Marabout

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by cteresa

From THE O DOR

Flavoured red rooibos with major notes of toffee and baked apple.

Ideal brewing time: 4 to 6’
Water temperature: 85°C (185°F)

About THE O DOR View company

My second Theodor rooibos and I am impressed, even if I did not love this quite as wholeheartedly as the first (Carpe Diem).

This smells heavenly – baked apple and toffee and indescritably dessert-y. Just the smell makes you feel good. Brewed up the taste is not quite as intense or as identifiably caramel-apple (Tarte Tatin) but I am impressed by how smooth, nice, full of body the rooibos base is. The apple-toffee melds wonderfully with it. The rooibos seems to have nutty-caramelley-honey tones itself and that is what makes this shine. I am so impressed by Theodor´s rooibos bases and how they flavour those. If you like rooibos, try to check what they are doing with rooibos.

Thanks cteresa for sending this one my way.

There is certainly that signature rooibos medicinal taste here, but it’s not the worst I’ve had. The baked apple I’m getting as well. I’m not so sure about the toffee, though there is a subtle sweetness to it that could be the toffee? Overall a smooth tea, even with that rooibos taste!

I’m glad I got the chance to try this one out :)

cteresa

Glad ypu found it interesting! I admit I am a rooibos lover ;) Though I am also a rooibos snob, a lot of rooibos bases, particularly cheaper brands (unless it´s south african cheap brands! LOL) are pretty bad – this rooibos base is pretty smooth IMO, but still rooibos for sure. Toffee, yes, I think it is literally tiny cubes of toffee which are supposed to melt – try to stir it once or twice when brewing and later when drinking for extra effect (and so the toffee does not end all at the bottom of the pot or cup!)

This tea smells so delicious. Sweet rooibos with notes of caramel and pastry. The rooibos itself seems like it’s of good quality and is actually a little bit finer than others I’ve had. It makes a beautiful red cup.

Sipping… the rooibos is softer and smoother than others I’ve had. There is still a rather distinct woody flavor that always comes with rooibos, but I appreciate how smooth this one is. There is a gentle sweetness that wraps itself around the cup, but I can’t really tell what it is… to me, it tastes awfully similar to a caramel rooibos. This sweetness pairs very well with the rooibos that it almost seems like they’re one. I am a little confused about the apple as I can’t taste any, but I think that I’ll have to experiment with this blend a bit more to see what other flavors I can get.

I really enjoy the smoothness of the cup and love the strong notes of rooibos and caramel, but I feel like I’m missing out on the other apple and toffee flavors. I will play around with this a little more to see if I can bring them out of hiding.

Found this beauty in capetown want to know where I can buy it here (uk) or do I have to go back to capetown again!!!