Pêché Mignon

Fruit Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

• “oh, wow, this is maybe the fruitiest green tea I ever had. It smells amazing though I worried it might be "too much", like those scented pens or stationery when I was a kid. Brewed up it smells...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 331 tasting notes
  • “Feeling like I need something fruity and tasty and mellow, but not weak this afternoon... I went for a black breakfast tea rather than my usual green which was a strange experience, reminded me why...” Read full tasting note
    macaronic 82 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Barbara* for this sample! Brewed, this tea smells like the filling of a warm peach pie. The smell is similar to the taste with a little more of a floral aspect to it. A little bit of...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 470 tasting notes
  • “Recently I tried this tea cold brewed. After putting it in the fridge I forgot all about it, so it sat there for approximately 1,5 days. This tea turns into a rather nice iced tea. The flavor is a...” Read full tasting note
    Barbara78 59 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

Flavoured green tea with major notes of orchard peach, melon, strawberry and passion fruit.

Life would be tasteless, should we have no little, confessed faults… I mean those shortcomings that bring no big consequences to which I let myself go shamelessly. Don’t be afraid that others behave likewise and let yourself be tempted by this green tea with fruity notes of peach and melon; just regret that you were not the first one to give in to it.

About THE O DOR View company

oh, wow, this is maybe the fruitiest green tea I ever had. It smells amazing though I worried it might be “too much”, like those scented pens or stationery when I was a kid. Brewed up it smells slightly different and at first sip it´s not cloying, but a very strong taste of peaches and melon.

I had to go check on the Theodor website what were the notes of this – the peach and melon are obvious and far stronger than everything else, though I think in retrospect there is a hint of the passion fruit. The website specifies it is vine peach which vindicates my nose, I did think it was vine peach. The melon is the dominant note here, though interestingly it seems to spread, move to the forefront as it cools – when I poured the hot water the peach was more obvious and also more present at first sip, then it started to get more in the background with each cooler sip. It´s still there on the last lukewarm sips but just as a background.

This is just lovely. I think this would make an excellent (though probably quite expensive) ice tea. And it´s very summery as well, a great tea to have, hot or cold, on a warm day (is spring finally here? cross fingers!). While Mélange de Galice, another peach Theodor tea, was a sort of summer dreaming tea to have in the darkest of winter, Pêché Mignon is a summery tea to have when summer is coming – or maybe that is just me being fancy.

This is going on the to-buy list for sure, though in practical terms, it might not happen anytime soon.

PS – second steep, using a little hotter water, a bit less water and a slightly longer steep also good. But less intense melon and more noticeable peach. Not sure peach is stronger actually, I think it is just that by the melon being more toned down you notice the vine peach more.

Hallieod

I’ve seen vine tomatoes (bought them yesterday, in fact!) but vine peach? I’m very impressed at your nose anyway! :)

Ysaurella

where do you buy your Theodor teas in Portugal Teresa ?
I am planning to go to their shop on next month, if you want I’ll let you now what I want to buy.

cteresa

Hallie, for me peach is large and yellow, and vigne peach is peach as well (not like nectarines which is a different thing) but smaller, softer and more scented and red. I think it is a very french thing to divide peche, peche de vigne (and nectarines) but it is somewhat related to the peaches we grow here, pessego, pessego de roer (peach) and nectarine. It smells different, it does, really, though i can not explain it well – vine peach or peche de vigne smells more and smells wilder though I will confess that m,y favorite variety of peach to eat has not too strong a smell but is the big yellow (rather than white) peach.

Ysaurella, I bought afew Theodor teas in a Lisbon shop which sadly closed in December, but there is a shop in Porto which sells Theodor (though they do not divide by blender brand, whichI kind of respect though it is not helpful. I do hate their diving tea by “origin” which is not sensible at all IMO) http://www.rotadocha.pt/ I have ordered from them before and am planning to order again soon, if only I can decide what i want more!

And if you go their shop, smell everything before choosing! I have been completely seduced by so many of their blends just because of the smell, it´s so well blended – I have not been disappointed with the smells versus the taste!

Hallieod

That does it – I’m going to have to find a way to get to Portugal (during peach season, now)! This is fascinating, thanks for explaining for me!

cteresa

Ah, but Hallie, peach season is cherry season as well, and nice as peaches are, oh cherries, cherries are the best – you get vans coming down from the cherry regions selling literally “psst, want a box of cherries” our of the back of vans, and those cherries were probably picked 2 days ago and are just sublime. Peaches are nice, but cherry season http://www.flickr.com/photos/cteresa/7164100153/

Hallieod

I just — no, am speechless. That is glorious. We get strawberries sold locally, and they’re very good strawberries, but it’s not cherries. I am DEFINITELY going to have to visit. In June, right?

cteresa

LOL, you ´d be very welcome. June, leaning towards May. They start to show up mid May and are usually gone by the end of June.

Feeling like I need something fruity and tasty and mellow, but not weak this afternoon… I went for a black breakfast tea rather than my usual green which was a strange experience, reminded me why I always have a green tea first thing. Ah well! On to the tasting.

I have so little of this tea that using it feels like I really need a good excuse and a long time to savour it. The colour in the cup is bright and golden and the aroma is nothing but cantaloupe, whole and delicious. Despite how soft the flavours are this tea is a tad dry and astringent on the tongue, but I can overlook this for the beautifully smooth fruit flavours. It’s like eating a cantaloupe melon and peaches (the peach isn’t as strong as the melon), it’s nothing but delicious. Another high score!

Ysaurella

I’ve always wanted trying The O Dor …I should ! but find them a little bit expensive vs a MF. Would you say the quality is equal or under ?

meliorate

I just checked on their website and, wow, the tins really are expensive ): But their bags seem cheaper, and I’d bought this from a teahouse, it wasn’t too expensive. I’d say it’s about equal, though!

Thanks to Barbara for this sample!
Brewed, this tea smells like the filling of a warm peach pie. The smell is similar to the taste with a little more of a floral aspect to it. A little bit of sugar really rounds out the taste and takes it from floral to full juicy peach! The aftertaste is spot on! The green tea base is hidden in the back and hard to pick out over the peach. I really want to try this tea with cream, but I’m hesitant to disrupt something that is already so good. And my intuition was right! Cream really didn’t add to it and actually takes away from the juiciness of this tea. Second steep was pretty good too! I’m normally not a fan of peach teas (maybe because of association with cheap blacks with overdone synthetic peach), but I’m finding this one quite delicious.

Just read the description and saw it had melon in it too! I’ll have to see if I can pick out the flavor in my next cup! These The O Dor teas have interesting flavor combinations that I’m not picking out before I read what is in them. I’m not as good at identifying tastes as I thought, but it’s fun to try!

Barbara

Hahaha I tasted melons and only melons and no peach. Funny thing how different everybody’s taste perception is!

Recently I tried this tea cold brewed. After putting it in the fridge I forgot all about it, so it sat there for approximately 1,5 days. This tea turns into a rather nice iced tea. The flavor is a bit less potent cold brewed when comparing to hot brewed but very suitable for a hot summer day!