Butter, Citrus Fruits, Cream
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “I tried making this three times before both the sample and my patience had been exhausted. This peeps instead of pops, and each time I was left craving something richer and more powerful. Adding...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 251 tasting notes
  • “Got a sample of this tea due to an order mishap, but I do have to commend the Persimmon Tree for promptly correcting it! Great customer service! Anyway, I thought I would give this one a try,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 504 tasting notes
  • “Well, that is certainly fragrant. The flavour is more mild. Good, but needs vanilla. (I ended up having mine with vanilla almond milk.)” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 366 tasting notes
  • “Wow this tea has a very strong fragrance brewing, of vanilla and flowers. I'm not complaining--I prefer my earls on the strong, heavily fragrant side, and able to withstand some milk or raw...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

“This Earl Grey tea features a beautiful blend of organic black loose-leaf tea hand-blended with fragrant oil of bergamot and a touch of French vanilla. Refreshing citrus notes and a rich and robust finish make this Earl Grey cream black tea the perfect pick-me-up.”

Additional Information

“Organic and Biodynamic Black Loose-Leaf Tea, Organic Cornflowers, Organic Oil of Bergamot, Natural Flavors, Earl Grey Heaven Black Tea”

Characteristics

195˚

Steep Time
3-5 mins

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

I tried making this three times before both the sample and my patience had been exhausted. This peeps instead of pops, and each time I was left craving something richer and more powerful. Adding milk was the only way to salvage some enjoyment from it, but even then it just wasn’t for me.

You can see pictures and additional notes here:

Anyway, I thought I would give this one a try, even though I tend to stay away from earl grey in general. I thought I might like this one, since it has the promise of vanilla in addition to bergamot. I do like earl grey-like teas that have something additional in them (Harney’s Paris for example).

This earl grey has very bright flavor. The bergamot was pretty strong, and very lemon-y in this case. I did get some vanilla, but for me, it wasn’t enough to round out the brightness of the bergamot. Earl grey lovers may like this one though.

Dkcox50

I’d have to agree with you on liking Earl Grey with a little something else in it. :)

Wow this tea has a very strong fragrance brewing, of vanilla and flowers. I’m not complaining—I prefer my earls on the strong, heavily fragrant side, and able to withstand some milk or raw sugar.

This one’s strong in flavor too! Could definitely be cut with milk and/or sugar. A little bitterness but not much, next time I could steep it for slightly less time if I didn’t want to deal with milk, but it’s fine solo right now really. Sweetness and vanilla, lots of that “extract” and perfume feel. I could be misidentifying but I think I can actually see specks of vanilla bean at the bottom of my cup, and that doesn’t surprise me given the aroma and taste. The citrus comes in at the end, a nice surprise and not too tart but definitely present enough to keep you on your toes.

This is one of those Big Ones as earls go, clobbering you all-around—in vanilla, in bergamot, in everything. For me, that’s not a problem!

looseTman

1. Does the very strong vanilla overshadow the oil of bergamot flavor? Or, can you equally appreciate both of these key ingredients?
2. Does the vanilla flavor taste in any way artificial?
Thanks

I feel bad rating this so low, but it’s not for me. I’m not generally a big fan of Earl Grey’s to begin with and this one comes across as too perfumey for me.

I’ll add to my sample box or something.

This tea smells like a holiday kitchen. Creamy, buttery, cookie-like sweetness. It tastes quite the same as it smells. Very strong on the cream, but with a bright bergamot to cut through. The bergamot seems very lemon-y and it is reminding me of very strongly of my favorite lemon shortbread cookies. This is a beautiful dessert tea with zero bitterness. Yum.
I take my tea without additions, but I can imagine this being beautiful with milk and sugar. I bet it would taste even more cookie-like.

Flavors: Butter, Citrus Fruits, Cream

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Interesting. When labeled Earl Grey Creme this received an 84 average rating. As Earl Grey Heaven it has a 71. Hmmm.

OK, I love bergamot. Earl Grey is not just a tea, it is an addiction. If you mess with it you better change the name – blue cornflowers are an exception, they add nothing to the flavor and are just too cute to dislike. I hate surprises when it comes to EG. The Persimmon Tree clues me in advance that this is not simply black tea and bergamot by adding Heaven to the name. So I will not be taking off points just because there is added vanilla.

The dry scent was almost alcoholic in nature so I wasn’t sure what I was in for here. The wet leaf had a similar aroma. The cup though is very nice. It is very balanced. I know this because if you read all the reviews under both listings there are an equal number saying the vanilla is heavier than the bergamot and vice versa. How you judge it depends on which flavor you want most to taste or which you dislike the most. For me personally, the vanilla could be tuned down a notch but then it would not be balanced.

This not at all bitter. It is slightly drying. As the vanilla/bergamot fade I can briefly taste the tea base before the vanilla bean aftertaste kicks in. I thought this was one of the better EGC’s I have tried. The closest comparison is The Tea Merchant’s French Earl Grey. I recall that one leaning a little heavier on the vanilla.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Lala

+1. Well said!

keychange

Yes, the Tea merchant’s EGC is pretty vanilla-heavy.

Sipdown (192/194)!

Apparently I can’t type right now – my fingers are all fumbly. Anyway, this one comes from Boychik, and I took advantage of the easy sipdown this afternoon (it feels like morning, EG is morning tea). I even got another “sipdown” in from adding tea to a bunch of stuff eventually going out to VariaTEA (she’s gonna get the last of my Demain). Pressure’s on to sip down some stuff before more things arrive – I don’t exactly feel excited about maybe getting over 200 again.

Dry, this some lightly of Bergamot and strongly of vanilla. Mmm! That could certainly be a winning combination for me!

Now that it’s steeped up, it’s a little more 50/50 between the two but it really is very delicious and well balanced; a great EG Creme. I seem to be drinking lots of EG lately, I guess due to having received a fair bit of it this week (last week?) and I’m a little tired of it at the moment – so I think it may be a little while after this cup before I have some more, though.

Still, very nice.