Sans Complexe

Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From THE O DOR

Is it a tea or lemon meringue pie? Close your eyes and the question is suprisingly difficult to answer. Impossible to resist, this guilty pleasure is free of calories and, of course, of artificial flavouring; it’s okay to be tempted! As delicious as it is light, in it you will find the taste of pure butter crust, meringue and sweet n’ sour lemon.

About THE O DOR View company

I’m forcing myself to go through my tea stash and pay attention to some of the ones that have been sitting there waiting for me to drink them and much of my The O Dor collection is sitting very pretty, like a well dressed Parisian woman waiting.

At first sniff: I can picture in my head the meringue peaks with toasted caps and how the sugar smells mixed with the egg whites. It literally smells like that to a T. The lemon notes wrap around this smell and then develop the more complex (ha ha, it’s without complexity though right?) smells and aromas. Some days I love it and some days I think it smells almost like soured baked goods.

At first steep: I’ve been following The O Dor’s instructions on brewing lately, to see if I’ve been doing something wrong with every other cup I’ve brewed with them. They seem finicky with black flavoured teas. I brewed at 85C and for 6 mins, because I’ve found the 3-5 it says just isn’t bold enough for this girl first thing in the morning. The lemon comes out much stronger after it has been brewed and that lovely meringue taste fades to the background slightly. I added milk and stevia to it and the stevia brings the meringue back into play, but the lemon is definitely taking a stroll on my taste buds. Although not my favourite The O Dor blend, I do like it when I’m in the mood for a light dessert.

Side note: I tried to do a re-order of some of my favourites on their website… the shipping is upwards of 50Euros…. for a few 100g of tea. Sigh… why must stores in Vancouver bring in high end French things and then change companies (I’m looking at you TWG.) Well, might just be worth it to make a trip there, vs paying that ridiculous charge. With the exchange rate, I’m paying 1.5 to 1 basically. Yeeesh…. I’ll just sip my sans complexe nicely… and lovingly.

cteresa

Well, going tea shopping in Paris is always top be recommended!

But checking their site, http://www.theodor.fr/shop/lang-en/content/3-terms-and-conditions-of-use check if a smaller order for example can have cheaper shipping. They say for wordlwide shipping of orders between 50 and 100 euros, then shipping is 32 euros. it is strange that shipping is according to cost, not weight, but I guess it will be complicated to calculate packaged weight accurately and at least having it be by price is good for me who would want lots of little cheap packages.

Tuscanteal

Yes that page is a bit more clear now that I read it. However for a little Canadian girl who pays 1.40 or so for ever Europe dollar those are some steeeep shipping charges. Especially because I could wrack up 50 e easilu by buying two tins of 100g. I know I shouldn’t but I love their canisters.

cteresa

LOL, euros, just euros, not european dollars, please.

The cannisters are gorgeous indeed, and do you know their special edition ones? on the site they only got one or two, but live they have more and on my goodness, those are wonderful. Like their old tins, with a slight twist.

I have managed so far to resist their tins and go by loose weight for everything, mostly because I am cheap and tea greedy, except for Milky Oolong, who is so expensive by the weight it is quite affordable really in the tin. It turned out to be a very wise choice because I fell in love with it.

Tuscanteal

Sorry. My phone auto corrects sometimes that’s why it said that about the euros ;)

Yes I knew they had special edition tins but I must admit that I never bought any if their new designed tins only their older ones with their old logo which I personally like and prefer. I just like how they stack on my counter and demand you to look at them.

I’ve never tried their oolongs but they sound delicious.

cteresa

The special edition tins are pretty close to the old tins, not sure about the logo. so gorgeous.

I agree about their tins, I am a tin lover (/fetishist more like) and their tins are sort of perfect for me – being able to pile them and they fit so they do not easily tumble, the way the lid closes so tight which is IMO very important and just, you know, PRETTY! Because of the difference between the loose leaf by the weight price and the tin price – here loose leaf can be from 6-8 euros per 100 grams and the tin is always always 20 euros no matter where and in which country; I have mostly resisted the tins, but has been hard. Weirdly now I got two tins of their tea and is for the same tea – am going to cheat and replace the tea and put my Nepal black on the old milky oolong tin.

i don’t remember this one..but i drank it, and nothing i’ve had over the past few days has been “yuck” so i must have liked it haha. More to come later i’m sure :)

Such a funny name for a tea. This one (#8) is the one THE-O-DOR tea on my list that I was actually able to get at a shop in Brussels; they hadn’t gotten a restock in a long time. I drank it once after I got back but made it too hot and it was bitter, and I never wrote a note for it. So this will actually be my first note!

The flavoring on this is lemon meringue pie. It is definitely reminicent in aroma of DF’s Noël à Venise, although the caramel notes in that one have been replaced here by a definite creamy meringue note. Brewed at these parameters I am not getting the bitterness (maybe a tiny hint), and instead it is lemony with a decidedly creamy meringue note. Overall, pretty tasty, although a little finnicky (and more bitterness is coming out as it cools, which is not really pleasant). I would still go for Noël à Venise over it any day.

Marzipan

Do you know of any place to find some information on what is actually in the The o Dor teas? Their website isn’t very informative.

Dinosara

If you go directly to the shop and bypass the main site (http://www.theodor.fr/shop/lang-en/5-flavoured-black-teas) you can click directly on the tea name and it will take you to a page with a flowery description, but it usually has the flavors in there somewhere.

you can also just search for flavours eg. caramel, toffee, chocolate

1918 tasting notes

… lemon meringue?! What? (Thank you, Dinosara! :) )

This smells nutty. With caramel and vanilla. (This was made in a well-cleaned strainer!)

Lemon meringue?!?! I guess there’s a hint of lemony custard at the end of a good sniff. But. IDK.

Oh poop. I’ve totally oversteeped it. SO bitter, wow. I can taste the lemon, though! It’s a bit pithy. More like candied lemon peel rather than straight up lemon curd. This is really interesting. I’ll have to steep again to see if I can pull flavour without so much bitter.

I’d probably do 2 minutes at 195F if I had more dry leaf. Or 3 minutes at 185F.

Based on it not working at my “usual” parameters, I’d have to say that I probably wouldn’t get more, but it’s really really neat.

(3 tsp (I spilled a bunch on the counter, boo.) in 16 oz. More leaf than usual, but why not.)

Plunkybug

Still…lemon meringue is intriguing.

CHAroma

Oooh, going on the wishlist!

OMGsrsly

It was really neat, but I wasn’t expecting the tea to be so picky… or I’d have done 2 way smaller cups. Oh well. I’d try it again!

You like pastries but you are afraid of the calories ? This tea is made for you ! Sans complexe tastes meringue lemon pie. I guess you won’t resist after smelling it ! In mouth, the tea is good but it doesn’t taste meringue pie enough in my opinion.

No artificial flavoring.