Medium Roast TieGuanYin

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by sherubtse

• “I like this tea as a good staple. However, it doesn't stand out for complexity and I find it a bit cloying if I don't brew it in my gaiwan. I'm not quite sure why that is, but I've not had...” Read full tasting note
    dlgoldstein 6 tasting notes
  • “This is a pleasant tasting oolong. Its roasted flavour is present in all infusions. But there are also more subtle notes of honey, stone fruit, and flowers which come and go through the various...” Read full tasting note
    sherubtse 75 tasting notes

From The Mountain Tea co

The initial aroma of the dry leaves is that of caramel and cane sugar. With a rinse, that aroma intensifies and deepens with notes of burnt caramel, brown sugar and smoked cedar plank. This tea is smooth and delicious and its finish is long, with brighter notes of honey and apricots anchored by an underlying current of roasted nuts and cacao. Good for 5+ infusions.
Other names: TGY, TiKuanYin, 中炭焙特級猴王鐵觀音

Water: 6 oz.; 200-210°F
Suggested Serving Size: 3-5 grams
Steep Time: 2 min. 30 sec.

Traditionally, this type of TieGuanYin is brewed at a higher temperature (between 200-210 degrees) to yield a more complex liquor.

We suggest brewing 3-5 grams of tea leaves at about 205 degrees. Steep for 2 minutes to 2 minutes 30 seconds. Steep the second infusion for about 1 minute, gradually increasing steep time for subsequent infusions.

Collections: Medium Oolong, Roasted Oolong, Tea
Type: Tea

About The Mountain Tea co View company

I like this tea as a good staple. However, it doesn’t stand out for complexity and I find it a bit cloying if I don’t brew it in my gaiwan. I’m not quite sure why that is, but I’ve not had success brewing with other methods.

This is a pleasant tasting oolong. Its roasted flavour is present in all infusions. But there are also more subtle notes of honey, stone fruit, and flowers which come and go through the various brews.

First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 1:30 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 2:30 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 4 min.

Fourth infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 10+ min.