Lapsang Souchong Wild Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cream, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Meat, Molasses, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Tart, Thick, Cocoa, Fruity, Orange, Orange Zest, Spices, Umami, Candy, Yams, Wet Earth, Winter Honey, Yeast, Chocolate, Maple Syrup, Raisins, Tea, Black Currant, Blackberry, Raspberry, Berries, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Rose, Tangy
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Another Teavivre winner! This one is really bready/yeasty, and has a bit of a savory quality to it. It’s also incredibly sweet and honey-like (more of an avocado honey). This one is also quite...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! (23 | 96) I’ve been neglecting my straight black tea samples. Well no more! This is very yummy. It has a rich malty, bready flavor and a thick body. There’s a little touch of savory...” Read full tasting note
  • “Happy National Compliment Day! Unsmoked Lapsang Souchong is one of my very favorite teas! I’ve technically reviewed this before, under the listing for Dazzle Deer (as I hadn’t realized at the time...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is tasty! I’ve always steered clear of Lapsang Souchong due to the smokiness, but when this one was clearly marked unsmoked, I had to pick up a sample. The flavours here are malty cut...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Lapsang Souchong Wild Black Tea (Yesheng Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong)

Origin: Wuyi Mountain, Fujian
Dry leaves: leaves are thick, robust, tightly rolled taut strips, smelling of very strong pleasant Longan aroma.
Brewed liquor: Gives a bright, reddish orange, transparent color.
Taste note: strong flavor of honey & caramel aroma, smooth and rich mouthfeel, leaving an impression of sweet potato warmth.

Lapsang Souchong Wild Black Tea is also called Cai Cha Lapsang Souchong by the local people. You may assume all Lapsang Souchong teas tasted bitter or have smudging flavor if you have some knowledge about the traditional drying process using the pine tree to make Lapsang Souchong Black Tea. But this time, your intuition tells a lie. As a kind of high-quality & semi-wild tea, this type has amazing characteristics and taste not bitter at all.

Unlike other wild teas, Teavivre’s wild Lapsang Souchong gives a strong dried longan aroma, smooth drinking feeling without any stimulus or any astringency when passing through your throat. The unusual wild undertone, mellow taste and reddish liquid brought by the traditional rolling procedure contribute to its exotic flavor. Once you drink it, you may never forget about it.

About Teavivre View company

Another Teavivre winner! This one is really bready/yeasty, and has a bit of a savory quality to it. It’s also incredibly sweet and honey-like (more of an avocado honey). This one is also quite thick and rich.

2069 tasting notes

Sipdown! (23 | 96)

I’ve been neglecting my straight black tea samples. Well no more!

This is very yummy. It has a rich malty, bready flavor and a thick body. There’s a little touch of savory that reminds me of smoked meat or something similar. But also here is a creamy, starchy honeyed sweet potato sprinkled with dark muscovado sugar, and a tart yet deep syrupy dried cherry note.

Such an interesting combination of flavors! It’s a highly satisfying tea that makes me feel as if I’ve just eaten a small meal. And the sweet potato with the dried fruit and deep sugar tastes like autumn in a cup!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Cinnamon, Cream, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Meat, Molasses, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Tart, Thick

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
Mastress Alita

I love this one! I always taste something that reminds me of BBQ meat marinade or sweet n sour sauce from the combined smoke/honey/orange flavors in Chinese blacks!

Cameron B.

I’m glad I’m not the only one with meat connotations, lol!

derk

GUH wild lapsang

LuckyMe

I don’t drink black tea often but this one is memorable. Best unsmoked lapsang I’ve ever had.

I’ve technically reviewed this before, under the listing for Dazzle Deer (as I hadn’t realized at the time they wholesaled from Teavivre), though I’m fairly certain that was a 2017 harvest (review is here: https://steepster.com/mastressalita/posts/379074 ). This is an April 2018 harvest of the same tea, which I bought from Path of Cha, which, like Dazzle Deer, also wholesales a small selection of Teavivre items, so you don’t have to buy freaking 100g at a time (which I refuse to do).

Used 2.5g of tea for 350ml 195F water, steeped for 3 minutes. The aroma of the steeped tea is warm spices, honeyed oranges, and a slight smokiness that, when combined with the sweet citrusy scent, reminds me of BBQ sauce.

The flavor is warm and inviting. It’s a bit malty/bready, with a lovely light smokiness, and some notes of sweet potatoes, honey, orange peel, and a very subtle hint of cocoa. It has such a lovely, smooth liquor.

While I don’t like this unsmoked lapsang as much as the sample I had from Whispering Pines once (that particular one had this amazing rose note to it), this is still a staple Chinese black for me.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Orange, Orange Zest, Smooth, Spices, Sweet Potatoes, Umami

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I didn’t know they sold one! Funny enough, I ordered some from the Trident Cafe in Colorado and What-Cha. They’re probably hands down my top black teas with Taiwanese ones.

Leafhopper

Mastress Alita, I saw it on Teavivre’s website, but like you, I didn’t want to order 100 g of an unfamiliar tea. Maybe I’ll get a sample in my next order. I also ordered some from What-Cha, and based on the smell, it’ll be good. Yunnan Sourcing has some nice unsmoked lapsangs as well.

I adore this tea!

Mastress Alita

I haven’t tried any others besides the Teavivre and a (long ago) Whispering Pines offering, but I would always be down to try more unsmoked/wild lapsangs!

@Leafhopper: At the very least, 25g and 50g sizes of several of Teavivre’s offerings (though nowhere near their whole catalog) can be obtained from Path of Cha, which is what I did. I just can’t go through the giant bags they sell to order direct. (I really wish more tea sites would stop making 100g/4oz minimum purchase sizes…)

Inkling

Pretty sure this was the first unsmoked lapsang I ever tried and it was so tasty!

Leafhopper

Mastress Alita, Path of Cha charges $20 for international shipping, so it’s not really an option for me. Teavivre may give me too much tea, but at least the shipping is usually free! I agree with you that 100 g is just way too much leaf unless you’re drinking it regularly, so I usually order their premium teas, which come in a more manageable 50 g size.

The flavours here are malty cut through with hints of a coppery-ness, or perhaps brightened honey.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 OZ / 414 ML
LuckyMe

I’m not a huge black tea fan but this is one of the more memorable blacks I’ve had. Wish I had bought more than just a sample.

Courtney

I only have a wee sample left, maybe 2-cups worth, but I’m not in love with it sadly. But I have many black teas I do love, so it seems we’re the opposite!

DIY Advent Calendar – Day 22

Sipdown (320)

Thank you for sharing this one with me Sil. I noticed the smell of it was not overly smokey but instead it had almost a malty cocoa smell. That took me by surprise. And when it continued through the taste I was even more surprised. So surprised that I even checked the package to make sure it was the right tea. This is my surprise favorite of the day! It’s just so cocoa-y and bready. If someone brewed this for me and didn’t tell me what it was, I would never guess it’s a lapsang. There is hardly any smoke at all. Plus, it’s reminding me a lot of Jiri Horse by teabento. Yum!

Courtney

Ooh love this! I’ve not ever looked up Lapsang, but just assumed all are smoky and avoid at all costs haha! I’ll have to look closer from now on.

ashmanra

Courtney – unsmoked lapsang is one of the dreamiest black teas ever!

Courtney

ashmanra Now I have to find some! Did you have any suggestions?

ashmanra

This one, same as this review! It looks like they don’t have it in the US warehouse right now, but it is worth the wait.

Leafhopper

Yunnan Sourcing has some nice unsmoked Lapsangs with floral, sweet potato, and cocoa notes. My favourite unsmoked Lapsang comes from TheTea.pl, and is full of citrus, flowers, and jammy red fruit. It singlehandedly turned me on to Fujian black teas.

VariaTEA

Courtney, I second @ashmanra that this tea is worth the wait

Mastress Alita

Unsmoked Lapsang is my favorite kind of tea, while I can’t even tolerate the smoked kind as it is a migraine trigger for me!

Courtney

Thanks everyone! I’ll favourite these to look at! ashmanra and VariaTEA, of course I just placed a Teavivre order haha, but it sounds perfect since it’s not in stock yet!

Leafhopper sweet potato and cocoa notes are some of my favourites!

Mastress Alita That’s great! I can’t handle any smokiness at all either, and often find it in things nobody else seems too!

Martin Bednář

Unsmoked Lapsang… I had from White2Tea as a sample with my order two and something years ago.

Backlog – sipdown actually 6/16
unsmoked version of this tea
small twisty leaves that smell of chocolate
2min, 205F
chocolate

dry smells – bready, yam, cocoa
1. 3min 212F – yam, cocoa, fruit
2. 3 min 200F – fruit, sweet, coating as it cools
3. 4 min 200F – candy sweetness, fruit, juicy, small sour note in background.

It’s a better at a little lower temperature. But this tea is pretty old now and a lot of the flavor has been lost. Still I wonder, why would you smoke this tea? I might order some more to try.

Flavors: Candy, Cocoa, Fruity, Sweet, Yams

ashmanra

I love this tea. It is really great unsmoked.

hawkband1

I was surprised at how much I liked this. The smoked Lapsang seems like a waste. I have some and I’ll never drink it. Way too strong :(

12032 tasting notes

tea from earlier this morning. On my own today and tomorrow for the most part to get whatever i can done around the house that isn’t super strenuous. Though husband dearest would prefer it if i just spent the weekend reading and playing video games while drinking tea. heh. I just can’t bring myself to do nothing to help us get organised. it’s not in my nature. Started the day with this one and it was a really pleasant cup. started out with notes of cocoa in it, and as it cooled became a little more fruity. Still a good cup :)

gmathis

How are you feeling?

Doing really well. I have very little to complain about. In to week 34, still working and getting around, just a lot slower than I’d like haha. Sleeping still for the most part and no major aches. :) Bean is treating mama well.

ashmanra

This is a fantastic tea. Bean will have such good taste.

Have you ever tried a tea so bad that it traumatized you for the entire variety and you thought you’d never drink one again?

I felt that way about Lapsand Souchong until I tried this one.

Unlike every other one I’ve tried, “smokey” is not the first word that comes to mind. Instead, it reminds me rather of the smell of boiling wort (beer being made before it becomes alcohol): yeast, molasses, malt, and a hint of something slightly earthy and infinitely pleasant.

The flavor hits the front of my tongue with a smooth, coating sense of buttery-ness, turning to the sweet flavor of warm molasses as it hits the middle. By the back, I get a mild astringency and loam-y scent and flavor.

From being horrified by lapsangs in general, this tea has totally turned me around! I’d be happy to have it on my shelves.

Flavors: Malt, Molasses, Sweet, Wet Earth, Winter Honey, Yeast

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Today I was craving a good black iced tea. This… is really good!
I brewed it hot and poured it between a few containers to cool it down before pouring it over ice. It’s just as great of an experience, but different. I will need to make this more often, now that I have my own supply of wild unsmoked Lapsang Souchong! The malt is very strong, and so are the sweet honey notes. Mmm!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Sweet

Kawaii433

I can’t wait to try this one. I have it in stock. Working on sipdowns right now. >.<

Mastress Alita

It’s a good one. I haven’t tried it iced yet, but I’ve been sipping down an ice wine flavored black at the moment.

Lately I’ve been trying to finish off some of my samples, and avoid buying tons of new tea for a little while, but I’ll definitely get this when the opportunity appears. I’m finding I really love teas from the Fuijan region, because they seem to have that chocolatey/sweet profile I like so much. I expected this one to be smokey, since I think I’ve only ever had smoked lapsang souchong, but it’s instead a soft, toasty flavor. I loved it utterly.