Yunnan Palace Ripened Pu-erh Loose Tea 2005

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Earth, Mushrooms, Floral, Leather, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Sipper
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 oz / 185 ml

• “What with one late summer thing and another, I haven’t been tasting too many new teas and certainly have not had time to write ’em up over the last few weeks. I’ll try to rectify that over the...” Read full tasting note
    hillel 22 tasting notes
  • “I've been on a tea-buying spree lately, and today a dozen sample-sizes that I ordered from TeaVivre arrived (as always, they have the fastest shipping time, no idea how they do it), and this was...” Read full tasting note
    janchi 17 tasting notes
  • “First of all, I started a session with this at 2am. I might not be easily affected by caffeine, but even I have a feeling that this was a bad idea. Plus, I really don't like being the first to...” Read full tasting note
    Mandyyyy 246 tasting notes

Yunnan large leaf species, 100 years old

■ Harvest Time: 2005
■ Production Date: 2005

Flavor:
mellow and full, tastes smooth with rich aroma

Tea Leaf:
glossy and soft after brewed,
has obvious tea buds, carries a unique fragrance of ripened pu-erh tea.

Tea Liquid:
bright and clean in brown color.

Summary:
As one of the four famous tea producing area, Lincang is renowned for its representative pu-erh tea. In its name 临沧 (lín cāng), the临 means “near to” in Chinese, and 沧 refers to the Lancang River. The good name suggests the unique natural condition where our Yunnan Palace Ripened Pu-erh Loose Tea 2007 comes from. Today, TeaVivre is going to introduce this tea for you.
The highest-yielding tea area in Yunnan is Lincang, which covers a total area of 24,469 sq. km, among which the acreage of tea production is about 443.51 sq. km. It has long been regarded as the hometown of Yunnan large leaf species tea and the birthplace of tea plant. Because of its peculiar geographical condition, Lincang is much favorable for the large leaf species.

Yunnan large leaf species is the best material for making pu-erh. Tea cakes made of this species have a large quantity of golden buds. Looking at them, people cannot help but associating its yellow color with the imperial palace in ancient China.

About Teavivre View company

What with one late summer thing and another, I haven’t been tasting too many new teas and certainly have not had time to write ’em up over the last few weeks. I’ll try to rectify that over the coming long weekend and moving forward. I’ve got a whole box of teas that are crying out for some attention.

I’ll start with Tea Vivre’s Yunnan Palace Ripened Pu-ehr 2005 (with apologies to the pu-ehr mavens who could no doubt do a much clearer analysis). So far, I’ve done four steeps: 30/30/45/60 at boiling; I used about half of the sample package in my small gaiwan. The wet leaves are very mushroomy and earthy, as I’d expect a pu-ehr to be, but . . .
1: dark caramel color, almost a sweet nose, with a much lighter and dryer flavor than I’d expected given the odor.
2: much darker liquor, slightly caramel odor. It had the more familiar shen flavor – really earthy – but it was smooth and not heavy at all.
3: do I smell steak?! That would be particularly weird, considering I’ve been a vegetarian since my teen years, but it really seems like that’s the odor (though I have to wonder if it was affected by the onions I was sautéing as I was sipping). Still very smooth texture.
4: again with the dry taste and somewhat flattening out. I’ll let it rest now till tomorrow and see what happens then.

Altogether a fine brew, though it doesn’t knock my socks off. I’ll enjoy the rest of the sample, but I don’t think this is one I’ll stock.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth, Mushrooms

0 min, 45 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I’ve been on a tea-buying spree lately, and today a dozen sample-sizes that I ordered from TeaVivre arrived (as always, they have the fastest shipping time, no idea how they do it), and this was the first one I decided to try.

I used about half of one of the packs – I think that’s about 3-4g, and brewed it in about 200ml boiling water for short 30 second-1 minute steeps.

I was surprised at how light the flavour is in this; all the cooked puerhs I’ve had so far have been much stronger, with very defined scents and tastes, but this one was very delicate. It still has the leather smell I’ve come to associate with cooked puerh, but it was more of a hint of old, faded leather.

The taste is sweet, and a bit floral, and the tea had a nice calming, drifting effect on me.

This is the first cooked puerh loose-leaf (not compressed) I’ve had, so I wonder if its lightness is because of that?

I’ve put this in the ‘maybe’ box for when I come to choose my faves of all the sample-size puerhs I’m trying; it was wonderful to drink, and more refreshing than the heavier shou puerhs I’ve tried.

Flavors: Floral, Leather, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

First of all, I started a session with this at 2am. I might not be easily affected by caffeine, but even I have a feeling that this was a bad idea. Plus, I really don’t like being the first to write a tasting note on a tea, even though I seem to be in this position a lot lately. But, I really wanted to try this pu.

So, this smells similar to most other puerhs do to me, musty earthy pond watery. But, I still go mmm when I smell it, because I know what that smell means. Yummy pu! I used the whole 7g sample, to 8oz of boiling water. 2 15 second rinses, and then 20,30,45 second steeps. The color is dark red tinted brown, but not totally opaque and inky. It’s light enough that it looks more brown than black.

This is soft smooth mellow. Not as intense as many other puerhs I’ve had, this is like the quiet cousin. Earthy caramel, maybe some mushrooms. It’s gentle, it takes you by the hand and says follow me, while it carefully pulls you out in a current of puerh tranquility. Shh no worries, no problems, just bob along in the ebbs of the puerh sea.

Tangent time
Have you guys ever just stopped. Stopped and really thought about how vast our universe is.

There’s you, you’re in your home, in your neighborhood, in your city, in your country, on earth, and then the earth is in our solar system and every which way is the Milky Way, and then Milky Way is surrounded by other entire galaxy’s in our local group, and then our local group is just a drop of water in an entire ocean of other galaxy cluster within the observable universe.

You’re you, you’re a person with an entire complex life that collides with so many other complex lives, and yet in the scale of the universe, you’re so insignificant that it’s almost impossible to fathom how small of part you are of the whole.

Sorry, it’s late so my minds already running rampant, and combined with the tranquil feeling I’m getting from this puerh, I’m getting a little philosophical.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Lariel of Lórien

Your tangent made me think of this…

TheTeaFairy

I liked your tangent…and yes, pu’erh will do that to you.