Annamalais Fancy

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

Obtained through semi hand-rolling of the leaves, this Oolong stands out from it’s Chinese counterparts and presents characteristics bound to enchant the most discerning of connoisseurs. A garden born from the initiative of a great tea master, it is a first in France and a The Ô Dor exclusive. appearance of leaf: long and twisted. fermentation: 40-60%. taste: typical of best oolongs.

About THE O DOR View company

This is an oolong tea. Really. Honestly. Despite the dry leaves both looking and smelling like a fully-fermented Indian black tea like a Ceylon or an Assam. Now this is an oolong derived from an Indian tea bush, so I suppose it’s somewhat justified – it was just that I was hoping for more of a difference from a black tea.

The taste reminds me of nothing so much as a bakey Ceylon or maybe a lighter, malty Assam. Actually I think it tastes a fair bit like my Dejoo Assam from Specifically Tea. There is perhaps a briefest bit of floral at the beginning of the sip, but it quickly changes into something that tastes baked and faintly bitter, like you’d expect of a black tea. It leaves a malty, burnt-caramel aftertaste in the back of my mouth aswell.

I’m not sure how to rate this, really. It’s not a bad tasting tea, and if it were a black tea I think I’d quite like it. But as an oolong this wasn’t what I expected or was looking for.

I opened my cupboard to find this tea because spelling is not my friend. I was amused to discover that Detox from DavidsTea is my most-drank tea, and since I tend to only drink it after a night of too much booze, that just says a whole lot about my life, doesn’t it XD.

Anyway, I coldbrewed this overnight in an effort to both use this up and have something different. The leaves were a bit of a disappointment as I strained them out. Usually oolongs unfurl beautifully, but these were just brown wilted leaves. Sadness.

I’m not a straight tea drinker, so I couldn’t tell you about any of the nuances of the tea, but I will say it is light and refreshing in a way a black tea could never be, but for me it is nothing special.