Rooibos Vanilla (Red Tea)

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Allen Pike

From Tetley

This blend is infused with warm vanilla and a hint of mellow pear.

About Tetley View company

I am trying to clear out some of my old teas. Which include a lot of bagged teas. This one is at minimum 10+ years old. I am pretty sure I bought this when North America jumped on the “Red Tea” wagon and tea companies like Tetley started coming out with bagged rooibos teas.

I never really got into rooibos tea. Some blends are ok. Most of the bagged ones are neither here nor there for me. This one still smells like strong medicinal rooibos and vanilla. As soon as the water hit the bag I got a strong sweet vanilla smell. I would say the sweetness was the pear, but I would not have called it pear if I hadn’t read the back of the canister.

The tea tastes like a not too bad creamy rooibos. There is a bit of a metallic after taste. I am actually tasting more pear than vanilla, but the vanilla is there in the background and is actually quite strong in the aftertaste.

Overall I would describe it as suitable for a bagged rooibos. There was only one tea bag left in the canister that was taking up space in my tea cupboard. Now I can buy more to fill up that space :P

I’m rating this one for my Mom she really likes it :D I’ll try it and then comment on my taste for it :D

Helena

I smell vanilla and taste pear… I’m not sure if I like that…

So, I wanted to save my 200th tasting note for something special – and a Tetley tea is not something I exactly had in mind. However I suppose it’ll do.

Tonight Tre and I were invited to my Aunt’s house for a nice sit down meal. Honestly, best meal I’ve had all week BY FAR (but I guess that’s not too hard to say: I’ve been living off mall food for weeks now). Perhaps the best meal I’ve had since moving to Saskatoon (that, I think, is a good compliment). She made quiche florentine from scratch, squash, pickled beets (this was the only downside to the meal: I hate beets and anything pickled – however considering that they were quite delicious and still top three straight days of cheese and crackers), and homemade tomato and rosemary bread. Oh, it was SO heavenly and I stuffed myself like a glutinous little pig. All my aunts seem to be such AMAZING cooks (I know Tre was impressed by her cooking skills) but that makes sense since they grew up with my Grandma who was a caterer. For dessert we had rhubarb from her garden topped with homemade soy based yogurt and pecans. It was SO FREAKING GOOD.

Tre also had some of her homemade chardonnay (I passed because firstly I’m underage, and secondly because I’ve been substance free for approx. two years now and wish to keep it that way), and I was offered some tea. I had brought her large sample sizes of two teas from my stash that I dislike, but I genuinely thought she might like (Ontario Ice Wine and Earl of Lemon) and she asked if I wanted something from her stash or one of the ones I brought. I jumped at the chance to have something from her stash: she’s a pretty extensive tea drinker (my uncle not so much, he’s the type who’s impressed by the variety of teas carried by bulk barn and thinks chocolate tea is super fancy) and I know she’s got loose leaf from tons of local shops she’s travelled to when her and my uncle were touring Canada (they’re musicians/performers) so I thought I might get to try something I otherwise wouldn’t have access to.

Well, to my surprise she pulled this out… Really, of all the things she keeps stocked she wanted to drink Tetley. Oh well, not wanting to be rude I said I was happy with this one (and Tetley really is fine in its own right, it just wasn’t what I was expecting). Afterall, I was a guest in her home and no one appreciates an ungrateful guest who isn’t content with what’s offered. I guess the fact this tea was part of such a fancy and special dinner is enough to make it worthy of my 200th tasting note.

The tea itself was actually really good. I was probably being way more critical than necessary and it still managed to impress me. There was, of course, the signature taste of rooibos (I find Tetley’s rooibos teas have extra noticeable notes of “wood” and “maple”). The vanilla was super rich and very creamy. Tre ended up having a cup, and I don’t know if it was the pressure of being someone’s guest and not wanting to seem ungrateful (like I felt) or something else, but he didn’t even add any sugar to this one.

In a lot of ways I was pretty heavily reminded of DAVIDsTEA’s Birthday Cake. It’s quite similar, but still very different. Of the two, I much prefer to stock Birthday Cake – but this still went down very smoothly and I had no issues finishing it. It was a great complimenting flavour to the rhubarb as well.

Unfortunately, since I didn’t prepare this for myself I have no idea what the brewing parameters were though.

(Extra bonus story: On the drive home I was talking to my Uncle about tea, and he mentioned that in the morning my aunt had made him his first chai tea. Except, he knew nothing about what kind of chai it was or even than there are multiple kinds of chai, and the tea he described sounded almost exactly like the flavour profile or this tea or perhaps a cinnamon vanilla rooibos; he used the words “woody” and “medicine” like to describe it and that sounds like most people’s perception of rooibos)

Not quite as good as the other Rooibos offerings from Tetley, it is still very tasty. Vanilla comes out quite strong, but too sweet for my tastes.

The first few mouthfuls, this is like “Hmm it tastes like hot ice cream with a hint of tea. Not bad.” Unfortunately before I finished the cup it changed to “Hmm. This tastes like hot ice cream with a hint of tea. Pretty grim.” I finished that cup, gave it one more chance, and will likely never go back…

On reflection, maybe I shouldn’t have added milk and sugar, but that’s automatic for me.

Well. I remember when rooibos was an exciting new thing in Canada, and I drank the living daylights out of President’s Choice vanilla rooibos and I think I sort of burnt myself out of it, really. So every once in a while now, I’ll decide to give it another go, and remember the things I’m not really fond of about it.

I’m not even actually sure why I bought an entire box of this tea. I think I might have been sick and taking a LOT of Actifed at the time and wanted something that wouldn’t make me feel like I was swallowing corrosive household cleaning products that I could fall asleep to, but why didn’t I just get a thing of chamomile? I might have been at the Tesco Express that’s open until 11 on Sunday but has a pitifully small selection of tea, and I knew this would be tolerable.

That might be it. I don’t know.

But my point is, I was going to drink a cup of fennel tea the other night, which is definitely not my favourite thing to drink straight, and I decided to see how the flavour would improve if I chucked in a bag of this as well, and drank it with a little squizzle of honey.

And it actually somehow seemed to cancel out the things I don’t like about these teas and turn the whole thing into something a bit sweet and oddly fruity and actually pretty good. Wowzers.

A favourite for when I need some ‘plain’ tea to start off my day.

Dry: smells like vanilla

Steeped: smells like vanilla, tastes like, you guessed it, vanilla! Not sweet, just vanilla and rooibos, and intended

2nd steep: steep a little longer and it tastes the same.

Some say it tastes like medicine, but I digress. It does taste soothing and great at night steeped in milk, though :)

Brewed with slices of ginger, this charmingly vanilla tea makes a surprisingly superlative cup of tea.

I like vanilla and pear, what can I say. Comforting.