Edit tea info Last updated by moraiwe

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

Periwinkle combines the best of two sensations: thick and creamy. The dark, thick black leaves of Assam tea and soothing star shaped vanilla bits create a visually appealing and delicious black and white infusion. Pour a warm cup of this mixture, and enjoy the unique, delicious combination of thick Assam and creamy vanilla.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Finished off the rest of my sample of this, and I have to say I really like it. I tried other black and white tea blends, but this one is the best so far. It must be the addition of vanilla. As a follow-up to my first note on this tea, it didn’t matter that the white tea star wasn’t in this steep. Still tasted the same. I will probably pick up more of this when I reorder from the persimmon tree!

I’m working on a knitted shawl, so far, very easy and I’m about 30% done in like 2 days, and I could work on it more if I wanted to.

Anyways, drinking tea, knitting and listening to Super Junior (Eunhyuk fan here!). How about a new black blend? I gotta say, Periwinkle is a great name for a tea!

Periwinkle, hmmm. This is hard to rate, but was easy to review. My 1oz tin only had one white tea flower thing, so I only had a small teapot with it. It’s got a nice rich and bold black tea, with a vanilla smoothness, ending with a bit of floral sweet. And slightly bitter.
Sweetened, no bitterness. As a regular cup of tea, ehh, not my type of tea. The bitterness wasn’t for me and the white tea didn’t come out much (but could be my lack of white tea)
Latte however, Periwinkle is quite good – very vanillay and smooth. I’d probably drink the rest of the tin only as latte, or gift it to someone who is a bigger black tea fan. I let my roommate (ex coffee drinker) have some and he was going crazy “I could drink this every day!”

Full review on my blog, Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/periwinkle-from-the-persimmon-tree-tea-review/

Terri HarpLady

Hmm, sounds like something I’d like. I haven’t ordered anything from persimmon tree yet. I’ll have to put that on my list!

Here’s hoping tea box

Overly sweet, fake-tasting vanilla. The base was decently madly and full-bodied, but I had to poor half the cup out because of the vanilla flavoring.

The last two days I’ve had a grand total of three cups of tea and I think the lack is starting to affect my sanity (then again it could be the sick toddler, hard to tell.) I don’t drink much in the way of black tea anymore, but when I saw this one, which is a combination of black and white teas it intrigued me. I’ve never seen the two blended together before.

This certainly is a bold black tea and an interesting combination. It steeped up nice and dark and ended up being just what I needed today. It had the added benefit of making the house smell delicious. Taste wise the black tea comes across strong although it has a hint of bitterness which gets stronger as it cools. I think I might try a slightly lower temperature with the last of my sample and see what happens with that. While I love the taste of the vanilla and the creaminess it adds, I think the amount of bitterness detracts from the blend a bit.

The second steep was much less bitter and more to my tastes. The vanilla still stood out, but not as much as the initial steep.

I finished up the last bit of my sample today (sipdown!) and it was tasty. It’s been very cold lately and this creamy vanilla tea really hit the spot. I will certainly order more of this blend in the future.

I got 2 steepings out of the leaves and added sweetener in my 16oz steeping mug.

JustJames

i like the name of this one…. makes me think of beatrix potter and hedgehogs, lol.

Merlin sipdown. I recently discovered that I really like assam. This is nice, with mild vanilla flavor. It needs to be sampled with the rock sugar.

My Cyber Monday order from Persimmon Tree arrived yesterday! I was initially going to reorder Vanilla Bean until I noticed Periwinkle, which seemed similar, so I ordered a sample of this tea to compare. It’s been a while since I had vanilla bean, but I think I preferred the more classic vanilla ice cream-esque taste from vanilla bean than this tea. Periwinkle has a more subtle vanilla taste, but there is also something off about it to me. I’m starting to think that it might be the Assam base. Luckily, I ordered a sample of straight Assam, so I can get to the bottom of this. Just a few months ago, I was trying to untangle the differences between black, green, oolong, and white, and now I’m realizing how different teas can be within these categories. It’s pretty exciting, but also a little exhausting, exploring them all and trying to figure out which ones I prefer personally.

Oh man oh man oh man. I am so glad to be home. With my cold and everything (luckily – or not so much so with my asthma – it seems to be a chest cold, so I can still taste things).

I love my mom’s dogs, but I don’t know if I could ever do three of them in my future. Between the one that sometime eats so fast she throws up, and the one that hurt herself in the snow and the one that has an insanely sensitive stomach and as a result taught me how to steam vac a carpet. Yeah, I don’t think I could do it.

Tea related, though. I’d thought I’d reviewed this before. I know I’ve drank it, as I’m nearing the bottom of the tin. But whatever.

The stars of white tea add some fun visual interest in my steeper, though really they add little to nothing flavor-wise. The real star is the creamy, and slightly sweet vanilla flavor. It tames the slight bitterness of the Assam, and overall makes a rich cup with a thick mouthfeel.

I’m not blown away by this as a vanilla tea, and I’m not sure if I’d reorder , but it’s far from the worst I’ve had.

Anna

I’d say those dogs are very lucky to have your mom. And hey – steam vac? Always a handy skill to have.

moraiwe

Everyone who knows her (and the dogs) says the same. :) She loves them like her children, and they know it.

Comparing to Persimmon Tree’s Vanilla Bean, I like this one much better. The vanilla’s a little more subtle and I like the base tea quite a bit. I’d drink it hot or iced all day long.