Je T'Aime

Chocolate, Coconut, Nutty, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

2 Images

…to share with your “other half”, your twin spirit, an infusion rich with the notes of pistachio and marzipan, delicious and almost shameful.

Greedy mixture with black tea perfumed in the keynotes of macaroon and pistachio.

Ingredients: Black tea, flavours of “macaron”(bitter almond), coconut, pistachio and chocolate, pink peony petals, chopped almond pieces, coconut shavings.

About THE O DOR View company

I am liking this more and more each time I have it (good thing because I got 100 grams). The trick to brew it is IMO to use more leaf that you would normally use – this is a very pretty tea, filled with petals and things, but you need to compensate for those pretty things by adding more real tea.

It´s sweet (macaroon tea! Parisian macaroon tea!) and feels like a total indulgence, but somehow perfect for this post Christmas season where I am totally tired of food particularly rich food (clementines, rucula and tomato and sushi are somehow OK. Chinese hot and sour soup as well). The coconut and pistachio in this tea are somehow just perfect for this mood of mine.

On my list of tea things to try next year is a tea (any tea) from The O Dor, thanks for the reminder. I LOVE Mariage Frères, as you know, but I am so, so underwhelmed by Dammann Frères (And they’re much like Fauchon, right – some blends are almost exactly the same?) So it seems The O Dor is the one big contender left on my list. Would you say they’re more like MF or DF?

I am a little bit underwhelmed by Dammann (and Fauchon) – they are nice teas, but they are a bit samey-samey, and the base is boring. Though Dammann is quite nice at pricing (not somethin which can be said for Fauchon).

I think Theodor is much more like Mariage Freres than Dammann is, but with a definite more quirky side. I heard right here the owner used to work at MF and that for example Coincidence Noir is a very cheeky version (his version) of a better Marco Polo. But their teas are truly very good, different tea bases, intense, interesting (even when strange! The tomato and lemon darjeeling which somehow works) flavours. They are good at rooibos as well and very interesting plain teas – though they seem to specialize more on japanese green teas, and sadly have not started exploring those, mostly due to budget.

Thank you so much for explaining, it was beyond helpful. I’m even more determined to try The O Dor now.

I’ve always been both impressed and annoyed by their website; I admire the concept and the quirkiness, but since flavour plays such an important role in tea consumption, I wish they’d offer alternate, boring old descriptions. Plus the shipping is murder.

But you’ve inspired me, I’m going to Castroni later in the week! I’m pretty sure they carry Fauchon.

The site is annoying and I was pretty prejudiced against them because of that (well, and because the tins I saw for sale here were 20 euros for english breakfast blend and a hibiscus tisane. But they do have a peculiar tin pricing thing).

The trick I use on their site is the search function which gives short one or two lines description for teas. Search for bergamot and it lists all teas with it, search for part of a tea´s name and gives it back a short description of that tea. Does not make up for the rest but helps (build monstrous tea shopping lists…)

Yes, you’re right – great idea. (Oooh, peach! Oooh, vanilla!)

This is going to get very decadent very fast.

Jin Patisserie sells The O Door in the US, and if you call them directly, shipping is much more reasonable than what’s posted on their website.

Ah! You’re both in Europe. My bad.

Haha, yes, at the very source of fancy tea! But that’s a great tip, nonetheless – I’ll check out the website; thank you.

MissB;thanks in any case!

thanks Teresa for the tip about the leaf amount, I’ll retry your sample soon :)
Anna, Dammann is thetea provider for both Fauchon and Hédiard…you can find the same tea cheaper at Dammann.
There are exceptions as Mélange Fauchon, I think this is a exclusive creation of Dammann for Fauchon

Ysaurella, I can send some more – I think this really has potential ( though comparing to Tribute, perhaps it is natural to always prefer the first). But the fillers, the huge huge petals, it needs more tea than usual to be strong enough – but when done right, it´s something.

This is one tea I can not imagine ever not being able to identify, it´s so unique.

What a delicious tea! It’s beautiful dry and the steeped tea has a very sweet liquer. I can most certainly taste the marzipan/almond flavor. The pistachio is a bit more remote, but it’s there. I also pick up on a big coconut flavor which is not puzzling considering that the written catalogue I have mentions the flavour of “Parisian macaroons”.

This is a perfect pick-me-up afternoon black tea and it would also be perfect for a special meeting…. Simply lovely! The flavors are exquisite but the black tea does not compromise its strength.

Lucía Guerrero

Delicious ! love it ;-)

Thank you so much cteresa for sending me some of this tea. I wanted to taste it for ages but each time it was out of stock on the internet website.
Now I’m recovering from pneumonia I can find some courage to prepare a tea.
The blend itself is so lovely with these rose petals and it smells delicious and I decided to strictly stick to Theodor’s brewing instructions. I may have been wrong because I think 90°C may have been better.
As cteresa I find more chocolate and coconut in this tea than almond and pistachio…and this is not what I was looking for.
The tea base is too weak for my taste and I will continue to try this tea with different steeping times and temperatures.
Pistachio comes more when the beverage is cooling.

I am not in love with this Theodor creation even if of course it is more than correct and decent.
There a lack of explosion in this tea, something I miss. Exactly when you have an appointment with a sexy guy to have dinner and …meh…there is no electricity between you and him, you begin to look at your watch…
I may have put too much expectations in Je t’Aime…but I’ll continue to have some dinners with because I think something may happen.

Terri HarpLady

First off, sorry to hear that you’ve been sick, & I hope you feel better!
I love this review! You have such a lovely way with words, & comparing the tea to a date? Hell yeah! :)

Do try it a bit hotter. I thought it was strong enough, but been cruel and brutal and used almost boiling water with it.
Though maybe with all these expectations maybe this one was not for you and all those missed chances to buy were fate :)

I might prefer Tribute to this though!

I am glad you are feeling better, and up to facing making tea!

Glad you are better!

There’s no better way to say I love you… marzipan and macaroons. Yum.
I will admit, this also was not one of my go to teas from The O Dor. I bought it because I am an ever romantic and love the name. However, that being said, I steeped this morning and I think my opinion has changed.

At first sniff: I smell coconut, marzipan and pistachio. It couldn’t get much closer to French macaroons.

At first steep: Again, echoing that I am trying to do the water temperatures and steep times, but I did increase this to 95C and 6.5 mins because I do appreciate my black tea base to be stronger. I must have enjoyed this though, because I gulped it down like it was going out of style. I probably have 6-7 cups of this left and then it’s gone, so we will see. Might have to re-review at another time.

Je t’aime!!!! (Sorry had to do that, you can’t help but feel romantic, or maybe that’s just me, seeing as I am a hopeless romantic… and Dawson’s Creek is on TV right now and taking me back to pre-teen school love.)

The first time I heard of this was in the THE O DOR shop in Paris, near the Eiffel tower — gobsmacked that one of my favourite tea companies would make a tea based off my favourite dessert, a pistachio macaron, I snapped it up in an instant.

The first time I brewed this was with @Carianin, who came over for a little tea-party. Possibly I was so overwhelmed and surprised by the taste sensation that arose from adding almond milk – almonds, yes, the base of macarons! – to this brew that it completely slipped my mind to ever make a tasting note. (I really recommend a hint of almond milk, you won’t regret it)

Even brewed strong, you can find all the lighter pistachio notes AND the stronger marzipan flavour. Strangely enough the black tea base always seems to marry the added flavours perfectly, for me, so that I can’t taste “ceylon” or “china black tea”, but a rich, woody-scented, marzipan and nut dessert. The dry leaves and the brew have such a strong candied scent but don’t let that put you off – it evens out when it’s brewed!

This is a tea I really wanted to try (pistachio and marzipan was the original description on The O Dor’s site), but the shop was out when I was in Brussels. Fortunately MissB had some to send along!

I feel like there are some weird translation issues here. Is it a macaroon, or macaron? Actually I think the answer is both? (Side note: The O Dor updated their website and it is a million billion times easier to use, plus they give ingredients now). It does have both “macaron” flavors, and coconut, which is more macaroon. What I taste is a lot of pistachio, a hint of almond, some creamy coconut, and an underlying base of chocolate. It’s not exactly what I was expecting, but it is delicious. I think I would prefer it without the coconut, but I don’t really care for coconut in my black tea. Regardless, I am happy to have tried this one (but I don’t think I will be ordering 100g any time soon).

Another gem from MissB! I’m skeptical of all these French teas, probably because going into it I haven’t a clue what’s in them… but so far, everything’s been tasting pretty great. With this tea, I correctly identified it as a rose/chocolate black, which tastes fairly good – add some bergamot and you’d have DT’s The Earl’s Valentine! (Not quite). Anyhow, I’m not overly fond of floral notes, but I’d happily drink it again. Which I will, because I only drank half my sample today.

ETA: Ok, I also taste the coconut, and I can be convinced that there’s marzipan flavouring in here, though it’s not overly strong (otherwise I’d find it very cloying). Pistachio though? Not so much.

Marzipan. I get lots of marzipan. And a nutty liqueur. Plus a nice dose of coconut. It’s not what I expected but it’s tasty nonetheless. Thank you MissB!

Sipdown (117)!

Tasting note time! I haven’t posted anything here on Steepster in a little while because I just finished a six day streak at work, and I haven’t had any energy (or time, really) to write anything before or after work. Today’s my day off though so lets see what I can write today!

This sample comes from MissB – I saw the coconut shreds in it and automatically assumed it’d make a nice cold brew, so that’s how I prepared my sample. After it was strained this smelled distinctly chocolatey and nutty; no actual coconut notes which is what made me go for a cold brew in the first place.

The taste is reminiscent of DAVIDsTEA’s Choconut Oolong to me – they both share a very similar sweet chocolate flavour with a syrupy sweetness at the end of the sip. In the latter’s case it was caused by licorice root – for this one, while it does remind me a little of licorice root, it’s more so because of the marzipan. And that’s another key difference; Choconut was hazelnut while this is much more distinctly almond. It’s supposed to have pistachio too – but I’m not getting any of those notes.

And, I actually didn’t taste the coconut at all throughout…

It’s good; but I just put Choconut Oolong to rest after finishing off like 200g of it so I think I’m trying this one a little too soon – all I can think of as I sip on it is Choconut Oolong and I made myself so sick of that one just because of the sheer volume of it that I went through.

Pulled this one of the box Sil sent to me – I think this might have originated from MissB

I didn’t look up what this was “suppose” to be, and I’m now really confused. Without looking I was thinking chocolate, coconut, and something fruity – raspberry. That’s what I was getting. Marzipan, macaroon, pistachio? Hmmmmm ok if you say so..
Whatever it is, I’ve had a few cups of this tonight and was really happy with it. Reminds me a little of H&S Soho but definitely has that scented European thing going on. Thanks so much guys for sharing this – have enjoyed my evening with it.

Yup it’s a missB tea. I think this one confused me too…though at this point the only way to be sure is checking my notes hahaha

Yep, it’s a super confusing yet really tasty tea. Definitely came from me! Glad you enjoyed it.

“Scented European thing” Yes, I totally know what you mean. I like it.