Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Tree

Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Spices, Raisins, Cedar, Dates, Flowers, Sweet, Wood, Smoke, Baked Bread, Caramel, Grapes, Spicy, Earth, Grain, Roasted, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Water: 8oz Leaves: semi-long, black twisted leaves w/ medium brown bits Measuring Spoon: no Steep: 3m Aroma: Classic Color: yellow-orange Clarity: great Taste: Finally back with another review! I...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 112 tasting notes
  • “Happy Monday tea world! This past weekend was very enjoyable and I believe sets up a trend, a trend that will hold until late July, my weekends will be taken up watching fighting games. Yes, the...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 874 tasting notes
  • “This is a complex tea. I get a number of different notes. Fruity, malt, spices, honey, brown sugar, dried fruit and molasses. I also seem to get a chocolate note. This is an interesting and tasty...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 1332 tasting notes
  • “Surprisingly light, fruity and floral! Taste makes me think of a bag of assorted dried fruits. I can’t wax on poetically like some do so well, but this is a nice different cup of black tea...” Read full tasting note
    happykappa 75 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Enjoy this cup of top grade and elegant Yunnan Dian Hong Black Tea
Origin Place: Xiaowan & Pinghe, Fengqing County, Yunnan
Harvest Time: April 30, 2014
Dry Tea: tight and wiry with plenty tips, even shape, dark and smooth.
Tea Liquid: bright in orange yellow color.
Flavor: strong floral fragrance, tastes mellow, rich and full with strong sweet aftertaste.
Tea Leaf: after brewed, the tea leaf is complete and glossy.
This Ancient Wild Tree black tea comes from Fengqing, Yunnan. The tea garden is at 2000 meters high, is renowned as a good place of growing good tea.
The local tea tree is Fengqing large leaf species, can produce thick tea leaf. Our Ancient Wild Tree black tea then has large, strong leaves. The dry tea is glossy and dark, covered with thin pekoes. Its full aroma and bold taste can be revealed when brewed, as well as the particular strong taste which brings a characteristic of raw pu-erh to this black tea.
Yunnan Province has an abundant resource of wild tea trees, some of which have been lived for over a thousand years. These trees are protected and regarded as treasures to live to this day.
Wild tea trees are often used for making pu-erh tea and black tea. For making black tea, the result product can have a very distinct combined feature of Yunnan’s black tea and Yunnan’s pu-erh. Just as the name indicates, this black tea is made of the leaves from ancient wild tea tree. Being processed in the traditional way of crafting Dian Hong tea, this wild tree black tea has been given a unique charm of being bold but delicate.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz

Leaves: semi-long, black twisted leaves w/ medium brown bits

Measuring Spoon: no

Steep: 3m

Aroma: Classic

Color: yellow-orange

Clarity: great

Taste: Finally back with another review! I hope you all had a great holiday, i spent mine with family/friends & saw fireworks from my house. Finished off the night with a delicious dinner. Now on to the tea the feel of this tea was smooth. Taste wise it was very light with no bitterness present.

Hope you all have a great week!

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Happy Monday tea world! This past weekend was very enjoyable and I believe sets up a trend, a trend that will hold until late July, my weekends will be taken up watching fighting games. Yes, the season for watching FGC tournaments on the weekends is underway and I am so full of hype. I am very fond of fighting games, even if I am absolutely horrid at them, long ago in my youth I was an unstoppable force at Mortal Kombat, but my tendons and arthritis hate me meaning no more fighting games or beat’em ups for me, so to get my fix I watch champions play it at a professional level. I don’t really do standard sports, but I sooo get into fighting games!

It has been a while since I had a Teavivre week on the blog, so this week will be all Teavivre, starting out with Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Tree Black Tea. This is a hong cha from my favorite region for red teas, Yunnan! This specific Dianhong comes from Fengqing, the garden is high and the mountain and these large leafed trees are quite old, it is said in the description that it picks up notes of both Dianhong and Sheng Puerh, and I have loved reds that have that quality. The leaves are large and wiry, and very dark, and this means it is time to give it a healthy sniffing. The aroma of the leaves is very malty and rich, strong notes of chocolate and slightly woody with notes of molasses, honey, and leather. It starts with a heavy richness and ends with a sharpness and a touch of distant roses.

Conveniently my gaiwan is wide so can handle the longest of the leaves, no breaking needed. The aroma of the soggy leaves has notes of malt and sharp woodiness, chocolate and leather with gentle black pepper and a ghostly intoxicating rose. It is like the idea of roses rather than sniffing an actual rose. The liquid is very sweet, oh it is quite intense, notes of honey and chocolate with roses and malt and a rich underlying molasses. Woody undertones and leather are also there, but adding a nice heaviness to the sweetness.

The first steep is light and gentle, the mouthfeel and taste have a summer breeze quality, being light and refreshing with a gentle touch of cooling. The tasting starts with molasses and cocoa notes, this moves to a slightly dry tobacco, woody and leather note, The finish is woody with a sweet nectar rose like quality. The rose is like the aroma, it is light and sweet but more the idea than an exact taste of rose, it is ghostly.

Moving right along to the second steep, because I do love my Dianhongs! The aroma is surprisingly floral, strong notes of roses and even a touch of wildflowers. It is like sniffing a chocolate covered rose, and it is heady and sweet. This steep’s mouthfeel starts smooth and a bit thick with a middle of dry and a finish of smooth slickness. Tasting the tea starts with woody notes and molasses sweetness, then it moves to tobacco and chocolate, but really the finish is the kicker. Notes of roses and honey with milk chocolate dance down my throat and the rose lingers for so long. This might be the most intense aftertaste I have run into with a Dianhong and I love it!

It is no secret that I love teas with a heavy rose note, especially ones that come about it naturally and not by scenting or blending, I am not sure why but of all the various oddball notes that show up in tea rose is the one that seems most magical. The taste of this steep does not change much, the main difference being stronger woody notes and a slightly earthier middle, but wow, the aftertaste on this steep is persistent. I timed it between steeps, how long the rosy aftertaste lingered, it was a full 12 minutes, which was impressive! I was able to get several more steeps out of this tea before it called it quits, while not being the most chocolaty or rich of all the various Dianhongs I chug, it certainly is the most unadulterated rosy which I loved.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/03/teavivre-nonpareil-yunnan-dian-hong.html

This is a complex tea. I get a number of different notes. Fruity, malt, spices, honey, brown sugar, dried fruit and molasses. I also seem to get a chocolate note. This is an interesting and tasty tea that I am just getting around to trying. Bought it with my last order during their sale on oolong. I’m afraid it only got brewed western style. I’m too lazy to brew gongfu at five in the morning when I can’t sleep.

I brewed this once in a 16oz Glass Teavana Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 190 degree water for 3 min.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Chocolate, Dried Fruit, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Spices

3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Myssy

This is my favorite black tea from Teavivre

Surprisingly light, fruity and floral! Taste makes me think of a bag of assorted dried fruits. I can’t wax on poetically like some do so well, but this is a nice different cup of black tea from what I’m accustomed to. Tempted to keep some around depending on how the rest of my Teavivre samples go.

I think I’ve had this a few times but I’m still figuring out the steeping parameters. Tried it yesterday and today with 1 tsp per cup at 90C. At 3 minutes it was kind of bland, but at 4 it was kind of funky.

Should I overleaf? Underleaf? Still not sure.

I like the smell of the dry leaf though – it’s got a chocolaty note that reminds me of Jin Jun Mei.

This doesn’t seem like a typical dian hong to me. It’s really sweet and quite fruity. A little grape a little malt and a little strange. Not my favorite but happy to have tried it.
Thanks Sil for the sample.

gotta try them all! ;)

Dexter

Yep. Best part of the adventure finding the hits and misses. :)

Myssy

My favorite from Teavivre

Tealizzy

I love the fruitiness of this one!

Backlog.

Another sample from Angel at Teavivre, for which I am phenomenally grateful.

So, catching up with writing up the teas once more, I find myself coming to my notes on this one. I brewed it in a gaiwan for a change and felt the extra effort was well worth it.

Upon adding water to the leaf I was immediately hit by a waft of malt and raisins, and the resultant liquor was very dark. It tasted primarily of malt and raisins with a pleasing bitterness at the back of the throat. Apart from this bitterness, the main experience was smooth and mellow, developing more rounded fruity notes as it cooled. There was a hint of winter berries in the colder brew supported by notes of allspice that gave it a Christmassy feel. The aftertaste was thick and sweet. Overall, yet another tea that I would be happy to have in my cupboard in quantity.

Flavors: Fruity, Malt, Raisins, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 7 g 6 OZ / 170 ML
mrmopar

Hellow Mr R ! Been missin ya on here!

Roughage

Thanks, mrmopar. I’ve been reading but not writing lately. Lost my writing mojo but I’m hoping to get it back on track, because I have several more Teavivre teas to write up.

mrmopar

Yah I need to clear my back log. Training new employees at work takes a bunch of my time lately.

Roughage

It’s all job and funding applications for me. Kills the desire to write about much else.

Thanks to Angel at teavivre for this free sample! I didn’t log my first cup of this apparently and didn’t pay a ton of attention to my cup this morning lol so I will write a more detailed note later! This was fruity, malty, a bit sweet, and really good. A good feeling after drinking it and it wasn’t a heavy black tea. So far, yum! And yes, a more detailed note later :)

Tealizzy

Love this one!

Another delicious haute black from China. It’s somewhat hard to believe how the flood of mediocrity coming out of that land permanently tarnished our expectations regarding all things Chinese. Fortunately, worthy companies such as Teavivre are working hard to dispel the negative stereotypes…

I have not always been thrilled with Dian Hong teas, but the key words here appear to be ancient wild tree. Very tasty indeed—both the first and the second infusion. This is the sort of fine black tea which makes one wonder why in the world anyone would ever have thought to add flavors or cream…

Here I go with another sample from Teavivre. I believe I only have one more left to try after this one. It is a happy/sad moment. I like having new possibly delicious teas on the horizon but I also like having sampled them all so I know what is the best for me. The dry leaf on this one is similar to yesterday’s (nonpareil yunnan dian hong chinese red black tea) but has more of a malt and molasses note. Maybe sweet potatoes, but I actually don’t like sweet potatoes so I rarely let my brain smell it in a tea.

I steeped this one about 2 minutes, as it had a shorter recommended steep time on the package. Again, I used nearly boiling water, and half the sample packet. The steeped aroma is very much like a classic bagged tea. It smells strong and bitter, like builder’s tea. I assume this is one of those aroma tricks that tea does.

First sips more closely match the dry leaf aroma. I am getting some molasses type sweetness, some rich cocoa, richer than anticipated. It is also malty, and boldly flavoured but not bitter or astringent. It is really bold, and if it weren’t for the lack of bitterness, I would actually think this wasn’t a Chinese tea!

I do like it well enough, but it isn’t especially remarkable to me. A good Chinese black tea to sip on, but not one that makes me sit up and take notice. If you are considering between this and the the Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Chinese Red Black Tea, I say go with the other. If you’re looking for a generally solid cuppa that you don’t have to think about, go for this one. Still yummy, just not as impressive as some other Teavivre offerings.