notes and a hint of astringency/leather, this tea really didn’t grab me the way I thought it would.

Hello, hello, hello…. Is anybody in there?

Broken Steepster is not much fun.

I had this one yesterday. This is a really nice young sheng. The first cup is almost subdued. Sure it is slightly bright like raw sheng tends to be but not in an overpowering way. It is slightly mineral and slightly mushroom, yet neither are strong or offensive. Crisp, I think fits this nicely. The aftertaste really hangs on and seems floral to me. The second cup has a bolder but similar flavor. I detect some hints of leather. The third is the brightest, with an almost puckering bitterness. Cup four returns to a much milder cup with apricot notes. The aftertaste lingers and changes from cup to cup. It starts floral then seems more like a tieguanyin. By cup four it has a combination of both. These have all been about 8 oz cups. I have no idea how far it will go but it shows no signs of letting up. Very nice. Thank you Teavivre for this lovely sample.

Ysaurella

I’m there :) Nice to see the Dashboard’s activity back – I loved this one too.

tantonino

I am here! Are you the one that knocks? Steepster must still be buggy – people can’t seem to find my follow-profile-button ;)

K S

Opportunity knocks. I just barge right in and click the follow buttons. I’m a natural born button pusher. Hope we are up and running for real for a long while.

i’m annoyed still at the forum pages not refreshing properly and the 50 notifications coming through all about the same thing lol

K S

I agree. I so need a forum fix.

I’d like to thank the folks at Teavivre for choosing this tea for me.

This smells a bit floral. The flavour is mild, sweet, and somewhat green tasting. Another tea I like, but need to experiment with some more.

This came as an offering from Angel and Teavivre.

One thing I love about Teavivre is when they say sample, they really mean it…VERY generous size, they allow you to have a real gongfu session.

I’m using one full sachet for a 5oz yixing pot. The cake chunks are always separated with care.

After a quick rinse, steep one is a little shy it seems. A bit sweet, slightly fuity with hints of astringency.

It gets interesting at steep three. Nice body and texture to this tea. To me, it’s really fruity.

Like a blend of grape and apple juice…sweet and tart at the same time. The typical young sheng astringency is building up, and that’s something I appreciate.

There’s also a certain woodsy finish to the sip.

I lost count of how many steeps I had, but there were many.

I really enjoyed this one.

Thank you so much Teavivre for the oppotunity.

Thank you Angel from Teavivre for this sample.
I am very very very far from being an expert in Pu-erh. I am even an absolute beginner at this type of tea. I think I only tried one before this one.

First while opening the sample packet, the aromas are lovely as are the dark leaves, with some white points. Funny leaves. After steeping they are now so long, so green, still lovely.

I steeped this tea western style, 6 minutes as recommended and in a boiling water.
The liquor is very very pale, incredible regarding the dark leaves.
I add 2 brown sugar rocks and the liquor becomes now a pale orange.

Drinking it now it is a little bitter but not that much and a kind of special bitterness which adds personnality to a tea.
The notes are fruity : grapes and apricot maybe ?

This is a pleasant tea and ideal for the season, not too heavy, easy to drink.
I am knowing by now I can and should drink some straight pu-erh without fear.

Method: 6 g, 6 oz, 205 degrees, 15 and 25 seconds, yixing

This is quite lovely, like a sweet grape whisper. I did two steepings and blended them into my mug. The aroma and flavors were lovely, but very quiet. I did a 3rd steeping for about 35 seconds. This is way too long. Don’t do it. LOL. The tea became bitter at this point.

Stick to very short steeps, and this has a lot to offer!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
mrmopar

You have become a Shengaholic…

Sarsonator

I learned it by watching you, mrm :p

TheTeaFairy

She’s also a fashengista mrmopar.

MzPriss

morning sheng!

mmmmm sheng!!!

Cheri

mmmm….sounds delicious. I think I will switch to sheng.

Cameron B.

Lol, like a sweet grape whisper… I love it. :)

:p Cambot

ashmanra

Oooooo.

Cameron B.

Between the Mandala $5 sampler and TeaVivre’s free samples, I find myself the owner of a lot of puerh, all of a sudden. I guess I’ll have to start cracking. :P

It’s been a long & busy day, & so much still to do before I go to bed.
I’ve been drinking this tea all evening. The dry leaf, in shades of green & gray, has a fresh & sweet kind of aroma that brings to mind a spring rain. Although I was expecting a potent brash raw taste, the early steepings were very mild & creamy, & the flavor gradually built to an almost fruity taste. This is a lovely sheng, with potent energy.

Thank you to Angel & Teavivre for the generous sample!