Tiger Monk

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Grass, Malt, Roasted Barley, Cocoa, Honey, Stonefruits, Wood, Cream, Flowers, Ocean Breeze, Seaweed
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I have to admit that I have difficulty western brewing Oolong's ( I only have one that I brew that way on any regular basis). There is something about the complexity of tastes, the spice and the...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 349 tasting notes
  • “I admit, I did not steep this according to the directions. Once I saw that the flavor was supposed to be smokey, I knew 6 minutes would be too much for me. Instead I have done several infusions....” Read full tasting note
    Zimaleah501 255 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Toast! I love the sweet, nutty, roasty-toasty flavor of this tea. It also has a nice creamy note to it. Later infusions, I began to discover some peach-like notes, notes of charcoal,...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes
  • “I received this as a sample - a very delicious tea. The dry tea reminds me of Milk Oolong -- tight little buds. The taste and smell of the tea is reminiscent of a roasty big red robe only more...” Read full tasting note
    Cherabee 22 tasting notes

From Temple Road

Inspired from the power, strength, and courage of the Tiger Warrior Monk in the great and millennial tradition of Chinese martial arts, the distinct woody and smoky aromas of this triple roast, medium fermentation, high mountain oolong tea combine with exquisite balance to create this strong, rugged yet smooth taste. Aroma: Smoke, Wood, Wheat Flavor: Strong, Deep, Malt

About Temple Road View company

I have to admit that I have difficulty western brewing Oolong’s ( I only have one that I brew that way on any regular basis). There is something about the complexity of tastes, the spice and the warmth it produces in my body that compels me to play with the tea and deconstruct its flavours. I’ve had this sample for a while but have only recently had the time and the health to fully appreciate it.

This is a lovely tea it has a wonderful mix of dark honey, fruit, a variety of floral tones, cured pine, roasted charcoal note, corn, and a variety of savoury vegetable notes. I absolutely enjoyed it and could easily see myself purchasing some in the future. Thank you very much to Temple Road for sharing this tea with me.

I must be impressed with the quality of the packaging of temple road tea as even this sample was packed with a dessication packet to control the moisture levels of the tea.

The dry tea is composed of tightly wound nuggets that are dark spruce and olive green heading towards a dark charcoal colour. The leaves smell of a mix of sweet fruit, charcoal roasted notes and a faint woodiness but are overall very fruity.

I steeped the tea 11 times after a rinse (45,30,35, 40,50,55,60,70,80,90, and 120s)

45s. Liquor pretty buttercup gold colour
Scent complex fruit smell, papaya,melon,warm peach, honey, carnation like spice tones, hint of roast and woodiness, cream.
Taste. Delicious, warm papaya and peaches, honey, vanilla orchid with carnation, cream. Spicy,warm fruit with a slight spicy floral tone.

30s stronger honey tones,fruit still get aparrent, sweet spicy floral, roster woody tone.
Taste spicy floral, fruity tones at the for front as well as something more deeper, tart and berry like, strong honey tones, hint of roasted, charred,bitter greens. Creamy buttery, mouth feel,a bit of woodiness.

35s. Brew is a deeper saffron like colour. Scent buttery, spicy soft floral, with fruit not as intense as before, honey, hint of sweet buttery lettuce like greens.
Taste hint of spinach,spice a faint echo of cloves on top of floral spice vanilla cream, touch of honey, sweet cooked greens, aftertaste of warm peaches. A balance between, savoury, sweet, and spicy, a little perfumy.

40s. cream over stewed peaches and papaya, vanilla, and floral spice.
Floral spice better balanced with other flavours so it is nit so perfumy, sweet buttery green tones slightly more apparent, a touch of spinach. Spicy feel at the front of the mouth.

50s. Scent corn, fruit, vanilla, butter, fainter spice,tones, dried , cured,pine.
Taste savoury vegetable cooked with cloves van butter cooked peaches in vanilla cream, hint of corn. spice in the aftertaste.

55s .scent Orchid and lily, buttetred creams, vanilla sugar, cooked peaches, a touch of citrus, spice.
Taste cooked peaches, vanilla sugar, spicy floral mixed with 5 spice powder, cream, savoury spinach and sweet greens.

60s. Citrus and peaches, vanilla, cream, faint vegetal note.

Corn,warm peaches and cream, vanilla orchid and nutmeg, faint cured pine note.

70s citrus, cream warm peach, sweet cooked greens

Warm peach and spice with citrus accents, a touch of cream, cured pine, sweet cooked greens.

80s. Sweet tone with hint of dark honey, cream,peach, corn.
Hint of woody tone and echo of spice.

90s corn, cooked greens, cream,hint of fruit.
Same as above

120s dark honey and spice with a hint of greens

Veronica

This sounds wonderful!

apt

damn, good review. sounds delicious

TheTeaFairy

Great review :-)

I admit, I did not steep this according to the directions. Once I saw that the flavor was supposed to be smokey, I knew 6 minutes would be too much for me. Instead I have done several infusions. First for one minute, second for two, and will be attempting a third and fourth. The first cup was delightful. It was smokey but not overwhelming at all like I find strong smokey black teas to be. There is even more smoke in the second steep, but it still isn’t too much for me. I am very interested to see how far this unique oolong can go.

Backlog:

Toast! I love the sweet, nutty, roasty-toasty flavor of this tea. It also has a nice creamy note to it. Later infusions, I began to discover some peach-like notes, notes of charcoal, mineral-y notes. I noticed more of a rustic flavor as I continued to steep these leaves.

A really fine Oolong! I highly recommend it.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/03/16/tiger-monk-roasted-oolong-tea-from-temple-road/

I received this as a sample – a very delicious tea. The dry tea reminds me of Milk Oolong — tight little buds. The taste and smell of the tea is reminiscent of a roasty big red robe only more complex – some definite floral notes. Very satisfying.

6 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Seems like forever since I have been on Steepster. So today I have Temple Road’s Tiger Monk. I was contacted through my blog and offered the opportunity to review it. Of course I did not turn it down. The 10g sample was vacuum packed with a packet to either absorb moisture or absorb oxygen. I can’t read the writing so I am guessing. The instructions said to use 3 g and 95 C water and a 6 minute steep – so that is what I did. The dry leaf aroma reminds me of the puffed wheat cereal I ate as a kid. The brew though is smoked and roasted. The first sensation when sipping was the roasting. It seemed quite strong, but suddenly melted away with a prickly sensation and became a much greener tasting oolong than I expected. Maybe in part due to the earlier prickly sensation, the aftertaste reminded me of mango.

Strong but no bitterness. Nicely complex.

gmathis

Puffed wheat is still one of my favorite cereals.

K S

As a kid I wasn’t that happy with it. With 4 kids mom bought the generic that came in a giant bag. Rice Krispies was my cereal of choice when I could get it. Today I look back more fondly on the puffed wheat. Time has a way of doing that. Oh, and today my wife kept walking around trying to figure out where that smell was coming from. Apparently the roasted notes are much stronger than I thought :)

Today’s gonna be an oolong day, folks. I can feel it. So here’s oolong #1. This was a free sample that Temple Road gave out to the first 100 people who signed up.

At first I was really surprised by the steeping parameters on this one (95°C for 6 minutes), but I followed the instructions on the label. I was expecting something very dark by the end of the steep, but the liquor was surprisingly light and mellow-looking. I even steeped it for a minute longer than recommended (I was too focused on my breakfast and book to notice), and this didn’t affect it any.

Most of the oolongs I’ve had in the past have been on the green/floral end of the spectrum, so I wasn’t sure what to expect with a darker, more roasted oolong. This was a satisfying cup! Roasty, toasty, malty, and very soothing/relaxing. There’s also a surprisingly green, grassy aftertaste, which I really like .

I have a lot of oolongs in the cupboard right now (most of them sample-size, luckily), but when I sip them down, I think this one will definitely go on the restock list.

EDIT: I’ve resteeped this and the second infusion is a lot less malty, and more grassy/astringent, similar to the aftertaste of the first infusion. This is still pleasant, but I think it might be best as a one-steep tea.

Flavors: Grass, Malt, Roasted Barley

I like this oolong :) it’s got a nice taste, not really strong even though it steeped for 6 minutes like the package said to so I was a little surprised at that. I like that it’s not like some other oolongs in that it has that strong flowery taste. This is more that warm, toasty…is it nutty? Type of taste. It’s not too sweet so it went well with my chosen breakfast of cinnamon roll loaf with frosting all over it… So good and yummy. And now to clean out my tea stuff. I would drink a lot more tea if someone would just make it for me on demand :D. Thank you for the sample, Temple Road!

Temple Road Tea

A New Tea Is Out! You’ll receive a free 10g sample of the Crane Monk Light Oolong Premium Tea for previously reviewing the Tiger Monk. Simply send an email to [email protected] to help us link your Steepster user name to your Temple Road subscribing member email address. Also, feel free to take advantage of our 50% discount offer, go to www.templeroadtea.com. Thank you!

CK

Thanks! I sent you an email just now.

Temple Road Tea’s from Taiwan send me this 10gram Roasted Oolong as a sample in order to make a review here on steepster. I would like to thank them to give me the opportunity to try this tea.

Oolongs are a type off tea that is usually a hit or mis with me, i usually drink light greener oolongs tough tis should be a darker one. The instructions that came with the sample are clear, divide the sample into 3 equal parts and make a 6min infusion. 6min is a long time in my opinion but i followed the instructions.

The dry leafs where dark green rolled in tiny balls. Upon infusion they unfurl to rather large leafs. The downside is that i’m not really getting all the aroma’s from te steeping in my nose because i got a bit of a cold… But as far that i can tell the smell reminds me of Big Red robe, and the color of the steep is somewhat familiar to it.

Taste wise i’m getting the roasted notes in my mouth with the first few sips, perhaps a bit smoked like in the description.Its strong but not overwhelming, i was expecting a bitter brew because there was such a long steep time involved. Its surprisingly fresh and delicious.

Gonna try to get 3 steeps out of this tea, will make a new note later today with the evolution in taste over the different steeps.

Have to say i’m looking forward to receive more samples from tis company.

Temple Road Tea

Hi darky, Max here. Thanks for taking the time to review the Tiger Monk. As a token of our appreciation we’d like to send a little treat you way. This one should be right up your alley judging by your review. Look for an email from us in the next 24 to 48 hours for the details. Cheers and take care!

darky

wow Max, u surprise me a lot! Thanks for surprising me :) U still got my email?

Temple Road Tea

I’m sorry, we’re experiencing some delays. Rest assured you’ll hear from us soon!

darky

received it today, really fast delivery! Will make a review somewhere in next weekend got some more time then :)

I got this tea as a free sample from Temple Road. It arrived in vacuum sealed packet and with personalized message. Thank you very much!!

The tea did not disappoint. The rolled up dry leaves looked beautiful and smelled delicious, a little vegetal.

I used half a packet (5 grams) for 8 ounces of water and wondered how long to steep it. 6 minutes seemed so long! No worries, however. The tea survived the 6 minutes steep very well and produced delicious flavour. It was not too strong, smoky with a hint of burnt caramel and sweetness throughout. It went on giving in subsequent steeps giving me 3 steeps overall before it lost the flavour. Perfect for me!

5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
Temple Road Tea

Hi Kamyria, Max here. Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Tiger Monk, and glad you enjoyed it! Good observations too, I think that our tea master’s skillful techniques are mostly responsible for the balanced flavor profile. As a token of our appreciation, we’d like to send a little treat your way. Look for an email from us in the next 24 to 48 hours. Cheers!

Temple Road Tea

I think officially spring is here, it is warm, bright, and sunny…and I have started getting Pollen Alerts in my email. Though if I have learned anything in my time living in Kansas City, it is that the weather and seasons are very unpredictable, it might feel like spring now but in a week we could be buried under snow again.

Today’s tea arrived in the mail when I was recovering from the flu, meaning I had to wait till I could fully taste and smell things properly, and it is finally that time! Tiger Monk Roasted Oolong by Temple Road Tea is a roasted oolong from Taiwan and is of the Shan Lin Xi variety and is the first tea in their Martial Monk series. The aroma is really quite intense, blending caramelized sugar and roasted nuts with lesser notes of raisins. The tightly rolled leaves have a finishing aroma of coal and fresh wood. I was pleasantly surprised at how sweet the aroma is, it blends really well with the smoky coal finish.

Once steeped and unfurled a bit, the leaves take on the complex blend of cherries and coal, milk and cocoa. It is very rich and has pleasant layers of aromas that fills me with the desire to keep sniffing, I want to see what other aromas come wafting off the wet leaves. The liquid is creamy and rich with strong notes of coal and a hint of sweet cocoa.

The first steeping is very smooth, the first thing I notice is the initial buttery mouthfeel, the creamy taste that accompanies the tea is wonderful. The tea is sweet with flavors of dried cherries and raisins with a strong wood smoke and coal finish. If the first steep is anything to go by I can say I am going to love this tea, it mixes some of my favorite qualities of Jin Xuan and Roasted Da Hong Pao.

The aroma of the leaves from the second steeping still has the sweet fruity aroma from earlier, but the cocoa and coal notes are stronger, now there is also a hint of roasted nuts. The aroma of the liquid is caramel sweet and cocoa rich with a pleasant kick of roasted nuts. The mouthfeel of this steeping is not as buttery, in fact it has a bit of a bitter dryness to it, similar to a mouthful of roasted hazelnuts (yes I do know exactly what that tastes like). The coal and wood smoke taste is much stronger with this steeping as well, it is a potent steep rivaling Lapsang Souchong for smokiness, except it is like cherry wood smoke rather than pine wood since it has a distinct sweet floral quality. Speaking of sweetness the finish is powerfully sweet, it goes from coal to smoke in an instant and the flip-flop of taste is an awesome transition.

The third steeping’s aroma is almost identical to the second, but this time the liquid had a slight hint of malt. The mouthfeel is dry and the flavor is mostly sweet this time, I think almost all the smoke was left behind in the previous steep. This time I get honey, cherries, and roasted nuts as the main flavor notes. There is a hint of cocoa at the end, throughout the entire sipping experience is the ghost of smoke, like a strong breeze blew away all the smoke from a forest fire, but the memory is still left in the nose and mouth. This tea kinda blew me away, I almost feel like the tea was misnamed, it should have been Phoenix Monk since I felt much like the Phoenix going through a smoky journey with this tea. I think I found a new favorite.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/03/temple-road-tea-tiger-monk-roasted.html

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Stonefruits

K S

I have a sample of this on the way. Reading your review I can’t wait. It just may get bumped to the front of the long line when it arrives.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

I hope you enjoy it! I am so glad I waited until I was fully able to taste it because wow!

Temple Road Tea

Hi Amanda, Max here. Now that is a review! We’re so glad you enjoyed the tea and that you took the time to write such a detailed review, Thank you! Phoenix Monk?! Really?! Haha, I have to admit it is a pretty cool name, but the Tiger Monk shall live! As a token of our appreciation we’d like to send a little treat your way. Look for an email from us in the next 24 to 48 hours. Cheers!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Hehe, I couldn’t help myself with the Phoenix Monk, Tiger Monk is of course a wonderful name, and certainly quite distinctive…just like the tea! Thank you for the treat, I will be sure to keep an eye out. :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Email sent! Thank you so much!!