Earl Grey Royal

Bergamot
Edit tea info Last updated by Jenn the eskimo

• “Another sample that came with my order. Group A streptococcus has paid a visit to our house, and between the sick kidlet not sleeping well and his younger brother being jealous that he was...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday I received the Theodor order that I placed on Vente Privée . Oh joy to see the postman emerging at my doorstep in the middle of the afternoon . Obviously Theodor wanted to sell its...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 388 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

Although officially classified as an aromatic tea, Earl Grey has forever been considered a great classic amongst all teas. Perfumed by fine Italian bergamot, this is an outstanding Earl Grey, sprinkled with blue cornflowers and helianthus petals – a soft blend.

About THE O DOR View company

Another sample that came with my order.

Group A streptococcus has paid a visit to our house, and between the sick kidlet not sleeping well and his younger brother being jealous that he was getting all the attention in the middle of the night and choosing to have a tantrum about it, I did not sleep well either. My eyes are pretty much at half mast this morning and we’re out of toothpicks.

So I though I’d invite the Earl to tea and see what sort of impression he made.

Yellow and blue petals among dry leaves that smell strongly of bergamot. Steeps to a very dark, reddish caramel color. Less bergamot in the aroma after steeping, instead it is more of an orange scent and a very rich, almost chocolatey black tea undercurrent.

The taste is quite nice. The bergamot is not strong and perfumy, which is great. Strong, oily, perfumy bergamot upsets my stomach. It’s more of an impression the tea gives rather than an outright taste. It’s like the way a good jasmine or other flower scented tea gives the impression more than an actual taste. To the extent it’s a taste, it’s orangy, fruity and mild rather than tasting like rubbing alcohol smells, as some bergamot oils do.

The underlying tea is a yummy, smooth black tea. Medium-to-full bodied and medium-sweet with low astringency.

It’s a gentle, polite Earl and he’s welcome to come back to visit any time.

SoccerMom

Sorry to hear your you have a sick kiddo. Hope they feel better soon and that you get some rest today.

__Morgana__

Thank you!

Rabs

::hugs::

__Morgana__

Thanks, Rabs!

Rabs

Aw, you’re very welcome! It sounds like you had a very rough night and yet you wrote a lovely tasting note that makes me want to try this tea. So thank you too! ::more hugs:: :)

Obviously Theodor wanted to sell its so-called kimono bags , in aluminum . The 5 teas I ordered were in this type of bags that preserve wonderfully the qualities of tea. Well I personnaly do not care because all my teas end in an airtight dedicated tin but for those who keep their tea in the original bags , those ones were perfect.

This morning I had an embarrassment of riches with five new teas to test but my love for the legendary Earl Grey outweighed everything else. And seeing the sublime osmanthus flowers and corn flowers mixed with black tea leaves I cracked .

During the infusion the yellow flowers rise to the surface and we can see them only !

The liquor is very dark and smells delicious bergamot-y.

The taste obtained is strong bergamot, very present and very bright , almost slightly spicy . This is an extremely invigorating and joyful blend. Ideal in the morning. It reminds me a lot of Mademoiselle another blend by Theodor , another Earl Grey but scented with lavender . The Bergamot oil used is most likely the same . I don’t think I am wrong on this . It is also probably the same Chinese tea base between medium and full -bodied in terms of strength .

A good Earl Grey in conclusion even if I denote nothing very extravagant here .

You can have a look at pics of my session with this tea here : http://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/earl-grey-royal-theodor/

Flavors: Bergamot

so lucky. i’m still waiting to place my order with the du loup haha

Terri HarpLady

Although I don’t care for the Earl, & can’t read French, I love the pics on your blog. Beautiful setup, & the yellow flowers are SO pretty! :)

Ysaurella

thank you Terri :) I’m glad your finger is healing little to little.
Sil : they had Thé du loup at the sale on Vente Privée but it came out of stock very very quickly, I didn’t manage to beneficiate of the 50% off on this one :(

Fjellrev

Beautiful photos as always! Those are very interesting-looking “kimono” bags.

Ysaurella

yes it’s a pity they stop these bags but they are now selling other bags (called M sized) with a biggest weight 125 g and big bags (L size) of 250 g !Great for tea lovers !