Oriental Beauty Cake

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Azzrian

• “WOW! This really is quite different! Full review on http://sororiteasisters.com/ on the 14th but here are the snippits: I will confess, I am getting a bit of a tea high while sipping on it....” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “I don't love this tea. The flavor strikes me as thin and not particularly interesting. Perhaps I will try with a larger chunk of the cake, but for now I am not that impressed.” Read full tasting note
    dlgoldstein 6 tasting notes
  • “Liquified dates, or perhaps prunes or sticky raisins. Wonderfully sweet and succulent. First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz water, 90 deg., 2:30 min. Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90...” Read full tasting note
    sherubtse 68 tasting notes
  • “The dry leaf is dark green with what looks like whitish buds. It has a peachy aroma, maybe a touch of candy-like sweetness. The infused aroma is like honey with a slight astringency. On the...” Read full tasting note
    poikkeus 22 tasting notes

From The Mountain Tea co

It’s no wonder this tea is also called Champagne Oolong. This Oriental Beauty in compressed cake form tastes of apricots, thick with honeyed spice. Simply break off a piece and enjoy. 3.8 oz

About The Mountain Tea co View company

WOW! This really is quite different!

I will confess, I am getting a bit of a tea high while sipping on it. Either that or I just need a nap but I am feeling quite laid back and cozy in this sipping moment.

The aroma is a sensory explosion! Sweetly floral, and fruity, peppery notes, and the aroma of a wooded place. The aftertaste is so very familiar – what IS that flavor? Savory, vegetal, something buttered perhaps, GAH what is it? … Squash, Zucchini perhaps. I will come back to that another time it may drive me batty. It is delicious regardless!

Ah the second infusion really brings forth the fruit notes! Now I get that raisin note that another reviewer had mentioned on Steepster!

I am also pretty sure this is the type of oolong served at a couple of the local Asian buffets here local to me. Now granted I do not think they are near this level of quality of an Oriental Beauty Oolong but hey at least its not Liptons!

Oh and if you order from The Mountain Tea Company be sure to look for the button on their item pages that says “Tweet for Discount” if you have a twitter account you can get a code for 5% off your purchase.

I don’t love this tea. The flavor strikes me as thin and not particularly interesting. Perhaps I will try with a larger chunk of the cake, but for now I am not that impressed.

dlgoldstein

Also, I just noted that it looks like some are brewing this tea at a much lower temperature than I; perhaps I will try the brewing methods of those who enjoyed this tea more. Thanks, all!

First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz water, 90 deg., 2:30 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 3:00 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 4:00 min.

Fourth infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg. 7:00 min.

Fifth infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg. 10+ min.

On the taste, the flavor is very restrained, with absolutely no astringency here, mixing honey and lychee and an afterthought of lemon; and as is the case with most Oriental Beauty, it’s very subdued; by adding more tea than usual, the flavor is very appealing. This version has been pressed into a tea cake, an inventive way to make its appearance unique and enjoyable.

not bad…not great…120ml gaiwan,8g…