Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

• “TeaBox B -- thanks again everyone! Right away, this reminded me of the other Persimmon Tree tea I had, even if I couldn't remember what that was at the moment. Coconut cream? The sweet...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1061 tasting notes
  • “I was packaging up some of this tea for a swap and realized that I hadn't tried it yet. Silly me. So I brewed up a cup while my husband and I watched the latest DVD release of Castle. I used just...” Read full tasting note
    jeweledthumb 240 tasting notes
  • “I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this. I love oolongs, but flavored oolongs? Well, I gave it a try. It's not bad. The flavor is a bit weird, though. I can't taste any lemon at all,...” Read full tasting note
    silentrequiem 262 tasting notes
  • “I took the rest of this out of Traveling Teabox B some time ago and have only just now gotten around to trying it... The loose leaf smelled vaguely citrus-y, which I guessed was the lemon myrtle. ...” Read full tasting note
    teataku 174 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

Our Mandarin Cream tea awakens the senses with oolong loose tea leaves, hints of cream and a stimulating citrus finish. Blended with lemon myrtle, marigolds, and natural essence of vanilla, Mandarin Cream is a rich and smooth tea experience with an utterly heavenly aroma.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

TeaBox B — thanks again everyone! Right away, this reminded me of the other Persimmon Tree tea I had, even if I couldn’t remember what that was at the moment. Coconut cream? The sweet vanilla/cream flavor is there mostly. I can’t really tell it’s oolong or mandarin after a four minute steep. It’s just okay! I think the “cream” used here works better with the coconut.

Also, why does my throat feel like constant rooibos now? I haven’t any rooibos since this morning. It seems like I notice the rooibos scratch more and more. I think I should just invest in some teabag wraps to make sure the rooibos doesn’t get in the cup… but I thought that problem was solved with my mesh infuser!

I was packaging up some of this tea for a swap and realized that I hadn’t tried it yet. Silly me. So I brewed up a cup while my husband and I watched the latest DVD release of Castle. I used just under 2 tsp of the leaves since Oolongs tend to go a ways.

I sweetened it as always and it is a very smooth creamy vanilla with a hint of citrus. I’ve heard it’s comparable to Davidstea Vanilla Orchid Oolong which should be coming my way soon so I’ll be able to compare. I got another steep out of it but it tastes like it is losing a bit of flavor. Still, I think I’ll keep one of the two around if they are similar.

Tealizzy

Ooh, vanilla orchid is really good. :)

JustJames

i don’t remember which is which but one of their vanilla’s is more purist, and the other much more a buttercream to my tastebuds. i preferred the former myself… sounds like you might appreciate the latter?

I don’t know what I was thinking when I ordered this. I love oolongs, but flavored oolongs?

Well, I gave it a try. It’s not bad. The flavor is a bit weird, though. I can’t taste any lemon at all, or marigold – though I don’t know what marigold tastes like so for all I know I am tasting it, and it tastes exactly like the vanilla flavoring. I even added some sugar to try and bring out the other flavors but no go.

I won’t be buying this again.

I took the rest of this out of Traveling Teabox B some time ago and have only just now gotten around to trying it…

The loose leaf smelled vaguely citrus-y, which I guessed was the lemon myrtle. Not a really appealing smell, to be honest. It’s floral and tangy at the same time, but in a way that just is not doing it for me.

Once it cooled off enough to drink, I decided I’d try it unsweetened first. The liquor smells again very strongly of lemon myrtle, but now I’m getting the vanilla in the aroma. Perhaps it won’t be so bad. Not that I have anything against lemon myrtle, but for some reason, the smell of it is turning me off, like maybe I had a bad experience with it that I can’t quite remember at the moment…

Hmm, I have decided my verdict: this tea is bleh. It could speak to the age of the sample (which is unknown by me, maybe someone knows), but the lemon myrtle is just not as good as it could be. I’m assuming that’s what’s causing the tangy-floral flavor that I’m not liking. It’s borderline metallic, almost, and the more it cools, the more astringent the pouchong is, which doesn’t help. In a word, nope.

First Sip Thought: “Hello Spring”

Smell: Inhale the aroma and you will be in heaven. I find the smell to be light but the marigold petals are definitely made evident.

Taste: A best seller indeed. I’ve slowly become a frequent oolong drinker and this one can easily be on my list of favourites. Like the scent, the taste is subtle with a hint of sweetness. I was very impressed that it was not bitter at all. I was a bit confused why it was called “cream” until I took a sip and noticed a lingering taste of natural vanilla. The vanilla flavour is a nice touch and compliments the citrus well. The lemon myrtle and marigold petals instantly make me think of spring time (which could come sooner rather than later!) Overall, this tea is quite delicious and I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a flavourful, yet smooth flavoured oolong tea.

www.theteacupoflife.blogspot.com

interesting. almost tempted to try this even though i’m not a fan of oolongs most of the time hah

The Cup of Life - Lu Ann

haha…good to hear! well, everyone has different likes but I definitely say this is one to try at least :) i hope you enjoy it!