Coincidence Noir

Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tuscanteal

• “So I had a little giggle over this tea... partially because the owner/master blender at The O Dor, originally worked at Mariages Freres. I find the description of this tea on their website to be a...” Read full tasting note
    tuscanteal 130 tasting notes
  • “This is another purchase from the Urban Tea Merchant tea salon in Vancouver. This tea comes in both green and black variations, but I chose the black one because I thought it had the more robust...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1573 tasting notes
  • “Sweet nut cream vanilla fruit. Very similar to Marco Polo, but not strawberry like that one seems to suggest--more drop fruit, I think. The taste, so far, isn't anything alike, though. Bright...” Read full tasting note
    supermoon10 370 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

The Ô Dor wanted to propose a variation of a famous blend of tea for connoisseurs. For these enthusiasts, The Ô Dor has created a black tea, with captivating perfumes of the original creation, which is bound to attract attention.

About THE O DOR View company

So I had a little giggle over this tea… partially because the owner/master blender at The O Dor, originally worked at Mariages Freres. I find the description of this tea on their website to be a bit cheeky:
“It reminds you something? You think you know it? Nothing of the kind …Your jealousy is out of bound…How to say? This one is much better, deeper, more balanced and somehow far more subtle. You speak ill of it because you know much too well… It is only a coincidence if you pretend loving a similar one. Anyway, this one is mine and I don’t like sharing.”

Now, I can only speculate, BUT I sense he’s talking about Marco Polo, Mariages most famous flavoured black tea. Very very cheeky Parisian, that master blender.

I brewed this at 95C for 6 mins, as I feel I need a little more robustness in my black teas. The instructions call for 85 for 3-5 mins, as it seems with most of the The O Dor flavoured black blends.

At first sniff: This tea smells very fruity with subtle hints of vanilla and reminds me very much of Marco Polo… with the information above, I wonder why. Fruity, vanilla goodness.

At first taste: This tea again mirrors Marco Polo but with some other subtle notes. The O Dor is good a subtle hints of other flavours. I’m tasting nutty of some sort, but nothing strong like hazelnut though. Might be almond (almond extract maybe?)

I love this tea with milk and sugar (or stevia as of late.) I guess I personally appreciate the more subtle and delicate flavours, as some people knock The O Dor for their “weak” tastes. Depending on the day, I like in your face teas, but usually I like more elegant and refined flavours that have depth to them.

cteresa

oh dear, I had noticed that description. Very very cheeky but now it makes me curious!

I don´t find The o Dor flavours at all weak – got a few packages fresh from their store and they are amazing. Though if the flavours are natural, as I think they are, the flavours will age. Getting tea from a large package opened 18 months ago at one store will be weaker flavoured tea. (Maybe that is the problem I have had with place saint marc).

Tuscanteal

My tea is all older, I can’t lie about that. But I have never thought the flavours to be weak or dull. Even with myaged tea. I think a lot of other tea companies rely on artificial flavour and so the tea is a bit more pungent. You’re so lucky to have a store near you. I’d go there every day is another retailer in Canada decided to carry it.

cteresa

unfortunately I got no place nearby to by live loose tea. There was a shop which had a few and where I bought my first of their teas, but unfortunately it closed. But I got some teas directly from them at their little cute Paris store and was stroke by how much intense the fresh packages of some of what i bought was than the already marvelous versions I had bought before. In Une Autre Idee (which is a glorious rooibos) it was pretty noticeable, in others as well.

Mind you, this might affect loose by the weight tea more, I think tins are more impervious! And another brand I like very much and also uses all natural flavourings has the same “problem” – it is lovely tea in all stages but intensity does decline. It´s not a bug, just a feature.

This is another purchase from the Urban Tea Merchant tea salon in Vancouver. This tea comes in both green and black variations, but I chose the black one because I thought it had the more robust scent.

The smell…the smell is incredible. It’s like vanilla ice cream – but the high quality stuff that has bits of vanilla beans in it. Then there’s a mix of berry – I think I can smell blueberry, strawberry, maybe currant, and all sort of fruits or berries I can’t even begin to identify. It’s a bit like Mariage Freres’ Marco Polo only bolder and more fruity/berry.

The taste is surprisingly different however, as the first thing I get isn’t vanilla or strawberry but a sort of fresh, not-too-sweet fruit flavour, that seems vaguely familiar, only I can’t quite place it. Guava maybe???? There’s also a faint hint of something floral with it, but it’s not a perfumy sort of floral. There are other, sweeter fruit/berries flavours that follow, but they’re quite subdued in the wake of the intital burst of flavour notes.

teaplz

That sounds… amazing! Very jealous of the O Dor fun going on over there. I’ve found the Americanized shop online though, so hopefully it’s not too expensive!

Marie

@Jillian is the tea robust, strong, or light in nature? What type of black tea leaves do they use? Does it taste astringent without cream & sweetener? Would adding C&S round out or enhance the flavor? I’m keeping a close eye on my shopping list as I jockey the hierarchy of new teas I’ll be ordering next. :)

Jillian

Hmm, I honestly don’t know what type of black tea is used – it didn’t say anywhere on the website and I didn’t buy the tin – just a loose bag with the steeping instructions.

It’s on the lighter end of black teas though, and I enjoyed drinking it plain. There’s a bit of astringency but it’s a fruity sort of astringency derived more from the flavouring than from the tea itself. My boyfriend had it iced with a bit of melon syrup when we were in the tea salon and we both agreed it was tasty that way – but I don’t know about cream/milk.

Actually, if you want I could send you a bit. :)

Marie

Would love to try some. Let me know if you would be interested in swapping a mini-sampler package. I don’t have as many teas in my cupboard as you do, however I have a fair amount – and hopefully some you may be interested in. If not maybe there’s one tea in my cupboard you’d be interested in trying and we could swap. Let me know. :)

Sweet nut cream vanilla fruit. Very similar to Marco Polo, but not strawberry like that one seems to suggest—more drop fruit, I think.

The taste, so far, isn’t anything alike, though. Bright and fruity, with a vanilla sweetness.

Getting distracted by music. ♪ Down at the edge, round by the corner, close to the end, down by a river. Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down. ♫

There’s something nutty in here too, I think. Hazelnut? I don’t know. Hmm.

QuiltGuppy

Do you order directly with Théodor, or are you able to purchase locally? I’m interested in trying the teas, but can’t get much from the descriptions online.

AJ

Locally. There’s a store near me that specializes in just the tea company (and a bunch of “tea culture home décor” items). Yeah, I noticed the site doesn’t list ingredients. The only place you can find a list is on the actual tins themselves, and they don’t carry many pre-tinned teas. Most you have to buy by mass, the classic way.

QuiltGuppy

You must be near the Urban Tea Merchant, then, right? I ordered some Milky Oolong from them and it just came in the other week. It’s pricey to have to buy some of the larger containers to see if you like it. Nice for you that you can just get a cup of it to sample!

AJ