Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by KallieBoo!

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

The Coconut Puerh Tea is a unique blend of organic pu-erh loose-leaf tea, cocoa nibs and coconut provides a smooth, full, slightly sweet flavor with a mild hazelnut finish.

This loose-leaf puerh tea with coconut flavor can be steeped multiple times.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Geez… waiting for this to cool and the smell is driving me crazy(in a good way of course)! It smells soooo yummy.
This tea is very creamy.. At first it reminds me of coffee, it has a nice coconut/nutty flavor to it then runs into chocolatey nuttyness. The aftertaste kind of reminds me of a graham cracker.. or a marshmallow? I’m so confused. ANYWAYS this tea is fantastic whatever the aftertaste is.

I think I got this sample from momo but I’m not entirely sure. I opened the envelope from her last week and then it got mixed with other stuff.

Anyway, I didn’t realize this was a pu-erh tea. Generally I do NOT like pu-erh teas, but I haven’t tried a flavoured one before now so this may be what the doctor ordered. Possibly a gateway drug into the world of pu-erh? I had another sample of this directly from The Persimmon Tree, but since I got this sample from my trader friend, I sent that one off to someone else. The sample I got was just enough for a normal sized pot for me, maybe a little weaker than it nominally would be, but that’s not a bad thing.

I’m drinking this now and while the coconut and cacao work well together and taste good, I’m still not liking the base tea very much. It adds a flavour to the taste and especially to the aftertaste that is musty and earthy and very pu-erh if that makes sense and it’s just not to my taste. It is an interesting tea though. Definitely weaker than I might be expecting otherwise but I’m pretty sure that I’m not going to finish this pot. Just had a big gulp and it made the pu-erh flavour worse.

Glad I got to try this but it just confirmed my feelings on pu-erh tea.

I’m leaving out a rating because since drinking this I have decided that I just do not like pu-erh teas at all, so I have a pretty biased opinion. I love coconut in a tea blend and based on the ingredients I had hoped to get a new favorite. Unfortunately upon even opening the sample package I thought the tea smelled, well, gross. I wanted to try it anyway, and brewed it up as instructed, but after a sip I couldn’t bring myself to finish the mug. Definitely not at all “my cup of tea.”

TTTTB

I’ve come to realize that Coconut is just in the Evil League of Teavil for me…there’s something almost vomit-esque about the flavour that keeps me from fully enjoying any tea that it’s in.

I had forgotten that when I brewed up this cup…it brewed up to a lovely rich brew, so I decided to give it a try. Verdict? I still hate coconut.

There was an overwhelmingly oily coconut flavour that completely smothered the earthy tones of the pu’erh and that just made the whole cup revolting. It went down the drain, but for the sake of those who can tolerate coconut I’ll refrain from rating this particular cup of bleargh.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
jeweledthumb

Speaking as someone who loves coconut, I didn’t like this one either.