J.E Oolong Milky

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “This is just unbelievable. And I do not even like oolongs! Or maybe I should say I didn´t. And did not know plain tea could be like this. PS - I was sort of dubious about it. I am not usually...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 327 tasting notes
  • “More Backlogging: Oh. My. God. This tea tastes absolutely incredible! I visited the Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver and O Dor is the brand they carry in their teahouse/shop. I ordered a cup...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1573 tasting notes
  • “This is my first Milky Oolong.*cteresa* sent me a sample of this J.E.Milky oolong a long time ago and she insisted for me to taste it. You were so right Teresa, this is really an unique tea. I was...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 335 tasting notes
  • “Being a fan of milky oolongs I so, so dearly wanted to try the THE O DOR one... such a pity it's so expensive, but I imagine that's only representative of the quality! I managed to purchase 25g of...” Read full tasting note
    macaronic 82 tasting notes

From THE O DOR

This was almost a mistake of a find. So unusual and great. Hints of natural caramel, vanilla, milk with softness of voluptuous cream. An absolute must-try!

Ideal brewing time: 3 to 6’
Water temperature: 75°C (167°F)

About THE O DOR View company

PS -

I was sort of dubious about it. I am not usually so fond of oolongs, but both the concept of a milk oolong as the reviews about this particular one were tempting. As are Theodor´s tea tins in general – and I am a tin fetishist, and Theodor´s tins rate quite high on my appreciation scale (you can pile them! Close very safely! Colors differ according to tea type…). But Thé-o-dor´s tea tins are always the same price everywhere (20 euros) which is almost always ridiculously expensive for whichever is inside (particularly when it´s hibiscus and fruits). This might actually be the case where the price of the tin is not too ridiculous for this particular tea. I chanced upon a tin of this locally and with a discount, ok, sold!

I then got buyer´s regret as soon as I unsealed the tin – the dry leaf is very oolong-y. Green oolong and I am not a oolong lover. No hints of the promised caramel or vanilla notes. I was so not sure if I was going to love this. But I was going to give it a fair trial. I used not too much tea, maybe 2 grams or even less for a cup and used tap water (it did not seem to matter at all) and followed the brewing instructions in the tin (love that, that the temperature and time is written right at hand).

I dumped the leaves into the damp warmed pot while the new water warmed and something magic started to happen. The scent, while still of oolong tea became much stronger, richer and with totally new notes – fruity, sweet, vanilla-ey, fudgey sort of. Putting the not-too-hot water in the pot, it just became stronger, richer, full of many other scents. I never made any tea where scent changed and evolved so profoundly and so strongly!

The liquor was wonderful. Tea and just tea with nothing artificial but where the scent really was quite unbelievably evocative of other things, sweet, delicious things. Condensed milk sweets, or maybe pineapples somehow, or vanilla. No bitterness or any astringency at all and somehow still with some body. I had this with a bit of honey-rosemary cake and having the cake with its subtle flavours and sweeteness and then the tea was an even better experience. If you have this, have it plain, no milk or sugar, but accompanied by some sweet!

I found myself tipping the cup vertically in order to get at the last drop, and then re-checking the cup again to see if any was left just incase. Besides this being admittedly pathetic is something pretty rare so this rates very very high on my appreciation scale. I tried a second infusion and it was very good, though not quite as perfumed or as intense as the first steep.

This is really amazing tea. And I don´t even like oolongs.

Tangent to topic : something I appreciate in Theodor´s teas is that they give precise tea instructions, which differ from tea blend to tea blend even if they are the same general type of tea, written in the tea. That is priceless to me and gives me confidence they do care about what they are selling. If you are selling tea expensively, please put as much useful information to brewing it properly as possible.

Ysaurella

you seem to appreciate The O Dor !

cteresa

I only tried these two, after a very careful research and they are both big wins! I am trying to get a couple more (loose leaf), hope I like those as much (or 70% as much!) as these first two I got.

I admit that I have some small prejudices about the brand (and one favorable bias in that I love the tins!) but I am impressed so far. Fun ahead – as long as I ignore the stupid stupid prices of the tins and concentrate on the loose leaf.

More Backlogging:
Oh. My. God. This tea tastes absolutely incredible! I visited the Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver and O Dor is the brand they carry in their teahouse/shop. I ordered a cup and a couple of the freshly-made, sweet truffles that were also for sale.

When I first took a sip the tea tasted quite buttery but at the same time rather vegetal – in a good way. But then I took a bite of truffle and had another sip and the explosion of flavour was incredible. It tasted so sweet and creamy with notes of vanilla that I could hardly believe that this was a pure, unflavoured tea. So if you ever have this tea I’d really recommend having it with something sweet – it really enhances the experience, I know I was in absolute heaven.

And I went to buy a tin and was told that it was $84 for a small tin. Maybe next time when I’m feeling (much) richer. 0_0

Bethany

I just had my first milk oolong a few days ago and I know exactly how you feel.. I hate that it’s so expensive, because it’s SO GOOD.

TeaEqualsBliss

Milk Oolong…haven’t had milky oolong…must google

Angrboda

What do they mean ‘milk’ oolong? Is it something to do with the way it’s produced like jade oolongs, or the way it’s brewed, or an additive or something to holds up to adding milk?

TeaEqualsBliss

@ Angrboda…I was wondering the same thing!

Bethany

It has to do with the way it’s produced, actually. According to teaspring, it’s made from tea leaves at certain time, temperature, altitude, soil conditions to get the milky silky texture.

Angrboda

Cool. I’ve never knowingly had any of that. Maybe I’ll give it a go in the not too distant future. :)

takgoti

Ooooooh this sounds good. Like, inappropriately good.

S

@Angrboda, @Bethany I believe there are two kinds of “silk oolongs” (the name for milky oolong teas)—some that are naturally milky tasting because of the way they are produced, and some are actually made with a milk infusion. The milk sugars give the tea a caramelized, buttery taste.

Angrboda

Thanks Shanti, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for that.

Tamara Fox

The O Dor is now my favorite tea company. If you’ve never checked out The Urban Tea Merchant’s website, you should. There are some truly unique teas from The O Dor, including some with tomato and other vegetable flavors. I want to try every one of them. J’Taime is also good – a green with marzipan and, I think, a cherry flavor :)

Jillian

Cool, thanks for the rec. I had a quick look at their tea collection when I was in the shop but I didn’t see that one. This is why I love visiting Vancouver! XD

This is my first Milky Oolong.cteresa sent me a sample of this J.E.Milky oolong a long time ago and she insisted for me to taste it. You were so right Teresa, this is really an unique tea.

I was in hurry when I brewed it and just forgot to smell the dry leaves…so cannot say anything about ! But I smell now the liquor and this is an unbelievable rich and buttery smell.

Its colour is unbelievable as well : so light ! I was suspiscious at the beginning as I thought I made a mistake with the temperature or with the steeping time due to this very very light colour. But it wasn’t any mistake.

The taste is fantastic : so buttery with a hint of vanilla and a kind of sweet milk aftertaste.
This is so mellow, so smooth, it’s incredible !

You were so right to push me to have it cteresa thank you again for this fantastic tea, it goes in the shoppping list for sure.

cteresa

This is probably my favorite tea like ever, I am so glad you tried it! Pretty amazingly magic isn´t it? And somehow, a totally forgiving tea (sometimes the really high class teas are the easiest ones which is weird).

Ysaurella

this is clearly a very high class tea and I am very glad to have had the opprtunity to taste it thanks to you.
It’s so true it’s a very easy tea

Being a fan of milky oolongs I so, so dearly wanted to try the THE O DOR one… such a pity it’s so expensive, but I imagine that’s only representative of the quality! I managed to purchase 25g of this from a lovely tearoom in Perpignan (the only amount I could afford at the time!) which I’m hoping will last me a little while.

First off, it’s a lovely vibrant light gold, and the leaves seem more… folded, than crushed, in comparison to other milky oolongs I’ve tried. They’ve expanded, yes, but a little limp when I think of the oolong leaves of Whittard, which turned out to be artificially flavoured. I wonder if these tender, smaller leaves are indicative of not being artificially flavoured. The aroma is different, too, more softly aromatic like vanilla or cream than a rich buttery scent.

And it certainly has a beautiful flavour! It’s light (perhaps due to the brewing time) and somewhat reminiscent of a dessert. Instead of a heavy dairy-like flavour, like butter, I’m getting light vanilla notes, even slightly biscuit or cake-ish, in between the overall fresh and mild flavour. There’s only the very slightest hint of astringency that builds up after each sip, and it’s so pleasant.. rather than getting addicted to the flavour I’m feeling more like this will make one good round cup of tea.

Next time I’ll change the brewing time or amount of leaves, I think!

cteresa

I have seen one “cheap” milky oolong, a random shop in Portugal. They called it voie lactée and it included flavouring as an ingredient. And it smelled un-tea like, more like instant pudding or something. I have it a pass.

This one is pricey indeed, ouch. It is actually IMO the only Thé-o-dor tin where the tin cames for a reasonable price compared to the loose leaf.

meliorate

@cteresa, the first milky oolong I bought was around £6 for 100g, and the next cheapest one was about £8 for 100g. Both places cited an artificial flavouring process (one literally had milk flavouring added, the other was steamed over hot milk apparently)… so now that I’ve compared a natural one with a flavoured one, the difference in flavour is very obvious. Buttery and over-indulgent = probably artificially flavoured.

It really is! All THE O DOR tins are a little out of my price range right now, but if I was to keep 100g of any tea in their gorgeous tins, it would be this one!

cteresa

Yep. It was the only tin of theirs I ever got, I was totally sorry on the way home, very sorry when I opened it and smelled it, but then I brewed it, fell in love and it´s something I will probably rebuy indeed.

And damn them, the Theodor tins are just awesome. They close really tight, individual brewing instructions on all of them and they pile up in a way really safe where they can not fall off or break open. Pity about the price.

The voie lactee I saw was about that 7 euros per 100 grams.

cteresa

oh forgot to add, the tin of this is only 80 grams. It´s decently filled, this is sort of packed loosely, but only 80 grams.

Like Jillian said: Oh. My. God. I also tasted this tea at the Urban Tea Merchant in Vancouver. I’ve never had a milky oolong before. The tasting I had in the store was actually a little bitter – I think they added too many leaves…but I could taste its potential, so I shelled out the big bucks to bring some of this home. I just brewed up my first pot. I pulled out my Yixing teapot for this one. The instructions recommend brewing it for 5 minutes, which seems kind of long to me. I usually only brew oolongs for a minute or two, but I went light on the amount of leaves I used and 5 minutes seems to have done the trick. It was YUMMY! It smells like butter and has a wonderful smooth creamy flavour. This may be my new favourite oolong. It is wonderful with some dark chocolate. A pot of this tea….some dark chocolate…..a cat on my lap….what could be better?

At present my favourite tea especially with a slice of homemade white bread with red jam.

The scent is very distinctive. I love it but can’t accurately discribe it. Never smelled anything quite like it before. Someone commented that the smell is typical of oolongs. As this is my first oolong I can’t second that.

The taste is very smooth, sweet and buttery. In stead of leaning towards vegetal, is has a somewhat nutty basis (very faint). It also reminds me a bit of avocado’s, not in terms of exact taste, but rather in a likeness of character.

Simply: wow.

This is my first Oolong, so I did not have any expectations. I took it because I am discovering Theodor teas, and this one was on my random shopping list.

The smell in the box is weird, I felt milk and caramel (although there is no caramel at all). It is not the most exciting smell, I almost gave up buying the tea. I stuck with it mainly because I was already about to pay :-).

I find that this tea marries extremely well with the cake and / or cookies.

I steeped at 75C for 5 minutes and at 80C for 3 minutes. I prefer shorter steep at the higher temperature, as I perceive it has more smoothness and character. But in any case this is a rich, voluminous and profound tea.

as a non fan of oolongs, I’m happy ysaurella sent me a sample since she and I have similar feelings regarding oolongs most of the time. :) Since she enjoys this one, i figured i would likely enjoy it as well. And i was right! this has a really nice milk oolong taste without that oily weird thing that sometimes happens with milk oolongs. The flavour was smooth and creamy without being too vegetal or too fake tasting. i think this one and Mandala’s are probably my favourite as far as milk oolongs go.

Merci encore une fois madam!

Ysaurella

I’m so happy you loved this one ! I looooove it but me I am an Oolong lover :)

Must have you confused with someone else… for some reason i thought you didn’t like oolongs.. ah well..either way it was lovely!

Ysaurella

I think we are sisters in Darjeelings in fact :) I am not a huge fan but love some.

yes! i must have been thinking of darjeelings!