Absinthe, Cherry, Cocoa, Malt, Oak wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

2 Images

• “Thanks for the lovely sample, *Cavocorax*! I actually dreamt last night that I was reaching over for this sample to give it a go, so when I woke up, I thought that I might as well FOLLOW MY DREAMS....” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 830 tasting notes
  • “Add this one to the list (and everybody needs a supply of these) of morning teas that are no-muss, no-fuss; nondescript, but extremely drinkable. This is not a malty Assam that clouts you over...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1737 tasting notes
  • “I seem to really like Assam tea. I got this sample along with the genmaicha sample a few weeks ago. This Assam actually doesn't feel as malty as others I've had. There's something else to it, but...” Read full tasting note
    Ostdalost 248 tasting notes
  • “This is one of those introductions to today's tea that is a little lame, I had a mostly uneventful day today and sadly I have not really had any inspiring thoughts. I did some laundry, had some...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 387 tasting notes

From The Persimmon Tree Tea Company

This smooth, malty infusion is the perfect alternative to coffee. Assam Gold can be steeped multiple times while retaining its flavor. Golden in color, this import from Northern India is a thick, comfortable black tea brew that warms and energizes after a tough, bitter, cold day.

About The Persimmon Tree Tea Company View company

Thanks for the lovely sample, Cavocorax! I actually dreamt last night that I was reaching over for this sample to give it a go, so when I woke up, I thought that I might as well FOLLOW MY DREAMS.

I also dreamt that I tried to order Butiki’s Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black since I haven’t tried it yet and have been wanting to, but it was out of stock, and I was tremendously sad. Really, brain? I mean, really?

So I steeped this up and took a sip. It’s a classic Assam, malty and full-bodied, but a little on the astringent side, and still not as malty as I would like, since that’s my favourite part about Assams. I added some half-and-half cream and a touch of honey and it’s making a pleasant late breakfast beverage.

Add this one to the list (and everybody needs a supply of these) of morning teas that are no-muss, no-fuss; nondescript, but extremely drinkable. This is not a malty Assam that clouts you over the head. It’s gently bread-crusty instead. Thanks, k s, I liked it.

I seem to really like Assam tea. I got this sample along with the genmaicha sample a few weeks ago. This Assam actually doesn’t feel as malty as others I’ve had. There’s something else to it, but I can’t place it….
Still a good tea, but Tealux already has this one covered. :P

This is one of those introductions to today’s tea that is a little lame, I had a mostly uneventful day today and sadly I have not really had any inspiring thoughts. I did some laundry, had some tea, walked to the drug store, watched some lectures, and did a bit of writing. Also Tao did something clever, she learned that meowing in front of the closed window and trying to pull open the window with her paw was a clear way to get me to open the window. That was my day!

Today’s tea is Assam Gold from The Persimmon Tree Tea Company, a lovely black tea from Assam, India, with a sprinkling of curly, fuzzy, golden tipped leaves. You all know me, you know that if my tea has fuzzy, golden leaves I am immediately happy, I am not too hard to please. The aroma is rich and malty with sweet notes of dried cherries. This fades to a blend of cocoa and tobacco with a touch of cedar at the finish.

After what seems like an eternity of steeping (one of the side-effects of doing a bunch of gongfu brewing, all those short steeps!) the aroma if the wet leaves is brisk and sweet, almost surprisingly sweet! There are strong notes of cherries and malt with a faint finish of molasses. The liquid is richly sweet with a tiny bit of tartness, like a more tart cherry. Accompanying this are notes of malt and molasses.

Well, this is certainly not a mild or unassuming tea! The initial taste is quite bold and bit brisk, with notes of cherries, cocoa, and a touch of oak which adds a bit of astringency. This fades to a rich malt that lingers as an aftertaste. Feeling whimsical I added a bit of cream and sugar, this takes away the briskness and that touch of astringency and leaves a rich and very malty cup. The notes of fruit and cocoa are not as strong, there is more of an earthiness as well. I found this tea quite good both creamed and sweetened and straight, it is a great breakfast tea.

For blog and photo: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-persimmon-tree-tea-company-assam.html

Flavors: Absinthe, Cherry, Cocoa, Malt, Oak wood

I steeped a teapot full of this tea even though it was after dinner, and I probably should have cut off my caffeine intake at that point. But my mom requested black tea, so who am I to deny her request? She was surprised at how sweet this tea was compared to black tea bags. Cue long conversation in which I explain to her the differences between tea bags and loose leaf and why tea bag tea can be so bitter in comparison.

Anyway, this time around, there was still that mild malt flavor, but I also finally put a finger on the sweetness of the tea. It tastes just like honey. I’m not sure how I missed that before because it was so obvious this time. It’s definitely a mellower black tea, but that is probably a good thing since I drank it so late in the evening. There was some astringency, but it wasn’t too off-putting. I had a pretty lovely time with this tea tonight, and I’d consider repurchasing when I run low on straight black teas (which is going to take a while).

Edit: As the cup cooled down, the honey flavor definitely popped up and became even stronger. Perhaps this would be a good tea to cold brew? I’m putting it on the list.

I enjoyed this – it was very full bodied and had some astringency that I was worried would turn bitter, but it did not. I don’t think I am the biggest fan of such strong bold black teas in general, so I don’t think I would buy more of this. But anyone who likes bolder blacks or really strong tea taste would probably like this.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

My only cup of tea this afternoon :( But it is really hitting the spot :) Back in my tea bag days I hated Assam. Turns out it is pretty good if you use decent loose leaf and don’t boil it to death.

After my morning cup the contractor and his foreman showed up at my house to kill off the items on my punch list – things that they missed or that didn’t suit me. My list seemed longer than it really was, so it only took half a day, then they packed what little they had left behind from last week and are now gone. Just got to get the gutters installed and then it is all ours to deal with. I put a pic up on my blog for those who want to see.

Ysaurella

I love your “brand new” house and love the last sentences of your blog post as well, we should never give up in life.

Terri HarpLady

Awesome porch addition!

K S

Thanks!

gmathis

Porches are just so homey and welcoming!

mrmopar

Love sitting on the porch with a cup.