Green Herbal Blend
Anise, Pepper, Spinach, Stems, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Alphakitty

• “This is my favorite tea from The Persimmon Tree. The other reviews run the full range from hate it to love it and all points in between. The base green is a strong vegetal tea bordering on bitter...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1358 tasting notes
  • “OMG I LOVE This and I for one hate anise! So let me tell you the first impression I got from this is flowery black pepper! Then a creamy sensation took over. Then a floral after taste - but wait...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this is really good cold steeped. I kinda forgot this in the fridge, so it has been steeping for 2 days. Very little bitterness compared to it hot, and lots of smooth, creamy vanilla and...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1056 tasting notes
  • “I'm on a tea-buying hiatus in order to control the massive amount of space my tea cupboard takes up. I bought over 100 types (not including any samples) in only 3 months. ;~; So, no more tea...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

A unique combination of hand-harvested fresh lotus blossoms blended with green loose leaf tea in an ancient scenting method comprises our Lotus Green tea. Prepared in small batches by Vietnamese traditional artisans, the unique essence of these spring-harvested flowers is released and absorbed directly into the tea. The Lotus green tea brews a pleasant, slightly sharp flavor similar to star anise, with a subtle vanilla finish. Be sure to steep multiple times to fully appreciate the flavor of these sweet, aromatic lotus blossoms infused in our Lotus Flower tea.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Well this is a really interesting tea. The dry leaf smells exactly as described, star anise with vanilla. It brews up to a pretty light yellow and smells mainly of vanilla with a bit of pepper. So far so good. As for the taste… huh. It’s a bit difficult to describe. The anise flavors are very muted with a mixed grassy & floral flavor up front, then strong vanilla right after.
I just kind of can’t make up my mind about it. I like the hints of vanilla, but there’s something a little off about it. I think it’s the vegetal-ness combined with how strong the vanilla comes through. I’ll finish off the rest of the sample and see how I feel about it. Maybe it’s a bit of an acquired taste?

Flavors: Anise, Vanilla

K S

This is my favorite The Persimmon Tree tea. It is green tea scented with lotus – that’s it. There is no vanilla or anise added but those flavors definitely are present. Love this stuff.

cookies

Since vanilla is from orchids I have to wonder if it is closely related lotus. If I didn’t know what flavor it was I would definitely say it was vanilla.

This is my last sample from Persimmon Tree Tea Company, and the one I’ve been avoiding. I didn’t know that star anise is similar to licorice when I requested this sample. I did realize it when I smelled the tea once it arrived. I really really don’t like licorice. Still, I tried to give this a fair chance, I really really did. But the licorice taste was to strong for me.

On the plus side, I’ve you’re a fan of licorice, this is a tea for you.

Cheri

black licorice is just nasty, nasty stuff. Blech.

I had a half teaspoon of this I took from the Here’s Hoping teabox. So I brewed a half a mug. It’s an interesting half mug! It’s a very bright green with a surprising amount of flavor for half a teaspoon and the lotus adds an interesting flavor… tough to describe… kind of sweet. Should it remind me of jasmine, just less distinct? The second cup is even better but very different. More marine like. More floral. I wouldn’t mind some more of this in the ol’ cupboard. Maybe I’d be able to describe it better. haha.

1940 tasting notes

One thing I found surprising was how much the flavor of this tea varies depending on the preperation method. The first two cups I prepared according the the suggested brewing instructions using water that was 180°F and steeping the leaves for 1 minute. If you take a sip just as the tea has finished steeping it tastes very strongly of steamed vegetables, but as the tea cools towards room temperature a variety of other flavors start to make themselves known. There is still a hint of vegetal flavor, but a sweet vanilla bean flavor starts to take over. Every once-in-awhile I get a hint of something else. I’m not sure that I would call it star anise as they do in the description. That has more of a licorice-like flavor, this is more of a spicy bite that is more akin to black pepper. It makes for a very interesting contrast with the sweet vanilla flavor.

You can read the full review on my blog:

I would like to thank Nghia from The Persimmon Tree Tea Company for sending me this tea for review.

This was not at all what I was expecting. It tastes HARDCORE like cooked green vegetables, with a floral taste that is secondary. It is very strong on first steep, even only having steeped for a minute. Next time I would start with a shorter one to see if I could tone down the steamed veggie taste. It borders on bitter but isn’t actually bitter, it is just the strength of the tea taste coming through. Recommended for those who like a nontraditional green, who love strong flavors, or really love veggie flavor.

It’s been probably two weeks since I tried this (I am way behind on my tea-logging), so I should probably log this when I next try it. The aroma of the dry leaves is… weird and not appealing, so I was nervous about how this would taste. Fortunately, the taste was much better than the smell! It was subtle and relaxing. It has a flowery flavor, but not the lack of a sweet flower aroma made it taste quite different from other flower teas (basically, the polar opposite of jasmine, which is strong, sweet, and demands attention). The subtle flavor made it a nice “wind down” evening tea, but I wasn’t particularly excited about this. I have so many other teas I like more than this right now so I may have some trouble finishing my sample of this… It’s not bad, but it’s not distinctive.