Anji Bai Cha Green Tea

Asparagus, Celery, Chestnut, Citrus, Fruity, Grass, Smooth, Umami, Vegetal
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I had read that one of the reasons Anji Bai Cha is so healthy for you is because less of the theanine is converted to chlorophyll, and therefore, it has a much higher theanine content, ~3-4% higher...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Is Anji Bai Cha a white tea?

No – the name of this tea is understandably confusing, but in reality this tea is a Hong Qing-process type of green, non-fermented tea. The name contains ‘white tea’, bai cha, because it is made from a special tea species, Bai Ye No. 1. In the month or so of spring each year when the average daily temperature is below 23 degrees, the leaves of this species remain chlorophyll-deficient, resulting in a yellow-white appearance – and tea picked from these bushes during this period will retain that color throughout both drying and brewing. The color is a unique feature of this Anji Bai Cha green tea.

This tea was picked prior to Gu Yu with the one-bud, one/two-leaf standard. Compared to other green teas, Anji Bai Cha is particularly rich in amino acids, lending it both a full-bodied taste as well as a soothing effect on the drinker.

When brewing we recommend using a transparent glass teapot and cup, so that you can watch the leaves stretch and unfurl as they brew. The tea itself is sweet, mellow, and smooth, with a notable umami note as well.

About Teavivre View company

1 Tasting Note

I had read that one of the reasons Anji Bai Cha is so healthy for you is because less of the theanine is converted to chlorophyll, and therefore, it has a much higher theanine content, ~3-4% higher than most green teas. Theanine has lots of health benefits, if curious, there is a lot of data on it. I personally like the relaxation aspect but it doesn’t make you sleepy at all. Adds concentration and mental alertness.

The dry leaves are long and slender, a pale green, sharp looking. The dry leaves had a slightly grassy aroma, and the extremely pale yellow-greenish liquor also had a slightly grassy aroma with hints of fruits, citrus.

Deeply umami. Rich and smooth mouthfeel. Slightly nutty, maybe chestnut. Definitely vegetal: Asparagus, celery, green beans, some soybean notes. Don’t quote me but I believe the high presence of amino acids also contribute to this thick mouthfeel, the brothy-ness, a little sweetness in some infusions, and alas, a complex tea. It’s full of amino acids that help lower cortisone, therefore reducing stress levels.

Very nice.

Flavors: Asparagus, Celery, Chestnut, Citrus, Fruity, Grass, Smooth, Umami, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
tea-sipper

I just received my tin of Dragon Well from teavivre today that I won during their Black Friday giveaway. I’m so thrilled.. especially as the tin is beautiful and somehow I have managed to miss all their tins so far with all the Teavivre I have acquired. :D

Kawaii433

That’s great! Congratulations on the win :D. I really love they Dragon Well too.