Osmanthus Oolong Tea 1st Grade

Oolong Tea
Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Chris Wilhite

• “Better!!! than the last time I tried this… I divied up the bag so that my friend could have her share, and I was right, all the flowers had shimmied to bottom :) It tastes much better, and...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1428 tasting notes
  • “Thanks, Indigobloom, for swapping with me! :D It’s amazing how much a tea can vary from one company to the next. This tea is really nice. It reminds me of Read full tasting note
    QuiltGuppy 247 tasting notes
  • “After hearing some discussion on Osmanthus Oolong, and a small gift from QuiltGuppy, I was able to have a cup of this today. It has all the qualities I like in an oolong. Silky feel, yellow...” Read full tasting note
    twing 120 tasting notes
  • “The first time I had osmanthus-anything was at a kbbq place we found last summer or so. We ordered everything they had on offer for dessert, without really looking, and it was a pleasant surprise...” Read full tasting note
    sweetea 68 tasting notes

From Ten Ren

This Osmanthus Oolong tea of the first grade uses the green Oolong tea which is grown on fields high in the mountains, scented with fresh Osmanthus petals. When taste, you not only enjoy sweetness of tea, but also the fragrance of the osmanthus flowers.

About Ten Ren View company

Better!!! than the last time I tried this…
It tastes much better, and smoother for some reason, esp the second and third steep.
I tried some with milk, and some without, and my first cup with a stevia tab. All of them were pretty decent!! however the best was with just straight up sugar.
I had to add more sugar than I usually do to really taste the Osmanthus, or else it just sorta hides in the background and tastes more like a note of the oolong leaf rather than a separate add to the tea.
They still make it better in the shop of course, with all their fancy equipment and simple syrup. *sighs
I’m a little sad that I seem to have Osmanthus’d myself out for awhile. There was a point where this was all I could drink, and now, well I’m a little over it. That won’t last long though, I’ll be back at it again in a week or two! :P
One more thing: In my opinion, this tastes better iced!! and with sugar.

This tea is really nice. It reminds me of TKY, with the medium flavor, the floral notes and the yellow clarity of the tea. It’s really a great everyday tea. The oolong is clean, medium in strength, not overly toasty, only slightly.

I wasn’t certain if this was the 1st grade Osmanthus Oolong, or the 2nd grade. There are tiny, yellow osmanthus flowers sprinkled throughout the tea, which is pretty and adds interest. The floral notes in the tea are nice, but if oversteeped, can produce a plastic tasting tea.

Indigobloom

I wasn’t sure either! the packaging made no indication, atleast not in English! I suspect it’s third grade haha. Overall, an entirely different tea in terms of smoothness and decisive flavour.
ahhh, the plasticky taste, I noticed that to but didn’t really identify it as such till you pointed it out.

After hearing some discussion on Osmanthus Oolong, and a small gift from QuiltGuppy, I was able to have a cup of this today. It has all the qualities I like in an oolong. Silky feel, yellow liquor, that in between black and green flavor, joined with a very subtle hint of floral. The oolong base in this reminds me of some of the Milk Oolongs I have tried.

Thanks again QG, for allowing me this new and somewhat different tea experience.

The first time I had osmanthus-anything was at a kbbq place we found last summer or so. We ordered everything they had on offer for dessert, without really looking, and it was a pleasant surprise when among the tiny dishes of green tea / red bean / vanilla ice cream, there was also a plate with a small rectangle of gold-white pudding/jello. And YUM. Yes. Definitely the best dessert. It reminded me of the steamed yellow cakes we get at dim sum—floral, subtly sweet, and tea-scented. The only thing was, I had no idea what tea it was. Not lotus, orchid, jasmine or chrysanthemum and I was stumped. My mom was stumped. The waitress said osmanthus with a question mark at the end, and we were further stumped.

Whatever. All I knew was I needed it. Now. Pronto. Gimme. Grabby hands! etc.

Stalking the local Chinese supermarkets, I’ve seen huge tins of Osmanthus Green or Osmanthus Oolong—some of which went for about 250-350g, ranging from 5-10 dollars, and that was tempting, but man, do I ever not need 350g of a tea I might not love. Luckily, when I popped into Square One yesterday, I hunted down Ten Ren’s, and grabbed this 150g packet. Still a large quantity, yeah, but manageable.

And I’m so glad I did. This is so nice. Smooth, lightly floral, and surprisingly reminiscent of a milk oolong. It’s buttery and chock-full of dried apricots and oats, and it gives me some serious hankerings for warmer days and sunlight. You know Quaker’s Peaches and Cream instant oatmeal? This tea is like Apricots and Cream. Crazy!

The osmanthus addition in this tea is the prominent taste however one can also appreciate the oolong beneath it. The tea is light, obviously floral, and refreshing. Due to the floral addition the tea has a robust aftertaste which is excellent. The oolong itself is a little flat and slightly bitter, though pleasant. There is less roasted taste and more green freshness. If not for the osmanthus though, the tea would not be nearly as impressive.

Also, the tea changes significantly when over/under steeped and not in a good way (in my opinion). I think the timing for this tea is quite important.

Flavors: Flowers

Ten Ren’s description on their web site does not do this tea justice. The oolong that they use is their King’s Tea, which is also flavored with ginseng. There are some really nice subtleties to this tea. Also, there are no osmanthus flowers left in the tea, so it is not as messy as their 2nd grade osmanthus.