Une Autre Idee?

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

• “last tea of the day and a sample sipdown of that, from the lovely cteresa. Pretty sure i'd be willing to add this into my cupboard, even in a 100g quantity not because it's the most amazing blow...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “I have been madly and deeply in love with rooibos lately. Since the first time I tried rooibos, its delightful, natural sweetness has been lingering in my mind. And this cup of Une Autre Idée was a...” Read full tasting note
    larukucafe 299 tasting notes
  • “For the first time since last Sunday when the haze started to hit on us, I managed late today to open my windows and breath almost fresh air. Since my living-room used to stink increasingly like a...” Read full tasting note
    LaFleurBleue 111 tasting notes
  • “I wish I knew what the trick is to rooibos. What makes a good and a not-so-good flavoured rooibos so completely different? When I first had delicate, French-style rooibos I could barely believe it...” Read full tasting note
    clareborn 258 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

Here is my proposal: a red Rooibos with notes of Guanabana, an exotic fruit from South America, passion fruits and other secrets for an infusion to be enjoyed at any time… The idea? Not to have any alternative choice. The quest ? Impossible to refuse. Some are reluctant? My grand-mother would always say « if you wish to criticize it, either you do it better or you keep silent ». Then, I’m asking once more: any other idea?

Ideal brewing time: 4 to 5’

Water temperature: 85°C (185°F)

Ingredients: Red Rooibos, Flavors of Soursop Fruit, Red Passionfruit, Peach, Pineapple, Vanilla, Coconut, Raspberry, Pineapple pieces, Calendula Petal

About THE O DOR View company

last tea of the day and a sample sipdown of that, from the lovely cteresa. Pretty sure i’d be willing to add this into my cupboard, even in a 100g quantity not because it’s the most amazing blow your socks out of the water rooibos, but because it’s lovely and pleasant and when i’ve been drinking it, i keep drinking it down without realising it. Quite pleasant on the whole, so thank you for sharing this one with me cteresa!

(on a cupboard note…added my yezi teas in today and i’m still officially under 150! – 140 to be exact… go me! Note that it’ll last long but hey, the longer the better haha)

I have been madly and deeply in love with rooibos lately. Since the first time I tried rooibos, its delightful, natural sweetness has been lingering in my mind. And this cup of Une Autre Idée was a perfect answer to my persistent craving! The comforting taste of rooibos and the flavours of ripe tropical fruits (most notably pineapple and peach) made me think I was having vacation on some small Mediterranean island… I could almost see palm trees and the blue sea! I absolutely enjoyed this tea. It is now on my shopping list! :)

For the first time since last Sunday when the haze started to hit on us, I managed late today to open my windows and breath almost fresh air. Since my living-room used to stink increasingly like a smoking bar the morning after, when all ashtrays are overflown, I was in a very good mood to have the stench removed by a nice and not too smelly breeze.
That was definitely an opportunity for a celebration. What could be better than opening a new and promising tea bag? I chose this one so that the exotic fruit flavors remind me of some great pleasures I enjoy living in Singapore.
I’m really glad I did that, as drinking this tea definitely made me happier. The flavors of tropical fruits are rather blended, but gave me the feeling that only the tropical fruits I prefer had managed to reach the bag. Isn’t that fantastic! I recognized quite early my favorite passion-fruit, some pineapple is also there and some fruit that taste both sweet and very tangy at the same time and that have a creamy texture, a bit like mangosteen but not exactly this fruit. I then decided to look over what was the mysterious guanabana and I realized it was the French corossol and the English soursop – then it was clear it was this last fruit that brought out this tangy sweet slightly sour but overall very interesting and multi-dimensional.
To be drunk hot or warm – it seems not as interesting once it cools down.
I made a second tea-pot, right after finishing the first. I’m quite sure the bag will empty itself very quickly and I’ll certainly restock this one after.

cteresa

This is definitely going on my shopping list – I love rooibos, but I seem to get pickier and pickier about it all the time, and Theodor ´s rooibos are always good!

I wish I knew what the trick is to rooibos. What makes a good and a not-so-good flavoured rooibos so completely different? When I first had delicate, French-style rooibos I could barely believe it was the same thing as the cardboardy German stuff. Do they water the bushes with gold? Sing to them? It can’t all be in the flavouring. No flavour profile, no matter how adeptly put together, could ever mask that much cardboard.

Anyway – what I wanted to get to was that this reminded me a whole lot of a horrible Teavana tea experience I had with a blend called Rooibos Tropica. It smelled tasty from a distance, but then as you came closer, the citrus turned all chemical and brewed up it was seriously the horror of horrors. Cold-brewed it was seriously window cleaner in a cup. I haven’t been able to drink citrus-flavoured rooibos since, so I figured I’d better give this a try, seeing as it seemed a suitable back-up-on-that-citrus-rooibos-horse contender.

This is the sample that had leaked ever so slightly, so smelling puts me back in the state of excitement one unavoidably enters when receiving one’s swap box. (Oooh!) This one you can smell forever without it turning chemical, too – the citrus/rooibos balance is perfect and there’s a sweet note rounding everything off. This is more or less what you get in the cup as well, but the aftertaste has a warm, slightly creamy, vanilla-esque note to it that is very nice.

This is just good, delicately flavoured, high-quality rooibos.

I don’t need a citrus rooibos in my permanent cupboard, but if I did, this one would be a very fair contender. In terms of a rooibos-off between French tea merchants, Mariage Frères would still be in the lead, however.

Thank you for sharing, cteresa!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

Kamyria

Ha ha ha… window cleaner in a cup! Awesome note! I find that the more I grow as a tea enthusiast, the more I dislike red rooibos.

gmathis

I shall sing to my evening cuppa and see what happens :)

cteresa

I am heretical, I place Theodor rooibos as high as Mariage Freres, or maybe even higher. Maybe. It´s fun to test it – and there is a small british brand called Yumchaa whose base rooibos I also approve.

I suspect the difference has to do with the grade, quality of rooibos used. If you look at Mariage Freres rooibos, particularly leftover in the pot (and we can not get rid of those needles easily…) notice how long and sort of whole, full and reddish the rooibos is. Pick a cheap german blend and look how much smaller, sadder, more broken, more yellowish-brown the rooibos looks. Though germans are not the only ones at fault, got a rooibos from Betjman and Barton which was just sad (and tasted it). And I got a repackaged plain vanilla rooibos which I suspect must be from some german blender (who else could it be from, from the source) which is good!

I am a rooibos snob it must be said. Good rooibos I love and makes me feel this warm glow, bad rooibos I somehow leave it to cool without drinking.