Maple Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Scion

• “This is my first order from this company. It's just a small shop in downtown Calgary and I've finally broken down and ordered. I really love the tins that thier teas come in. They're free with...” Read full tasting note
    Scion 15 tasting notes
  • “This is another of the local teas that I sent along with the GCTTB, and like the one last week it’s also one of their most popular blends. The first time I heard of this chai (I hadn’t even had a...” Read full tasting note
    jjoeve 108 tasting notes
  • “The thing that really hooked me in about this tea is the smell - it's crazy good. I found it steeped best at the recommended time of 5 minutes - any less and it's not quite strong enough to stand...” Read full tasting note
    jenfarnell 9 tasting notes
  • “*Great Canadian TTB* I don't usually like chai but I am a fan of maple. Luckily, this leans towards maple and thus I am finding the cup quite pleasant. I don't think it is something I want stocked...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1886 tasting notes

From The Naked Leaf

Maple Chai

Our new Organic Maple Chai is now in stock. Blended exclusively for The Naked Leaf, this is one of the finest chai teas you may ever experience. A smooth Assam base with a rich blend of spices finished of with a hint of maple. CRAZY GOOD! Chai is often served with milk and a sweetner.

Water: 100C / 212F Time: 3-5 minutes

Ingredients: Black Tea,Cardamom,Clove,Cinnamon,*Safflower *Peppercorn Pink, *Natural essences

• Organic

About The Naked Leaf View company

This is my first order from this company. It’s just a small shop in downtown Calgary and I’ve finally broken down and ordered. I really love the tins that thier teas come in. They’re free with the order and have different artworks printed on them…I think they’re awesome, and I’ll deffinately be hanging on to them.

I was really excited opening up the package. And opening up this tea…the smell just hit me. It smells just like christmas. I have no idea why, I can’t quite place it. But it totally reminds me of Christmas when I was a little kid. Smells so good it makes my toes curl.

The leaf is really super dark, it looks amazing. First thing I had to do was run to the kitchen and make some. I didn’t add any milk or sugar to this, I wanted to try out the flavor on it’s own first. It’s wonderfuly smooth. I can really taste the cinnamon and cloves…absolutely delicious. I’m thinking this is my new favorite tea place. Woohoo!

Azzrian

sounds perfect!

This is another of the local teas that I sent along with the GCTTB, and like the one last week it’s also one of their most popular blends. The first time I heard of this chai (I hadn’t even had a chance to smell it yet) I knew I had to have some.

The first thing you notice upon smelling the dry tea leaves is maple, but not the super sweet grocery store kind of maple, this is the authentic maple scent. Underneath that come the spices… I always worry with a chai that the cinnamon will be overdone and that it’s scent (and flavor) would be the only thing that I find, but not with this one. The clove, cinnamon and cardamom all work together quite nicely and are well balanced, though not as prominent as one might expect. You can also catch a hint of the pink peppercorn (which also gives it a nice visual pop as well) and a bit of matiness from the Assam tea. It’s a really dark, warm and well-rounded scent profile with the occasional highlight from the safflower petals.

The liquor is a deep orange-gold with a fair amount of particulate, and smells of malt, maple and a nice touch of spice. Again it’s not super sweet but the malt and the maple combine to form a very interesting aroma, they complement each other in a way I really can’t quite describe… but the smell is lovely.

I don’t however get a lot of spice notes in the flavor, don’t get me wrong they are there, I can taste the cinnamon and clove with just a touch of cardamom and a slight tingle from the peppercorn but it’s not “Chai like” to me (kinda similar to DT’s Pumpkin Chai, it’s more spiced than Chai, at least in the way I see/taste :)) I was also really surprised the first time I tasted this, I expected much more maple in the flavor profile, but it actually serves more as a supporting note, complementing the slightly astringent Assam base nicely with true maple flavor. Nor is it as sweet as I was expecting (again not a bad thing! It’s just that this tea kept blowing all my preconceived notions away!) but at the same time it holds up well to extra sweetener too if you’re looking for sweet.

I enjoy this tea, it’s brisk but smooth, spiced but yet just sweet enough and a has a really good balance between the flavors and the “base” Assam tea. (Though I do think the title’s a bit misleading but again I’m particular that way ;) )

The thing that really hooked me in about this tea is the smell – it’s crazy good. I found it steeped best at the recommended time of 5 minutes – any less and it’s not quite strong enough to stand up to milk. But when it’s done right, it’s a delicious cup of tea. Best with milk and a bit of sugar to really bring out the maple flavour and add creaminess – it’s like dessert in a mug.

I really want to try boiling this tea in milk on the stove, the traditional chai way, to see how it tastes. I have high hopes!

Great Canadian TTB

I don’t usually like chai but I am a fan of maple. Luckily, this leans towards maple and thus I am finding the cup quite pleasant. I don’t think it is something I want stocked but I am thankful to Kirlika for the opportunity to try it :)

GCTTB

A miss for me. I had high hopes for this one but sadly upon brewing it, it became largely a mess of bitter black tea with hints of cinnamon and ginger. Disappointing but im’ glad i got to try it since this totally would have been something i would have ordered!