Keemum 3 Monkey

Edit tea info Last updated by sarai

1 Tasting Note View all

From Thé Kiosque

A complex and subtle flavor that is aromatic and penetrating without being lush or floral.

The Chinese say that the bouquet of 3 Monkey is like the perfume of an orchid and the less poetic will say that it is like toast hot from the oven. It has been suggested that the reason 3 Monkey is a classic English breakfast tea is that its fragrance is brought out by the addition of milk. In any event the thick reddish liquor from the fine, tightly rolled leaves of this superb tea have a deep, rich concentrated flavor, reminiscent of the fine qualities of Burgundy wine.

About Thé Kiosque View company

1 Tasting Note

My first ever online tea purchase. (if you don’t count the David’s order I made eons ago for some teas no longer offered in store that is)
This order, I was lucky, they let me order in all sample sizes… as there are so many I haven’t tried that I wasn’t ready to make a commitment and I can try so much more this way. Thank you The Kiosque for being so awesome! :)
Ahem. Okay the tea.
Well… if you /like/ astringency, this one’s your gal. I mean tea!
Whew, is it ever sour!! like an apple, without the apple taste… like the tartness you get in a sweeter apple, not the sour apples. It’s a wild sort of astringency, deeper than most and rounder than in an Indian black tea.
There is a chocolate note there to, but it’s very much overpowered by the astringency.
Adding agave didn’t seem to bring the chocolate out much. Next time, I’ll lower the temp to see if that helps.
Milk did mellow it out quite a bit. Also, I did get three good steeps out of it, and a very nice tea high!! Other reviews of this tea from another vendor compare it to Pine, but I don’t see that here. It’s a little biting, so perhaps that is what they are getting at with “pine”? and burgundy… yeah I can see that, maybe. Not that I know what burgundy tastes like. but I understand the comparison to alcohol. The sharpness of the astringency and all.