Fuding Shou Mei White Tea Cake 2013

White Tea
White Tea Leaves
Dried Fruit, Raisins, Tangy, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Grapes, Honey, Grass, Hay, Wood, Autumn Leaf Pile, Smooth, Eucalyptus, Grain, Sweet, Malt, Green Wood, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 5 g 10 oz / 281 ml

• “I'm not even sure how to describe this tea. This is one of if not the best White tea that I've had. Thank You Angel for this sample!! I've had this these samples for a while now and just havent...” Read full tasting note
    toadman208 468 tasting notes
  • “A sample from Angel at *Teavivre*. I've drank a fair few white teas on my journey so far, but I don't think I even really knew they came in cake form. Once again, Teavivre broadens my tea...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1026 tasting notes
  • “Thank you, *Angel*, for providing me a sample! Brewed Western-style. Never thought that a white tea could be pressed into a cake. I studied the chunk of cake included in my packet. An aesthetic...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 151 tasting notes
  • “The first infusion tastes light and creamy with hints of vanilla and raisin, and the second is similar but with a subtle tanginess to accompany, a bit like ginseng. The predominant flavor is of...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 112 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fuding, Fujian Province.

Ingredients: one bud with two or three leaves

Harvest time: Dec 26, 2013

Taste: full, strong, has fresh and brisk aroma

Health Benefits: White tea contains various functional components, including caffeine, tea polyphenol, tea polysaccharide, theaflavin, theanine and so on, which are beneficial for human health in multiple aspects. For example, tea polypgenol can anti-aging, by antioxidation and clearing free radical away; caffeine is diuretic due to its function of restraining the re-absorbing of sodium, chloridion and water; flavanols, and also caffeine, help to refresh mind and remove fat.

About Teavivre View company

I’m not even sure how to describe this tea. This is one of if not the best White tea that I’ve had.
Thank You Angel for this sample!!
I’ve had this these samples for a while now and just havent tried some of them until now, I think I got them
in the Spring
I’m really glad that I waited until Autumn to try this one because it’s a wonderfull fall time tea IMO, like I
said tho I’m not even sure how to describe it.
I’ll start by saying that this one is quite different than most whites I’ve had even white tea cakes, it’s difficult because this one actually has most of the same typical notes that I also get from all the other whites that I’ve had with the honey, hay, grassy, spicey, fruity notes ect everything that I’ve ever tasted in other whites are in this tea somewhere AND also has IMO many characteristics of other tea types as well from yellow, to oolong and even at times similar to a raw puerh.
It’s a Chameleon!
Some other notes that I don’t usually get from white are Malt, Toast or Roasty notes, Nutty, Earth, Vanilla(I’ve got slight vanilla from just a few whites but this has really nice vanilla notes) Fruit(this one had typical peachy, apricot notes that I generally find in whites as well as raisiny and plum like notes that i find in some blacks)
even some whiny grapey/muscatel notes like someblacks or darjeelings and thats not even all.
NOTHING at all off putting or bitter or atringent or anything in this one, Absolutely Perfect!

This Tea really blows me away, I love it, I have to say perhaps it’s actually the best White Tea that suits me and Surely one of the best Teas period that I’ve, It’s got so much going on.
I have to give this one 100 here because of it’s wonderfully complex diverse flavors.

I must have never had a Shuo Mei or maybe not a good one perhaps.

ashmanra

Ooo, I LOVE shou mei! I will put this on my wish list!

TeaBrat

this sounds wonderful…

Cheri

sounds delicious.

Thomas Edward(Toad)

It is really really good :)

A sample from Angel at Teavivre. I’ve drank a fair few white teas on my journey so far, but I don’t think I even really knew they came in cake form. Once again, Teavivre broadens my tea horizons! The pouch directions specify 6-10 minutes in boiling water, so (with trepidation) I jumped in at the bottom end of the scale for my first steep.

The liquor is bright amber, very orangey. The scent is honey and hay, very thick and sweet. To taste, I picked up a distinctive (and unexpected!) mushroom flavour, and a touch of of damp leaves. So autumnal! I was expecting something more reminiscent of your average white peony blend, but this is completely different (and delicious).

On second steep, the liquor is again bright orange/amber. The main flavour this time is cinnamon, followed by the deep, rich flavour of dried apricots, rounded off with smooth, sweet honey.

Third steep, and the liquor has lost some of its amber/orange colouring. It’s now a more “ordinary” red-brown. The scent is more like I’d expect from a shou mei, quite floral (peony-like), with notes of hay and honey foremost. The flavour is, again, savoury. The damp leaf flavour from the first steep has re-emerged, and is followed by a heavy floral note, then, right at the end of the sip, a tinge of raw, green wood. There’s still a light, smooth creaminess to the overall cup that I really like.

Fourth steep also has a reddy-brown liquor, very similar to the third steep. The scent is primarily floral, like an ordinary shou mei, but with hints of wood and damp leaf. To taste, the flavour this time is noticeably more delicate than previous steeps. The main note I can detect is wood, followed by a hint of cinnamon, rounded off with the floral, peony-like flavour I’ve come to associate with white tea. It’s a tiny bit drying in the mouth — not astringent or bitter at all, but a little powdery in the aftertaste. Mid-sip, the liquor itself is still smooth.

Fifth steep, again, results in a red-brown liquor. The scent is wood and an almost dusty floral. To taste, I can detect primarily peony. It’s a reasonably mild flavour all round, but still definitely identifiable as a shou mei. The drying, powderiness is still present.

Sixth steep, and the liquor is now more of a golden brown than a red brown. The scent is lighter this time around, but I’m picking up raw wood and peony. To taste, the main note is now just plain peony. I notice that the layers of flavour are diminishing a little with successive later steeps, although I still feel like this batch of leaves has a lot to give. The dryness I noted in my previous couple of cups is becoming more pronounced.

I’m pretty sure this one could have stood more steeps, but the work day is pretty much over. I’m not going to try and take the leaves home with me (lack of a suitable container, really) so it’s goodbye for now. I have another sample pouch of this one, so I’ll try and fit a few more steeps in next time. Given that it’s entertained me all day, though, I consider it great value! I’d definitely consider buying white tea in cake form in the future.

Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for providing this sample. I really do feel like my understanding of white tea has improved since I started the sampler!

Thank you, Angel, for providing me a sample!

Brewed Western-style.

Never thought that a white tea could be pressed into a cake. I studied the chunk of cake included in my packet. An aesthetic pleasure. Varying shapes and sizes of the leaves, short twigs, earth tones mixed with silver – an instant of the big picture vs the small picture, how both are beautiful individually and as a whole. I bet the cake is something else to behold.

The dry aroma is one of those you can’t stop smelling. Rich, yet gentle. First, honey, then grapes, and, lastly, a pile of autumn leaves. Hay and cucumber dominate the wet aroma.

The liquor is the color of raw honey. Clear. Thick- and full-bodied. I taste notes of cinnamon, apples, maple syrup, honey, and influential challah bread (’tis the season for New Year). Juicy – the sweetness sticks to the roof of my mouth. Refreshing feel. This tea implores you to “stop in your tracks” and to really sense it.

I wouldn’t have thought to buy this tea on my own, thinking that it’s not “my cup of tea”. I am sure glad of these kinds of surprises. Truly enjoyable! It’s the first of its kind for me, so no rating. It’d be in the low 90s.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

The first infusion tastes light and creamy with hints of vanilla and raisin, and the second is similar but with a subtle tanginess to accompany, a bit like ginseng. The predominant flavor is of dried fruit, particularly raisin or dried apple. The third infusion I may have overbrewed a bit; it had a lot of that tanginess. By the fourth, the flavor is more mild again with some hints of vanilla and raisin, much like the first but more full and round. As the infusions go on, they continue to be full and rich and slightly tangy… a little more earthy as you go with some notes of hops popping up late in the session. I was able to push more than 10 very flavorful infusions out of this tea. If you are adventurous enough to make it that far, the 10th steeping or so tastes like onion rings from Sonic Drive-In… slightly sweet, fried, and every so slightly oniony. I’m not joking. I love it. 12+ infusions it has taken on a chamomile fragrance. Very interesting progression with this tea.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Raisins, Tangy, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

ok, let’s see if steepster will let me comment this time grumble grumble…anyway, I am definitely going to have to have a very long session with this tea to see what fun things I can taste in the later steeps.

This was a free sample from Teavivre. Thank you.

I opened the sample packet and tipped out a pile of autumn leaves. Honestly, I have never seen tea that looked so natural and unprocessed, well, apart from the obvious compression on bits of it. The leaves were brown, dry and very light in my hands. The only difference from the stuff in my garden is that these smell of honey and possibly apricots. Something fruity like that. I looked at the brewing guidelines and paused. White tea at 100C? That can’t be right. And brew it for 6-10 minutes? Surely some mistake. I checked the website. No, it was right. I had better try it at that temperature and steeping time in the first instance. I opted for a mid-range 8 minutes and watched with concern as the liquor got darker and darker. When the timer went off, the tea was a dark amber colour, more like a black tea than a white one. The honey aroma was still there though along with the fruitiness. I really need to sort out a reference collection for fruit and veg so that I can compare the teas with the collection. I’ll add it to the to-do list, right alongside getting a round to-it. I’m rambling now. Back to the tea.

I sipped with trepidation. My concerns were quickly allayed and I thought to myself “Crikey, that’s really jolly good.” It is sweet and honeyed with a touch of cinnamon and a side order of grapes. Unlike some white teas I have had, it is not cloying or too thick. Instead it is clean and smooth with a creamy consistency. The aftertaste is sweet and tingling and I can feel a slight cha qi present that is slightly relaxing. All these good things continue through the next couple of steeps too. I’ll struggle to work today between the relaxing nature of this tea and the loudly purring kitten next to me just begging to be petted.

Top job, Teavivre. Yet another good tea that I have enjoyed.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Grapes, Honey

Boiling 8 min or more 5 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

This is the first time I ever tried a tea like this, so I’m not sure if I made it correctly. It smells both like leaves and earth, and light and herby. The flavour is smooth, and mild, but seems like it could have been richer if I brewed it a little longer.

Overall, good. Thanks to Teavivre for letting me try this.

I must also thank Angel and Teavivre for this sample!

It’s been a while since I’ve tried a white tea. I’m usually focused on the bold black and Pu-erh teas which help me return to the land of the living each morning.

When I opened the sample package, the flat and clumped “cake” pieces were dark brown and reminded me of raked fall leaves that meld together in the pile after a few days of rain. The emitted odor was earthy like a Keemun black tea.

I set the tea maker on 212 degrees for nine minutes. (The recommended maximum steeping time was 10 minutes.) The brewed color of the liquor was a bright amber. The aroma was interesting and sweet. It wasn’t at all unpleasant but I struggled to identify it. I finally settled on describing it as a mixture of honey and hay.

The taste contained a sweet and medium-powered bounty of honey, hay, and green wood. This fusion was further complemented by grass with light and fresh tea components. The sum of the parts was a delightfully smooth and satisfying cup from start to finish. The aftertaste danced and rolled on my palate with no astringency in its vocabulary.

Teavivre has produced a splendid new white tea with this offering. All of the flavors blend perfectly at the right volume and seem made for each other. I could easily enjoy this selection at morning, noon, or night. Once again Teavivre has made me emerge from my black tea cocoon and be glad that I did!

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Honey, Wood

Boiling 8 min or more 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

This tea has a pleasant smell of rotten leaves when dry. You should brew it with hot water 96°C to 100°C and wait for at least 6 minutes first 3 brewings and add another 2 minutes each next time. The brewing should be quite dark for the white tea. The taste is refreshing and tonic with mild aftertaste. I liked it but in small amounts. Like the another pu-erh tea I’ve got Fengqing Ancient Tree Spring Chun Jian Raw Pu-erh it affects blood pressure and you could feel some negative effect if you have drunk too much of this tea.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Smooth

205 °F / 96 °C 6 min, 0 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Every review I have read on this one has been positive. This is another one. The leaf smells of fall leaves to me. It looks like bark flakes rather than white tea. The brew is dark honey almost ale. The taste is like sweet hay with grassy notes. Crisp and clean with a mineral fresh spring water taste under the hay. Fruity late in the sip. The taste is definite white tea though everything else about it keeps you guessing. Where silver needle and white peony to some extent are subtle and lean towards cucumber/melon, this one is bigger flavored and leans toward leaf and fruit. A nice peaceful treat on this hectic day.

i was going to pull this one out today but didn’t have a chance!

This is delicious! It’s also very interesting, kind of a cross roads of flavors & sensations.
I used 5 G for 6 minutes in a standard mug…10 oz-ish
The resulting cup reminds me of a cross between a sheng & a few of the other Heicha I’ve tried. It’s a lovely rich taste, much different from any of the other white teas I’ve had, much fuller in flavor, with a silky quality & an instant chaqi buzz, along with a potent tongue tingle, & my lips feel full & sexy, LOL. Honey, sugar cane, malt, its really very tasty & sweet, fruity even. I’m actually contemplating a cake of this…

I’m taking a break from the latest session of multitasking: a few more loads of laundry done, a few students, cleaned up the kitchen, gave my yixing their bath, & the hardest decision I have to make is which tea do I want to season with?

I’ll let you know later!

looseTman

“… a potent tongue tingle, & my lips feel full & sexy, LOL.” Oh my! Look out! Terri’s gone WILD!

“… gave my yixing their bath, & the hardest decision I have to make is which tea do I want to season with?”
How true! Is there any generally accepted wisdom on this question?