Edit tea info Last updated by moraiwe

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

Periwinkle combines the best of two sensations: thick and creamy. The dark, thick black leaves of Assam tea and soothing star shaped vanilla bits create a visually appealing and delicious black and white infusion. Pour a warm cup of this mixture, and enjoy the unique, delicious combination of thick Assam and creamy vanilla.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Finished off the rest of my sample of this, and I have to say I really like it. I tried other black and white tea blends, but this one is the best so far. It must be the addition of vanilla. As a follow-up to my first note on this tea, it didn’t matter that the white tea star wasn’t in this steep. Still tasted the same. I will probably pick up more of this when I reorder from the persimmon tree!

I’m working on a knitted shawl, so far, very easy and I’m about 30% done in like 2 days, and I could work on it more if I wanted to.

Anyways, drinking tea, knitting and listening to Super Junior (Eunhyuk fan here!). How about a new black blend? I gotta say, Periwinkle is a great name for a tea!

Periwinkle, hmmm. This is hard to rate, but was easy to review. My 1oz tin only had one white tea flower thing, so I only had a small teapot with it. It’s got a nice rich and bold black tea, with a vanilla smoothness, ending with a bit of floral sweet. And slightly bitter.
Sweetened, no bitterness. As a regular cup of tea, ehh, not my type of tea. The bitterness wasn’t for me and the white tea didn’t come out much (but could be my lack of white tea)
Latte however, Periwinkle is quite good – very vanillay and smooth. I’d probably drink the rest of the tin only as latte, or gift it to someone who is a bigger black tea fan. I let my roommate (ex coffee drinker) have some and he was going crazy “I could drink this every day!”

Full review on my blog, Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/periwinkle-from-the-persimmon-tree-tea-review/

Terri HarpLady

Hmm, sounds like something I’d like. I haven’t ordered anything from persimmon tree yet. I’ll have to put that on my list!

Here’s hoping tea box

Overly sweet, fake-tasting vanilla. The base was decently madly and full-bodied, but I had to poor half the cup out because of the vanilla flavoring.

1995 tasting notes

The last two days I’ve had a grand total of three cups of tea and I think the lack is starting to affect my sanity (then again it could be the sick toddler, hard to tell.) I don’t drink much in the way of black tea anymore, but when I saw this one, which is a combination of black and white teas it intrigued me. I’ve never seen the two blended together before.

This certainly is a bold black tea and an interesting combination. It steeped up nice and dark and ended up being just what I needed today. It had the added benefit of making the house smell delicious. Taste wise the black tea comes across strong although it has a hint of bitterness which gets stronger as it cools. I think I might try a slightly lower temperature with the last of my sample and see what happens with that. While I love the taste of the vanilla and the creaminess it adds, I think the amount of bitterness detracts from the blend a bit.

The second steep was much less bitter and more to my tastes. The vanilla still stood out, but not as much as the initial steep.

I finished up the last bit of my sample today (sipdown!) and it was tasty. It’s been very cold lately and this creamy vanilla tea really hit the spot. I will certainly order more of this blend in the future.

I got 2 steepings out of the leaves and added sweetener in my 16oz steeping mug.

JustJames

i like the name of this one…. makes me think of beatrix potter and hedgehogs, lol.

Merlin sipdown. I recently discovered that I really like assam. This is nice, with mild vanilla flavor. It needs to be sampled with the rock sugar.

My Cyber Monday order from Persimmon Tree arrived yesterday! I was initially going to reorder Vanilla Bean until I noticed Periwinkle, which seemed similar, so I ordered a sample of this tea to compare. It’s been a while since I had vanilla bean, but I think I preferred the more classic vanilla ice cream-esque taste from vanilla bean than this tea. Periwinkle has a more subtle vanilla taste, but there is also something off about it to me. I’m starting to think that it might be the Assam base. Luckily, I ordered a sample of straight Assam, so I can get to the bottom of this. Just a few months ago, I was trying to untangle the differences between black, green, oolong, and white, and now I’m realizing how different teas can be within these categories. It’s pretty exciting, but also a little exhausting, exploring them all and trying to figure out which ones I prefer personally.

Up way before dawn. While zapping spam and catching up on tasting notes, I decided to have this again this morning. Today I made a 4 oz concentrate then added milk and a little sweetener for a latte. Very comforting, though it would have been better as an evening cup. I don’t like being jarred awake but this is a little too cozy for 6:00 AM. Don’t know until you try. Warm. Silky. Vanilla.

gooood morning! :)

K S

Goooood morning back at you. Aren’t you going to crash soon, or is that Irish Breakfast going to carry you through?

haha i have to stay up until at least 2pm…and at that point, i might as well stay up until i go to bed in the evening

mrmopar

I see you are an “early bird” too.

Terri HarpLady

Good morning to you both! I had the luxury of sleeping in until 8:30 today.

K S

I’m definitely not a morning person. Rolling out at 8:30 sounds good to me. I normally am most alert around 9:00 in the evening. One of the meds I am taking at the moment wakes me up around 4!

So I got 2oz of this tea from Persimmon Tree’s 20% off + free shipping sale a few weeks ago around the 4th. I couldn’t resist getting a few of their teas-one of the most awesome sales to me!
What appealed to me in this tea was the possibility that it would taste like vanilla mixed in with the assam. As it steeped I could mainly smell the black tea with hints of vanilla. But when it cooled down enough to drink the vanilla really hit me.
You can still taste the black tea of course, but it’s not really malty or anything too distinct.
This tea reminds me a lot of Harney&Sons, Vanilla Comoro which I adore!
It’s basically the more subtle version of Vanilla Comoro.
I wouldn’t go out of my way to get more of this tea, but if they have another awesome sale like before (fingers crossed for Black Friday/Cyber Monday) I’ll definitely purchase more. Another nice vanilla tea!

I’ve been looking for a plain vanilla tea for quite a while now, and this just might be what I settle on. I found the vanilla pretty clean and natural tasting with absolutely no odd aftertaste. Perfect, and surprisingly hard to find. The base is a little bitter, but I think that’s my fault as they recommend a 205°F brewing temperature and I brewed at 212°. I’m not the biggest fan of vanilla teas as-is, but I like keeping them on hand to mix with earl greys or other flavored teas. The vanilla is pretty strong so I think it would stand up well to mixing.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML