Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Josie Jade

• “This tea is from a little store here that sells a handful of loose leaf teas and has a large selection of bagged teas. They also have a lot of fun cooking/kitchen items, and I love going in there!...” Read full tasting note
    JosieJade 358 tasting notes
  • “I am not adding this to my cupboard because I have only about one ounce of it. This was a gift from one of my music students today. We have tea together almost every week, as I did with her...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes

From The Extra Ingredient

From The Extra Ingredient in Greensboro, NC

About The Extra Ingredient View company

This tea is from a little store here that sells a handful of loose leaf teas and has a large selection of bagged teas. They also have a lot of fun cooking/kitchen items, and I love going in there! We used their teas a lot last summer for iced teas, and probably will this summer too. The dry leaves smell lightly of blackberries, while the tea has a more sweet blackberry aroma. The flavor is sweet and malty, with just a very light berry aftertaste. This tea smells more like blackberries than it tastes like them. It’s a decent cup hot, but it does make a nice iced tea.

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves with pieces of green leaves.
-Dry leaves smell lightly of blackberries. Tea liquor aroma is of sweet blackberries.
-Tea liquor is a clear dark brown color.
-Sweet malty flavor and finish. Very light berry aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. A sweet and malty tea with a hint of berry flavor.

I am not adding this to my cupboard because I have only about one ounce of it. This was a gift from one of my music students today. We have tea together almost every week, as I did with her brother before her.

Their family goes to The Extra Ingredient whenever they visit Greensboro. The story they were given was that the loose teas being sold by the ounce are blended by a British gentleman who used to blend teas in England and asked them to carry his blends here so that he could continue to buy the needed supplies to blend and drink his favorite teas.

I may have under leafed this a bit, but it is very tasty. The dry aroma is really lovely. There are black tea leaves, not too small, and bits of green leaf which I assume to be blackberry leaves, but I suppose it could even be stevia leaf or something. If it is, I will soon have a stomach ache, so I am hoping it is blackberry leaves.

It smells like candy and I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what is so familiar about it. I think something about it is reminding me of Guava candies or Parma Violets, but without the soapy taste. I like Parma Violets, by the way, in spite of the soap!

The tea isn’t particularly astringent, the berry flavor lingers. I am astonished at the price I was told for this tea and wonder if they were mistaken. I was told it cost 3.99 for four ounces and this was repeated several times, so I don’t think they meant to say that was the price per ounce. My little bag says it is two ounces but I think it was divided, so maybe that is actually the price for two ounces. If it is, this is an amazing deal if you like flavored tea.

I find it very sweet drinking it without additions, but I plan to cool some tomorrow and add simple syrup and try it as an iced tea. If it is good that way, I may have to stop in the store myself soon.

Cheri

There’s a new tea shop that opened in Greensboro – Vida Pour. I’ve had some of her teas before she opened her shop. Quite nice.

ashmanra

Thank you! I will probably be up that way by year’s end so hopefully I can check them out!