Fengqing Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2014

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 8 g 8 oz / 229 ml

2 Images

• “This Raw puer is really nice, less bitter than some other puer this young. There's a sweet overtone and the undertone is of wood and white pepper. A little lasting bitterness stays in your mouth,...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 153 tasting notes
  • “First of all, a huge thank you to *Angel* at *Teavivre* for this free sample!! I am finally getting around to trying it. Today is a grey, kind of dull looking day here, so I wanted a tea that will...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 989 tasting notes
  • “Just another manic Monday. I wish it were Sunday...Yep back to work. I'm bringing something to work with me everyday because I need to thin the cupboard. Let's face it if I'm going to campaign...” Read full tasting note
    thedjbooth 361 tasting notes
  • “This is another sample from *Angel at Teavivre*. Thank you! After flying through my cups of silver needle white tonight I thought I would enjoy one more. I reached into my teavivre sample pouch...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 422 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Original Place: Alihou Village, Desili, Mengyou, Fengqing, Yunnan.
Harvest Time: April 20 – May 15, 2014.
Tea Tree: Fengqing large leaf species, 300 to 600 years old.
Appearance: round and flat cake; the covering tissue paper is stamped with our brand logo “尋茶記”.
Dry Tea: evenly compressed leaves, full of buds and pekoes; inside equals outside.
Aroma: elegant and unique sweet fragrance.
Tea Liquid: bright yellow, clean with a shade of floating pekoes; tastes strong yet soft at the same time, carries obvious sweet aftertaste.
Spent Tea Leaves: feels soft and thick, with glossy appearance.

A TeaVivre brand raw pu-erh cake – older than 300 years, authentic pu-erh tea tree in Yunnan, high quality, and desirable taste – the Fengqing Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2014 deserves to be in your collection.

About Teavivre View company

This Raw puer is really nice, less bitter than some other puer this young. There’s a sweet overtone and the undertone is of wood and white pepper. A little lasting bitterness stays in your mouth, along with the peppery taste.

The funny thing about Puer teas is that there’s so much info out there about how you can steep it 20+ times. Granted, that’s true, the question I find myself asking when drinking a Puer tea is… do I want to?

If I can make it through 5 or 6 steepings and still be interested that’s saying something. I love the Gongfu approach to tea, but for me to really do a lot of extended infusions means it has got to be cream of the crop flavor, or it has got to have some interesting changes from one infusion to the next. Sometimes if I don’t see that really happening over the first 5 or 6 I’ll just stop there because the water I use for tea is expensive relatively speaking… it’s about 35 cents a gallon and I have to walk over a mile with a glass jug weighing over 50 pounds to get more. Thankfully I have a little cart with wheels to help me with this, but pulling it up and down hills can still be tiresome. I’m veering off course a little bit, but these are my thoughts at the moment.

Back to the tea. I like how sheng puer teas tend to mellow out after the first 4 or 5 infusions, and I think this is when I enjoy them the most. Some people rinse them at least twice before drinking to get to this point sooner, and while I don’t do that myself, I can see the appeal. As I move deeper into the infusions on this one, there’s a bit of a sweet floral taste emerging, overtaking the wood notes, but pepper is still the dominant flavor.

This was not a bad puer. It’s not as complex or suited to my tastes as many others I’ve had, but it is also agreeable and nice to drink.

Flavors: Floral, Pepper, Sweet, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

First of all, a huge thank you to Angel at Teavivre for this free sample!! I am finally getting around to trying it. Today is a grey, kind of dull looking day here, so I wanted a tea that will give me some happy cha qi, so hopefully this hits the spot!!

I am brewing this in my gaiwan, and I don’t really know what parameters to use. I covered the bottom of my gaiwan (probably a few grams of tea? I don’t know) and did a 15s rinse with boiling water, then did a 15s steeping for the first one. Oh, the dry smell is quite green and nice, with that honey-hay note that I find in some white teas, particularly aged white tea cakes. The steeped aroma is quite light for the first one, a slight honey note and some fresh green scent.

As for the flavor, it is starting out quite light. Very much like an aged white to me, there is a bit of grassiness, a chewy hay-like note, and yes, a lingering sweetness. Mostly hay so far.

I made the second steep and when I opened the gaiwan, this amazing honey scent wafted out. I absolutely love that smell, it reminds me of the first aged white tea I had, sooo good. So after a 20s steep, the flavor is becoming more pronounced and green. There is a fresh, almost cooling sensation near the end of the sip. The honey aftertaste is still there, but I am having a tougher time tasting it due to the fact I am eating lunch with it haha (leftover vietnamese, actually goes quite well with this tea, but mutes some of the sweetness).

Overall, I am enjoying this tea so far. It is an inoffensive raw pu’erh, not too crazy, not many crazy flavors that some sheng can have, just enjoyable. Not a whole lot of that fuzzy tea drunk feeling (yet haha) but more of a slightly energizing, sinus opening experience. This one feels great for my allergies so far! One of the best ones yet! I feel a warm sense of energy, but am still relaxed. Kind of weird, but I’ll roll with it haha. My mood is also improving, and the sun is starting to come out, so it’s a good combo for feeling cheerier. I plan to drink a few more steeps of this tea, then toddle down to the nearby DavidsTea and try to snag some winter blends. Hoping the lineups aren’t horrendous, my mom has already asked me to get a tin of Cocomint Cream for her (her all time favorite tea, she has been looking for a substitue for ages lol). So this tea should provide some energy to tackle that today, as well as laundry haha, as long as it doesn’t make me too tea drunk ;). Thanks again Teavivre for the opportunity to sample this lovely raw pu’erh!!

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Honey, Sweet, warm grass

Just another manic Monday. I wish it were Sunday…Yep back to work. I’m bringing something to work with me everyday because I need to thin the cupboard. Let’s face it if I’m going to campaign for new tea for gifts…or for post Christmas sales ;) I have to drink what I have first. I have to be honest say there’s not much difference between this and the Xi Gui Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2013. That’s not a bad thing either I have yet to meet a pu-erh I didn’t like. I like it. A little grassy, a little bit like raw almonds. A pretty good brew.

This is another sample from Angel at Teavivre. Thank you!

After flying through my cups of silver needle white tonight I thought I would enjoy one more. I reached into my teavivre sample pouch and just picked one. This is the one I pulled out. I tried the Lotus Leaf Raw Pu-erh. I enjoyed that one, but this one seems much smoother/sweeter. I get the tangy fruitiness and sweetness like the previous raw pu-erh. I might have to spend some more time with this tea before I can say too much more. I have enjoyed it so far and look forward to getting to know it better.

Again I am going to leave this unrated for now as I am not too familiar with raw pu-erh.

I’ll start out by thanking Angel & Teavivre for this sample.
This is a very fresh Raw Puerh, being from 2014. The aroma, upon opening the packet, is very fresh & green, like a barn full of newly baled Hay that includes Clover in the mix.

The main features of this tea are a tangy apricot fruitiness, a little grassy & brassy at first, with an instant tongue tingle. The middle steeps are a little peppery & bitter, but then it smooths out nicely.

Hubby and I have not had a quiet evening gong fu session in a while so I asked him if he was game for it tonight. He hasn’t had a lot of raw puerh, and this may be only the second one he has tried, so I didn’t know how it would go for him, especially since this one is SO young.

Raw puerh didn’t do much for me way back when, but I enjoy it much more now than I used to. And with this being a 2014, I was halfway expecting to walk away after a few steeps.

I used about 5 grams in an eight ounce pot with water that was 212F but the kettle sat beside us, so it was cooling with each steep.

I feel like I am in a strange mood tonight – I may be tea drunk – but the aroma that hit me smelled like….optimism. Bright lights ahead. Hope. Lightness of being. The initial steeps were zingy with youth, a little grassy with sunshine on top. Definitely feeling the chi with this one.

The liquor was deep, rich yellow in the little white cups. It stayed that way until about steep seven, when the color lightened considerably and the flavor became a little more milky.

I asked hubby how he felt, and he said he felt like he was winding down and felt ready for bed. This from a man who often can’t sleep and is restless for far too long considering how early he has to get up. While the tea was mellowing him, it was invigorating me. But now after two more steeps drunk alone, I am also ready to wind down and go to sleep. Happy and giddy, but sleepy.

This session has convinced me that I need to add more raw puerh to my tea stash. It is a good thing I am placing a combined Teavivre order for myself and a friend tomorrow.

Thank you, Teavivre, for this sample from your birthday pack!

Stephanie

hurray for more raw puerh fans! I love that chi feeling :)

Zen Tea Jazz and Sci Fi Books

I love raw puerrh cake :) It also puts me in slumberland quickly with peaceful dreams. I love the feeling of a restful night sleep after drinking raw puerrh :)

Angel sent me this tea for review! Thank you!! I’m so grateful to be able to sample some raw puerhs. :)

After yesterday’s excitement of the 2013 old tree raw puerh, I was looking forward to trying this one for comparison. I think some samples of raw puerh will be going on my wishlist. I again brewed this up with my pseudo gaiwan set up. Here are my notes:

Tangy aroma of dry leaf. Wet leaf aroma is more pleasant than the puerh I tried yesterday… It doesn’t make me cough! Ha!

15sec: Really mild, no astringency, tastes like a roasted oolong.
30sec: more flavor, still oolong-like, a little astringent, some tobacco there but in background.
45sec: oolong-like, subtle note of dried fruit,
1min: similar to last steep.
1min30sec: smoother, sweeter.
2min: sweet, like an aged oolong.

Overall, this is fine, but it was a bit boring for me after trying the old tree puerh. I think maybe it has to do with how young it is. Maybe once it ages for awhile, it will have more complexity. The one I loved yesterday was a year older….can they really change that much in a year? What do really old raw puerhs taste like? I’m just embarking on my raw puerh journey, and I have so many questions! So excited to try more!

TeaVivre

Glad that you tried two raw puerh to compare .This 2014 produced raw puerh taste better next year. Actually, the puerh tea is varied from time to time. And also the taste and flavor are related to the storage condition. So i don’t know what old raw puerhs taste like. But if you stored it in good condition, the tea will become more complicated and changable.
Good luck.

Tealizzy

Thanks, TeaVivre! I’ll have to try this one again after some time passes!

Thanks once again to Angel and Teavivre for this new tea sample!

I sampled another Teavivre raw Pu-erh tea cake last week. It was last year’s (2013) model but quite tasty. I was anxious to see how the 2014 version stacked up against it.

When I opened the package, the same grassy, compost-like aroma encountered with the 2013 rendition was experienced. However, I do believe the color of the unbrewed matted “cake” was a little greener in the new entry than the one harvested last year.

I steeped the leaves for 9 minutes at 212 degrees, again opting for almost maximum strength. The brewed color was a light gold. The odor had a mowed grass trait.

The taste of this tea was much like the 2013 entry. It was quite grassy with very similar flavor attributes as green tea. The main difference that I noticed with this younger offering was a tanginess to the taste. I wouldn’t call it astringency or bitterness. It was probably due to the more recent harvest and processing. The tanginess did eliminate the light and airy quality that I enjoyed in the raw 2013 tea.The tangy attribute also hung around for the after taste.

This is a cordial tea with pronounced flavor. Like the other raw Pu-erh that I sampled last week, this entry tasted much more like a green tea than a black selection. Having said that, though, this one (like the 2013 version) might be a nice tangy alternative for folks who are nauseated by the more robust and ripened Pu-erh teas.

Flavors: Grass

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Last night was just awesome, it was Thursday meaning Board Game Night at Tabletop, and it was certainly one of the better nights I have had there. I played so many good games (will be discussing some of those tomorrow on my weekly Geeky rambling post) and then after gaming just hung around with friends talking until almost 3AM. I feel wretched today and my sleep schedule is all messed up, but it is totally worth it.

Today’s tea is Fengqing Ancient Tree Raw Pu-erh Cake 2014 from Teavivre, a Sheng Pu-erh from Alihou Village in Fenging, Yunnan. The leaves were harvested in April-May of 2014 from Large Leaf trees that were 300-600 years old, making this the youngest Pu-Erh I have had the pleasure of meeting. I still have a lot to learn about Sheng Pu-erh, having only had a few examples so far. The aroma of the dry leaf is quite potent and a little pungent, but in a good way. The aroma is at first very sweet, like fresh hay and apricots, this transitions to more of a wet hay mushroom aroma with a strong honey note. There is also a very faint saltiness to it which is quite interesting.

Once I give the leaves a rinsing and then a brief steeping their aroma is still sweet and just a little bit fruity, but it is mostly wet hay, a bit of barnyard, and a sharp almost sour quality that does not really have a familiar aroma note, it is more of a sensation in my nose. I should state that it is not an unpleasant sensation, but it is an unfamiliar one. The liquid is very sweet, a mix of apricots, freshly mown hay, and honey. I was surprised at sweet it smelled.

The taste of the first steep is both sharp and sweet, it causes a very strong salivary response and an intense cooling sensation which is very refreshing. The flavor notes are freshly mown hay, apricot, and a finish of vegetation and a tiny bit of bitterness. There is a sweet honey aftertaste that lingers for a while.

Onto steep two! The aroma is sweet apricot and freshly mown hay, this still might be the sweetest smelling Sheng Pu-Erh that I have ever sniffed, I find that really kinda awesome. The taste this time around is a lot more mellow, no sharpness, no bitterness, no cooling salivary response, just smooth sweetness. The flavors are wet hay, fresh vegetation, and apricots. At the finish there is a tiny bit of camphor, which is something I do not get to say very often.

The aroma for the third steep is honey sweet, apricots, and fresh hay. There is a little touch of wet hay and barnyard this time, but it is very faint. The taste is very sweet and rich, the cooling sensation has returned along with tastes of fresh hay, honey, and apricot. I think this tea still has quite a few steeps in it, but sadly after the second steep I started noticing stomach spasms and knew after steep three that I had to call it quits. This has NOTHING to do with the tea, sometimes my stomach decides to freak out, and I have noticed that it has a mixed track record with Sheng, so don’t let my belly stop you! I really thought this tea was enjoyable, especially with how sweet it is.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/08/teavivre-fengqing-ancient-tree-raw-pu.html

Sorry, but I killed this one. I had a hard time deciding what ratio to use, and ended up with the whole packet, which was way too much, and I should not have used the whole packet with my 12 oz of water. What I could taste of it, it was like the sheng from David’s and Verdant that I’ve had.

I am thankful to Angel at Teavivre for sending this one my way. I sent the other pack to a friend to see what she thinks because she doesn’t like pu erh teas, but I told her these were different, and not the thick pu erh teas they’re likely to have had. Anway, I feel bad I busted my only sample. :(