Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by The Persimmon Tree

• “The dry leaf smelled great but the wet leaf smells slightly medicinal... uh-oh I did let this steep for a while, I don't know how long because I got busy with some other things. The rooibos has a...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2309 tasting notes
  • “There's always money in the banana stand. I could really go for a chocolate dipped frozen banana right now. Luckily, *Jackie T* sent this my way. This particular banana may be hot instead of...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 489 tasting notes
  • “Another tea I shared with my mom, and another success with Persimmon Tree. If I had to go by smell alone, I wouldn't like this tea at all. It has a medicine-y rooibos smell. Luckily it tastes...” Read full tasting note
    Molybdenum 252 tasting notes
  • “I don't like rooibos or banana, so I had a moment of fear when I got this as a free sample in my last order. But hey, a sample's a sample, and I did want to try it out! The dry "leaves" smell...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

This wonderful dessert tea comprises chocolate, banana, rooibos and pink peppercorn blended with pieces of apple. Great hot or iced.

Organic Fair Trade Rooibos, Organic Cacao Nibs, Organic Apple Bits, Organic Banana Chips, Pink Peppercorn, Chocolate, Natural Flavors

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

I was soooooo looking forward to this tea! Especially since my favorite milkshake is a chocolate banana milkshake from fosters freeze. You get the banana and chocolate flavors but I’m not sure the roobios was a good pair with the flavors. It left a super funky taste. Maybe I’ll try it once more before I toss it in the to-go box.

This tastes a lot like chocolate banana flavored things—not to say it’s artificial necessarily, but you know how there’s that banana smell from confections and stickers and whatnot versus being at home and dipping a fresh banana in chocolate and sticking it in the freezer or fridge? This is more the former than the latter. And that has its place too. On the other hand I am impressed with the almost…juicy tartness of the aroma, like real, fresh banana cooked in something. And the flavor becomes more authentic tasting as it cools. My understanding is banana is hard to get right as tea flavors go. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick, weirdly almost like eating a real banana too.

The rooibos flavor is ever present too, a little more than in some rooibos dessert teas (it doesn’t bother me but just a heads up for those who don’t care for it).

I’m curious how this one would do with a latte treatment…

My quest to drink more rooibos to see if it will help carpal tunnel continues.

2 tsps of tea in 16 oz of water, with 2 tsps of rock sugar.

I think next time I will cut the sugar in half. It’s cloyingly sweet. Other than that, I like this tea. It’s chocolatey and bananay without being overly much so.

The steeped tea smells awful, though. Fair warning.

Not sure how I feel about this one and the rooibos seeped through my steeping mug which didn’t make the first few sips pleasant. I added some sweetener and it stil almost tastes a bit sour? It tastes and smells faintly like banana and chocolate, but only at the front of the sip.

Interesting. My first cup did not match other’s reviews. I got a very mellow rooibos with peppery notes – not hot and spicy, just nicely seasoned. I easily finished the cup. I decided the blend had settled so I poured the tin out into a bowl and mixed it with the scoop. This did change the flavor some. The second cup was light warm chocolate with hints of banana. The pepper moved to the back and meshed nicely. I could taste a light tartness from the apple at the end of the sip. None of the flavors stood out. It is just a nice mellow cup. The most interesting thing to me was how this worked to tame the rooibos. The aroma while steeping is unquestionably rooibos. In the cup it has the rough edges smoothed away. Everything blended together resembled almost a cherry flavor. I found it very easy to drink.

I did not taste any chocolate in this… and perhaps not any banana, either. There was a generic “fruity” taste that you could have told me was strawberry, blueberry, etc. and I would have believed it. (In other words, the flavor was not distinctly banana. This is in contrast to Persimmon’s Banana Coconut tea, which I quite liked and clearly detected both main flavors.) The red rooibos flavor was the strongest. This was definitely drinkable, but far from delicious.

(Sample from silentrequiem. Thanks!)