Special Gunpowder China Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by seule771

• “A review of Special Gunpowder China Green Tea by Temple of Heaven Company: Temple of Heaven Tea Name: Special Gunpowder China Green Tea Tea Type/Varietal: Green Region: Shanghai...” Read full tasting note
    seule771 600 tasting notes
  • “Still not qualified to rate this one yet. I brewed up a nice strong cup of this baby today...to mix with rum, lemon juice, and honey. I'm sick sick sick; having caught a cold the Thursday before...” Read full tasting note
    bunnymonster 52 tasting notes
  • “I bought this tea in my local grocery store for $0.99/100g. Yep, really that cheap. So how does it taste for the price? In my opinion, pretty darn good. I wouldn't say it's THE BEST green tea...” Read full tasting note
    AwesomeBioTA 115 tasting notes

From Temple Of Heaven

Temple of Heaven
Special Gunpowder China Green Tea
Product of the People’s Republic of China
Shanghai Tiantan International Trading Co, Ltd.

About Temple Of Heaven View company

Region: Shanghai China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light yellow-green
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are tightly rolled pellets and smelling of smoke…roasted scent and when brewed leaves a fuller and smelling of spinach. Actually when brewed they do look like a plate of spinach. The Chinese call these small pellets “Pearl Tea”.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 190 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

This tea I purchased during my visit to the Living Earth market in Worcester, MA. It was very inexpensive and a gem in a little box. When I opened the box I thought I would find powder tea; I was pleasantly surprised to see it was leaves medium-finely crunched.

I took 1 teaspoon of the leaves and put this in my cup and add the boiled water into my cup. I leave it to steep for several minutes; after sometime, I take the tea and spoon out the leaves; they are somewhat fuller and look like spinach.

The teas’ aroma is that of green veggies and smells mildly astringent; tea’s color is light green with a yellow base and with longer steeps the tea is a golden brown. Tea tastes mild and smooth with a nutty flavor. It only gets bitter when tea leaves are left for longer in the cup as I tend to do; from being lazy in having to remove the tea leaves.

I had read and heard so much of gunpowder tea that it was a treat to finally see it in a store and the pricing was right as well; I did wonder why it was so inexpensive however. It is a good cup of refreshing green tea and I am happy to finally have sampled and purchase it.

I am fortunate this year since I have been able to experience finer teas than before.

seule771

I submitted this review two months pass and someone likes it recently; I am odd aren’t I? Cold

Elizabeth

Hi! Well, I’m the new “liker,” and was happy to see that someone had reviewed this tea. I just found it at an Asian grocery yesterday, and brought it home. Looking forward to my first steep!

Still not qualified to rate this one yet. I brewed up a nice strong cup of this baby today…to mix with rum, lemon juice, and honey. I’m sick sick sick; having caught a cold the Thursday before last, getting the flu last Monday, having my cold worsen this past Thursday, study and take my pediatrics final (Friday night, and Saturday morning respectively), then have the cold get even worse (somehow) last night. So, it was definitely time for a hot toddy today.
My regular 12 oz. cup of tea made with two big teaspoons of this gunpowder,
about an ounce and a half of rum, a squirt of lemon juice (a slice of lemon is best), and a tablespoon of local honey. Yum. Soothes the throat.

In my opinion, pretty darn good. I wouldn’t say it’s THE BEST green tea I’ve had, because it’s certainly not. It has a bit of a bitter after-taste no matter how long you steep it, and has a bit of strange colour after steeping. It has a bit of a “mouthy” feel while drinking that’s hard to describe. But for 99 cents? You can’t beat it.

I like to mix this tea with some dried fruit (or even fruit-based teas) to give it a bit of a flavour-kick. Dried apple and mango are especially good. The smoky flavour of the tea is nicely balanced by the sweetness of the fruit. I don’t put sweetner in it whether it’s straight or mixed with fruit.