Chocolate Mate Chai

Chai Pu-erh Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Josie Jade

From The London Tea Room

This sophisticated take on hot cocoa is a three-way involving pu-erh, yerba mate and cacao. Also invited: creamy vanilla, nutty coconut & Ayurvedic long peppers. I know, right?

About The London Tea Room View company

This is the 2nd of my Bathtub Teas today, NOT meaning that it tastes like bath water, LOL, but that I drank it while I was in the bathtub, while reading pep talk letters from on my iPad and breathing in the aroma of Roses & Chamomile. TMI, I know…LOL

This is like drinking c warm cup of spiced butter. I know that sounds gross, & it isn’t. This tea probably has the butteriest mouth-feel of anything I’ve ever drank, and some yummy spices as well. I didn’t really taste much chocolate, but it was a tasty cup!

I’m always so excited when a new NaNoWriMo pep talk comes out.

I picked this one up last summer from the London Tea Room and it was my first experience with pu-erh and mate. My fiancee and I were hoping for a smooth, chocolatey flavored chai, but it wasn’t quite as we expected. I’m rating it today so I can pass it along to someone who will hopefully appreciate it more. The dry leaves smell very sharply of a spicy cocoa. The description mentions a Ayurvedic long pepper, so I am guessing this is the reason for the spicy aroma. The tea liquor is a rather thick, dark brown color with an oily sheen on top. The flavor is overwhelmingly of pepper. A little of the vanilla comes out when sweetener is added, but it is still followed up by a strong pepper taste. It honestly is like drinking liquid black pepper, bleh. This one is just not for me!

-Dry blend is a mixture of small broken black and green leaves, pieces of bark/wood, twigs and coconut slivers.
-Dry leaves smell like sharp, spicy cocoa. Tea liquor aroma is very earthy and peppery.
-Tea liquor is a thick dark brown color with an oily sheen on top.
-Subtle cocoa flavor with an overwhelmingly strong peppery finish.
-Best with sweetener.
-Poor tea. Sweetener brings out the vanilla notes, but the primary flavor is overwhelmingly of pepper.

Terri HarpLady

I enjoyed it a few times, with Stevia, & then it was just…ok. My son Drew drank the rest of it, I think.

Josie Jade

I tried it with stevia too, which helped a little but not a whole lot. Then when I added milk, just ugh! I couldn’t even finish the cup, which I never do. Oh well, I love every other LTR tea that I’ve tried so I suppose it’s ok that I loathe this one. :)