Edit tea info Last updated by torimpls

• “Just gave this a go this morning. It smelled super delish at Lady Elegant's (a place that sells mostly Metro Tea stuff in Minneapolis) and I've been wanting a loose leaf tea to have at work that...” Read full tasting note
    torimpls 26 tasting notes
  • “I bought this tea recently from Nova Scotia Antiques&Collectibles, Fred Baines' eBay store, where I buy most of my tea. I'm still getting acquainted with this one. Since I am totally in love with...” Read full tasting note
    jjeffrey 3 tasting notes

From The Metropolitan Tea Company

Tea Growing Countries: India, Kenya
Shipping Ports: Calcutta, Mombasa
Altitude At Which This Tea Was Grown: 6500 feet above sea level
Tea Manufacture Type: CTC (Cut, Torn & Curled)

It may surprise you to learn that the people of Ireland drink more tea per capita than any other population on Earth. It’s true! In fact, your average Irish citizen drinks about 6 cups per day. What’s more, the cups that they drink are so strong that you could almost stand a spoon upright in them. Indeed, the Irish prefer what some might call a “sturdy” cup of tea. In order to provide the Irish with blends this strong, tea blenders supplying the market buy up top all of the top quality seasonal output from Assam and Kenya. The Assam teas are picked from the top production of the Second Flush, a period of high growth in the month of June. The Kenyans selected are usually those produced in either February or August when the most flavorful tea leaves are grown. The Assam component of this Irish blend gives the cup a strong, deep, malty character with heavy layers of astringency that dry the mouth, feeling almost as if you could chew the tea. (This is similar to the way a very dry wine can make you “pucker”.) The Kenyan teas provide a bright coppery color with profound floral notes that add a complex depth to the cup. If you’ve ever wondered what gives the Irish so much nervous energy, you’ve got your answer… It’s a strong blend!… You can enjoy this incomparable tea in the morning with toast or a traditional Irish “fry-up” or even as an “eye-opener” before a big night out on the town!

About The Metropolitan Tea Company View company

Just gave this a go this morning. It smelled super delish at Lady Elegant’s (a place that sells mostly Metro Tea stuff in Minneapolis) and I’ve been wanting a loose leaf tea to have at work that would be happy in a tin, so this seemed a good bet.

A very nice and thick-feeling brew. Deep amber color. Probably since I like bitter tea, I let it brew a bit too long but it was perfect after about 3 minutes. I might even go a little longer… A nice tea to wake yourself up with!

I bought this tea recently from Nova Scotia Antiques&Collectibles, Fred Baines’ eBay store, where I buy most of my tea. I’m still getting acquainted with this one. Since I am totally in love with Metropolitan’s Scottish Breakfast, I thought I might like this as much or even more. I must say, it’s a bit of a comedown from the S.B. For one thing, this is CTC, which is a nuisance as it plugs up the spout of my teapot and gets into my mug excessively. I can’t think why this must needs be CTC when the S.B. is mostly large aesthetic leaves that are good enough to eat! I need to experiment with the brewing of this Irish Breakfast, I think, because so far I’ve found it (with milk and sugar, as is my wont) rather one-dimensional and uninteresting, not even as good as PG or Red Rose supermarket tea bags. I must be doing something wrong; it can’t be that bad. I don’t find it has the depth and resonance of the Scottish Breakfast. Comments, anyone?