Finbarr's Revenge

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

From The Devotea

A belter of an Irish Breakfast tea blend. Strong; designed for the milk-and-sugar crowd but lovely black. Available from US, UK and AU sites on www.the-devotea.com

About The Devotea View company

Upon my return home for the funeral, I was feeling very teaprived, & this one seemed the only suitable choice, to continue the theme of the day, & the week, actually, now that I think about it.

Note to self: Next year spend all of St. Patrick’s Day drinking & comparing Irish Breakfast blend, you silly lass!

Anna

Teaprivation is the worst.

Stephanie

lol I love these new words :)

Oooh. This is silky slick as oil (without actually being oily, phew!), easy going down but nice and strong too. I love when you get that strength but without the usual corresponding tannic roughness. And I’m getting that mysterious lurking marine quality Terri describes (and loving it).

I had this first thing with cold leftover cashew chicken (not the most traditional, but still the breakfast of champions). Really nice. Thinking of hanging with the Queen shortly (“rain outside so a book and the Queen, peachy keen” popped in my head and well, who am I to argue?).

So jealous of you guys…I so need to get a devotea order in…

Sami Kelsh

That sounds really, really good. As does the breakfast.

keychange

as does the queen!

Robert Godden

Thanks for taking the time to record your thoughts.
Speaking of Things Queenly, we have just launched “Queen Adelaide Superior Breakfast Tea” in Australia and two of our blends (‘Love of My Life’ and ‘Seaside Rendezvous’ – both AUST only sadly) are named after Queen songs

ifjuly

yes, i am jealous of the australian residents who get to try those! esp. seaside rendezvous, sounds great!

ifjuly

and haha Sami Kelsh, good to know i’m not the only one who thinks leftover take-out-style (even when homemade) chinese is the best breakfast!

Robert Godden

@ifjuly Seaside Rendezvous is one of my favourites, but to be honest, not a big seller. We created it for a cause. Here’s the long-winded story of its creation. http://thedevotea.teatra.de/2013/01/21/reality-check-no-thanks/

ifjuly

oh man, great story! it’s a shame you couldn’t get a civet to go to the seasize rendezvous. in a bowler hat. but i guess they probably don’t like water…

ifjuly

teeth though. teeth would be provided if there’d been a civet there. especially if you tried putting a hat on him/her.

Robert Godden

For completeness/self-indulgence, here is a link to how we came up with Finbarr’s Revenge, the tea this post was originally about! http://thedevotea.teatra.de/2013/05/29/real-people-real-tea-devotea-origins-part-v/

ifjuly

ah, i’d been wondering who finbarr was. also, your blog is a really enjoyable read! i just finished the one about the duchess of bedford and it was fun too. thanks for sharing!

Robert Godden

Thank you. What other teas of our do you have, if any, that might be on your tasting radar?

ifjuly

i got the black tea sampler, plus bread pudding chai. i am going to try lord petersham tomorrow as my morning tea (i know it’s billed as an afternoon blend, but i like to wing it), looking forward to it! also especially excited about two tigers and persian princess.

Robert Godden

My wife, the legendary Lady Devotea, insists the Lord Petersham is a breakfast blend. It works fine. I am heading to our warehouse to blend Bread Pudding Chai today; it’s good in a cup but also in 10 kilo mounds!

Another one from my swap with TerriHarpLady.

To me this one has a bit of a spice to it. I am having a hard time putting my finger on it. It reminds me of menthol a little bit. Kind of like a cough drop without the medicinal flavour. It is very light. It is possible it could be a bit of flavour contamination, but I do not have any other teas that taste like this, that I know of anyway.

The black tea part of this tea is really good. It is a strong black tea but not astringent or bitter. It is also quite smooth.

Robert Godden

A little ‘mentholation’ is possible on a year by year basis – our teas vary with growing conditions. However, it should have been quite strong. I would recommend trying it at 3 minutes.

I can sum up this Irish Breakfast variant in on sentence: This stuff actually gives you the courtesy of a reach-around before punching you in the junk.

ScottTeaMan

Did you just say “reach-around” LOL :))

Robert Godden

I had to check out the 95/100 rating to make sure he was actually saying he liked it. Which raises some interesting questions…

Geoffrey Norman

@Scott – I did indeed. :-P

@Robert – What’s not to like about reach-arounds?

Robert Godden

Still my favourite tasting note ever.

This is my cup of tea. Bold strong malty but no bitterness or astringency. No milk or sugar for me. probably if you steep it longer it may need some additions. Some wine notes. this is so good, i gulped the cup less than a minute.
1tsp 205F 3min
Thank you so much Terri HarpLady for sending me such fine teas

Robert Godden

Wow, what a rating! Thank you.

boychik

I’m so glad that I was able to try your teas. And it’s only because of Steepster and our great sharing community and particularly Terri.

Another one from terri, that is still really tasty, but just slightly less so than the other couple i’ve had. This one leaves an after taste in my mouth that i’m less a fan of. HOWEVER, i wouldn’t turn this one down, nor would i discount the possibility of picking it up again because i can see it being just what i need on cooler winter mornings :) strong, smooth with a little reminder left over of what i was drinking heh. thanks terri!

Now the Devotea has me addicted to their 1910 blend, but I figured it was time to branch out into some of their other offerings with my latest order.

Before I discovered Steepster I was a Twinings Irish Breakfast kind of gal in the mornings. After many years (and thousands of dollars) later my palette has changed a lot but I still like a good Irish Breakfast tea. I steeped this up and after trying it plain my first utterance was, “Whoa!” This is a very bold, wine-y type of assam which is exactly as it should be. I wonder if 4 minutes is too long for the steeping but I think it worked out ok. I immediately added soymilk and a bit of rock sugar as I don’t really think this blend was meant to be drank straight! I wish someone would hand me a plate of scones but actually, this would go well with a bowl of steel cut oats.

Another good ’un — I think this sample will be gone within a matter of days if not hours.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Robert Godden

Glad you liked it. It is most definitely blended for milk and sugar. I drink it straight up myself, but that is not what I was aiming for. 4 minutes is about as far as I’d take it. Oats is essential with it for breakfast.

ifjuly

oooh Robert, stone ground irish oatmeal and a cuppa sounds heavenly.